This post from a Baltimore fan says it all

"I swear...if you took all the castaways from the Bills, you'd have a pretty damn good team. They just don't do it right at all."

Was pretty high on this team. All we got, which is to say all the owner gets, is some freed up salary. A 4th rd pick does nothing.

How can you trade your only card (WR depth) that actually was above average?

Qb-?

Rb-lynch

McGahee

Henry

Fb-Morris

Wr-evans

Owens

Te-royal

T -peters

Chambers

Walker

G-dockery

Williams

C?

De-?

Dt-Williams

Bannan

Hardgrove

Lb-spikes

Fletcher

Poz

Crowell

Palmer

Mitchell

Harris

Cb-Clements

Winfield

Greer

S- whitner

Leonard

Wire (lb)

Yeah almost

Pat Williams, Greer, Winfield, Clements, Jim Leonard, Peters, Fletcher, Spikes, Lynch, add Poz to that list now.

what's funny is that we tried to re-sign almost all of those guys-- PW, AW, Greer, Fletcher, and Poz. Even Peters was more of a contract issue, and Clements would have broken the bank.

Baltimore is good because they draft really well and hang onto their own great guys. I don't recall their trades and FA signings being all that great--trading for Boldin (sub-par year last year), and McGahee (sub-par career) weren't very successful.

seriously, it's a joke......while other teams develop draft picks we blow them or, in this case, piss them away for next to nothing......which is why this team is on a treadmill and that won't change until the owner goes.......you can't "build through the draft" when you keep screwing it up

love to see things turn around but have lost the faith, especially when after a decade of losing they pull a move like this.....it really just says it all - anyone smoking the "rebuilding" pipe hasn't been around long enough to know it's a load of garbage with ralph in charge

what's funny is that we tried to re-sign almost all of those guys-- PW, AW, Greer, Fletcher, and Poz. Even Peters was more of a contract issue, and Clements would have broken the bank.

Baltimore is good because they draft really well and hang onto their own great guys. I don't recall their trades and FA signings being all that great--trading for Boldin (sub-par year last year), and McGahee (sub-par career) weren't very successful.

Good players don't want to a) be paid nothing and b) play for a losing franchise.

welp, they cut McGahee this year after a couple of lackluster seasons. lets see how great they make Evans...

Hopefully Evans doesn't leave Baltimore with the Brinks truck stuffed like McGahee did. Not only did Baltimore trade for him they gave him a big contract and he severely underperformed. Having said that I like Lee......Willis.....not so much.

Lynch? Poz? Spikes? Are we stretching things a little?

PTR

Take off your Bills colored glasses and you will be hard pressed to find better players on our current roster. Spikes yes but he is so old now thats another issue. Poz, Ill give you Burnett but we start two MLBs now. Lynch is an argument, but he is better than Spiller and I always liked him better than Jackson, who is also good. Besides, you need a minimum of 2 RBs these days.

Add in draft picks (who the Bills took v who they should have taken (not in hindsight)) and you have a team of pro bowlers v a team of crap.

Hopefully Evans doesn't leave Baltimore with the Brinks truck stuffed like McGahee did. Not only did Baltimore trade for him they gave him a big contract and he severely underperformed. Having said that I like Lee......Willis.....not so much.

We got TWO #3s for McGoofus. I guess we couldn't pull off another deal that good again.

PTR

We got TWO #3s for McGoofus. I guess we couldn't pull off another deal that good again.

PTR

Remember at the time he was the 'best back in the NFL' .....at least in his own mind. I guess the Ravens bought what he was selling on multiple levels.....picks and cash.

Seriously, wouldn't you be stoked if you just traded a 4th round pick for Lee Evans? Does anyone really think the probabilities are high that any team (not just us) would get a 4th round pick that produces more than Evans (and yes, I know his age)?

And by the way, it's been terrible rooting for a quality guy and a leader on the team. He was one of the few BILLS.

I love the deep financial analysis on the salary cap. IF my memory serves me correct, we're currently way below it, and we've done nothing to put a few guys in front of Fitzpatrick to save him from getting killed.Maybe, just maybe, if we had a line, then Fitz would have the 3-4 seconds to see Evan breaking open down the field.

Seriously, wouldn't you be stoked if you just traded a 4th round pick for Lee Evans? Does anyone really think the probabilities are high that any team (not just us) would get a 4th round pick that produces more than Evans (and yes, I know his age)?

And by the way, it's been terrible rooting for a quality guy and a leader on the team. He was one of the few BILLS.

I love the deep financial analysis on the salary cap. IF my memory serves me correct, we're currently way below it, and we've done nothing to put a few guys in front of Fitzpatrick to save him from getting killed.Maybe, just maybe, if we had a line, then Fitz would have the 3-4 seconds to see Evan breaking open down the field.

Amen

Evans was drawing most of the coverage and opposing teams only really saw him as the Bills best WR threat, which left Stevie Johnson open and single covered most of the time. Just looking at the games after Evans was injured the offense didn't look nearly as good as when he was on the field.

So, unless someone steps up to draw coverages away from Johnson i don't see the offense as being as successful as when the Bills had Evans.

Yea, you are right, If I were a Raven fan I'd be stoked as they got the Bills best wideout for a 4th, Flacco must be drooling

Anyway, best wishes to Lee Evans, a class act and I hope he gets a SB ring

I see no reason why David Nelson can't be the new Stevie Johnson. Stevie if anything might be peeved that he will draw the double coverage now. But then again we also have the Wildcat threat in Smith.

Oh and don't forget the bums we have on defense: Merriman, Williams, and some stiff named Dareus. We'll be lucky to win a game. <_<.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I agree, Willis was a bum. U all wanted lee gone....so accept it now. It's not hard to replace a reciever.

it is like the old eddie murphy joke, if you give a man trapped in the desert a cracker , he will think it is the best damn thing he ever ate. The Ravens wr are a mess after boldin and maybe even boldin(he has received a pounding over the years ).Evans to them represents an up grade . To the bills he was an aging expensive player blocking younger player who will be more productive. CAN WE PLAESE MOVE ON

Lee has averaged only 4.75 TD catches per season the last four years. So the answer to that question is yes.

Look no further than Stevie Johnson who was a seventh round pick. This team has a bunch of WRs drafted fourth and beyond who have real shots at outproducing Evans...Marcus Easley was drafted in the 4th and he looks like he's the real deal. Roosevelt and Nelson were undrafted rookies yet looked great last year. I could see anyone of those guys having over 5 TD catches.

Though I've always liked Evans, I'm stoked that he's gone. To me he was the best of the Bills' "never living up to their billing" players over the last decade. Was he ever a top 10 receiver in the league? But that's what we as fans were expecting from him. This whole past decade we've watched guys never quite get to the level where we thought they'd get to. So Lee was a quality guy on and off the field, but I could never get past looking at him and wonder why he never became our Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald.

Amen

Evans was drawing most of the coverage and opposing teams only really saw him as the Bills best WR threat, which left Stevie Johnson open and single covered most of the time. Just looking at the games after Evans was injured the offense didn't look nearly as good as when he was on the field.

So, unless someone steps up to draw coverages away from Johnson i don't see the offense as being as successful as when the Bills had Evans.

Yea, you are right, If I were a Raven fan I'd be stoked as they got the Bills best wideout for a 4th, Flacco must be drooling

Anyway, best wishes to Lee Evans, a class act and I hope he gets a SB ring

My thoughts exactly.

Take off your Bills colored glasses and you will be hard pressed to find better players on our current roster. Spikes yes but he is so old now thats another issue.

IIRC, Spikes, who was coming off an Achilles' tear, was pretty upset over the way Troy Vincent was treated. TKO also had no desire to mentor a bunch of young guys, and requested to be traded.

Bottom line, once DJ came on board, Spikes was not a happy camper.

welp, they cut McGahee this year after a couple of lackluster seasons. lets see how great they make Evans...

IMHO, Evans will be more productive than McStupid could ever hope. Willis had talent but had zero internal motivation.

Edited by Cynical

The Bills have been, for about a decade, one of the farm teams for the rest of the NFL. They don't draft consistently, and when they do manage to get a decent player through the draft or UDFA, said players tend to get signed by competitive teams in free agency. And the complete inconsistency (or completely consistent suckiness) makes it impossible to attract decent FAs.

Qb-?

Rb-lynch

McGahee

Henry

Et al.

Yeah almost

Getting rid of vets can be divided into these categories

Aging - Owens, Mitchell, Sam Adams, Vincent

Who would've seen that coming? - Morris, Hargrove, Bannan, Leonhard (I would say he was more Rex's pet project), Ron Edwards

Over-priced - Clements, McGahee, Poz

Who cares? - Royal, Crowell, everyone else

Probably should've kept him around - Peters, Williams, Greer, Winfield, Fletcher (borderline aging), Jennings, Spikes (both previous are borderline bc injury prone)

With all the names that have been dropped, I would be surprised if there was more than these seven players (for that matter, only four unconditionally) that were worth keeping around after they left. Granted, many of these names were serviceable, and kept around if for no other reason so that draft picks could be used elsewhere, but you'd have a hard argument that you could "make a team" with all of our castoffs after they left.

FWIW, here's my extended list -

QB - Zero

RB - Lynch (still too early to make a judgment call);

[not worried about McGahee (other than 2007 Pro Bowl season, has been vulturing/leeching yrds. and TDs from Rice), Henry (one 1,000 season after he left, then child support and drug problems took over)]

FB - Morris (only a factor bc Belicheck plugs him into a system that squeezes talent out of aging veterans)

WR - Zero [Evans (still too early); Owens (old when he got her, older after he left; a couple solid games a good year does not make)]

TE - Zero [royal (really? I'm in Cleveland now and people cringe everytime the ball is thrown his way; an okay TE but hardly the next coming of Pete Metzelaars)]

T - Jennings (great talent, but wayyy too injury prone), Peters (yea, shoulda kept him around), J. Scott (serviceable, but hardly a starter. If Big Ben was 3" and 30lb. less, he'd be on IR after Week 2)

[not worried about Chambers, Walker]

G- Zero

C - Zero

De- Ron Edwards (still making his way around the league, surprisingly enough, but who would've seen that coming?)

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

Contrary to popular opinion I disagree with most of you. I feel what the Bills have been lacking is "high end" talent. Most of the players we have lost don't fit that profile. So I'm of the opinion that letting them go is ok and I certainly don't want to overpay to keep those mid level players here. I for one am glad we didn't have Clements and Peters salaries and that we don't have Poz's.

I also believe we are building the aforementioned "high end" talent. We are going to love Merriman, Williams, and Dareus. Guys to build a defense around (high end talent). I think Wood and Levitre are cornerstones on the line (again guys to build a line around). I still believe Spiller is going to be something special and Stevie is on his way, and Freddie is there (guys to build around).

With the potential IMO of high end guys like A.Williams, Moats, Carrington, Byrd, and I believe someone will step up out of the other WR corps. Things are looking up fellow Bills fans.

IMI, Evans was overrated in Buffalo. Everyone fell in love with Evans' ability to catch the deep pass consistently when Losman wad in town. But Losman's only game was the deep pass, he sucked in the short to intermediate game (same went for Evans). Evans had 2 1000 yards seasons out of 7.

If anyone thinks Evans is going to put up career numbers in Baltimore, just look at how Donte Stallworth & TJ Hoosyourmama did in Baltimore.

IMO (damn auto correct)

Qb-?

Rb-lynch

McGahee

Henry

Fb-Morris

Wr-evans

Owens

Te-royal

T -peters

Chambers

Walker

G-dockery

Williams

C?

De-?

Dt-Williams

Bannan

Hardgrove

Lb-spikes

Fletcher

Poz

Crowell

Palmer

Mitchell

Harris

Cb-Clements

Winfield

Greer

S- whitner

Leonard

Wire (lb)

Yeah almost

7-9

Take off your Bills colored glasses and you will be hard pressed to find better players on our current roster. Spikes yes but he is so old now thats another issue. Poz, Ill give you Burnett but we start two MLBs now. Lynch is an argument, but he is better than Spiller and I always liked him better than Jackson, who is also good. Besides, you need a minimum of 2 RBs these days.

Add in draft picks (who the Bills took v who they should have taken (not in hindsight)) and you have a team of pro bowlers v a team of crap.

Lynch stunk last year with Seattle, with the only exception being that once in a lifetime run in the playoffs. That overshadowed a largely unimpressive showing with his new team.

I don't get the outrage over this move.

I know stats do not tell the whole story but if you sort by "receiving" on nfl.com you'll see that he was the 71th best WR in 2010, 62nd in 2009 and 19th in 2008. The later was one of his two 1000 yard seasons. I sorted based on yardage, not receptions, because he's a long ball player. (Which made him look better.)

I think people give him the benefit of the doubt because he seems like a nice guy. (I'm sure he is a nice guy, I just remember when OJ was Buffalo's sweetheart. I don't know the man.) His career as a Bill makes me think of him as the Donte Whitner of the offense. Not a bad player (but not really that good either) than we spent a high draft pick to get.

Flacco is a the best QB he will have played with so maybe the move will work in his favor. If it does, good for him. I don't think his performance, in Buffalo, would have been much better than last year, however. Let the young guys get their experience in the hopes that we will eventually be good again.(Plus, if we want a vet to take away playing time from the young guys, I'd rather have TO back. Even at his advanced age, he's better.)