Merriman Injury

RalphOP83

If this is true its too bad, but certainly not the end of the world. There was no downside to giving him a try. I do not understand what people are complaining about relative to this signing. I mean, really, whats your point? Are the Bills spending your money? So Buddy Nix takes a $1.7 mil gamble on a player who if healthy could be a big help. Worst case, they are no worse off than before. Best case, he does recover and becomes a major contributor. I would not write off the Bills ability to resign him either, assuming he does recover, but even then so what? How are they worse off than before.

Not saying I don't believe you heard this news from somebody, but any type of tear occurring in the achilles could put a person out for much longer than 6-8 weeks. If it is a tear in the achilles he's done for almost a year if not more. This coaching staff seemed to make it seem like it wasn't major. I could be wrong though

It was worth the gamble. If he doesn't play, the worst case, then the gamble doesn't pay off and the impact to the team is nothing. If he recovers and does play, he might improve the LB core a bit. There must be much more than 1.7 mil wasted by at least 10 other things that have happened recently.

Not saying I don't believe you heard this news from somebody, but any type of tear occurring in the achilles could put a person out for much longer than 6-8 weeks. If it is a tear in the achilles he's done for almost a year if not more. This coaching staff seemed to make it seem like it wasn't major. I could be wrong though

I gotta agree with this. I actually have a partial tear of my left achilles right now and it's about as frustrating of an injury as you can have. It feels fine most times, you can do the bike, stairs, walk... but as soon as you try to run on it or do any sort of explosive movement (i.e. Merriman practicing for the first time) you realize that it is not right. It is the definition of a nagging injury that just won't heal without significant rest. Shawne is out for the season if it's an achilles.

Funny thing is, if this was any other Bills player not named Merriman, Chan/Nix would have been placed him on season-ending IR by now. It seems to be a trend nowadays - if you have any injury that's going to take over 4 weeks to recover, you are placed on the IR.

Maybe the Bills did pick him up just to get the comp pic for him leaving during the offseason. Thing is, at this rate, he's not going to get his big payday. No team would be that stupid (except maybe the Bills, they like to pay for trash).

I have a few inside sources that tell me merriman has a partial tear in the achilles that will put him out for 6-8 weeks. I'm not going to reveal my sources but I will say that its not a friend of a friend of a friend.

Sounds like worse case scenario.

Oh Well, Ralphie spent 2 mil and took a chance. Its not like you have to worry about the cap.

No harm no foul.

There was ZERO risk in picking up Merriman other then Ralph is out a little money. We are out nothing by him being busted up after 2 practices.

As long as it's not your money there is zero risk. Paying a guy to sit in a whirlpool is not smart.

This was a waste of time and money for an insignificant player whose time has passed.

Probably because it makes sense given the facts that we do know.

And also, given Merriman's past, it would not be the slightest surpirse. Really, would anyone in their right mind be surprised to hear that Merriman will be out 6-8 weeks?

We should just cut him and give his roster spot to a player we want to develop. He's obviously finished. I really wonder if this was a Russ Brandon get-butts-into-seats move.

Like Chan Gailey calling Merriman's injury minor?

Or like "out indefinitely". Any of this sound like he will be on the field anytime soon to you?

Didn't think so.

Coach Chan Gailey announced Thursday that Merriman will not play against Detroit (2-6) this weekend, and is out indefinitely after aggravating an injury to his right Achilles tendon in his first practice a day earlier.

The injury occurred early into Merriman's first practice with the winless Bills (0-8), a week after he was claimed off waivers from San Diego. The injury is also to the same tendon that's been bothering him for much of the past year.

"It's short-term more than long-term, but we'll just wait and see," Gailey said. "We'll see what happens next week, or it might be the next, I don't know. We're going to get him well. That's the most important thing. Let's get him well before we put him on the field."

ESPN Story

Whether or not anyone on this board believes my info really means nothing to me. I have posted around 60-70 times so that makes me a "rookie." I have been reading this board for around 5 years, but I do not post regularly because I do not feel like dealing with the cynics that are the majority on this board.

I have a pretty good pipeline of Bills info, and I share it sparingly. Another tidbit, from what I understand Roscoe's injury was a dislocation in the wrist of some kind, not a break.

So let me get up to speed in this thread. This is a "We spend money too frivolously" thread? Not a "Ralph is too cheap to take a small chance on a player who was once a sack machine" thread?

:wallbash:

EVEN IF the "anonymous source" is correct, how can you fault Buddy and Co. for trying to bring in a once great player who he was familiar with? Especially since it was to help on D?!?

They're trying to make smart moves. This was a smart, low risk signing. Can't control injuries, it happens. And we'll see what happens from here, since none of us know the real situation.

if thats the case then they should waive him

He passed the Bills physical then was injured in practice.

I think you can't waive someone that was injured while under contract. You have to do what the chargers did or reach an injury settlement like with Mitchell.

Maybe he settles for cheap because he knows he scammed the Bills. If the settle for a million or less it would seem likely.

Whoever did the physical needs to have their medical licenses checked if this news is true, its seems suspicious, that he was game worthy one day than a few minutes into practice his previously injured achilles to the point that he is done for the season.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood