San Diego 2002 = Bills 2011

Sanners

I remember living in SoCal listening to sports talk radio and the Chargers were considered one of the worst teams in the league. They drafted Jammer, which was highly panned by all the "experts". They already had their QB of the future in Brees, but people said he sucked. San Diego was a wasteland.

I see some similarities between the Bills and SD of 2002. Sometimes your really have to suck before you get better.

I remember living in SoCal listening to sports talk radio and the Chargers were considered one of the worst teams in the league. They drafted Jammer, which was highly panned by all the "experts". They already had their QB of the future in Brees, but people said he sucked. San Diego was a wasteland.

I see some similarities between the Bills and SD of 2002. Sometimes your really have to suck before you get better.

I don't remember Quentin Jammer being panned at all. I remember him being highly touted.

Like Dareus--so your analogy might still be good.

I don't remember Quentin Jammer being panned at all. I remember him being highly touted.

Like Dareus--so your analogy might still be good.

Jut recalling my days in Southern California, where they questioned the pick of Jammer, with "so many needs". Seems similar.

I've decided that I still have interest in the Bills. But they have robbed me of all the passion. Who do the Bills have to get fired up about? I don't know how much longer I can hold these season tickets. If that's how it was in SD, then I'm right there.

Seems similar because of a high draft pick? I don't get it. I don't see LaDanian Tomlinson on this roster.

Spiller is no LT, but even though he got 339 carries as a rookie for a 5-11 team, he averaged just 3.6 yards per carry, fumbled once per 67 carries, and had one 20+ every 48 carries, while Spiller

Averaged 3.8, fumbled once per 37 carries, and had one 20+ for every 74 carries. LT with a huge 10 to 0 TD spread, but was the go to guy in all goal line carries.

And receiving LT averaged 6.2 yards per catch with no TDs and a long of 27 and three fumbles while Spiller averaged 6.5 with a long of 41 and 1 TD and no fumbles.

Again, clearly Spiller is no LT, but nobody is. But if you look at the averages when they touched the ball, Spiller isn't so far off. Buffalo has a worse O-Line and has Freddie Jackson, plus CJ hasn't learned to block. But when touching the ball as a rookie CJ wasn't that different from LT, and I am optimistic he will touch the ball more and do better this year.

Having moved to San DIego just in time for the 2002 Chargers season and followed the team since, I see a lot of parallels. Unfortunately remember that after an 8-8 2002 the Chargers finished 4-12 in 2003 and the #1 pick before starting their run.

I think we have more talent on our roster than people think, and I am taking the over compared to the general mood around here. This year should be an up year compared to last year and I see a more consistent improvement than the Chargers up and down 2001-2002-2003.

I've never heard one expert or true NFL fan say Drew Brees "sucked" at any point in his career. They challenged his height & his arm strength at the NFL level, but nobody ever claimed he sucked.

I wouldnt mind a draft that produced a Brees and a Tomlinson..... Then again given time Macel and Aaron might be the defensive version of that

We could have got our Brees if we had drafted Ryan Mallet in the 3rd round!

Who is our Drew Brees? Are you suggesting that Ryan Fitzpatrick will develop into a Drew Brees? I really doubt it, I think his intelligence helps him through some of his physical limitations and give him an ability to be a average QB if all his abilities are maximized! Do you really think Fitzpatrick is part of the future of the Bills franchise? I don't..I think he is a stop gap until whomever we draft or sign next off-season develops into a franchise QB.

Well our Bills have for the most part "as you put it" sucked for over a decade straight, and they still haven't gotten better!! So I don't understand your analogy or thinking at all????

I've never heard one expert or true NFL fan say Drew Brees "sucked" at any point in his career. They challenged his height & his arm strength at the NFL level, but nobody ever claimed he sucked.

I've lived on the central coast for Brees' whole career. There were a significant amount of fans and local commentators that, if I recall correctly, were very much of the opinion that he sucked. It was cool that he eventually proved them wrong, when he came together for the chargers that team was dangerous...

As people have pointed out, there is no Drew Brees on this roster.

It's also worth noting that in order to get its real QB of the future, San Diego had to lose enough games to get the first overall pick. They then used that pick on Eli Manning. Then San Diego and NY Giants did that draft day swap which resulted in the Giants getting Manning, and the Chargers getting Rivers and significant other compensation. Similarly, the Bills will also likely require some very early first round draft picks if they are to attain San Diego's level.

As people have pointed out, there is no Drew Brees on this roster.

It's also worth noting that in order to get its real QB of the future, San Diego had to lose enough games to get the first overall pick. They then used that pick on Eli Manning. Then San Diego and NY Giants did that draft day swap which resulted in the Giants getting Manning, and the Chargers getting Rivers and significant other compensation. Similarly, the Bills will also likely require some very early first round draft picks if they are to attain San Diego's level.

I think from day 1 Buddy and Chan came in with a 3.5 year plan.

Hope you are right and if so we will be the team of the century.

Spiller is no LT, but even though he got 339 carries as a rookie for a 5-11 team, he averaged just 3.6 yards per carry, fumbled once per 67 carries, and had one 20+ every 48 carries, while Spiller

Averaged 3.8, fumbled once per 37 carries, and had one 20+ for every 74 carries. LT with a huge 10 to 0 TD spread, but was the go to guy in all goal line carries.

And receiving LT averaged 6.2 yards per catch with no TDs and a long of 27 and three fumbles while Spiller averaged 6.5 with a long of 41 and 1 TD and no fumbles.

Again, clearly Spiller is no LT, but nobody is. But if you look at the averages when they touched the ball, Spiller isn't so far off. Buffalo has a worse O-Line and has Freddie Jackson, plus CJ hasn't learned to block. But when touching the ball as a rookie CJ wasn't that different from LT, and I am optimistic he will touch the ball more and do better this year.

Having moved to San DIego just in time for the 2002 Chargers season and followed the team since, I see a lot of parallels. Unfortunately remember that after an 8-8 2002 the Chargers finished 4-12 in 2003 and the #1 pick before starting their run.

I think we have more talent on our roster than people think, and I am taking the over compared to the general mood around here. This year should be an up year compared to last year and I see a more consistent improvement than the Chargers up and down 2001-2002-2003.

The Defense should be better but I think the offense will be worse with the loss of Evans and no upgrades at any position.

We could have got our Brees if we had drafted Ryan Mallet in the 3rd round!

He would have gotten killed here with our line and his heavy legs. Ryan Tannehill out of Texas A&M could be our bress but with high level Athleticism (former WR) and powerful arm, Look for this Kid to do great things this year. Luck would be the obvious choice but I doubt we will be the worst team in the League.

As others have said - we clearly do not have a Drew Brees. He was highly regarded out of college, and awas considered a slight steal at the top of the 2nd round.

There has been no point in Fitz's career where he was valued at the level of the lowest point of Brees' career.

I think from day 1 Buddy and Chan came in with a 3.5 year plan.

I disagree, in one of Nix's first statements he said " we are not that far away"

What he didn't realize is that the HC he hired went out and hired mostly college assistants to coach the team, and in doing so elongated the process of building a winner right away.

I disagree, in one of Nix's first statements he said " we are not that far away"

What he didn't realize is that the HC he hired went out and hired mostly college assistants to coach the team, and in doing so elongated the process of building a winner right away.

Good god its been one year people. You want instant results? Go play madden

Brees really struggled early in his career, leading SD to draft Rivers 4th overall. Seems like a large investment into a QB if no one though he sucked.

Seems similar because of a high draft pick? I don't get it. I don't see LaDanian Tomlinson on this roster.

But we have Freddie Jackson! So I guess you could say we are one up on the 2002 Chargers

(Don't say this is wrong though, don't want Fred to feel disrespected and hurt in case he is reading this)

So what if we don't have "our Drew Brees", neither does SD. We have our current place holder QB whos here until they get what they really need which is their Phillip Rivers QB.

There is a foundation here for a good team, the problem is that the fans have no more patience which is whats gonna be needed for the next 1-2 seasons. Teams like the Colts, Saints, Chargers, Pittsburgh etc. didn't become the better teams in the league overnight, they went through years of failure, and drafting high to get to where they are. We aren't the only teams struggling to right the ship too. Detroit, Clevland, Cinncinatti, Oakland, kansas City, Houston, San Fransisco etc have all been cellar dwellers drafting at the top of the draft for years trying to rebuild their franchises. Teams like Carolina, Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville have been on a roller coaster ride of being good to drafting high the next season.

So what if we don't have "our Drew Brees", neither does SD. We have our current place holder QB whos here until they get what they really need which is their Phillip Rivers QB.

There is a foundation here for a good team, the problem is that the fans have no more patience which is whats gonna be needed for the next 1-2 seasons. Teams like the Colts, Saints, Chargers, Pittsburgh etc. didn't become the better teams in the league overnight, they went through years of failure, and drafting high to get to where they are. We aren't the only teams struggling to right the ship too. Detroit, Clevland, Cinncinatti, Oakland, kansas City, Houston, San Fransisco etc have all been cellar dwellers drafting at the top of the draft for years trying to rebuild their franchises. Teams like Carolina, Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville have been on a roller coaster ride of being good to drafting high the next season.

Actually a lot of those teams sort of did get good overnight to the extent of having remarkable single season turnarounds. But more importantly the foundation for a good team that you say is here is not here. Ask anyone to name our best 5-6 core players and the first name out of anyone's mouth is a guy who has yet to play a down yet in the league. That's not a knock on Dareus who I'm as optimistic about as the next guy; but what does that say about the rest of the roster?

Edited by BuffOrange

Drew Brees:

2002: 3200 yds 17 td 16 int

2003: 2100 yds 11 td 15 int (11 games)

2004: 3100 yds 27 td 7 int

2005: 3500 yds 24 td 15 int

Brees wasnt all the great in his first two years as a started. In fact, he was pretty mediocre. Basically what I'm trying to say is we dont need a drew brees right now to improve our team. The quarterback piece may come later

Edited by Billsrhody

I am cool with this analogy as long as we get the 1st overal pick this year and DONT TRADE IT AWAY!!!!

I'm familiar with the East Coast and the West Coast. Do you live on the Mississippi River?

He means teh Gulf Coast I pressume. Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, etc.

There is a serious problem with this plan. The rookie contracts are now only 4 years long, and we don't re-sign our players.

What dont you get - its a 3 year plan. this year 3 years, next year - 3 years, the eyar after- 3 more years.

Its ALWAYS 3 years away!!!

What dont you get - its a 3 year plan. this year 3 years, next year - 3 years, the eyar after- 3 more years.

Its ALWAYS 3 years away!!!

So True! How many years should we give a head coach and GM to build a playoff team? This is Year 2. If it really is a 3 year plan we should be just a player or 2 away from the playoffs. This young team better look pretty impressive this year!

Here's hoping... :beer:

Yeah, very similar. Except we don't have Brees, Tomlison, Gates, or an O-line.