O.J. Simpson vs. Thurman Thomas

Nucci ... thanks for posting those ... watched all 3 and it brought back great memories.

I don't know about you others ... and nothing against Rick Azar, but I had always wished Van had done the play-by-play in '73 when OJ broke the record. Van was and will always be the true voice of the BILLS

I like the new uniforms we're going to in 2011 ... but after seeing those 3 highlight films of '73 season I truly wish it was with the Grazing Bison. I was so happy as a kid in '73 when we finally went to blue pants for road games.

jumbalaya : While we're all entitled to our own opinions, putting Braxton ahead of Cribbs is purely asinine. :doh:

Braxton was more of a blocking back who nearly fumbled the season/home opener game away during our 1st ever appearance on Monday Night Football at Rich against the RAIDERS. Art Thoms of Oakland picked it up and ran about 30 yards for a late 4th qtr TD. Had it not been for a nice Fergie-led drive in the 2-minute offense that Ahmad Rashad caught the the game-winning TD with secs left, he'd be remembered for that forever, more than his accomplishments.

Joe Cribbs was a feature back, and a brilliant one at that.

Travis Henry definitely the ugliest and dumbest .... he must've had a good personality :)

I would not call it "ourely assinine", you could have said something like ill informed. Braxton would have had great career numbers if the ball wasn't always handed off to a future double murderer. Braxton was a tough runner.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head to head, OJ would slaughter Thurman.

Just as a football player, OJ Simpson was in an elite class of all-time great RB's. This conversation is silly. There is no comparison.

I watched OJ play two years at USC and every game with the Bills. He was in a class by himself. He had everything: elite speed, power and tremendous instincts. Anybody who thinks Thurman was better than OJ really doesn't have a clue.

Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

As a person, well that's another story!

Story link

Includes highlights of both players at the bottom of the page.

OJ was a true superstar a once in a generation player. Your heart was in your mouth as soon as he was by the line of scrimmage. He would shift gears and be gone. Someone else said a homerun hitter. Take nothing away from Thurman also a great player. Thurman was more complete as a player he would block and catch better than OJ. OJ was part Jim Brown and part Gale Sayers.

Thurman had a much better supporting cast than OJ. Did Thurman ever reach 2000 yards rushing in a season? I believe OJ did twice in 14 games seasons. Did OJ ever lose a helmet?

I think the best way to decide this is to take the Best Running backs off all time Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith...now off the top off your head can you name there backups? I cant nor can I name OJ's but Thuman Thomas? that's easy...Kenneth Davis. MY vote is for OJ

Edited by pmr78

Thurman had a much better supporting cast than OJ. Did Thurman ever reach 2000 yards rushing in a season? I believe OJ did twice in 14 games seasons. Did OJ ever lose a helmet?

I think the best way to decide this is to take the Best Running backs off all time Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith...now off the top off your head can you name there backups? I cant nor can I name OJ's but Thuman Thomas? that's easy...Kenneth Davis. MY vote is for OJ

OJ's backup, I remember both Wayne Patrick and Don Calhoun

Payton's was Dennis Gentry

Emmitt's was Tommie Agee

Barry Sanders I really don't know, he wasn't very injury prone, a very one-man show

I would not call it "ourely assinine", you could have said something like ill informed. Braxton would have had great career numbers if the ball wasn't always handed off to a future double murderer. Braxton was a tough runner.

I would call it that ... sorry if it hurts your feelings.

Joe Cribbs was a feature-back, and a great one at that ... Braxton was a 'role' player ... nowhere near as good as Cribbs and not even debatable .... and I'm sure the ones who are from both era's will tell you the same thing.

Wasn't trying to be mean, or belittle you on the chat board ... but in all honesty I just can't come up with another word to have Braxton ahead of Joe Cribbs.

No offense was intended .....

OJ's backup, I remember both Wayne Patrick and Don Calhoun

Payton's was Dennis Gentry

Emmitt's was Tommie Agee

Barry Sanders I really don't know, he wasn't very injury prone, a very one-man show

I would call it that ... sorry if it hurts your feelings.

Joe Cribbs was a feature-back, and a great one at that ... Braxton was a 'role' player ... nowhere near as good as Cribbs and not even debatable .... and I'm sure the ones who are from both era's will tell you the same thing.

Wasn't trying to be mean, or belittle you on the chat board ... but in all honesty I just can't come up with another word to have Braxton ahead of Joe Cribbs.

No offense was intended .....

Weren't Greg Jones and Max Anderson also OJs backups at times?

Payton also shared the backfield with Matt Suhey, who was a pretty good fullback. Speaking of which, I wouldn't call Jim Braxton a role player so much as I would call him a fullback… and a damn fine one at that. I actually think Braxton and Cincinnati's Boobie Clark were talented enough to be featured in the same way that Hewritt Dixon and Mark Van Eeghen were by the Raiders… or Csonka or Riggins. Or Cookie Gilchrist for that matter.

It's just that at some point, fullbacks were no longer featured by NFL teams. I think that's because of a few reasons… offensive efficiency/emphasis on chunk yardage and also durability.

Look at a guy like Peyton Hillis… classic throwback fullback. All season long he toiled long and hard and had some great moments. But ultimately his offense sucked, his team sucked, they scored very few points, and by the end of the season, Hillis was toast. Battering rams as featured backs end up receiving more punishment than they dole out and they typically don't add much offensively in a day where passing is 60% of the game.

Back to the point, I thought Braxton was a top talent. But that's just my recollection of events that happened almost 40 years ago.

OJ hands downs was the best player talent wise to wear a Bills uniform.

Bruce Smith a not to distant second.

This from a guy who watched almost every game of his career. (lucky me my father had season tickets during the 70's)

Will say this about Thomas..no way the Bills get to 4 super bowls without him. He may have been the best OVERALL RB we had, best catching the rock out the backfield and he was a better than average blocker on passing downs.

But the Juice had breakaway speed, the kind you can't teach and once he was in the clear it was over. OJ , the Braves and the French Connection was at the peak of there respective sports and it was great back in the 70's to be a Buffalo sports fan.

Weren't Greg Jones and Max Anderson also OJs backups at times?

Payton also shared the backfield with Matt Suhey, who was a pretty good fullback. Speaking of which, I wouldn't call Jim Braxton a role player so much as I would call him a fullback… and a damn fine one at that. I actually think Braxton and Cincinnati's Boobie Clark were talented enough to be featured in the same way that Hewritt Dixon and Mark Van Eeghen were by the Raiders… or Csonka or Riggins. Or Cookie Gilchrist for that matter.

It's just that at some point, fullbacks were no longer featured by NFL teams. I think that's because of a few reasons… offensive efficiency/emphasis on chunk yardage and also durability.

Look at a guy like Peyton Hillis… classic throwback fullback. All season long he toiled long and hard and had some great moments. But ultimately his offense sucked, his team sucked, they scored very few points, and by the end of the season, Hillis was toast. Battering rams as featured backs end up receiving more punishment than they dole out and they typically don't add much offensively in a day where passing is 60% of the game.

Back to the point, I thought Braxton was a top talent. But that's just my recollection of events that happened almost 40 years ago.

'Mini' Max Anderson # 22, now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I don't remember him playing as a backup running back, but I do remember him on special teams as the regular kickoff and punt returner, and that his mother made really good fried chicken for Max & his teamates (true story). I don't remember seeing him in the backfield.

Braxton was a Fullback. yes, who was often lined up in the tail in front of OJ where he'd help block for him and get his occasional carries. He rarely fumbled, yet he picked our first ever MNF game to do it where it was not only recovered by Oakland but scooped up and returned 30 yards for what appeared like the probable game-winning TD. Fortunately, as I said prior, Fergie led us on a great drive in the 2-minute drill before hitting Ahmad Rashad for about 15 yard TD with seconds left. I was sitting in the end-zone opposite the tunnel where Art Thoms of the RAIDERS scored that TD.

Our friend was asking earlier who were the backups to those RB's, Braxton wasn't a backup. I believe it was Larry Watkins who backed both OJ & Braxton up if memory serves me right, and if it was FB's we both could have also listed Bill Enyart. Remember him?

Greg Jones I vaguely remember, I think he did backup OJ, but he didn't play much and wasn't with us too long. Think it was before we moved to Rich, but don't hold me to that one.

Braxton was a really good FB ..... but a better than RB/FB than Cribbs? ..... not a chance.

I have had the pleasure of seeing both OJ and Thurman run. I think Thurman Thomas was a GREAT RB - perhaps

Hall Of Fame, but Simpson was INCREDIBLE. He had no passing game to speak of to draw the defense off, as Thurman

had. Yet, Simpson could NOT BE STOPPED. In terms of surrounding talent, Thomas by far had the better set of

teammates.

No question in my mind, Simpson was one of the 10 best individual players that I've ever seen.

Braxton was a Fullback. yes, who was often lined up in the tail in front of OJ where he'd help block for him and get his occasional carries. He rarely fumbled, yet he picked our first ever MNF game to do it where it was not only recovered by Oakland but scooped up and returned 30 yards for what appeared like the probable game-winning TD. Fortunately, as I said prior, Fergie led us on a great drive in the 2-minute drill before hitting Ahmad Rashad for about 15 yard TD with seconds left. I was sitting in the end-zone opposite the tunnel where Art Thoms of the RAIDERS scored that TD.

That was their second MNF game. First one was against the Chiefs at Rich in '73.

More OJ plus my favorite uniforms.

youtube.com/profile?user=BillCody1960#grid/uploads

In that clip I noticed for a split-second the BILLS vs NYG MNF game at Rich with the GIANTS wearing their 1975 blue pants and that funny logo that they wore for that one season only. They were playing their home games at Shea that season.

Channel 7 - ABC

NYG in white w/ blue on the right

NYG '75 helmet

Take it from another who had the pleasure to see both in persone many times.

It's a cliché to say it, but OJ was "poetry in motion". His running style was so fluid. He could make a cut and change direction like nobody, other than maybe Barry Sanders. All the more unusual because he wasn't as compact as Barry. He had the grace of ballet dancer.

A previous poster described his running as like watching a thorobred racehorse run downhill - an apt description.

Thurman on the other hand was a more complete back. He had the mind of a quarterback, would sacrifice his body on blitzes to give his QB more time in the pocket, could catch over the shoulder or with body extended as good as most wideouts, and as runner he was instinctive and knew when to make a cut.

When it all comes down to it, Thurman was the right man at that time. With Smith, Kelly, etc., I don't know if the superbowl era Bills could have accomodated another ego as big OJs.

The other thing younger readers/fans might not realize now, but OJ was a superstar before he ever put on a Bills uniform. Few players have come from the college ranks with as much star power as OJ. Before his pro career began, he already had commercial endorsements and a guest spot on a top rated network TV show. He had charisma like Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Joe Namath, etc. People were drawn to him. The combination of his charisma and incredible running style made him one of the greatest ever. Thuman was a great blue collar workhorse back that was a great team player, and the perfect fit for the Kelly/Levy teams.

Best pure runner was OJ, without question. Had he played on better teams and not had knee injuries, he might be considered the best ever.

The other thing younger readers/fans might not realize now, but OJ was a superstar before he ever put on a Bills uniform. Few players have come from the college ranks with as much star power as OJ. Before his pro career began, he already had commercial endorsements and a guest spot on a top rated network TV show. He had charisma like Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Joe Namath, etc. People were drawn to him. The combination of his charisma and incredible running style made him one of the greatest ever. Thuman was a great blue collar workhorse back that was a great team player, and the perfect fit for the Kelly/Levy teams.

Best pure runner was OJ, without question. Had he played on better teams and not had knee injuries, he might be considered the best ever.

Yup -- he was absolutely in that class of athlete/celebrity, both on and off the field. Not to mention OJ was also the first black celebrity to become a mainstream advertising icon. Ali and others before OJ were famous, but no one was paying them to hold a razor or wear a sneaker. OJ broke the barrier that lead to guys like Jordan and Woods making tens of millions off the field.

If OJ didn't kill two people, no one would ever question OJ's greatness or rank as Buffalo's all time greatest athlete.

If OJ didn't kill two people, no one would ever question OJ's greatness or rank as Buffalo's all time greatest athlete.

Under the American system of law (like that matters anymore), OJ did not kill two people. I followed the trial very, very closely, and did quite a bit of research for professional reasons. My conclusion: he did not kill those people (but he might very well know who did).

O.J was considered the best player at any position during his prime. Thurman wasn't even considerd the best running back in the league during his prime, always in the shadow of Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. Not to take anything away from Thurman, as he was a big part of the team's success of course, but if O.J. was on the Bills in the early 90's the offense would have been impossible to defend and there is no question in my mind they would have won at least one Super Bowl, and probably more.

I know this wasn't the topic, but Thurman was WAY better than Emmitt. Put Thurman on those Dallas teams and that oline and wow! My understanding is that Barry sat the bench behind Thurman 'till Thurman hurt his knee.

Yup -- he was absolutely in that class of athlete/celebrity, both on and off the field. Not to mention OJ was also the first black celebrity to become a mainstream advertising icon. Ali and others before OJ were famous, but no one was paying them to hold a razor or wear a sneaker. OJ broke the barrier that lead to guys like Jordan and Woods making tens of millions off the field.

The timing was perfect for OJs mainstream celebrity, as the seeds planted during the civil rights movement of the early to mid 60s were coming to fruition in the late 60s and early 70s.

Dr. King led the charge in the trenches fighting for social justice, and was assasinated just as the tide was beginning to turn. In the entertainment world, stars like Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, Bill Cosby, Diahann Carroll, Ella Fitzgeral, Louis Armstrong, The Supremes, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, et al were busting down the barriers that previously had kept them chained to second class citizen status. I remember being surprised (and happy)to see Sly & The Family Stone playing on a lat 60s TV broadcast and having a mix of white and black musicians.

Not sure I've ever read anything regarding the famous Rat Pack's role, but during a time when Jim Crow laws were still enforced in the south, the Rat Pack brethren, all huge stars in their own right, treated Sammy Davis Jr as an equal, not just as an entertainer, but as a man. I have no doubt that the martini drinking white audience took note of respect given to Sammy.

OJ was so blessed and lucky in so many ways, and even after having the good fortune(for him)of being aquitted of the double murder, continued to tempt fate. I think his is a classic case of someone who had a lot of trouble with the sudden fame and adulation that came to him at a very young age, thought of women as possessions, and thought he would be forever untouchable.

How sad that the brightest star in Buffalo sports history has forever tainted the legacy.

Good choice. He'd get her home in one piece. Lets break down the best of the rest.

Of course with OJ there is the chance he might murder the girl, but that was only one isolated incident and I think he's learned his lesson about double homocide. Plus he is a good provider and can ensure the grand kids get a USC education. Thurman is a stand up guy, but there is the risk that he might lose your daughter 10 minutes before the wedding and she may never be found. Travis Henry must know a thing or nine about women, and his matching number of kids means he must be a hell of a father. Travis has also demonstrated that he will do whatever it takes to provide for his family regardless of federal laws, which you have to respect. Shaud Williams is an outspoken heterosexual as seen in his interview on Da Ali G Show, which bodes well for grand kids. If she doesn't mind chain restaurants, getting hyphy and a little road rash, Marshawn could also be serious boyfriend material. Just hide your wallets girls.

Well I don't doubt Jamie is a fine person but that article only mentioned his football exploits… except for pointing out he did graduate from college. But the article does not show that he leads an exemplary existence. I'd need more proof before approving a date with my daughter… regardless of what she chose to do.

The timing was perfect for OJs mainstream celebrity, as the seeds planted during the civil rights movement of the early to mid 60s were coming to fruition in the late 60s and early 70s.

Dr. King led the charge in the trenches fighting for social justice, and was assasinated just as the tide was beginning to turn. In the entertainment world, stars like Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, Bill Cosby, Diahann Carroll, Ella Fitzgeral, Louis Armstrong, The Supremes, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, et al were busting down the barriers that previously had kept them chained to second class citizen status. I remember being surprised (and happy)to see Sly & The Family Stone playing on a lat 60s TV broadcast and having a mix of white and black musicians.

Not sure I've ever read anything regarding the famous Rat Pack's role, but during a time when Jim Crow laws were still enforced in the south, the Rat Pack brethren, all huge stars in their own right, treated Sammy Davis Jr as an equal, not just as an entertainer, but as a man. I have no doubt that the martini drinking white audience took note of respect given to Sammy.

OJ was so blessed and lucky in so many ways, and even after having the good fortune(for him)of being aquitted of the double murder, continued to tempt fate. I think his is a classic case of someone who had a lot of trouble with the sudden fame and adulation that came to him at a very young age, thought of women as possessions, and thought he would be forever untouchable.

How sad that the brightest star in Buffalo sports history has forever tainted the legacy.

Great, great post.

As KD pointed out, Juice paved quite a bit of the way for athletes that came after him but there were other entertainers on whose coattails he was fortunate enough to ride himself.

I haven't deeply researched the Goldman killings but unlike yungmack, I do believe OJ committed those murders.

As for DML's musings about OJ's downfall, I am not an OJ apologist nor do I think what I'm gonna say necessarily holds any water but I did want to put out there that there's been mention that OJ's irrational behavior since and after the Goldman killings (that bizarre "recovery of his memorabilia in Vegas) is somewhat consistent with the behavior of those who have/are suffering from CTE.

As far as who is the better back, I've always felt that OJ Simpson was the best running back in the history of football and the most outstanding talent who ever played for the Buffalo Bills. JMO.

Thurman revolutionized the game. He wasn't a back, he was a weapon. Wasn't he like the first player to lead the league in yards from scrimmage like 4 years in a row ? Doesn't get enough credit because he played at the same time as E. Smith, and B. Sanders. Often surprized how everyone gushes over M. Faulk, but Thurman did it all first. If Norwood makes that kick, he's considered one of the best ever. If Marv would of let him loose in the second half of SB 25, we won't of needed Norwood to make that kick.

Agree 1000% .... OJ was the best player to ever wear a BILLS uniform. We had a great OL in the 'Electric Company', the problem was that the defense wasn't containing our opponents which effected time of possession.

It's scary to imagine what he/we could have done if we did had such a defense and the offense had spent more time on the field.

Majority of the fans who post on here are young, never having seen him play, it's just too bad they never got to see him play or this thread would have never been initiated.

Here's a rare photo from the '69 preseason .... OJ wore number 36 ... didn't get his number 32 until after the final preseason game when Gary McDermott got cut.

OJ - rookie in preseason 1969

Thurman revolutionized the game. He wasn't a back, he was a weapon. Wasn't he like the first player to lead the league in yards from scrimmage like 4 years in a row ? Doesn't get enough credit because he played at the same time as E. Smith, and B. Sanders. Often surprized how everyone gushes over M. Faulk, but Thurman did it all first. If Norwood makes that kick, he's considered one of the best ever. If Marv would of let him loose in the second half of SB 25, we won't of needed Norwood to make that kick.

I voted OJ but Thurman is still "one of the best ever." That's why he's in the Hall of Fame.

This is almost like a Montana vs Young argument in SF.

While the majority voted for Simpson, it's still a matter of opinion and there's no absolute right or wrong answer.

They're both all-time greats.

Not trying to be argumentative here but ......... we're not talking who's 'one' of the best ever ... we're talking 'the best' period. That would be OJ

Usually in chat, I'll say 'IMO' ......... that isn't possible on this one .... it's OJ hands-down ....

If you think it's 'almost' like a Montana v Young argument in SF you're right .... Montana was their best ever and they shouldn't even be debating that up there in the Bay Area ...... SF's only debate should be between Steve Young and John Brodie for 2nd best 49er QB

Both OJ and Thurman are in the HOF yes, but there's clearly a right answer here, and OJ is the best player and RB to ever wear a BILLS uniform.

I really enjoyed your post and would like to add to it.

Timing is everything and the Juice came out at the perfect time. But can you really call OJ's fame sudden??

He was a major star at USC, the man on Campus, he all the woman he could handle so he was already "pro" when he hit WNY.

He was VERY lucky when Lou Saban came back to coach. He got OJ premium lineman he let him do his thang. OJ owes alot to Saban and Jim Ringo ( OL coach).

But to bad his brain wasn't very big dispite the size of his head.

OJ's problem was heavy cocaine use. That white powder has ruined many a person. It caused him to not think clearly after his career ended. He fell into the Hollywood trap and could not will himself out of it. Its a shame because he had it made. Monday night Football, Avis and the deals he got paved the way for more black players to get the Mega deals they have now.

As for the murders .... I loved OJ back in the day but for sure he did it. It was a crime of passion and I bet he was lined up that night and said if I cant have Nicole ...nobody will. Still feel sorry for the families effected, they will never get true justice .

If the question was who is the better man then Thurman wins THAT hands down. But you cant take away what Juice did on the field.