Evans traded to Baltimore

Jdragon2

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know... I don’t really know how to evaluate this trade. I’ve always been a big fan of Evans, based on how great he can look at times and on how great his attitude has been through all the crappy changes over the last few years. Is he a great player whose production has suffered due to a sputtering offense? Or is he just another in a long line of first rounders who wasn’t as good as we thought?

I just don’t really know. Anyway, I wish him well. I hope he has success in Baltimore. He’s a good guy—he deserves it.

Because he properly identified the coming weakness in the Bills offensive game plan? I'm guessing you missed CJ's and Stevie's thoughts too?

You mean these?

No mention from Johnson since the trade, but Nelson, Jackson and Nelson said:

Oh, and since the trade went down, there are have been WAY more Bills tweeting that they're en route to Chicago, and most of them seem mostly concerned with finding a place to eat. In fact, tweets requesting restaurant suggestions out number Evans tweets post-trade.

Yeah, there's a locker room in revolt alright.

How did the Patriots respond when Lawyer Milloy was cut? From what I remember they went ballistic. How did they finish that year?

Yes, I think it's perfectly appropriate to compare Bills' front office machinations to the best run franchise in the NFL. You know, the one where the coach, the GM and the owner are on the same page? The one where a system is in place where players are basically plug & play? :censored:

I expect you for one to recognize that the main criticism is not of the roster move itself, but the dysfunction that permeates OBD. You have more evidence of Overdorf overstepping his bounds to make real personnel decisions. Don't for a minute think that Gailey didn't design this season's offense with Evans in the featured role and now needs to reconfigure the entire offense, with a shortened off season as it is?

It's stupid moves like this that made Bills the laugh of the league when high profile coaches turned down embarrassingly desperate offers, while rising stars turned them down flat, period. This is why the team doesn't go after FAs, because they know they have to overpay them to play here.

This reeks of the Detroit pipeline and fans should be sad because of it.

This front office is a total joke. While I was in favor of trading Evans, I was only in favor if it made us better. A hit or miss 4th round pick next year does NOT do that. Plus, the Ravens will finish near the top of the league, meaning the pick will be in the bottom of the 4th round, so we are basically looking at a 5th round quality pick. Totally unacceptable. Not that the front office bothered to think any of this through. The Ravens NEEDED Evans to compete with the Steelers and the other teams in the AFC that can put up points. We should have said 3rd & a starter or nothing. Another 1st round pick traded for a 4th round. Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Thus, the Bills FO=Stupidity.

Edited by RyanC883

my point is, he put up those numbers with lee evans in the line up. i really needed to spell that out for you?

And my point is that he put up crap numbers with lee in the lineup for 4 years before Gailey got to town. So how is that relevant?

What is even worse about this trade is that Baltimore is quality playoff team. Therefore, this fourth round pick becomes a late fourth round pick. My question is could they have traded him to Arizona for a higher fourth round pick?

I would have kept Evans for another year and perhaps he would have improved on his numbers from last year and been more valuable on the market for next year or perhaps later this season after some starter on another team gets hurt. We might have been able to get more for him if we dangled him before the trade deadline. As a Bills fan this tells me that they have no intention of making the playoffs this year and they have already given up on this season. I can't see how this helps this team especially if any of these younger WR's get hurt or prove they aren't pro material.

What if he gets hurt or doesn't improve on his numbers from last year? You realise that better WR's in this league haven't been traded for much more then what the Bills just got for Evans. Boldin, who is MUCH better was had for a 3rd and a 4th. There was no way Buffalo was going to get a 1st or a 2nd for Lee, and would have been REALLY Lucky to get a 3rd.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Buffalo has traded WR Lee Evans traded to Baltimore.

Dunno specifics yet

I advocated trading Evans, but I don't think they got enough value. I think the Bills came out the worst on this deal. I would have been satisfied with a 2nd rounder. I like what Baltimore did here and I'm definitely puzzled by the Bills settling for a 4th rounder.

lee evans+steve johnson+roscoe parrish= nice numbers for roscoe parrish

steve johnson+roscoe parrish-lee evans=?

there ya go!!

better?

I get what you're trying to say but I dont think roscoes game is going to be affected by the loss of lee. He runs a ton of short routes and gets a bunch of his yards after the catch. Its not like teams are going to double him in the slot

What is even worse about this trade is that Baltimore is quality playoff team. Therefore, this fourth round pick becomes a late fourth round pick. My question is could they have traded him to Arizona for a higher fourth round pick?

I would have kept Evans for another year and perhaps he would have improved on his numbers from last year and been more valuable on the market for next year or perhaps later this season after some starter on another team gets hurt. We might have been able to get more for him if we dangled him before the trade deadline. As a Bills fan this tells me that they have no intention of making the playoffs this year and they have already given up on this season. I can't see how this helps this team especially if any of these younger WR's get hurt or prove they aren't pro material.

We were 4-12 with Lee. Maybe without him we get Luck-y. Or maybe someone steps up. I think someone will step up big time. We just don't know their name yet.

I get what you're trying to say but I dont think roscoes game is going to be affected by the loss of lee. He runs a ton of short routes and gets a bunch of his yards after the catch. Its not like teams are going to double him in the slot

The difference for Parrish without Evans is one of individual skill match-ups rather than dts. In a game, the opponents fastest DB almost always was on the speedy Evans and his demonstrated downfield catch production. Parrish got to face the second fasted opponent at worse.

Now, the opposing DC has the option of putting his fastest DB against the slot guy as admit it or not Stevie Johnson is a great route runner and even a good pass catcher (when he concentrates as he seemed not to on a bad endzone drop last year) but his speed does not scare anyone. A big Parrish talent is his speed and both he and Johnson likely will suffer with a teammate who again whether folks want to admit it or not has less real world production than Evans.

It is pretty sad to see the Bills disarming for this year and merely getting a bag of second day luck in the 4th round at best.

I hope you Wilson defenders realize this move is about nothing more than saving a couple million dollars this year. Wilson is nothing more than a parasite on this team. This move makes zero football sense. It's all about the bottom line.

It's times like these when I thank the lord that I'm a Yankees fan.

So do I Dave. Not that I expect the Bills to spend like the Yankees.

I think this is the way it works, and I'm being totally serious. Overdork is in charge of the entire cap. That is his job and his responsibility, and he wields a lot of power. He looks at the roster and tries to find ways he can make the team the most money, and still have a viable product to keep the fans coming. He looks at the Bills roster like a fan does (although being in the league he knows a little about football). He sees a lot of young talent. he knows a guy like Naaman Roosevelt or even Marcus Easley are in danger of being released even though they have a lot of potential and talent to be in the NFL. He sees Lee Evans and thinks we have paid him already for what he has done, and he is still owed 3.5 million this year and 5 million next year (approximately, IIRC). He thinks to himself, I can save us almost 8 million dollars keeping Roosvelt or Buster Davis who they just signed instead of Evans.

The problem is, he is not a personnel man, or football man as they say, and never has been. Most if not all teams in the league have a football guy making personnel decisions who has learned how to use the cap. We have a bean counter who doesn't know player's worth making football decisions because he has that power.

This is just my speculation but I think Nix and Gailey were probably told before they got here that they would not always have the final say in personnel matters. It's probably why we didn't get bigger names. They decided they would take the dream job they are probably never going to get elsewhere, even giving in on something that perhaps when they were younger they would have taken a bigger stand against. I also think they probably love their jobs now, except days like this when they are powerless.

Overdorf actually cut Troy Vincent without telling anyone back in 06 I believe. RW was apparently furious, but Jimmy O. is still there making decisions, so what's changed?

It's decisions like this, when you connect the dots, why in-demand HC candidates like Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera, Jim Harbaugh and perhaps Brian Schottenheimer refuse to interview or later withdraw their name from consideration for the HC gig. NFL people know what's going on at OBD and avoid it like the plague. Slowly but surely the fans are coming to the same realization that their team is a 3rd rate organization and moves like this prove it.

Who sets the long term plan is the question that must be asked. Those December home games will be sparsely attended, I can see it.

What did you expect them to get for Evans? A 1st rounder? A 2nd rounder? Joe Flacco? Evans stinks. He caught 35 passes last year for 500 yards. Big deal. Yeah, yeah I know he took away the double coverage. What was his excuse the year before when TO was on the opposite side? The few games I went to last year he looked like he was being single covered exclusively. Have we won anything with Evans on this team the last 8 years? This team is in a rebuild mode. It was a numbers game with the receivers & Evans was the odd man out. I guaranty he will not catch more then 40 balls with the Ravens either. He is just not that good & to be quite frank was really never that good. He was no Andre Reed & he was no E Moulds.

Trent Edwards

So do I Dave. Not that I expect the Bills to spend like the Yankees.

Overdorf actually cut Troy Vincent without telling anyone back in 06 I believe. RW was apparently furious, but Jimmy O. is still there making decisions, so what's changed?

It's decisions like this, when you connect the dots, why in-demand HC candidates like Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera, Jim Harbaugh and perhaps Brian Schottenheimer refuse to interview or later withdraw their name from consideration for the HC gig. NFL people know what's going on at OBD and avoid it like the plague. Slowly but surely the fans are coming to the same realization that their team is a 3rd rate organization and moves like this prove it.

Who sets the long term plan is the question that must be asked. Those December home games will be sparsely attended, I can see it.

Why trade him? He has become much easier to defend. His game is outside the numbers. You really don't have to worry about him venturing into the area between the hash marks. He also is not going to get any faster. Squeeze him toward the sidelines, and you take him out of the game.

Did they get enough? When you draft a first rounder your expectation is that you will get a gut who will contribute for years, maybe 8, 10 or even more. (of course this has not been the case with the Bills recently) Each round you go down, your expectations also go down. Evans is 30. His main asset is speed, at a position where speed is key. Baltimore might get a year or two out of him. About what you get from a typical fourth.

Only those who actually think we have a shot at the playoffs this year should be bothered by this trade.

I don't. We have at least another year, probably 2, before we can sniff the playoffs.

Lee was a good character guy and I wish him well.

Our offense may or may not suffer. Whatever the reasons, we have sucked and he hasn't been very productive for us the past 2 years. Getting a 4th for him was probably what he was worth. We have a tendancy to over estimate the value of our players.

RTB

Only those who actually think we have a shot at the playoffs this year should be bothered by this trade.

I don't. We have at least another year, probably 2, before we can sniff the playoffs.

Our offense may or may not suffer. Whatever the reasons, we have sucked and he hasn't been very productive for us the past 2 years. Getting a 4th for him was probably what he was worth. We have a tendancy to over estimate the value of our players.

RTB

Exactly

Well, they DID get a 4th.

RTB

I love you.

Base on his last two seasons -- we got a hell of a deal for a 30 year old receiver.

No we didn't, I understand the market and what others went for. If that is the best we can do, than why make the trade? Oh so many reasons this is a bad trade.

Had we traded a 4th round pick for a receiver like Lee we would all bee estatic and calling it a steal.

This trade did not have to be made, so why even make it? Could have made the same or even better trade next year, he has 2 years left on his contract.

We got the same as boldin. Lee was great. At a hot streak so long as no safety coverage.

Your answer is stevestojan. Arizona got a 3rd and a 4th. Baltimore got Boldin and a 5th.

Uhh, 'Zona got a 3rd, 4th and 5th round pick for Boldin.

Not correct. See above.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

I hope you Wilson defenders realize this move is about nothing more than saving a couple million dollars this year. Wilson is nothing more than a parasite on this team. This move makes zero football sense. It's all about the bottom line.

It is nice to see someone on this board who TRULY understands what the problem is with this franchise.

The FUNNIEST part today? These are New England type moves?

Really? You are going to compare this move to what New England does?

Sad. Very sad.

Keep throwing $ at Ralph. I sure won't.

Your answer is stevestojan. Arizona got a 3rd and a 4th. Baltimore got Boldin and a 5th.

Not correct. See above.

This will not be the last time I'll be wrong here. It will also not be the last time I post here while drinking. You get what you get with me, and that's often not very valuable input.

For everyone worried about the locker room, Stevie just posted this on Facebook, listen up:

BILLS fans i hear you about Lee Evans. he's a great player...and i've had memories on and off the field that will never be forgotten...but the BILLS faithful has to stay united. gotta all keep BILLieving! i have faith that our team will continue to grow and succeed on and off that field!

Doesnt sound like he's too upset...

Now I have another useless Jersey hanging in my closet-

Should I tape another name over it like my #21 Jersey?

This is not how you run a team- what about all the talk of continuity being a pre-cursor for success? What about players fans (i.e.- kids)who we point to the few NFL caliber players on the Bills roster and tell them that while the team is awful, you can watch how Lee Evans plays.

Many of you are touting this as a wise move to develop younger players and create cap room. We aren't the Eagles or Patriots who very wisely move or don't overpay older veterans and replace them with younger players. The differences: We can't attract decent players here if we treat our own shabbily, and we can't seem to draft very well at all.

Signed:

Sick about it

I expect you for one to recognize that the main criticism is not of the roster move itself, but the dysfunction that permeates OBD. You have more evidence of Overdorf overstepping his bounds to make real personnel decisions.

Specifically what evidence do you have that this trade was an edict handed down by the Overdorf/Littman/Wilson triumvirate?