Just Be Happy about the WR's

CountDorkula

Why is it when wehave a good thing here in Buffalo the first thing people want to do is break that up. Of course I am talking about Lee Evans and Steve Johnson. They work very well together, and this just in, (whisper) They are both playing very well.

SO why must we always want to break that up. Can we not just enjoy what we have here with a legit receiving group?

I dont understand it at all. This group is very talented and have been producing. Who cares who is number 1 or number 2. What I care about is that they are producing and feeding off of each other and doing it very well.

Can we please put a rest to the Trade Evans talk and just let him play and produce when called upon.

(/rant)

--------

I will also take this as a side to apologize to The Big Cat. You and I went back and forth about Fitz, and it appears you may be right. I know when i am wrong and it appears that I am. Fitz has won me over with that comeback against Cinci, and I am all for him being the Bills QB.

Everywhere I look its drafting.

SJ>>> Hardy

K Williams>>> McCargo

T McGee, J Greer, Pat Williams, Jred Jackson>>> Maybin, Mike Williams etc.

Who is in charge of rounds 4-7 & the undrafteds? He/they deserve a serious promotion.

SJ>>> Hardy

K Williams>>> McCargo

Who is in charge of rounds 4-7 & the undrafteds? He/they deserve a serious promotion.

I agree!!! (I hope you're serious. I have been afraid to say this for fear of being attacked mercilessly.)

But the Bills are great at drafting in the late rounds.

Just put a TBD poll in charge of Rounds 1 and 2, where there is a crapload of easily accessible information about the Top 50 players in the draft.

Then have whoever keeps pulling out these late round picks continue.

We'd have Ngata, Orakpo, and have taken the SD trade last year for #9 and picked up some more talent at LB and O-Line

Edited by Why So Serious?

SJ>>> Hardy

K Williams>>> McCargo

Modrak? Just guessing but I'll bet Ralph, Dick(less) and Marv had more to do with the high pick whiffs and the scouts had more to do with the low-round and UDFA gems.

PTR

Why is it when wehave a good thing here in Buffalo the first thing people want to do is break that up. Of course I am talking about Lee Evans and Steve Johnson. They work very well together, and this just in, (whisper) They are both playing very well.

SO why must we always want to break that up. Can we not just enjoy what we have here with a legit receiving group?

I dont understand it at all. This group is very talented and have been producing. Who cares who is number 1 or number 2. What I care about is that they are producing and feeding off of each other and doing it very well.

Can we please put a rest to the Trade Evans talk and just let him play and produce when called upon.

(/rant)

--------

I will also take this as a side to apologize to The Big Cat. You and I went back and forth about Fitz, and it appears you may be right. I know when i am wrong and it appears that I am. Fitz has won me over with that comeback against Cinci, and I am all for him being the Bills QB.

when you throw in the 2 Nelsons, Donald Jones, Spiller, Parish & Easley on IR you've got 8 pretty good receivers right now.

when you throw in the 2 Nelsons, Donald Jones, Spiller, Parish & Easley on IR you've got 8 pretty good receivers right now.

I agree, save for Shawn Nelson. I think we can use a TE upgrade as much as any other position on this team, save a pass rushing OLB.

Anyone who thinks this is a receiving tandem that can win in the NFL is insane. Lee Evans is a legitimate starter in the league, but come on Stevie Johnson?? I LOVE what the guy is doing this season, but can we really believe that when his name is out there that this guy is going to still be productive? This is a player who is a product of the defensive attention that Lee Evans is getting, as well as a pass happy offense that is playing from behind most of the time. He drops a lot of balls as well. If this guy turns out to be the real deal then I am happy as can be about being dead wrong. I just can't see it though. He doesnt have great speed, great athleticism, great size, or great anything. I certainly think this team needs to still be looking for a wide receiver threat, but that is just one man's opinion.

Edited by coseybedaman

Anyone who thinks this is a receiving tandem that can win in the NFL is insane. Lee Evans is a legitimate starter in the league, but come on Stevie Johnson?? I LOVE what the guy is doing this season, but can we really believe that when his name is out there that this guy is going to still be productive? This is a player who is a product of the defensive attention that Lee Evans is getting, as well as a pass happy offense that is playing from behind most of the time. He drops a lot of balls as well. If this guy turns out to be the real deal then I am happy as can be about being dead wrong. I just can't see it though. He doesnt have great speed, great athleticism, great size, or great anything. I certainly think this team needs to still be looking for a wide receiver threat, but that is just one man's opinion.

Are you freaking serious?? (yes, i know you are. incredulous) you lost any credibility you may have had(though I have never seen you post before though it looks like you've been a member for awhile) when you said stevie drops a lot of balls. That's the most false statement I have seen in a long time. He rarely drops a ball in a game. He may not be a blazer speed wise but to say he doesn't have great athleticism or great anything is, is....I am at a loss for words. i'll go with asinine. Do you see the way he jukes people and then goes on to score a touchdown? That's not athletic? You are certainly allowed your opinion, but stevie is playing at a probowl level right now, and personally my opinion is that your opinion SUCKS. leave it to some Bills fans to not be happy about the best thing that happened to the bills in awhile. :wallbash: I'd bet you probably think kyle williams is too small to play nose tackle too

SJ>>> Hardy

K Williams>>> McCargo

This was exactly the subject of my (ignored) post from yesterday. How is it they find these gems in the later rounds and as FA walk-ons, but totally whiff on what should be the lowest risk pick that come in the early rounds of the draft.

My question is, do Ralph and the bean counters make the final decisions on the high dollar players, and only let the boys in the offices at One Bills Drive decide the FA scrubs and lower round guys.

BTW - I might even be inclined to add 2nd rounder Byrd to the list of potential busts. Time will tell. In spite of his 2009 ball-hawking skills in Perry's defensive scheme that made him a rookie phenom, so far he's no more than an average DB in regard to the more pedetrian assignments and duties of an NFL safety.

If interested, here's the post from yesterday:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123534-good-scouting-micro-management/

Boo this man!!!

And your point is? That's what is supposed to happen when your #1 has rolled coverage his way all game. You have other guys step up!!

No, he just gets open and creates YAC like Andre Reed used to. But hell, why would you want a guy that just gets open, when you can have a guy with all the measurable like Heyward-Beh.

Edited by stony

I think you're nuts. Johnson may not turn into a Pro Bowl WR, but I think 9 TDs on the season and multiple good games says a lot about him and his future. I've seen him make tougher catches than Evans over the course of this season. He seems to be pretty strong on the short routes and I can't remember more than 3 drops throughotu this year.

This was exactly the subject of my (ignored) post from yesterday. How is it they find these gems in the later rounds and as FA walk-ons, but totally whiff on what should be the lowest risk pick that come in the early rounds of the draft.

My question is, do Ralph and the bean counters make the final decisions on the high dollar players, and only let the boys in the offices at One Bills Drive decide the FA scrubs and lower round guys.

BTW - I might even be inclined to add 2nd rounder Byrd to the list of potential busts. Time will tell. In spite of his 2009 ball-hawking skills in Perry's defensive scheme that made him a rookie phenom, so far he's no more than an average DB in regard to the more pedetrian assignments and duties of an NFL safety.

If interested, here's the post from yesterday:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123534-good-scouting-micro-management/

I'm sorry but how does this make any sense at all? You're implying that they bring in accountants and Ralph to make the picks on the players at the top of the draft because of the money involved!? So he let's the guys who don't know anythingabout football make the big money decisions? That's like saying Warren Buffett let's his interns qualify and sign off on his big-ticket deals while he only does the small ones. What sense does this make? I mean at least the theory that DJ made those higher picks (or had a lot of input) makes sense.

All I care about is production, and he does it. Period. There's no argument about that. There have been WRs on the other side of Evans that haven't done this well.

I agree!!! (I hope you're serious. I have been afraid to say this for fear of being attacked mercilessly.)

But the Bills are great at drafting in the late rounds.

Just put a TBD poll in charge of Rounds 1 and 2, where there is a crapload of easily accessible information about the Top 50 players in the draft.

Then have whoever keeps pulling out these late round picks continue.

We'd have Ngata, Orakpo, and have taken the SD trade last year for #9 and picked up some more talent at LB and O-Line

My theory is rather simple, the early draftees are selected by the head honchos of the moment and based on an interview with a Bills scout (can't remember his name) they get more of a stronger voice on later picks.

I think the scout was the one that recommended Moats last year, damn, can't remember the guy name, I tried to find a scout list on the official site but I can't find one.

It's clear where to point fingers with TD and Nix drafts. It becomes less clear with the Brandon, Levy & Jauron Era.

All I know is that I don't want to even entertain the notion of not having Lee and Stevie on the field together. Anyone that wants either one of them gone does not care about the team winning, but probably more about about winning a BS argument with some other moron. We have enough dead weight on this team to get rid of, can we just be happy that our offense is evolving this year, and in no small thanks to our receiving corps?

Stevie is NOT having fluke games. he credits TO and josh reed for grooming him, and the one invaluable tool stevie has is the ability to find open field. ill take that as a foundation for a receiver anyday. i read in bills digest that just under 75% of his catches are for first downs. wes welker has made a career out of doing exactly that

I'm really getting tired of the "playing from behind" logic. If you are playing from a 2 possession deficit, teams EXPECT you to pass more, thus success passing the ball is more impressive, not less. Furthermore, if passing the ball more frequently unequivocally translated into greater success passing the ball, teams would never run the ball. Obviously this is not the case. Your logical fallacy pretty much invalidates your opinion, in my opinion.

All I know is that I don't want to even entertain the notion of not having Lee and Stevie on the field together. Anyone that wants either one of them gone does not care about the team winning, but probably more about about winning a BS argument with some other moron. We have enough dead weight on this team to get rid of, can we just be happy that our offense is evolving this year, and in no small thanks to our receiving corps?

I think Stevie and Lee compliment each other well. But it is a very valid argument that we could be getting much more value out of Lee's $9 million salary, and that is what people are talking about when they suggest trading Lee. If for instance we were only paying Lee $3 or $4 million per season, he would be among the most valuable players in the NFL, but he will never be among the best players in the NFL, and honestly I don't foresee him ever topping 1000 yards in a season again. When he was successful he was an unknown quantity. Teams have now realized that he can be rendered utterly ineffective by a double team, and he can be completely taken out of a game by a single elite defensive back, because he lacks the size and ability to dictate to anyone. That being said, Lee Evans is a guy who can make someone pay for a mistake in a big way, and there is value in that. But the bottom line is that he is not dynamic enough or consistent enough to warrant such a salary.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

Believe me, I am just as thrilled as anyone about the production of Stevie Johnson, I just dont think its permanent. He is at the right place at the right time, with a new offense that has not been figured out yet. Next year we will all be sitting here wondering what happened to the Stevie J "from last year". We had our wide out tandem last year. Owens and Evans showed real promise in a horrible Dick Jauron offense let mainly by TRENT EDWARDS! I love Stevie Johnson as much as any other Bills fan. I love what he stands for, and I love what he has done this year. Lastly, I would love nothing more than to be dead wrong about him, and for him to go on to be a pro bowl caliber guy for the rest of his career. I just cant see it happening. He strikes me as a Brandon Lloyd type of guy. A guy who is putting up numbers right now due to a situation, but not a long term solution. I hope I am wrong

Believe me, I am just as thrilled as anyone about the production of Stevie Johnson, I just dont think its permanent. He is at the right place at the right time, with a new offense that has not been figured out yet. Next year we will all be sitting here wondering what happened to the Stevie J "from last year". We had our wide out tandem last year. Owens and Evans showed real promise in a horrible Dick Jauron offense let mainly by TRENT EDWARDS! I love Stevie Johnson as much as any other Bills fan. I love what he stands for, and I love what he has done this year. Lastly, I would love nothing more than to be dead wrong about him, and for him to go on to be a pro bowl caliber guy for the rest of his career. I just cant see it happening. He strikes me as a Brandon Lloyd type of guy. A guy who is putting up numbers right now due to a situation, but not a long term solution. I hope I am wrong

You think that was "real promise?" If that was good, then why are you crapping on what him and Lee are doing now. Plus, TO got most of his numbers when Fitz was named starter.

The Brandon Lloyd comparison is a bit off too.

Also, I don't understand how you can say the new offense will be figured out sooner or later. Peyton Manning has been running the same scheme for a decade now, it still works. Offenses evolve and offer room for adjustments when a defense figures them out during the course of a game. One dimensional offenses are the one's you might be referring too. This is not one of those, as Gailey has proven over the course of the past month or so his commitment to all phases of the game.

Edited by stony

Who cares who is #1 or #2? I just want production from our WR's and we are finally getting it. All the people that are calling for Lee Evans to be traded are just clearly showing how little they know about football.

THANK YOU!

That is basically the clif notes of my rant! :thumbsup:

Yes what was I thinking? Gailey is an offensive powerhouse who was fired before the season even started in Kansas City, and showed nothing but mediocracy at Georgia Tech. Coach Gailey would have had a tough time getting an offensive coordinator job this season, let alone a head coaching job anywhere else but Buffalo. Please don't ever reference Peyton Manning again when comparing him to ANYTHING concerning Buffalo Bills football. He is the best quarterback to ever play. Lastly, call me crazy for thinking Terrell Owens is a better wide out than Stevie Johnson. He has only put up consistent numbers for 15 seasons. I have to say I am just not one of those people who believes that Fitzpatrick, Stevie Johnson, Shawn Nelson, and our offensive line has what it takes to be a good NFL offense on a week to week basis. Before the Cincinnati offensive explosion, the Bills had scored over 20 points in just 3 out of their 9 games. This team has more problems than a lack of pass rush. THEY NEED A QUARTERBACK! And when that happens, is this QB going to be as Stevie Johnson happy as Fitz is? I somehow don't believe it.

Yes what was I thinking? Gailey is an offensive powerhouse who was fired before the season even started in Kansas City, and showed nothing but mediocracy at Georgia Tech. Coach Gailey would have had a tough time getting an offensive coordinator job this season, let alone a head coaching job anywhere else but Buffalo. Please don't ever reference Peyton Manning again when comparing him to ANYTHING concerning Buffalo Bills football. He is the best quarterback to ever play. Lastly, call me crazy for thinking Terrell Owens is a better wide out than Stevie Johnson. He has only put up consistent numbers for 15 seasons. I have to say I am just not one of those people who believes that Fitzpatrick, Stevie Johnson, Shawn Nelson, and our offensive line has what it takes to be a good NFL offense on a week to week basis. Before the Cincinnati offensive explosion, the Bills had scored over 20 points in just 3 out of their 9 games. This team has more problems than a lack of pass rush. THEY NEED A QUARTERBACK! And when that happens, is this QB going to be as Stevie Johnson happy as Fitz is? I somehow don't believe it.

Get your head out of your you know what and open your eyes. Our offense has been clicking for the past 4 or 5 weeks. Appreciate something for once.

<...>

Hear, hear! WR are like Polygamy Ale "Why Have Just One?". With Evans, Johnson, and Parrish, looks as though we finally might have a good trio.

For depth let Jones and Nelson battle it out, and let's see what Easley has to offer.

I agree, take the trade talk and put a sock in it, trading away our talent is NOT how to get where we're wanting to go

You described Andree Reed there basically. Not great size, speed or athleticism. But some guys are just gamers.

Now is Stevie going to be the next Reed, who knows. but his numbers this year make an optimist Billieve!

Yes what was I thinking? Gailey is an offensive powerhouse who was fired before the season even started in Kansas City, and showed nothing but mediocracy at Georgia Tech. Coach Gailey would have had a tough time getting an offensive coordinator job this season, let alone a head coaching job anywhere else but Buffalo.

THE top coaching candidate last year, and who is inarguably THE top coaching candidate this coming year, has publicly stated that Chan Gailey would be his offensive coordinator if he took the job, and recommended Gailey to the Bills as the head coach when he declined the job.

I think Stevie and Lee compliment each other well. But it is a very valid argument that we could be getting much more value out of Lee's $9 million salary, and that is what people are talking about when they suggest trading Lee. If for instance we were only paying Lee $3 or $4 million per season, he would be among the most valuable players in the NFL, but he will never be among the best players in the NFL, and honestly I don't foresee him ever topping 1000 yards in a season again. When he was successful he was an unknown quantity. Teams have now realized that he can be rendered utterly ineffective by a double team, and he can be completely taken out of a game by a single elite defensive back, because he lacks the size and ability to dictate to anyone. That being said, Lee Evans is a guy who can make someone pay for a mistake in a big way, and there is value in that. But the bottom line is that he is not dynamic enough or consistent enough to warrant such a salary.

I get it now, when Lee is double Fitz should still throw it his way when Stevie is running free in the middle of the field. Good offenses don't force the ball into coverage, we obviously have a QB who see's the high percentage throw and goes for it. As far as money goes, I could care less what they pay Lee as long as he is on the field. I am a season ticket holder and his salary doesn't make it unaffordable. Besides the desire to make an argument for argument's sake, how has Lee's salary actually affected you?

Ever heard of run after the catch? Probably not since we haven't had someone that can do it until now. He gets the ball and gets up field for first downs.. 37 of them now!

He's also made more than a fair number of solid grabs. He's stepped up his after the catch production in a big way of late. Overall, he's shown to be a good solid receiver. While Evans may get the doubles, Johnson has also beaten a fair number of decent CB's and that doesn't appear to be just luck or a "15 minutes of fame" thing either. If the way he's been playing hasn't brought a Bills fan into his camp, or prompted some respect, then......................

He's also made more than a fair number of solid grabs. He's stepped up his after the catch production in a big way of late. Overall, he's shown to be a good solid receiver. While Evans may get the doubles, Johnson has also beaten a fair number of decent CB's and that doesn't appear to be just luck or a "15 minutes of fame" thing either. If the way he's been playing hasn't brought a Bills fan into his camp, or prompted some respect, then......................

One has to believe that teams started paying more attention to Steve, what with all the receptions and TD's he's had. It would be interesting to see what he does without Evans opposite him, but I don't necessarily want to find out.

I get it now, when Lee is double Fitz should still throw it his way when Stevie is running free in the middle of the field. Good offenses don't force the ball into coverage, we obviously have a QB who see's the high percentage throw and goes for it. As far as money goes, I could care less what they pay Lee as long as he is on the field. I am a season ticket holder and his salary doesn't make it unaffordable. Besides the desire to make an argument for argument's sake, how has Lee's salary actually affected you?

Your argument here is very inane, and you completely missed the point of my post. I'm just wondering if you are actually suggesting that Lee Evans is a good value? Or are you the one simply arguing for argument's sake?

My thing with Nelson is he seems to struggle blocking. We need a TE who can "do it all".

Yes, we need an entire roster full of players who can "do it all." I wonder why the Bills don't realize that....

Your argument here is very inane, and you completely missed the point of my post. I'm just wondering if you are actually suggesting that Lee Evans is a good value? Or are you the one simply arguing for argument's sake?

Yes, we need an entire roster full of players who can "do it all." I wonder why the Bills don't realize that....

First off, there is no cap this year so what does it matter? Second, are you shelling out the $9 mil for his salary? If you don't understand what Lee Evans does for our offense, then you don't understand the basic concepts of an incredibly team oriented sport such as football.