missed pick again

bills_red

The choice to many seemed like a no brainer. Terrence Cody the SEC NT that no one could run block to a team moving to a 34 and needing a big NT. Nope we go with the kid from UCF and looks like that was a bad pick. While I like Troup as a person he isn't living up to his pick. Yea he has had injuries way to many but when he plays he isnt doing much(this yr and last yr). While Cody is the starting NT on a very good D.

The Ravens credit NT Terrence Cody for their stout run defense after moving on from Kelly Gregg.

"He dominates in there quite a bit," coach John Harbaugh said. "He is big, he is athletic, he is moving so well, he stays square. ... I know you put him in there with Haloti, and I think our linebackers appreciate having those two guys in the middle." The Ravens have done a commendable job of mixing in young defensive talent to go with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Edited by bills_red

The choice to many seemed like a no brainer. Terrence Cody the SEC NT that no one could run block to a team moving to a 34 and needing a big NT. Nope we go with the kid from UCF and looks like that was a bad pick. While I like Troup as a person he isn't living up to his pick. Yea he has had injuries way to many but when he plays he isn’t doing much(this yr and last yr). While Cody is the starting NT on a very good D.

http://www.rotoworld...ws/nfl/football

To be fair this statement "I know you put him in there with Haloti" may have a little something to do with his success.

Just say'n

Not sayin I told u so, but I was a big Cody supporter. But we got Troup so I will cheer for him as well. Everyone was big on Cody's lack of conditioning, but we really would just need him to spell Williams......would have been a vicious 1-2 combo....

To be fair this statement "I know you put him in there with Haloti" may have a little something to do with his success.

Just say'n

Yeah, but on the Bills you'd have him there with Kyle Williams and Daerus. He'd be much better on this team than Troup is. He's non-existent when he's in, and he is injury prone. Reminds me of another player we had (Puz) and passed up on a stud for (Woodley).

This guy's point isn't that there is anything that we can do about it. But rather that the new regiem has drafted poorly just as the old regime has. 2 drafts, one impact player that was a no-brain pick, and a stupid pick at #9 on a player you rarley use. I'm hoping Batten shows up big this weekend (I think he will) and is the first real impact player besides Dareus from the Nix regiem.

Jesus H, from a production standpoint Troup outplayed Cody last year. He has a bad back, it happens. Hopefully the Bills trainers can find the right remedy as he has had bad luck with injuries this year. Now, aside from starting next to Haloti, the gelatinous blob has had 5 tackles this season and is surrounded by Ray Lewis and Ed Reed among other high echelon players. So, you can't crown him the better NT unless he stands out on that D, which I haven't noticed much from him yet when I have watched their games on Replay.

I still think the pick was Gronkowski.

I was going to say the same thing. Rob Gronkowski seemed like a good fit for a Buffalo weather team. I understand there were injury concerns coming out, but Gronkowski would've been the value pick there, and you could argue it was just as much of a need as a NT. Troup heading into the draft was considered a 3rd-5th round draft pick by PFW.com, although they did predict he would be overdrafted due to so many teams looking for NT.

Troup is a bust because he didn't dominate his rookie season playing behind our Pro Bowl NT. He's had some injuries limiting him this season so he automatically sucks. Playing defensive line (especially nose tackle) isn't a very easy thing to do. Sometimes it takes players a few years to mature, get a steady dose of NFL caliber strength and condition and learning proper technique to reach full potential.

It's like some of you exact all of our draft picks to be either a Pro Bowler within their first couple of years of entering the league.

Edited by Bangarang

I disagree that it was a "missed" pick. The credit goes to the Ravens in player development. Cody was overweight and not in shape to play NFL football and the Ravens got him in shape and motivated.

I agree with this.

say what you will about Ray Ray, but the guy is like having a coach on the field.

He brings everyone around him up a notch. I dont necessarily like all his hoopla, but the guy backs it up.

He brings 100% on game day, and demands the same out of the other 10 guys on the field with him.

The Bills may have a guy or two like that on the team now in Fitz and Johnson.

maybe Marcell can develope into a dominate player/leader on D for us too

Honestly Cody is a lot like Jasper in terms of the conditioning issues but with huge positives in a proven track record at bama(same d as us) against NFL Caliber talent. He had weight issues, much of which stemmed from not knowing any different, and given the opportunity and training shed a lot of weight.

In fairness to the Bills and the other teams which passed on Cody, he was considered a first round talent who was selected at the end of round two (57th overall).

There were some issues that scared numerous teams away… even given the extreme shortage of 2-gap nose tackles in the world.

Also, teams with a strong record of success, veteran leadership, and stable management are better able to take a risk on a player like Terrence Cody and make no mistake, he was considered a risky pick.

so how is troup bad? he has had a couple of injuries, and spends all his sunday's backing up a guy who went to the pro bowl. where would terrence be in this defensive line. also we play a hybrid, where does a fat ass like him fit. at his size when he was drafted, and his history of lack of work ethic, it was ok to skip, and troup could still be a solid player in the nfl. we wont know untill kw goes down for significant amounts of time.

this is stupid. i know we have missed a bunch of better draft picks, but come on. we cant just go through the draft after the fact and put together the perfect draft. christ we are 3-1, atleast for a few more hours. we are playing pretty solid football, and this is your focus. great, must be miserable being you

The choice to many seemed like a no brainer. Terrence Cody the SEC NT that no one could run block to a team moving to a 34 and needing a big NT. Nope we go with the kid from UCF and looks like that was a bad pick. While I like Troup as a person he isn't living up to his pick. Yea he has had injuries way to many but when he plays he isn’t doing much(this yr and last yr). While Cody is the starting NT on a very good D.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

I couldn't believe we didn't take Cody because he was the best NT despite his sloppy physique. I wanted Troupe the least because he was the smallest but I figured Nix new what he was doing. I think he reached a lot on his first draft maybe over-thinking or picking small school projects with potential that he hoped would pan out. However I think he learned from that and went with big time players from big time schools and this draft is showing better already and if it weren't for injuries this years class would be doing even better. It is ok to pick small school guys but only one or at most two and in the late rounds like Jasper.

As for Troupe I'm not sure how he hurt his back but all that core training he didn't help him. He should have stuck with basic powerlifts and chucked that abwheel and trained his core with overhead and single arm presses and single arm farmers walk, super yoke and any kind of heavy object carry and he would have had a iron core along with brute strength and weighing 350 easy as long as he ate right.

Missed on CJ, Missed on Troup, Missed on Carrington, Missed on Easley....is teher a trend here?

Yep, Nix should have known Troup would hurt his back and Easley would tear up his knee and then develop a heart condition. What terrible judgment.

And get rid of Spiller. He hasn't replaced Jackson so he's never going to pan out.

And that Moulds guy they drafted didn't do crap in his first two seasons. They should have dumped him instead of holding on, wishing he might turn into an adequate receiver.

Yep, Nix should have known Troup would hurt his back and Easley would tear up his knee and then develop a heart condition. What terrible judgment.

And get rid of Spiller. He hasn't replaced Jackson so he's never going to pan out.

And that Moulds guy they drafted didn't do crap in his first two seasons. They should have dumped him instead of holding on, wishing he might turn into an adequate receiver.

On the other hand, when your plan consists of exclusively building through the draft, do you deserve a free pass for whiffing?

To the OP: Baltimore has vastly more veteran leadership than does Buffalo, so a young, immature talent lacking in self-motivation may get a little (shall we call it?) "inspiration" in the Ravens culture that simply couldn't exist in a 4-12 spare parts sort of "rebuild" situation.

On the other hand, when your plan consists of exclusively building through the draft, do you deserve a free pass for whiffing?

To the OP: Baltimore has vastly more veteran leadership than does Buffalo, so a young, immature talent lacking in self-motivation may get a little (shall we call it?) "inspiration" in the Ravens culture that simply couldn't exist in a 4-12 spare parts sort of "rebuild" situation.

I don't consider any of these picks whiffs at this point. Was Moulds a whiff at the beginning of his third year in the league? A lot of Bills fans (and others) thought so. I believe it was the Bears' HC (was it Dave Wanstadt?) at the time who said "I wouldn't want him on my team."

Yeah, but on the Bills you'd have him there with Kyle Williams and Daerus. He'd be much better on this team than Troup is. He's non-existent when he's in, and he is injury prone. Reminds me of another player we had (Puz) and passed up on a stud for (Woodley).

This guy's point isn't that there is anything that we can do about it. But rather that the new regiem has drafted poorly just as the old regime has. 2 drafts, one impact player that was a no-brain pick, and a stupid pick at #9 on a player you rarley use. I'm hoping Batten shows up big this weekend (I think he will) and is the first real impact player besides Dareus from the Nix regiem.

we also passed on David Harris that year too (when we took Poz) I believe....that ole saying about hindsight though...oh well

Everything since has convinced me to give Buddy Nix a mulligan on the 2010 draft. It didn't go well, but it's over, we've compensated, we're getting some value from it, and hopefully, we won't have to dwell on it as later acquisitions excel on the field.

Everything since has convinced me to give Buddy Nix a mulligan on the 2010 draft. It didn't go well, but it's over, we've compensated, we're getting some value from it, and hopefully, we won't have to dwell on it as later acquisitions excel on the field.

What do you mean by everything since? The 4-12 record that landed Dareus? The 3-1 record this year? Just wonder what the specifics are behind that statement.