Robert Quinn DE UNC, #1 overall pick

balln

So I remember this guy two years ago, and wondered what happened to him. Per PFT, Mayock says he could go #1.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/23/mayock-combine-may-put-robert-quinn-in-mix-for-no-1-overall-pick/

And here is the impressive highlight vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuKdkjZf5uk

He looks great, big, fast, plays the run well, has some pass rush moves. This leaves Quinn, Fairley, or Newton in play at #3 - depending on who takes who ahead of the bills. Another good possibility is that the Bills will have leverage to trade (3 awesome talents). But I think they should take one of these 3.

It's still early. We have to wait for the combine but I think Quinn is going to move up the boards. He is already mentioned in the top 10 and the guy didn't even play any football last year. If his measureables match the tape and the press that I saw he will be highly sought after.

Check the signature :)

quinn would have to really do some amazing things in the next month or so -- that said, if what he was doing as a sophomore is indicitive, its possible.

at 265-270 lbs, already an nfl body

his 4.38 being a full tenth and then some faster than peppers

his deadlift breaking the unc record (ie also stronger than peppers)

all at 19.

i can only imagine what he could possibly do another year older, and another year removed from his brain surgery.

i also love that he was a multi-time state champion wrestler in highschool, going like 80-0 at one point before (?) that surgery. obviously he gets things like leverage, and using his hands.

not to mention coming back from a brain tumor surgery might be indicitive of him being able to stay productive away from the sports, instead of being a lazy bum on the couch during the year off.

all depends how he spent the year off. he is one of few that will potentially move at the combine, as he didnt have film last year.

Edited by NoSaint

He is an absolute stud in my opinion, however I think #1 overall is just typical draft hype. He is going to be around when the Bills pick at #3, and I truly hope we grab him or go Cam Newton. I think either one helps us rebuild immediately. Also NoSaint, where did you see that 4.38 time? The fastest I've seen is 4.65 on him, which is still amazing for a man his size.

This guy is an unbelievable talent and in spite of concerns about him, I'd be fine if the Bills rolled the dice on him (yes, at #3).

Gifted pass rushers like Quinn simply do not come out every year.

He looks like Charles Haley to me. Off-the-charts athleticism, speed, quickness, power…the whole package.

Mayock does say he thinks his most natural position is at 4-3 DE, not 3-4 OLB.

Be that as it may, he would be so good as a 3-4 OLB or as an end backer in a hybrid that I wouldn't care if he could cover receivers.

He is an absolute stud in my opinion, however I think #1 overall is just typical draft hype. He is going to be around when the Bills pick at #3, and I truly hope we grab him or go Cam Newton. I think either one helps us rebuild immediately. Also NoSaint, where did you see that 4.38 time? The fastest I've seen is 4.65 on him, which is still amazing for a man his size.

was a bleacher "article" -- ill see if i can find a better source, but an interesting read on him. obviously a unc/quinn homer, but that doesnt mean nothing can be taken from it

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/425166-robert-quinn-the-monster-off-the-edge

edit- yea, i can find a lot of discussion about it, but nothing "official." atleast if your looking for an esp article. its said the 4.6 was when he was 18 and still ramping up after the brain surgery. that he improved both those and in the spring post sophomore year he hit 4.38, and the lifting mark. if remotely true, the combine could be interesting. 4.38 would put him step for step with some of the quicker backs and receivers to run. depending on the game it could make him the fastest player on the field any given snap. especially if he has been working hard - might see better numbers yet.

edit again - here we go - espn insider reference to his 4.38

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=nfl_draft&id=5372975&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog%3fname%3dnfl_draft%26id%3d5372975

Edited by NoSaint

Is it just me, or did he only seem to use speed going around the tackle to get his sacks in his highlight reel? I don't really want someone who will just try to run around the tackle all the time like Maybin and end up not doing anything ever.

Hes definitely a specimen. Anyone that is away from the game a year scares me a bit though. I prefer newton or fairley. Hoping either of them fall to us.

Also, does anyone here know why he missed last year?

Is it just me, or did he only seem to use speed going around the tackle to get his sacks in his highlight reel? I don't really want someone who will just try to run around the tackle all the time like Maybin and end up not doing anything ever.

quinn ran a 4.38

maybin ran close to a 4.8... just a tiny shade under at the combine.... i think a 4.78-4.79, when he bulked up to 250. his speed and agility numbers were awful at 250. he ran about 4.6 when he ran at the school proday a few weeks later on a different track and a little lighter.

robert quinns playing weight - 265-270

maybin was playing at or around 230-235? i think he was under 230 at the preseason weigh ins his sophomore year.

not the same players.

Edited by NoSaint

Hey Haplo.

Quinn uses his speed rush a lot because he's so successful with it, but I understand your concern.

Derrick Thomas made a career out of beating blockers to the outside…he literally didn't have an inside counter move although he would stunt inside on two man games. Here's a two minute feature of Derrick Thomas (NFL Network's 10th best pass rusher of all time): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-T371I-T2c&feature=related

You'll see that of dozens of sacks shown, only a small handful were on inside rushes.

Quinn looks like a Charles Haley, Derrick Thomas like talent. Even hypothetically if he never used anything but an outside rush, he would be so successful as to demand lots of double teams. And a defender who is consistently double teamed is always a victory for the defense.

I'm seeing a lot of Maybin-induced concerns in discussions about Quinn and Von Miller. I understand those concerns but I think for some, they've grown into overblown phobias. Most great pass rushers base their success on the outside rush, and then build their technique off of that.

Quinn and Miller are way beyond Maybin in terms of talent. They are both bigger, faster, more explosive, stronger, and have better instincts. In fact, it looks like Quinn and Miller both have great football instincts.

He appears to be the dominant pass rusher coming out for the 2011 NFL draft;however,coaches will breakdown full game films which may expose weakness not seen on highlight tape. The number one overall should be well rounded and balanced on and off the field. If Quinn can display solid(not amazing) run defense potential to Carolina, they may consider Quinn for their top pick in 2012.

quinn ran a 4.38

maybin ran close to a 4.8... just a tiny shade under at the combine.... i think a 4.78-4.79, when he bulked up to 250. his speed and agility numbers were awful at 250. he ran about 4.6 when he ran at the school proday a few weeks later on a different track and a little lighter.

robert quinns playing weight - 265-270

maybin was playing at or around 230-235? i think he was under 230 at the preseason weigh ins his sophomore year.

not the same players.

I absolutely love Quinn. I love the size, the speed. If he runs anywhere near a 4.38 at the combine he could very well go #1. Originally I wanted the bills to possibly trade down to 7 or 8 with some team that fell in love with Newton/Peterson & pick up an extra 2nd & still be able to grab Quinn, but I do not think he will be around past #5 now.

He appears to be the dominant pass rusher coming out for the 2011 NFL draft;however,coaches will breakdown full game films which may expose weakness not seen on highlight tape. The number one overall should be well rounded and balanced on and off the field. If Quinn can display solid(not amazing) run defense potential to Carolina, they may consider Quinn for their top pick in 2012.

i think you see even in the highlights, he is disciplined and does play the run honestly. theres a reason that he is a top 5 prospect without playing last year, and its not just that he gets around the outside. although that helps.

So I remember this guy two years ago, and wondered what happened to him. Per PFT, Mayock says he could go #1.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/23/mayock-combine-may-put-robert-quinn-in-mix-for-no-1-overall-pick/

And here is the impressive highlight vid.

youtube.com/watch?v=UuKdkjZf5uk

He looks great, big, fast, plays the run well, has some pass rush moves. This leaves Quinn, Fairley, or Newton in play at #3 - depending on who takes who ahead of the bills. Another good possibility is that the Bills will have leverage to trade (3 awesome talents). But I think they should take one of these 3.

Love the highlights. There appears to be SOOOO much talent at the top of this draft. Please Buddy, PLEASE don't screw this pick up. There's like 6-10 different players that you can argue make sense to take at #3. many of them look like they can be beasts i nthe NFL. Please get this right and get one of those guys.

I would love to see him and Merriman (healthy) on the field together next year. The run d would be impressive I think. The only concern at that point is if we can get an ilb or two that can cover, assuming these two may have some issues.

The vid is impressive but I only saw 2 or 3 games there, most of it against uva. #67 took a beating in film review, that's for sure.

The only thing with Quinn is the mental side, will he handle the money etc. If he can, I think he's a nice pick at 3 and looks like someone who can make some plays.

Love the highlights. There appears to be SOOOO much talent at the top of this draft. Please Buddy, PLEASE don't screw this pick up. There's like 6-10 different players that you can argue make sense to take at #3. many of them look like they can be beasts i nthe NFL. Please get this right and get one of those guys.

You jus know itll be one of the CBs or Aaron Miller. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Quinn is a great story too. He overcame a brain tumor when he was in H.S. He was suspended, like half the entire N.C. team was, for receiving improper benefits.

I'd have no issue whatsoever if we take him at #3 depending on his interviews/physical shape at the combine.

Pretty sure he was suspended for improper tutor help, no?

I've been talking about QUinn for months now, and he has got all the tools to be a top pass rusher in this league. Btw, he has a great inside move, so he's not just a speed rusher.

WHen the combine comes, he won't run a 4.38, probably will be closer to mid 4.5's which would still be a phenomenal time for some one of his size. He's strong, agile, fast and productive, what's there not to like other than him missing football last year?

Btw, his teammate Bruce Carter. Will probably be an even better pro who is stronger and faster than Quinn. Not a passrusher, but just a good overall LB.

Edited by Magox

I've been talking about QUinn for months now, and he has got all the tools to be a top pass rusher in this league. Btw, he has a great inside move, so he's not just a speed rusher.

WHen the combine comes, he won't run a 4.38, probably will be closer to mid 4.5's which would still be a phenomenal time for some one of his size. He's strong, agile, fast and productive, what's there not to like other than him missing football last year?

Btw, his teammate Bruce Carter. Will probably be an even better pro who is stronger and faster than Quinn. Not a passrusher, but just a good overall LB.

If not for suspensions that defense might have had a few first rounders this year. If we get 1-2 of them I won't complain one bit.

Does anyone know if he's running at the combine? (Or if he already did?)

I absolutely love Quinn. I love the size, the speed. If he runs anywhere near a 4.38 at the combine he could very well go #1. Originally I wanted the bills to possibly trade down to 7 or 8 with some team that fell in love with Newton/Peterson & pick up an extra 2nd & still be able to grab Quinn, but I do not think he will be around past #5 now.

Quinn has been on my radar since around December as I started digging into the draft a bit. I had the same hopes as you, that the Bills might be able to slide back a spot or three, pick up an extra pick or two, and still grab Quinn who I think might be one of the most impressive defensive players in the draft. But you're right -- a good combine will eliminate that shot. And let's face it, he's a beast physically, there's no way he's not going to put up good numbers.

The beauty of picking 3 is that there's no real bad player right now. If you think about it, the Bills can't really screw it up. I'd be happy with Quinn, Fairley, Bowers, Darius or Newton. I'd be disappointed if they took Green or Peterson -- but I think they're so gifted athletically that I could learn to live with it down the line. I am not a huge fan of Cam Jordan or Von Miller -- but I think they could be solid players even if they aren't as sexy as the other picks.

I have eight players that I'd be fine with -- players that I think could really step in and help the Bills pretty quickly. And, with the possible exception of Newton (since QBs are a different breed), all eight of those guys seem to be pretty safe bets to be at the very least solid NFL starters. So really, unless the Bills go way off script and trade completely out of the top 10, I can't see a way they miss that badly. They certainly could pass up a super star for a solid cog in the machine (which is why I am no longer an advocate of trading back, take a shot that there's a super star at 3 and roll the dice) -- but that's true of everyone in the draft. I don't think though that there's a real big bust potential with this first pick.

People here are just overly gun-shy about it because the front office has been so bad for so long. I've been one of the biggest critics. Yet, it's going to take record level incompetence on behalf of Wilson, Nix and Gailey to fug the first pick up.

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be (possibly large) sections of the population here on TSW screaming it's the end of the world regardless of who's picked ... but so long as it's one of those 8 dudes, I'm cool with it.

Edit: I should note that when compiling those 8 guys I was thinking about the future of the team more so than just the next season. A guy like Newton wouldn't see the field in '11 but would become vital down the line.

Edited by tgreg99

its so stupid how people say oh he was suspended so he has major character issues!!! dont take him. there are many many different cases and not all are the same. AJ green was suspended for selling HIS jersey i repeat HIS OWN JERSEY for $1000. Nebraska sold multiple game worn jerseys at the same time but they kept the $. what does this teach the players. its ok for us not for you so your suspended? its weak.

Quinn has also been labled a strong team leader who leads by example and his play. always in the gym as well. hes credited that with his recovering from the brain tumor his senior year in highschool. teammates and coaches love the kid.

im not %100 but i think he was part of that group of players who went to cali for training and the agent paid for it or something like that.

i think he would be a great player for the bills

He was suspended last year for breaking NCAA rules. Next he will be mowing down old ladies on Niagara Falls Blvd. Just pass. Remember talent without character will not cut it in this league.

Niagara Falls Police Blotter on 103.3 The Edge.

Ha, no - but in all seriousness, Quinn is a stud.

The beauty of picking 3 is that there's no real bad player right now. If you think about it, the Bills can't really screw it up.

I wish that were true, but have you followed the Bills over the last 10 years? If there is one thing the Bills do "well" it's F up their 1st round draft pick... I have been trained by Ralph Wilson's front office to believe the Bills will take the WORST possible player at #3...And I'll believe that until I'm proven wrong...

Having said that, Quinn is a beast and I hope we take him :thumbsup:

Edited by Turbosrrgood

its so stupid how people say oh he was suspended so he has major character issues!!! dont take him. there are many many different cases and not all are the same. AJ green was suspended for selling HIS jersey i repeat HIS OWN JERSEY for $1000. Nebraska sold multiple game worn jerseys at the same time but they kept the $. what does this teach the players. its ok for us not for you so your suspended? its weak.

Quinn has also been labled a strong team leader who leads by example and his play. always in the gym as well. hes credited that with his recovering from the brain tumor his senior year in highschool. teammates and coaches love the kid.

im not %100 but i think he was part of that group of players who went to cali for training and the agent paid for it or something like that.

i think he would be a great player for the bills

I agree that college rules are too strict, and Quinn shouldn't be judged as a "bad guy" because of the suspension....However the AJ green thing was just STUPID. AJ HAD to have known the selling property provided to him by the team for money during the season was against the rules (and if he didn't, he is even dumber than I thought). I have no doubt he did this knowing the rules.

Again, having said that I'd still be happy with AJ on my team :thumbsup:

Who cares about character at this point, we need TALENT! Trent was a great high character guy...too bad he SUCKED.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

He was suspended last year for breaking NCAA rules. Next he will be mowing down old ladies on Niagara Falls Blvd. Just pass. Remember talent without character will not cut it in this league.

He was suspended for receiving improper benefits from an agent. Do you know what those benefits were? It was a free plane ticket to Miami and lodging so that he could work out and train at a special facility with current NFL players who are also clients of the agent during the offseason. I think he also was given some diamond earrings.

Im not passing on a guy who could be the next Demarcus Ware because he went to the wrong gym.

Edited by Thoner7

I think Quinn is going to be a good player, but for me, he's an even greater risk than Von Miller--the other pass rusher that's been hotly debated on this board.

Think of it this way: if you're Buddy Nix, and you have to get this pick right, how can you possibly feel comfortable about drafting a guy with 1 productive season, who played in the ACC (not exactly a source of NFL-caliber competition), who produced 8 of his 11 sacks in that season in only 3 games, with off-field issues (whether you think they're serious or not, they're there), who's never played in a 3-4, benefitted from playing on a loaded defense (NFL prospects like Bruce Carter, Quan Sturdivant, Marvin Austin, and Deunta Williams), and who is 15 months removed from having played his last snap of competitive football?

Like I said, I do think he'll be a good player, but this player is hardly the slam-dunk that many here are making him out to be.

Also, a point about the off-field issues: to me, are the transgressions themselves a big deal? Not really. However, there's no possible way that these kids don't know that what they're doing is against NCAA rules, which to me shows bad judgement.

Bad judgement on the part of a draft prospect--whether you like the player or not--is a character issue. Kids all around the country have opportunities to take benefits, but many are smart enough to pass them up, knowing that their gratification will be delayed until they get to the NFL.

If the choice comes down to a guy that's smart enough to wait for his money, versus the guy that jeopordizes his future by taking a benefit when it's against the rules, give me the former.

Quinn is better than Bowers.....

watch the tape.....Quinn can physically beat his blocker...Bowers can NOT. bowers relies on his speed.

Not to sound snarky (although this probably will), but I'm pretty sure that nobody on this board has access to the coaches' tape; youtube maybe, but that's hardly "watching the tape".

Nevertheless, I agree with you, Quinn's one good season was more impressive to me than Bowers' one good season.

I think Quinn is going to be a good player, but for me, he's an even greater risk than Von Miller--the other pass rusher that's been hotly debated on this board.

Think of it this way: if you're Buddy Nix, and you have to get this pick right, how can you possibly feel comfortable about drafting a guy with 1 productive season, who played in the ACC (not exactly a source of NFL-caliber competition), who produced 8 of his 11 sacks in that season in only 3 games, with off-field issues (whether you think they're serious or not, they're there), who's never played in a 3-4, benefitted from playing on a loaded defense (NFL prospects like Bruce Carter, Quan Sturdivant, Marvin Austin, and Deunta Williams), and who is 15 months removed from having played his last snap of competitive football?

Like I said, I do think he'll be a good player, but this player is hardly the slam-dunk that many here are making him out to be.

That is a pretty tough argument to buy. Von Miller weighs 35-40 pounds less, and Quinn has similar or possibly more speed. True Miller played in a 3-4, but it is doubtful that at ~235 lbs he would be able to play OLB in the NFL, he would probably play ILB in a 3-4. Also, plenty of great top round talent has come out of the ACC..Julius Peppers, Mario Williams...When Quinn was playing he showed very rare domination, not just against the pass, but against the run too. Miller got pushed around when he wasn't speed rushing, especially against the run. I can't emphasize this enough, not only does Quinn have rare talent, but its combined with rare athleticism and size...Something the Bills desperately need...

Many of the great 3-4 OLB's today were 4-3 DE's in college. Ware, Suggs, ect...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm the resident UNC homer, so I'll bite. Quinn is a good kid -- no character issues. The NCAA violations were legitimate but nothing of the sort that should cause an NFL team to have concern.

I would be thrilled with this pick at #3 for Buffalo. The Bills need a stud DE -- here's your stud DE.

My understanding is that the shuttle drill is far more important for assessing DEs than the 40. Defensive ends don't run 40 yards unless something really bad or - more rarely - really good (turnover return) is happening.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2010/introducing-sackseer

Maybin's short shuttle time was very average (4.38) and his vertical leap was 38 inches.

I advise focusing on these things rather than the 40 time, which ultimately doesn't mean much.

EDIT: Schobel had a blistering 4.03 time in the short shuttle. Terrell Suggs, who had a slow 40 time, ran a very strong 4.14 in the shuttle. He's turned out OK.

Edited by dave mcbride

Im not concerned with these NCAA regulations at all. Bottom line is this, the NCAA makes hundreds of millions of dollars off of these athletes yet excepts these guys to walk around dead broke all the time. As a college athlete, yes you get a free education and that is great, however football practice, meetings, functions, and games take up SOOO much of these guy's time. They should be paid something in my opinion. Of course I mean something small, and the same to every player. If these guys who mostly grew up poor, were given a few dollars so that they can live decent lives, then I think the whole money issue with college players would be cut down considerably. They arent even able to get part times jobs. Thats totally not right. Thats like saying "you have to pass all of your exams, but your not aloud to study". Its just not realistic. We only hear about 10 percent of the athletes who take money for something, the rest go under the radar.

P.S. If this guy runs a 4.38 at the combine he probably will go #1. The chances of that happening in my opinion are ZERO! He is simply too big and too tall

Edited by coseybedaman