Luck will not declare for the draft. Breaking news...

dayman

I am not sure that we should assume that he will go #1 next year. He may not have as great a season, or get injured, or other great players might show up (QB, DE, OL, RB) etc. In other words, we might not need to be first in the draft order to get Luck. Having said that, I'd be surprised if he dropped lower than #5.

I have to say that his decision only heightens my respect for him. I am a college professor, and take education seriously. I am really pleased by the message this sends to young kids in America.

... but an economist might not be pleased with his decision to stay in school. :)

If one assumes, for example, that a good quarterback on average plays until he is 35 (i.e. each player has a fixed amount of time that he will be athletically gifted enough to play in the league) then by not coming out he is shaving one year off of his total career. This, of course, negatively impacts his cumulative earnings (ignoring the myriad of other things that could impact earning potential). There really is no good economic reason for staying in school if you are likely to be the #1 overall pick. A player can finish his education whenever he retires or during the off-season (and, of course, many do).

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.) When was the last time a "knee" ended a QBs career? Luck would have to break his neck or get his throwing arm amputated to drop in draft position.

It didn't end it, but it seemed that Carson Palmer was 3rd only to Brady and Manning in 2005 (I think that was the year) and hasn't been the same since.

It didn't end it, but it seemed that Carson Palmer was 3rd only to Brady and Manning in 2005 (I think that was the year) and hasn't been the same since.

Dante won a co MVP award, blew out his knee and was never the same. But your point is well taken, there aren't many examples

Its just poor logic, is what it is. He can get an education the rest of his life after football or in the offseason. Besides, the entire point most people make when they say "Its so important to get a good education", is because it offers you the opportunity to get a better job to make more money. He had the opportunity to make the most money he ever will make, so to not take that is just downright illogical, especially considering he could go back to school at any point in time.

Some people value education for reasons beyond the ability to earn more money.

If he's as good as everyone says he is he will make his money eventually. Good for him...assuming he sticks to this. Still can change his mind.

PTR

While the chance of Luck declaring for the NFL Draft still exists, he won't.

By deciding to return to college ball, Luck is not only increasing his opportunity for sustaining a career-ending injury, he is also passing on the LAST potential guaranteed $60 million contract.

While Andrew Luck's "college try" spirit inspires the romantic side in all of us, it's an unreasonable risk and one that I struggle to understand.

Betta' Have Mah Dohnuts

This is good and bad. I wonder if this is all manipulated to drive us crazy by the Powers that be.

PTR mentioned to me once that there will always be seemingly franchise QBs. every draft season.

We just cannot go 0-whatever next year. just because.

So how could we get Luck the next year? I bet i am not the only person considering this.

Much less other coaches and team FO's

While the chance of Luck declaring for the NFL Draft still exists, he won't.

By deciding to return to college ball, Luck is not only increasing his opportunity for sustaining a career-ending injury, he is also passing on the LAST potential guaranteed $60 million contract.

While Andrew Luck's "college try" spirit inspires the romantic side in all of us, it's an unreasonable risk and one that I struggle to understand.

Betta' Have Mah Dohnuts

There sure seem to be a lot of people who don't understand the concept of insurance. Luck will have a very large policy in place before he steps back on a field.

Also, there is no gaurantee that 2011 draftees won't be subject to a new salary structure.

There sure seem to be a lot of people who don't understand the concept of insurance. Luck will have a very large policy in place before he steps back on a field.

Also, there is no gaurantee that 2011 draftees won't be subject to a new salary structure.

I guess I don't understand insurance in this case then :)

Will he get $20-$60MM if his ACL goes snap next year?

I'm honestly asking since I don't know who in the world would insure him for that?

I am not sure that we should assume that he will go #1 next year. He may not have as great a season, or get injured, or other great players might show up (QB, DE, OL, RB) etc. In other words, we might not need to be first in the draft order to get Luck. Having said that, I'd be surprised if he dropped lower than #5.

I have to say that his decision only heightens my respect for him. I am a college professor, and take education seriously. I am really pleased by the message this sends to young kids in America.

Hey I'm a college professor too, and I agree. In football terms, it's also smart. He was only finishing his sophomore year for goodness sake.

Gotta respect his decision. He understands the value of an education. But to walk away from the amount of money that he is going to walk away from and set your family up for life is admirable yet leaves me scratching my head a little bit. Nonetheless, kudos to Luck for sticking to his guns.

His family is fairly well-off from what I've read. And he'll make his money, just not yet...

Dante won a co MVP award, blew out his knee and was never the same. But your point is well taken, there aren't many examples

Actually, one could argue that it was Randy Moss being traded to the Raiders that led to Culpepper never being the same. Culpepper blew his knee out the first year without Moss and when he blew his knee out he had just 7 TD's (6 passing, 1 rushing) and 15 turnovers (12 INT's and 3 lost fumbles) and had a record of 2-4 going into the 7th game where he was knocked out in the first quarter. The year before with Moss he was Co-MVP with 39 TD's and 11 INT's...he also added 2 more TD's rushing that year.

He looked terrible that year without Moss prior to his knee, so hard to say what "really" was the cause of the demise of Culpepper.

Wow, would I be pissed if I was a Carolina fan.

Just a possibility but Luck has until Jan 15 to change his mind. Let's say Harbaugh went to Carolina or even Denver ...

I admire Luck for being able to resist the temptation and pursue his educational goal.

I guess I don't understand insurance in this case then :)

Will he get $20-$60MM if his ACL goes snap next year?

I'm honestly asking since I don't know who in the world would insure him for that?

I doubt he would want to insure for $60MM given the low risk of career ending injury and the lack of need for that much money, but yes, lots of companies will insure him. He just has to pay the premiums.

It's stupid for a few reasons. First of all, he can't do any better than #1, which is where he would be drafted this year. All he can do is the same or worse by staying in school. Second, we have no idea what is going to happen with the new CBA. He could end up earning a fraction of what he would have made this year by coming out. Third, as much as I agree with Tolstoy about education, there is no age limit on when you can complete it. Fourth, life happens. There is no guarantee that he will not be injured on or off the field, in some unforseen or unfortunate manner. And lastly, the simple fact is that when you have the opportunity to become a multi-millionaire, you TAKE IT!!!

agree. particularly point 3.

On the local Charlotte Fox affiliate weather station...

"The Panthers only have one reason for excitement, 2010 season had only one highlight, the top draft pick and that might be screwed up; star QB Andrew Luck will not be entering the draft."

Where are the fiddles?

... but an economist might not be pleased with his decision to stay in school. :)

If one assumes, for example, that a good quarterback on average plays until he is 35 (i.e. each player has a fixed amount of time that he will be athletically gifted enough to play in the league) then by not coming out he is shaving one year off of his total career. This, of course, negatively impacts his cumulative earnings (ignoring the myriad of other things that could impact earning potential). There really is no good economic reason for staying in school if you are likely to be the #1 overall pick. A player can finish his education whenever he retires or during the off-season (and, of course, many do).

Of course you can finish your education whenever you want, but he's only at this specific age/time period in his life once. He's without a doubt having the time of his life at Stanford (he's practically king there), and he knows that ultimately he's going to get paid, and paid well regardless if he came out this year or next. Anything short of a career ending injury and he'll probably still go #1 next year (look at Bradford, sat out practically an entire year and look where he went). Maybe Luck just isn't mentally ready to make the next step and grow up. He has plenty of time to grow up and get paid.

Hey I'm a college professor too, and I agree. In football terms, it's also smart. He was only finishing his sophomore year for goodness sake.

Not true. He took a redshirt year so academically he is finishing his junior year. And to reiterate what many have pointed out, in economic terms this is a bad, bad move. He can finish his education at any time but has a finite, diminishing window of opportunity to play in the NFL.

I was hesitant to open my piehole earlier but I feel more comfortable with it now.

While the Bills really do like Ryan Fitzpatrick, they absolutely love Andrew Luck and have for quite a while now.

While no commitment was made as to how much they'd have been willing to spend, they were definitely going to make an effort to move into that #1 hole and draft him.

I was hesitant to open my piehole earlier but I feel more comfortable with it now.

While the Bills really do like Ryan Fitzpatrick, they absolutely love Andrew Luck and have for quite a while now.

While no commitment was made as to how much they'd have been willing to spend, they were definitely going to make an effort to move into that #1 hole and draft him.

Sources deep within?

I really like what this front office is doing. That would have been the move to make!

if this was already said i apologize......

could you imagine if Buffalo had the #1 pick...we are whipped into a frenzy over Luck......and he announces he's not coming out ?.....OMG !!

I thought the same thing. I am sooooooo glad we didn't end up with the first pick. Not only would we be disappointed beyond belief, but we'd think it because he didn't want to come to Buffalo.