Jim Tressel Resigns

JoeF

Ohio State got caught doing what almost every major college sports program does to some degree. Not defending Tressel, just saying the NCAA is very selective and inconsistent with its enforcement because they have a mint to protect.

PTR

Tressel: 'I will stay amidst me being a crook and covering everything up'

NCAA: Sanctions are inevitable

Tressel: Let me quit now and not face the music, after all, I saw what Pete Carroll did at USC....it's hip to run and hide!

Tressel should be hit HARD !!.....like a 10 year ban from the NCAA for coaching.

the school should forfeit and vacate all games including bowl money that the players played in. loss of future scholarships. i'm not completely up on USC's (reggie bush)punishment, but this is much more serious.

the players should lose their scholarships and be DQ'd for one year.

Tressel should be hit HARD !!.....like a 10 year ban from the NCAA for coaching.

the school should forfeit and vacate all games including bowl money that the players played in. loss of future scholarships. i'm not completely up on USC's (reggie bush)punishment, but this is much more serious.

Oops. Sorry about the above. iPhone issue.

Anyway, the real tragedy is the school will suffer while Tressel will get a job in the NFL or on TV. OR, Tressel will just sit back & live off his large buyout.

What a farce the NCAA is.

Some kids sell a couple jerseys and awards that they own and a coach loses their job, genius.

Has the car thing come out yet? Or is it still speculation?

You clearly don't get it. Once he signed off saying there were no infractions, knowing it to not be true, he took responsibility for the cover up. In this case, the coverup is a bigger deal than the crime of trading a couple jerseys for a tattoo. I also suspect a lot more is in the pipeline if he is resigning.

They did not cheat in games. They did not cheat in practice. They did not cheat in recruiting. They in no way negatively effected the actual outcome of games nor threaten the sanctity of the game.

They sold/traded some personal belongings for tattoos and rent money. They got a deal on a car.

Im no Ohio State fan, but this whole thing is ridiculous. The Bush punishment was ridiculous too. No one is doing anything morally reprehensible.

Better sanction Boise St. next. They may have given recruits a total of $5000 in illegal meals over the last 3 years.

Cmon... :rolleyes:

Ohio State got caught doing what almost every major college sports program does to some degree. Not defending Tressel, just saying the NCAA is very selective and inconsistent with its enforcement because they have a mint to protect.

PTR

Theyre selective and inconsistent because they have a book of rules that are IMPOSSIBLE to enforce or even police themselves. The only time you hear about a school getting in trouble is when the media leaks something. Otherwise, this goes on EVERYWHERE with no consequences.

Only time the NCAA does anything is when they are embarrassed publicly. And they seem to be doing their best at driving out all the great coaches and players and ruining the game.

This ...

They did not cheat in recruiting.

... is contradicted by this ...

They got a deal on a car.

I wish when I went and bought a car, my invoice bill would say 0 (zero).

Or that I could take a 3 day test drive ... out of state.

This ...

Wrong. A current player getting a hook-up is not a recruiting violation.

You clearly don't get it. Once he signed off saying there were no infractions, knowing it to not be true, he took responsibility for the cover up. In this case, the coverup is a bigger deal than the crime of trading a couple jerseys for a tattoo. I also suspect a lot more is in the pipeline if he is resigning.

I understand completely.

It's completely silly.

NCAA Div 1 football is anything but an amateur sport. That's what the NCAA doesn't understand.

This ...

Its my understanding that the players were already attending Ohio St when they were given the car. Correct me if Im wrong. But if Im not, then that has nothing to do with recruiting. To add, Id say players at almost every D1 college get deals on cars or something. Whether it's Ohio St, Michigan, Oregon, Florida, Texas, etc., so it doesnt really do much to sway a recruit.

PTR

Believe me, if there was ANY way for the NCAA to "look the other way" they'd have done it with OSU. That school is crucially important to the landscape of college sports. Tressel also knew it, which is why he lied about his knowledge of violations.

No tears shed here. Tressel lived off a lily-white reputation, but the professorial, fatherly demeanor on the sidelines belied the calculating cheater underneath.

Some kids sell a couple jerseys and awards that they own and a coach loses their job, genius.

Totally agree! It's your stuff you should be able to do with it as you please. Athletes can't have jobs so How are they supossed to get by? If some agent wants to buy kids off so what? They still are or are mot going to graduate. Some might say that isn't fair to athletes who don't get perks. To which I say it is fair because you get paid what you are worth just like everybody else does in this country.

PTR

The NCAA didn't ask him to resign. This isn't about kids trading jerseys for tattoos. It's about the coach not notifying his employer or the NCAA about an investigation involving his players when he knew he was supposed to.

OSU needs to be punished for what they did and Tressel was caught in a sandel that he needed to be fired and banned from coaching in the NFL and broadcasting because i won't watch him. He did wrong and neeeds to be punished.

Idiots who jump against the Ohio State University keep their head in the sand 364 days a year. Every school is going through actions like these on some level or another. I know there are some D1 athletes here who will confirm this; no matter the program, no matter the sport, no matter the situation schools break rules. Hell, Dean Smith let so many violations go by that it is a g'damn joke and if you say that to the wrong person you'll get shot.

Tressel cannot be responsible for his athletes off the field no more then he can be on the field. If Pryor wants to slap a player across the face how is Tressel responsible? The same goes for what Pryor does off the field.

I really wonder about Urban Meyer going to OSU because I remember him at BGSU while I was going to UT.

Its my understanding that the players were already attending Ohio St when they were given the car. Correct me if Im wrong. But if Im not, then that has nothing to do with recruiting. To add, Id say players at almost every D1 college get deals on cars or something. Whether it's Ohio St, Michigan, Oregon, Florida, Texas, etc., so it doesnt really do much to sway a recruit.

All these things help get better players, keep players. Better players means more wins. More wins means more money. More money means better facilities, better coaches, better gifts for the next round of players, better better better money money money money.

It can't be simplified to "well some student already there got a car. Big deal" And not all has been revealed yet. I don't blame Tressel, or any coach because it's the only way to compete.

The whole system is a farce, and in some ways knocking big schools down a notch from time to time keeps the power located at the NCAA.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Oops. Sorry about the above. iPhone issue.

Anyway, the real tragedy is the school will suffer while Tressel will get a job in the NFL or on TV. OR, Tressel will just sit back & live off his large buyout.

The Dolphins are on the phone already! "Nothing to worry about Coach Sparano!" :lol:

Has the car thing come out yet? Or is it still speculation?

But when they do it for 9 years and the coach knows it and knows it's illegal, yet does nothing....

or Rich Rodriguez, who was recruiting the heck out of Terrelle Pryor

whilst RR was at WVU...

OSU won't make a move until after this coming season and Pryor's gone after then, anyway. He should have seen the writing on the wall and jumped to the pros while he could.

Besides, if Rich-Rod couldn't handle Michigan, there's no way he'll survive Ohio St.

All the NCAA ranters and the Tressel ass kissers should read this before the next round of analingus:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

In what program and at what school do you think trustees don't have handshakes with players? Or players don't trade memorabilia with local businesses?

Boring . . .

In other news coaches sometimes use the "F" word.

All the NCAA ranters and the Tressel ass kissers should read this before the next round of analingus:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

So an article that highlights the NCAA's hypocrisy is supposed to shut me up about NCAA's hypocrisy?

Maybe I should incorporate myself into the NCAA and get all the free labor I need while I rake in $$ billions. Is this a great country or what?

In what program and at what school do you think trustees don't have handshakes with players? Or players don't trade memorabilia with local businesses?

Boring . . .

In other news coaches sometimes use the "F" word.

So an article that highlights the NCAA's hypocrisy is supposed to shut me up about NCAA's hypocrisy?

Maybe I should incorporate myself into the NCAA and get all the free labor I need while I rake in $$ billions. Is this a great country or what?

You certainly may continue to rant on the NCAA, but you would be completely missing the point of this affair.

Violations of NCAA rules are a part of NCAA football programs--I think we all get that, no need to reiterate this. This, however, is about an individual who participated in a coverup of known violations--and has a significant history of doing the same before he got to OSU--despite his carefully (self-)groomed image of being a man of "integrity". This coverup was done by this coach solely to maintain the eligibility of star players and for the competitive advantage of his program. If he had done what he was supposed to, and he had many opportnities to do so, a couple of guys would have missed a few games. That's it.

That's what this is about, not about NCAA "hypocracy", which I wouldn't argue doesn't exist.

Edited by Mr. WEO

You certainly may continue to rant on the NCAA, but you would be completely missing the point of this affair.

Violations of NCAA rules are a part of NCAA football programs--I think we all get that, no need to reiterate this. This, however, is about an individual who participated in a coverup of known violations--and has a significant history of doing the same before he got to OSU--despite his carefully (self-)groomed image of being a man of "integrity". This coverup was done by this coach solely to maintain the eligibility of star players and for the competitive advantage of his program. If he had done what he was supposed to, and he had many opportnities to do so, a couple of guys would have missed a few games. That's it.

That's what this is about, not about NCAA "hypocracy", which I wouldn't argue doesn't exist.

Yet that hypocrisy is precisely what's contributing to these stupid acts.

No idea that NCAA is also in the medical fields to opine on its hypocracy.

Edited by GG

where is the free labor?

Yet that hypocrisy is precisely what's contributing to these stupid acts.

No idea that NCAA is also in the medical fields to opine on its hypocracy.

The only hypocracy involved in this case is that of St. James of Tressel. He and his program are no cleaner than the worst of them, despite what he has been selling folks for decades.

First, let me say that I live in Columbus and the city is just turned upside down by this whole thing. Many thought that the initial report was all that there was to it. With the new reports coming out, it just makes Tressel, the athletic department, the school, and the very well liked president look like a bunch of chuckle heads. The athletic department is going for a big hit sanctions and financially.

Wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA (which is a big pot of hypocrisy unto it self) puts the program and/or the athletic department on the brink of the death penalty.

We'll still beat you this year on the road with our rent a coach and our practice squad. chalk it up

Bring it, as soon as the Buckeye's work release gets approved we'll be here waiting.