O.J. Simpson vs. Thurman Thomas

Okay, this thread is about greatest BILLS RB's ......... discussing Bruce Smith is way off-subject.

Not only is OJ the best RB we ever had, but also the biggest superstar we ever had from a national perspective ... (and I mean on the gridiron)

Rubes: God Bless ya in your Bob Chandler jersey. It doesn't matter how many of those stares you get. There will come a time when some long-time BILLS fan such as myself sees it and it gets their immediate attention and will go right up to you and either pump their fist, or strike up a conversation with you.

Back in that time he was a big-time favorite to all us in that era. He made some really clutch 3rd down catches for us and was a top-notch NFL receiver.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got me a Chandler throwback jersey a couple years ago. Usually all I get are blank stares.

Rubes, Bobby 'Tiptoe' Chandler was one of my favorite Bills players of all-time. If I saw that jersey, I'd give you a giant high five. :thumbsup:

Agreed, except with the greatest player in bills history part. That title, IMO, will be held forever by Bruce Smith. Forever is a long time i know, but i just cant see us being so licky as to have another talent like Bruce. Looking at todays players, who are bigger stronger amd faster than 20 years ago, there isnt one that even comes close to Bruce. Suh is the closest thing, but hes more like reggie than he is Bruce. Peppers has a similar skill set, but isn't close to Bruce as a player. I'd put Oj #2.

New Era, Bruce is undoubtedly the greatest defensive player in Bills history and I have him at #2. You're entitled to believe Bruce was the best in Bills history and I respect that stance. I don't know if you're old enough to have seen OJ in his prime. If not, believe me when I say, he was unequivocally the best player in Bills history. If so, then you are one of the fortunate ones to have witnessed his gridiron greatness, like me. I'm just glad I got to see them both. GO BILLS!!!

I had to take a little editorial privilege with your rankings.

Nice mention of Ridlehuber. One of the greatest names in Bills history. Period.

GO BILLS!!!

Cookie might be above Thurman too.

Simpson is the unquestioned #1 though.

Rubes, Bobby 'Tiptoe' Chandler was one of my favorite Bills players of all-time. If I saw that jersey, I'd give you a giant high five. :thumbsup:

New Era, Bruce is undoubtedly the greatest defensive player in Bills history and I have him at #2. You're entitled to believe Bruce was the best in Bills history and I respect that stance. I don't know if you're old enough to have seen OJ in his prime. If not, believe me when I say, he was unequivocally the best player in Bills history. If so, then you are one of the fortunate ones to have witnessed his gridiron greatness, like me. I'm just glad I got to see them both. GO BILLS!!!

I'm 36, so I must say, I did not see OJ in his prime. I watched the games, while I was sucking on my milk bottle. I make this assessment through my father, who passed away a few months ago, RIP pops. He was my mentor in sports history, especially buffalo sports history. We had this discussion as to whom is the best bills ever, and while he said it was tough to call, he called bruces name. He said while OJ was the biggest draw and his skills were among the best of all time, Bruce was THE best defensive end ever to play the game. While RB is a more glamorous position (in manys eyes), a dominant DE changes a game more than any position, except possibly QB. The fact that he played DE in a 3-4 defense and was able to produce the sacks he did speaks volumes for his dominance. OJ was the best player on the field for 6 seasons or so, while Bruce was the best player on the field for 12+.

I have with you that it's hard for me to put an accurate grade as who is the best all time without actually seeing OJ play, but I'm communicating the thoughts of the person I hold with the highest regard concerning the Bills.

I'm 36, so I must say, I did not see OJ in his prime. I watched the games, while I was sucking on my milk bottle. I make this assessment through my father, who passed away a few months ago, RIP pops. He was my mentor in sports history, especially buffalo sports history. We had this discussion as to whom is the best bills ever, and while he said it was tough to call, he called bruces name. He said while OJ was the biggest draw and his skills were among the best of all time, Bruce was THE best defensive end ever to play the game. While RB is a more glamorous position (in manys eyes), a dominant DE changes a game more than any position, except possibly QB. The fact that he played DE in a 3-4 defense and was able to produce the sacks he did speaks volumes for his dominance. OJ was the best player on the field for 6 seasons or so, while Bruce was the best player on the field for 12+.

I have with you that it's hard for me to put an accurate grade as who is the best all time without actually seeing OJ play, but I'm communicating the thoughts of the person I hold with the highest regard concerning the Bills.

No doubt the greatest Bills' player is debatable, and Bruce is right up there, but I saw all of OJ's years on the team, and I agree with the others, IMO he was best ever.:worthy:

My condolences on your loss, NewEra.

Your post is very poignant to me. I lost my dad when I was 14 back in '73. He had been a statistician for the Bills since their inception, coached both football and basketball and, like your dad, was my original filter for sports information. He kept the rushing stats during Bills games and my brothers and I sometimes got to watch games from the press box. When we drafted OJ, the best college player in the country, I was ecstatic. But my dad tempered that enthusiasm a lot by telling us that he didn't think OJ would amount to much because he liked to "dance in the backfield instead of hitting his hole." He repeated this often until, after the Bills game against the Steelers in '72 when OJ ripped off a 94 yard run against them, he came home after the game and said OJ just might amount to something after all. He died in May of '73 and never got to see OJ set the record and become the player he became.

He would have loved Bruce Smith, too. He taught me how to analyze line play and IMO, Bruce is the best DE to ever play the game.

GO BILLS!!!

My condolences on your loss, NewEra.

Your post is very poignant to me. I lost my dad when I was 14 back in '73. He had been a statistician for the Bills since their inception, coached both football and basketball and, like your dad, was my original filter for sports information. He kept the rushing stats during Bills games and my brothers and I sometimes got to watch games from the press box. When we drafted OJ, the best college player in the country, I was ecstatic. But my dad tempered that enthusiasm a lot by telling us that he didn't think OJ would amount to much because he liked to "dance in the backfield instead of hitting his hole." He repeated this often until, after the Bills game against the Steelers in '72 when OJ ripped off a 94 yard run against them, he came home after the game and said OJ just might amount to something after all. He died in May of '73 and never got to see OJ set the record and become the player he became.

He would have loved Bruce Smith, too. He taught me how to analyze line play and IMO, Bruce is the best DE to ever play the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Awesome stuff, you guys. Your stories show the profound connection between this team and its fans.

K-9, that was a common criticism of Juice back before he broke out… that he danced too much.

Probably because there was nowhere to run. :)

Best RBs

1. Orenthal James SImpson

2. Carleton Gilchrist

3. Thurman Thomas

4. Jim Braxton

5. Joe Cribbs

Best all around player

1. Cookie

2. Thurman

3. OJ

Appropriate Jail Time

1. OJ - 2 life terms

2. Travis - 10 -20

Ugliest & Dumbest

1. Travis

Thurman was great and you can't help love the guy but OJ had talent that comes along once in a decade. As a kid watching him he was the biggest superstar in the country. Trust me I watched both in their prime in person and OJ just had another gear and he did it in a lot of bad weather.

Edited by seq004

Unfortunately I was not around for the OJ years but I always felt like he was better just from what I've learned about him. I don't know how to compare the electric company of OJ's years to the o-line Thurman had but OJ certainly did not have the passing game around him that Thurman did. And of course if they played 16 games in 1973 OJ would hold the single season rushing record instead of Eric Dickerson. What a shame he turned out to be such a monster as a person.

Best RBs

1. Orenthal James SImpson

2. Carleton Gilchrist

3. Thurman Thomas

4. Jim Braxton no way !

5. Joe Cribbs

Nucci ... thanks for posting those ... watched all 3 and it brought back great memories.

I don't know about you others ... and nothing against Rick Azar, but I had always wished Van had done the play-by-play in '73 when OJ broke the record. Van was and will always be the true voice of the BILLS

I like the new uniforms we're going to in 2011 ... but after seeing those 3 highlight films of '73 season I truly wish it was with the Grazing Bison. I was so happy as a kid in '73 when we finally went to blue pants for road games.

jumbalaya : While we're all entitled to our own opinions, putting Braxton ahead of Cribbs is purely asinine. :doh:

Braxton was more of a blocking back who nearly fumbled the season/home opener game away during our 1st ever appearance on Monday Night Football at Rich against the RAIDERS. Art Thoms of Oakland picked it up and ran about 30 yards for a late 4th qtr TD. Had it not been for a nice Fergie-led drive in the 2-minute offense that Ahmad Rashad caught the the game-winning TD with secs left, he'd be remembered for that forever, more than his accomplishments.

Joe Cribbs was a feature back, and a brilliant one at that.

Travis Henry definitely the ugliest and dumbest .... he must've had a good personality :)

I agree with all of the responses above. I saw both of them play and OJ was the better player, no question. He had it all as a RB...power, speed, and good hands. He was a very good and underrated receiver, despite what some would have you believe. I would love to have seen him on the Super Bowl teams in his prime. Wow. The greatest player in Bills history, IMHO. Unbelievable, rare talent. Reprehensible human being.

Setting aside for the moment his character or lack thereof, OJ was the more devastating runner. He was the homerun hitter that Thurman wasn't. However, the poster above is sadly mistaken when he "claims" OJ had good hands hands. At best they were average, but when he did make a grab, what a run after the catch.. OJ couldn't (or wouldn't block). Yet as a pure runner, he was spectacular. One of the best ever. OJ's '73, '75, and '76 seasons were unbelievable, and yes, I watched his entire career with Buffalo. It's true that when OJ played, he was the guy every team keyed on when they played the Bills.

Buffalo put together a great O-line for OJ, and early in Thomas' career the O-line in front of him was very impressive as well, yet after 92, Wil Woldford was gone, and John Davis was reduced to a one legged Guard, and in 93, Ballard left, Ritcher retired and the line in front of Thurman was no longer a quality line and his stats suffered for it. Who can forget the likes of Jerry Crafts, Corbin Lucina, etc, etc

With all things considered, especially with the game played as it is today, Thurman was by far the more complete back. He had superior hands in comparison to OJ, far better blocker in blitz situations, and was an outstanding runner with deceptive power.

Overall, I'd take Thurman because of his all around abilities and I can't separate the despicable scum bag OJ turned out to be from the player I watch in awe.

Great thread!

OJ did have a Pro-Bowl supporting cast. Joe D (HOF), Main Man Reggie, Dave Foley and JD Hill -an unsung integral part of down field blocking all earned trips to the PB during Juice's heyday. Chandler#81 was also a great down field blocker. Juice was counted on to catch the ball as well and did fine. Thurmans' 4 straight seasons leading the NFL in total yards from scrimmage seems to be overlooked here. He topped 2K/yr numerous times all this while playing with HOFers @ QB & WR.

OJ's team contributions netted ONE playoff game -a shelling @ Pittsburgh. Thurmans' team contributions netted 19 playoff games.

He is the teams'all time rushing leader and the NFL leader in most Playoff points -126, Most Playoff TD's -21 and Most consecutive playoff games scoring a TD -9. He's one of only 4 palyers all time to catch over 400 passes while rushing for over 10K yards.

Best runner? OJ. Best running back? Thurman Thomas.

As for my Chandler#81 throwback jersey, the only comments I get from fans at games are from guys like me -pot-bellied, balding, white -haired, who give 'propers!'.

Are you going to confine the responses to those that actually saw both of them play their entire careers or just base the argument on pure stats which is all anyone who didn't see both of them play would have to go on?

For my money, the better RB was OJ and it's not even close and I LOVED TT. He was a world-class sprinter with great athletic skill and good size who was a threat to break it every time he had the rock. He didn't enjoy the luxury of working out of a spread offense with an HOF QB, 2 HOF WRs (Reed deserves it), and 4 Pro Bowl OLmen (and a fifth, John Davis, who deserved it). In short he was the only legitimate offensive threat we had and he did it routinely with teams geared to stop him and him alone.

All that said, I am always reluctant to compare players across eras. It's always a mistake.

GO BILLS!!!

Well said! The Juice was a game changer. There was no other offensive option on the Bills teams when he played. I am not dissing Thurman, but it's the Juice.

Thurman was probably a better all around back, but he was on much better teams too, with other offensive threats. For my money, O.J. was the third most exciting back in NFL history with the ball in his hands behind only Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. Due to the fact that everyone on the field, the sidelines and in the stands knew the juice was getting the ball and he still couldn't be stopped, I have to go with O.J. Also, you can ask almost anyone who the top 10 backs in NFL history are, and anyone old enough to see him has to say O.J.'s name in that group, if not even in the top 5, but you won't often hear Thurman's name in that group.

Edited by billsfreak

OJ number 1, Cookie number 2 please consider that Cookie was the next best thing next to Jim Brown, who still in my mind is the best ever (although Barry Saunders has to be considered too IMO). And Bills freak OJ could be stopped, but once he had a coach and a line made for him, he couldn't.

I do have to say the Bills for all the lacking in the QB department over the 51 years have been pretty good in the RB department.

Okay, this thread is about greatest BILLS RB's ......... discussing Bruce Smith is way off-subject.

Not only is OJ the best RB we ever had, but also the biggest superstar we ever had from a national perspective ... (and I mean on the gridiron)

Rubes: God Bless ya in your Bob Chandler jersey. It doesn't matter how many of those stares you get. There will come a time when some long-time BILLS fan such as myself sees it and it gets their immediate attention and will go right up to you and either pump their fist, or strike up a conversation with you.

Back in that time he was a big-time favorite to all us in that era. He made some really clutch 3rd down catches for us and was a top-notch NFL receiver.

And Chandler was one of the best downfield blockers ever. He was a great player but through time has become underrated.