When the Bills were on the clock, who did you want the last few years?

Aloha22

2006: Tamba Hali (was torn between Hali and Ngata)

2007: Lawrence Timmons

2008: Leodis McKelvin (1/3 on Bills picks)

2009a: Michael Oher

2009b: Ziggy Hood

2010: C.J. Spiller (2/6, not good at this)

Now who do you want with #3 in 2011?

2011: Bowers/Quinn/Peterson depending on avail.

Last year, I was on the phone with my brother in NC saying "anyone but CJ Spiller".....

2006: Leinart or Ernie Sims

2006b: I was certain the Bills were trading up to get Mangold.

2007: I remember saying "anyone but Marshawn Lynch."

2008: McKelvin or Brandon Albert

2009a: Orakpo

2009b: Delmas

2010: Spiller, Derrick Morgan, or Bulaga

2011: Patrick Peterson or Cam Newton

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

2006: Tamba Hali (was torn between Hali and Ngata)

2007: Lawrence Timmons

2008: Leodis McKelvin (1/3 on Bills picks)

2009a: Michael Oher

2009b: Ziggy Hood

2010: C.J. Spiller (2/6, not good at this)

Now who do you want with #3 in 2011?

2011: Bowers/Quinn/Peterson depending on avail.

2006 Haloti Ngata

2007 Marshawn Lynch or Leon Hall

2008 Leodis McKelvin

2009 Brian Orakpo

2010 Spiller or Jimmy Claussen or trade down for Tebow

2011 Blaine Gabbert

Edited by Chicken Wing '73

2006: Broderick Bunkley, only cause Hawk wasn't going to drop.

2007: anyone but Pos at 12... and I wanted David Harris in the 2nd round

2008: (I think) Branden Albert... not too vocal about it though.

2009: anyone but Maybin... Michael Oher in particular.

2009b: wasn't sure, but Wood was OK

2010: didn't really care, at this point apathetic till new ownership.

2011: still apathetic, but do NOT want Mallett in any round. :thumbdown:

2006b: I was certain the Bills were trading up to get Mangold.

This.

Here's mine. Seems they never pick who I think they are going to, so this year I am pulling for Cam Newton.

2010 Rolando McClain

2009 Brian Orakpo

2008 McLovin

2007 Patrick Willis (although I liked the Marshawn pick at the time)

2006 Haloti Ngata (I thought it was a no-brainer...shocked at the Whitner pick)

Interesting question ...

06 Ngata

07 Staley or Timmons

08 McKelvin

09 Oher

10 Bulaga (but was intrigued by Spiller pick)

11 Peterson or Green

Here's mine. Seems they never pick who I think they are going to, so this year I am pulling for Cam Newton.

2010 Rolando McClain

2009 Brian Orakpo

2008 McLovin

2007 Patrick Willis (although I liked the Marshawn pick at the time)

2006 Haloti Ngata (I thought it was a no-brainer...shocked at the Whitner pick)

Willis was picked 1 spot ahead of Lynch, so that wasn't possible ... I remember really po'd when 9ers did that to us.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

2006 Haloti Ngata (still am annoyed by this one...it's like, how can you be front office people and not see that this dude is a stud? Oi, we suck)

2007 Marshawn Lynch (wanted Willis before the 49ers stole him from us :) )

2008 Leodis McKelvin (Thought he was the best player on the board)

2009a Brian Orakpo (Another Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment)

2009b Michael Oher (am ok with Wood though. Wood is awesomesauce)

2010 C.J. Spiller (Again thought he was best player on the board)

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

2011 - 1a Quinn, 1b Dareus, 1c Fairley, 1d Bowers

2010 - Anthony Davis OT, Dez Bryant WR, Tim Tebow QB

2009 - Brian Cushing LB, Brandon Pettigrew TE

2008 - Jeff Otah OT

2007 - Lawrence Timmons LB

2006 - Ngata DT, Wimbeley LB, Tye Hill CB

2006) Davin Joseph, Ngata or Mangold. That was a very deep draft.

2007) At that point I wanted any blocker or DL.

2008) Branden Albert big time. R.Rich told me he was a potential Hall of Fame Guard.

2009) Pettigrew or Oher. Badolbilz said that Pettigrew was a standout.

2010) I was sick to my stomach when McClain was selected, not that we would have drafted him if he was there. After he went I wanted Brandon Graham.

2011: I am OK with a quarterback. If not I like Fairley and Darreus (in that order for now), but I would like to see more of Quinn. And I do admit to being one of the very few left who would take Mallett, but probably not at #3. And I still predict that he goes to Dallas. He is a local talent and Romo is the most overrated QB in the NFL imo. I think that Fitz is clearly superior, but I don't focus as much on stats as do many fans.

Edited by Bill from NYC

2006: Ngata

2007: Justin Harrel

2008: Leodis McKelvin (was hoping for Albert, but happy when Leodis was still there)

2009:Brandon Pettigrew

2010: Rolondo McClain

2011: Still don't know, but right now Dareus tops my list

i usually like lineman....

2006- Haloti Ngata (DT)

2007- trade up to #6 (was) for Patrick Willis (LB)

2008- Ryan Clady (OT)

2009- trade down for Brandon Pettigrew (TE)

2010- trade up for Suh or trade down for Bryan Bulaga (OT)

2011- stay at #3....Fairley or Dareus....if both gone Peterson.

Papa's Big Board (after combine):

#1- Fairley

#2- Dareus

#3- Peterson

#4- Miller

#5- Green

#6- Quinn

#7- Bowers

2007: Lynch (really wanted Willis but he went one pick before the Bills)

2008: McKelvin or Rodgers-Cromartie

2009: Cushing or Orakpo (Really wanted Raji, but he went 2 picks before the Bills)

2010: Bulaga (Really wanted McClain, but he went on pick before the Bills)

2011 - Bowers, Dareus, or Fairley

2006a: Ngata or Bunkley

2006b: Winston Justice

2007: really wanted Willis, but when he was gone, Harrell, Moss, or Beason.

2008: McKelvin or Albert

2009a: Orakpo

2009b: Rey Maualuga or Eben Britton

2010: Spiller

2006: Ngata And Mangold (not McCargo- I was actually hoping we would trade up the whole night so we could take Mangold.)

2007: I was so pissed we hadn’t worked a trade up for P Willis, but I figured we could “settle” for Jon Beason

2008: I didn’t think we needed a CB at all, but the one I liked the most was DRC, and Mayocks guy Flowers in rd 2 (weird that both are better than McKelvin eh?). I really wanted a LB like Rivers but he didn’t fall. I was stuck on a bus getting text updates about this draft, and can honestly say I didn’t have 1 single player in mind for this pick, so I went to my default line of thought which is draft a lineman. I bet I would have taken B Albert, Clady, or DRC when it got down to it. Prob Clady because converting college Gs to LTs scares me and I would have resigned Greer so a CB would have been an afterthought. I wanted Limas Sweed and Dan Connor over Hardy/Ellis

2009: Orakpo. He was the #1 overall player on my Big board and I had Maybin in the 6th round lol. With our later pick I would have taken M Johnson or E Brown only because I already knew he hadn’t solved our pass rush issue with Maybin. Both were still available at our 2nd so I wanted them over Byrd too. If we did land Orakpo I would have turned to OL with our 2nd 1st. PS I cant believe we accepted the Eagles 2nd 1st instead of their 1st 1st. Their 1st pick would have been high enough to land Oher. I said it when the trade happened and I mean it – I would have told Andy Reid to eat my sh*t, we will only accept your higher 1st. Oher and Orakpo.

2010: Tebow, Bulaga, Iupati, Pouncy in that order. I list all 4 of those guys because I wasn’t sold on any of them as top 10 picks and would have liked a trade down but would have taken Tebow if I couldn’t. In the 2nd I wanted Gronkowski and in the 3rd I wanted John Jerry (Dolphins starting G this year)

My Team – Offense:

Mangold

Clady

Limas Sweed (oops)

Oher (or Jason peters still – I would not have accepted the Eagles 2nd 1st)

Tebow

Gronkowski

John Jerry

Bills – Offense

Late 4th round pick (Lynch)

Hardy

Ellis

Wood

Spiller

My Team – Defense:

Ngata

Jon Beason

D. Connor

Orakpo

Michael Johnson

***we still have Greer (and Pat Williams for that matter)

Bills – Defense

Whitner

McCargo

McKelvin

Maybin

Byrd

Troupe

Carrington

I wonder which team would win in a game? It’s pathetic that I can out-draft an entire NFL scouting staff with basic cable and an internet connection <_< .

Willis was picked 1 spot ahead of Lynch, so that wasn't possible ... I remember really po'd when 9ers did that to us.

It was no surprise when it happened. Willis had worked out during his college summers with Singlertary 1 v 1. At one point, they quoted Singletary saying something like “If we have the opportunity to add Willis to the 49ers, we will do everything we can to get it done, I can promise you that”

That’s why I am pissed the Bills didn’t move up – they knew he was going to be gone. But what angers me more was Marvs comments post draft “We had 3 guys we ere targeting and all 3 made it to us, we took the best one” Really? All 3 guys you wanted were still there? So you weren’t looking at ADRIAN PETERSON or Wills or J Thomas or C Johnson? Wow, just wow.

2007: Lynch (wasn't really thrilled with this whole draft)

2008: Ryan Clady/Chris Williams/Branden Albert (all OTs)

2009: Orakpo

2010: Anthony Davis or Bryan Bulaga (both OTs)

2011: Bowers/Fairley/Dareus

As was Rolando McClain ahead of Spiller last season. I'm sensing a trend here...

I was ok with the Spiller pick last year. In '09 I wanted any of the USC linebackers. Preferably Cushing. One of the few times I was disgusted by who the Bills picked first overall. Never was a Maybin believer, not then, not now.

2010: Brandon Graham, Michigan DE, taken two picks later by the Eagles. He had 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles before being lost to a torn ACL in week 14. I saw Graham as being a good fit as a 3-4 rush backer. The Eagles had him bulk up about 15 pounds from his combine weight and played him at defensive end in their 4-3 scheme.

2009: Robert Ayers, Tennessee DE, taken 7 picks later by the Denver Broncos. I viewed Ayers as an ideal 4-3 end (the scheme we were playing at the time). Denver asked him to slim down from 277 to about 260 and converted him to outside linebacker in their 3-4, after he had played his last two years of college as a 4-3 end. However Denver is converting back to a 4-3 and Ayers is expected to start at his natural position.

I publicly HATED the Aaron Maybin pick mostly because the only video at all was that bowl game against USC…the game where he had one sack nullified because he was offsides…and didn't do anything for the rest of the game except get pushed around. I also wanted to stack pass rushers and trench players in this draft and was in favor of drafting Ziggy Hood or Everette Brown when we selected Eric Wood. I did like the Wood pick though…at least he was a lineman. When we selected Jairus Byrd in the 3rd round, I was again hoping that we'd draft Everette Brown (he went right after Byrd) or Connor Barwin. Barwin had 3.5 sacks in a promising rookie career (he was also a tight end) but had his 2010 season ruined by being placed on IR after a week one injury.

I liked that we drafted Andy Levitre when we did in the 2nd round. In the 4th round we drafted Shawn Nelson when I wanted us to draft Lawrence Sidbury (taken 4 picks later).

2008: Like the vast majority here, I liked the Leodis McKelvin selection. I saw the need and felt like he would become an excellent player…which hasn't happened…yet. I was on board with the James Hardy pick but like the Bills, I was wrong about him. I was actually hoping that Devin Thomas would slip down to us…he busted too. So has Limas Sweed and Malcolm Kelly so there's a bit of consolation there. On the other hand, we passed up on Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson so the Hardy pick really was a disaster. It happened to be fashionable that year for teams to seek big receivers with large catching radii who could be thrown to even when covered. Since then, teams again seem more concerned with getting receivers who can separate.

2006: I REALLY wanted them to trade down with either the Broncos or Eagles, who were both angling to move up. Assuming that they stayed put, I wanted Ngata. When they traded up in the later part of the 1st round, I assumed that it was for OL help (Mangold or Justice); I thought McCargo was a REAL reach. I know we all cursed the name of Chris Mortenson that day because of his criticism of that draft, but his suggestion that there was panic and confusion in the Bills' War Room that day seems to be correct.

2007: I was hoping that either Peterson or Willis would fall. When that didn't happen, I thought they should either draft Leon Hall or D. Revis.

2008: I must confess that I was thrilled with the McKelvin pick at the time.

2009: I couldn't believe that Orakpo was still on the board at #11 -- and I couldn't believe that the Bills by-passed him in favor of Maybin. I was very happy with the other first round pick, Wood.

2010: I was OK with Spiller, believing the hype that he was the BPA. Time will tell.

2006a : DT Haloti Ngata (Huge DT with great agi. was a easy pick imo)

2006b : C Nick Mangold (As a buckeye fan still hate seeing him not in a Bills uni)

2007 : ILB Lawrence Timmons (Had him as #2 ILB behind P.Willis)

2008 : CB Leodis McKelvin (Thought he have the stuff to be a lockdown CB)

2009 : DE/OLB Brian Orakpo (Was another easy pick for us but nope)

2009 : C Eric Wood (Good pick)

2010 : OT Bryan Bulaga (Top notch LT? Maybe not. All-pro RT, I think so)

Edited by bills_red

2006: Haloti Ngata (since Vince Young went at #3)

2007: Marshawn Lynch

2008: Any of the WRs

2009: Brian Orakpo

2009: Any OL

2010: Anthony Davis, Brian Bulaga, or Jermaine Gresham

Would have had a bad 07 & 08, but still done better than the Bills, lol.

Edited by BlueFire

• 1 month later...

2007: Justin Harrel

2008: Leodis McKelvin (was hoping for Albert, but happy when Leodis was still there)

2009:Brandon Pettigrew

2010: Rolondo McClain

2011: Still don't know, but right now Dareus tops my list

When the Bills were on the clock in 2010, McClain was off the board ;)

Last year, I was on the phone with my brother in NC saying "anyone but CJ Spiller".....

I wasn't against the Spiller pick, and in fact I thought choosing a RB was a good idea considering the state of affairs concerning Marshawn Lynch. Then again I thought they would go O line before the 5th round, even then that 5th rounder never saw the field, which was pretty bad considering how desperate the Bills were for steady play at RT.

Also, I don't have access to run a check on any player like the Bills do..... so I would know stuff like ....can he block, does he know protections, does he know the receiver route tree, does he know more then one route? Clearly Spiller is another one trick pony with speed just like Aaron Maybin, and just like Maybin what good is the speed if the player doesn't understand how to utilize it. What good is a player who can't block or tackle at any position, save QB.

To say the Bills scouts screwed the pooch again would be an understatement, I just don't get how this scouting staff can be so bad for this long and still retain their jobs

Anthony Davis T or trade back and get Bulaga RT

Brian Orakpo or Oher

i was ok with McKelvin

I was ok with ML

Ngata

I am your brother and I was saying it first, plus Flowers, Williams and Maybin.

Now to the picks:

2006 Haloti Ngata

2007 Jon Beason

2008 Ryan Clady

2009 Robert Ayers, but also wanted Cushing and Matthews

2010 Wanted to trade back for Bulaga and trade up for Tebow and Gronkowski in the second, Man our offense would be rocking with this combo. Of course we wouldn't have the 3rd overall but whatever We could be Drafting Castonzo, Solder, Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt,etc who could be just as good as whoever we pick 3rd.

2006 Haloti Ngata (initially wasn't mad about the Whitner pick though)

2007 Patrick Willis (49ers were willing to swap picks)

2008 Leodis McKelvin (I still don't think it was a bad pick at the time)

2009a Brian Orakpo (D'oh)

2009b Michael Oher (After watching Blind Side... D'oh)

2010 Buluga(I still don't think Spiller is a bad pick though)

Um, I can't think back that far. This is a job for Captiain Hindsight

...I'll play Captain Hindsight: I wanted just about anybody else other then the players the Bills drafted. As proof, check out the article from the Rochester D&C this morning, where one enterprising person with too much time on his hands ranked the Bills dead last in drafting over the past 5 years.

...(I still don't think Spiller is a bad pick though)...

Oh it wasn't a "bad pick"...it was a monumentally stupid, arrogant, luxury draft choice, but certainly not a bad pick. :doh::sick:

2006a : DT Haloti Ngata (Huge DT with great agi. was a easy pick imo)

2006b : C Nick Mangold (As a buckeye fan still hate seeing him not in a Bills uni)

2007 : ILB Lawrence Timmons (Had him as #2 ILB behind P.Willis)

2008 : CB Leodis McKelvin (Thought he have the stuff to be a lockdown CB)

2009 : DE/OLB Brian Orakpo (Was another easy pick for us but nope)

2009 : C Eric Wood (Good pick)

2010 : OT Bryan Bulaga (Top notch LT? Maybe not. All-pro RT, I think so)

Wow. Were all these guys available when the Bills drafted? Could the Bills have been this much better then they are? They could have had Ngata, Mangold, Timmons, Orakpo and Bulaga on the team being locked out as I write this? Un-freakin' believable. What on earth does Tom Modrak have he's holding over Ralph?

2007: Lynch

2008: McKelvin

2009: Orakpo

2009-b: Unger

2010: Claussen

So I guess i'm not perfect either...but with Ngata and Orakpo alone, I'd draft a damn sight better than the Bills front office over the last 5 years. With those two on board now the Bills would have a solid front 7 and be able to cause problems for any offense they faced...with Ngata collapsing the pocket and clogging the run lanes, and bringing pressure all day long from the blind side.

2006A: Broderick Bunkley, after Vernon Davis was picked two spots earlier.

2006B: Can't remember, but I think it was about even between Marcedes Lewis, Nick Mangold or Mathias Kiwanuka.

2007: Marshawn Lynch

2008: Leodis McKelvin, more as BPA (I expected him to go a bit earlier). I wasn't sold on anyone.

2009A: Brian Orakpo. That should have been one of the easiest picks in years. Idiots.

2009B: Can't remember this one, either (probably still too pissed after they picked Maybin). I think I wanted them to draft either James Laurinaitis or Brian Robiskie. Robiskie would've been a surprise at the time, but I was already pretty sure that Hardy would never make it.

2010: Sean Weatherspoon or Brandon Graham. Much like '08, I wasn't sold on anyone.

So far, 2011 looks like another 2008 or 2010. I'm not sold on any of these guys and probably won't be.

2006 - Broderick Bunkley

2007 - Darrelle Revis (like others, only because Willis was gone)

2008 - Devin Thomas (oops)

2009a - Larry English or Brian Cushing (I agonized over this one)

2009b - Eric Wood (got one right...hooray!)

2010 - Brian Bulaga

Who do I want for 2011?

In this order: Von Miller, J.J. Watt, Julio Jones

2006 I was all over Ngata. I could not believe our good fortune that he was still on the board.

With our second 1st round pick I will never forget. I was driving home & listening to the draft on WGR. They were still b*tching how we took Lil Donte with the our 1st pick. When they said the bills have traded up I along with the boys at GR(I think it was White/Riter/Simon) were thining great, we got our center in Mangold. Wrong again.

2007 I was okay with Lynch.

2008 I was indifferent. I was kind of glad we got Mcdipshit since I believe alot of publications had him rated as the top cornerback in the draft. To bad he has sh*t for brains & the coaching staff can not trust him.

2009 I really wanted either Orakpo or Oher. I could not believe my ears when they announced Maybin.

2010 Once again I was alright I suppose with Spiller. I watched him alot in college & I seen this guy flat out take over games. Hopefully the coaches figure out a way to get him in the game plan. I know everybody here loves Fred Jackson but seriously the offense needs to run thru Spiller this year. He needs at least 20-25 touches per game. He is one of our few game breakers imo.

This year with the 3rd pick even the Bills I do not think could f*ck this pick up. My preference is Dline/LB in which I would like them to either take Darius(I think Denver will grab him at #2), Quinn or Miller. The thing is I would also be alright if they took Peterson(I think he is the best player in the draft) or even Newton. I got to believe we could even trade down a few picks & pick up another 2nd for some team that is hot on peterson/Newton/Green. Should be interesting.

Not saying that I would have been right about all of these but:

2006 Whitner (kidding) Ngata

2007 Lynch

2008 McKelvin or Rogers-Cromartie

2009 Orakpo or Oher

2010 McClain (even though he was taken one pick before us)

a) Hoped that D'Brick would fall to us.

b) Really wanted the Bills to trade down with either Denver or Philly to pick up an additional 2nd rounder.

c) When they stayed put at #8, I was hoping for Cutler.

d) When they traded up for McCargo, I was hoping it was for Winston Justice.

I wanted Darrelle Revis

I admit that I wanted Leodis McKelvin and was happy when he was still there for the Bills.

I wanted Orakpo, but had heard rumors that the Bills were down on Texas players after the Dockery and Mike Williams fiascoes. Excluding him, I wanted Michael Oher.

a) I was hoping that the Seahawks would pass on Okung.

b) When they didn't, I agreed with the Bills that CJ Spiller was the best player on the board.

Hoping for Von Miller. I think this kid could be a dynamic difference-maker, whose mere presence could add a spark to the defense. I'm not sold on any of the QBs, and I really do not see DT as a problem. Yes, the defense was gouged in the running game last year -- but that came mostly as a result of poor pursuit rather than getting pounded up the middle. In fact, I think the LB corps is in such need of repair that I would advocate drafting another in the middle rounds.

Edited by 2003Contenders

2006-

1a- Ngata. I wanted him more than anyone I can remember. Couldn't believe he fell to us. When I heard the commish announce "the Buffalo Bills select Donte Whitner" I felt the same as when the titans scored the Kevin Dyson scored "that" TD and the announcers said "there's no flags on the field!! 5 words of pain. Looking back, If we would've taken Ngata, the last few years of football would've been much more enjoyable. Twitter may have been a little less entertaining though.

1b- Winston Justice. When I saw that we traded up, I was sure it was gonna be Justices' name called. Hearing McCargos name called a couple hours after whitners almost put me in the hospital. Looking back, while Justice hasn't been pretty ineffective, he would've contributed more than McCargo.

2007- Well, I wanted Adrian Peterson, I though he was the best RB I've ever seen in college, barry sanders included. But I didn't think we'd trade up and was sure he wouldn't fall that far, so lynch was the guy I wanted. I though he was a stud and would be a star. I was wrong, but I still loved him as a bill and really enjoyed watching him play.

2008- Ryan Clady- I though he and peters would be our bookends for a long time. I figured we would pass and take Rodgers-Cromartie, mike Jenkins or Mckelvin. Looking back, it doesn't sting as much as passing on Ngata, but it stings nonetheless.

2009-

1a- Brian Orakpo-. I also liked Cushing. I didn't know much about Maybin, but was impressed with his burst from the vids I had seen on him. Looking back, ouch.

1b- Rey Muualuga or however you spell it. I know people questioned his speed, but I though he was an animal. Looking back, I'm happy we took Wood. I like the guy.

2010- Dez Bryant. I though he was ridiculous in college, but I couldn't see us pulling the trigger on him. I also thought that Tebow or Clausen would've been good picks. Looking back, while I think Bryant will be a better player, I like spiller and think he will do some great things in a bills uniform.

This year: I'd have to say Von Miller at this point. Id also be happy with newton, gabbert, Dareus or fairley. If we tale Peterson or green, I won't jump for joy, but I think we'd be getting great players that will help our team in the long run.

Edited by NewEra