Tedy Bruschi on Fitz

There was another article linking the entirety of "Bruschi's Breakdown" on NE vs Buff

I thought this snippet deserved its own thread

Tedy: You have to be ready for a shootout Sunday. Fitzpatrick is a good quarterback who is decisive. I love the way he sees it, makes the read, and delivers the ball. As a defense, you look at him and say "He's going to throw us a couple every game." So you have to take advantage of that. They may hit you in the hands, and it's whether you catch it or not that can turn the game. This is an offensive team that you want to steal possessions from. They're going to go up and down the field on this Patriots defense, but just like last week against the Chargers, those big plays will be needed on defense. Fitzpatrick is the type of quarterback, even though he has done some great things these last two weeks, who will give a defense the chance to make those plays.

Translation: Bring it, Fitz. You'll sling some picks. You'll toss them right at our DBs, and we know our D can earn points off you

Talk about damning a QB with praise. It can not be denied that last week, Fitz threw one pick and two passes that could have been picked (Campbell also had some lucky escapes).

I hope, if any is needed, this will be "bulletin board fodder" for Fitz and the Bills.

I hope Fitz takes it to heart that this is one aspect where he can really improve his game - not eliminate INTs, but decrease them to a point where a tool like Tedy can't reasonably prate about Fitz being "the type of quarterback that is going to throw the defense a couple every game"

In the past this was spot on. Certaonly got away with a few in raiders game. Overall I think fitz is showing some improvement early in the season. Let's hope be keeps it up.

Some luck but mainly greater awareness defensively by our WRs saved us around 3 to 4 ints thusfar.

Some luck but mainly greater awareness defensively by our WRs saved us around 3 to 4 ints thusfar.

I will admit (not happy) this to be true, but actually that is a smart way to play football. very good point. And this makes us/Fitz a Much better offense.

Outside of Brady, who never seems to throw picks, a lot of the best QBs have been high risk/high reward guys...

look at Kelly, Favre, etc. they might throw 2 or 3 picks in a game, but you also knew they could bring their team

back to win the game.

Compare that to a Trent Edwards or Rob Johnson...whose interception percentage was spectacular, but if the team got

down was there any chance they would lead a big comeback?

My heart was definitely in my throat on a few of those passes (TD to Chandler, near INT in endzone that Jones swatted away),

but this offense is starting to have that 90s Bills swagger, where you never count them out and that's due to Fitz taking those

risks. I'll take that any day over a guy who's afraid to let it fly, so we go three and out more often than not.

Edited by folz

Outside of Brady, who never seems to throw picks, a lot of the best QBs have been high risk/high reward guys...

look at Kelly, Favre, etc. they might throw 2 or 3 picks in a game, but you also knew they could bring their team

back to win the game.

Compare that to a Trent Edwards or Rob Johnson...whose interception percentage was spectacular, but if the team got

My heart was definitely in my throat on a few of those passes (TD to Chandler, near INT in endzone that Jones swatted away),

but this offense is starting to have that 90s Bills swagger, where you never count them out and that's due to Fitz taking those

risks. I'll take that any day over a guy who's afraid to let it fly, so we go three and out more often than not.

I couldn't agree with you more man! Fitzpatrick is a risk taker that's for sure, but we are a team that needs to take risks to win. Sorry Bruschi if Our QB hasn't had the privilege to play under the same head coach and same system his whole NFL career. I think that type of security and knowledge for a system might just help a little bit. One thing is always true, There's rarely a chance to have a prime reward if you don't take any risks.

It's stuff like this that just reminds YE OLE how badly we need this one Sunday. It's a decade of Tedy Bruschi, Belichick, Brady, and everyone associated with that organization that exudes this kind of arrogance. Fitzpatrick has the ability to rip New England's secondary a new on on Sunday. We know it and they know it.

back to win the game.

I Hear That!

And one of the keys for Kelly was that his WR would all, to a man, defend - if they couldn't catch it, by g*d the DB wasn't getting it either!

Last year, Fitz didn't get a lot of help from the receivers on that. This year, it's good to see nice defense.

But still....Fitz, a nice win, with a side order of Crow for Bruschi, would sure be nice.

There was another article linking the entirety of "Bruschi's Breakdown" on NE vs Buff

I thought this snippet deserved its own thread

Tedy: You have to be ready for a shootout Sunday. Fitzpatrick is a good quarterback who is decisive. I love the way he sees it, makes the read, and delivers the ball. As a defense, you look at him and say "He's going to throw us a couple every game." So you have to take advantage of that. They may hit you in the hands, and it's whether you catch it or not that can turn the game. This is an offensive team that you want to steal possessions from. They're going to go up and down the field on this Patriots defense, but just like last week against the Chargers, those big plays will be needed on defense. Fitzpatrick is the type of quarterback, even though he has done some great things these last two weeks, who will give a defense the chance to make those plays.

Translation: Bring it, Fitz. You'll sling some picks. You'll toss them right at our DBs, and we know our D can earn points off you

Talk about damning a QB with praise. It can not be denied that last week, Fitz threw one pick and two passes that could have been picked (Campbell also had some lucky escapes).

I hope, if any is needed, this will be "bulletin board fodder" for Fitz and the Bills.

I hope Fitz takes it to heart that this is one aspect where he can really improve his game - not eliminate INTs, but decrease them to a point where a tool like Tedy can't reasonably prate about Fitz being "the type of quarterback that is going to throw the defense a couple every game"

Bruschi is an idiot, who hopefully someone someday jams their "Happy Sock" in his mouth, but with this statement he is actually quite accurate. Of course there are always exceptions, as in anything, but even on Fitz's best games he usually throws 2-3 passes right to the defender. Against Oakland, that number was probably 5-6 times, but luckily they didn't catch but one of them. Fitz is a smart QB, and rarely makes the wrong decision, but he doesn't always execute great. What I mean is, you won't find a smarter QB, who plays any harder then him in the NFL, but at times his physical tools are limited or don't execute like his brain is telling them too.

Edited by billsfreak

Anyone who has a problem with this statement from Bruschi is searching for a reason to be pissed at the guy. Although I loathe Bruschi, his analysis is spot on. He said the Bills will move the ball up and down the field on the Patriots- that is certainly high praise. He said Fitzpatrick will fire a couple duds that could be intercepted. Anyone who has watched this guy knows that is obviously the case. What is there to dispute?

Another great QB used to chuck up those INTs...Brett Favre. He made up for it by scoring even more TDs. You just have to expect that may happen with Fitz. The guy throws into coverage but expects our guys to fight for the catch. That's Fitzmagic as opposed to Dickless Jauron's play-not-to-lose style.

PTR

I've always hated Bruschi, but his assesment is dead on balls accurate lol. That's Fitz in a nutshell right there.

It is, but not necessarily every week. Fitz, as smart as he is, is getting smarter, AND he is being coached by an intellectual type.

I am not saying it will happen, but we can win this game.

Anyone who has a problem with this statement from Bruschi is searching for a reason to be pissed at the guy. Although I loathe Bruschi, his analysis is spot on. He said the Bills will move the ball up and down the field on the Patriots- that is certainly high praise. He said Fitzpatrick will fire a couple duds that could be intercepted. Anyone who has watched this guy knows that is obviously the case. What is there to dispute?

Look at the original post. The point of the OP was not to dispute Bruschi's analysis.

It was to ask Fitz to take it to heart, prove Bruschi wrong this week, and not gift-wrap the INT for the Patsies.

There are many teams in the league where, with decent defense, an INT should not matter that much. The D will get a stop, we'll get the ball back. Or maybe give up 3 and get the ball back.

(the problem last year was our run defense couldn't stop a schoolchild in a crosswalk)

The Patriots are not one of those teams. Giving up an INT to the Pats is like gift-wrapping 7.

Ask the Chargers. The Pats didn't win that game. Rivers gift-wrapped 17 points and delivered them to the Pats side of the scoreboard. That's a possible game-changing difference of 38 points (17 less for Pats, 21 more for Chargers).

I like Philip Rivers but it's true.

Fitz - this week, if you can possibly help it, please don't be That Guy. Or at most one. Not two or three.

Edited by Hopeful

Fitz can't be in competition with Brady. The bottom line is Brady is a great qb and Fitz is good. That being said Fitz can take Buffalo down the field and the Bills can and will win. The reason is turnovers and luck. I think Fitz will throw an int or two. I think this game, the Defense and special teams are the ones who beat the pats. Fitz and his arm and the offense can't do it alone. brady will get sacked a few times. Remember Wanny was the defensive coordinator in dallas when cheatashit was with the giants. He knows how this guy is and they have a history. Chan also knows him when he was with pittsburgh. The coaching staff will have their work cut out and will have a great game plan set for this. The Bills defense is better than the pats and special teams are also. They will have the Amish Rifles back on this and we pull it out 31-28.

He is right.... probably can't turn the ball over once against the Pats and expect to win. It has to be a great performance on offense and while making some big plays on D.

You are correct. Over his past 18 games, Brady has 43 TDs and just 5 picks, so Fitz really needs to refrain from throwing even a single one this weekend for us to have a chance. One of the biggest keys in my opinion is going to be whether or not we can figure out how to get pressure on Brady. Watching him last week against SD, he was given all day to find a receiver, and any QB, much less one of the greatest to ever play, is going to find an open reciever 99% of the time when given all day to look for one.

I've always hated Bruschi, but his assesment is dead on balls accurate lol. That's Fitz in a nutshell right there.

It's pretty accurate for any QB in the league. Watch any game and both QBs will have a throw or two that has a legit chance of being picked. Those few errant passes don't concern me, it's the other 95% of the passes that I've been really impressed with Fitz thus far. His accuracy is much, much better than last year and as much as I've heard NFL pundits play up the "gunslinger" angle on Fitz this week his game against the Raiders was very Brady-esque. Short passes near the chains or with his WRs running free in the middle of the field, just taking whatever the D would give him.

I'm impressed, even if he does throw a few ducks a game.

Our defense has to win this game. If comes down to a shoot out the Patriots are really good at it. We put up some good numbers so far this year but asking Fitz to throw guys open and take too many chances for the win is a recipe for failure. Our defense can't let the Pats rack up 30, 40 something points and EXPECT our offense to keep pace. Can our offense keep pace? They have shown they are capable but it should not be relied upon.

Our defense has to win this game. If comes down to a shoot out the Patriots are really good at it. We put up some good numbers so far this year but asking Fitz to throw guys open and take too many chances for the win is a recipe for failure. Our defense can't let the Pats rack up 30, 40 something points and EXPECT our offense to keep pace. Can our offense keep pace? They have shown they are capable but it should not be relied upon.

Actually it may be a shoot out like our game against raiders. In this case every possession is like the serve in tennis; if hold yours and the opponent loses theirs just once you win. In 2nd half against raiders we "held serve" by scoring a TD on all 5 possessions.