Cordaro Howard

yungmack

I apologize. You guys are right. There was someone else wearing a Bills uniform and playing RT yesterday. My mistake. O, and he didn’t fall on his face, he was pan caking the turf! And what dominating blocks they were…. I mean, why should I have a realistic attitude anyways, we did win the game after all, and are a lock to make the playoffs for the 10th time in 10 years. Forgive me, for when I went back to my new fancy DVR and re watched the first half, I didn’t see the exact things I was talking about earlier – my mistake!

Now on a serious note, Im sorry if I call a spade a spade, but sometimes the truth hurts. You guys probably think “hey Fitz did well and Corado didn’t give up a sack, he must of played well” Well that’s where stats don’t tell the whole story. The fact is that he was beaten many times yesterday, go back and see for yourself if you have the ability, because you wont have to watch much more than the 1st Q to see what I am talking about. Did he play better than Green? Sure, but all you have to do is be the 2nd worst T in the NFL to play better than Green. He didn’t give up a sack, and it didn’t affect the offense as a whole much, but that doesn’t mean he played well in his 1 v 1 matchups.

Edited by Thoner7

I apologize. You guys are right. There was someone else wearing a Bills uniform and playing RT yesterday. My mistake. O, and he didn’t fall on his face, he was pan caking the turf! And what dominating blocks they were…. I mean, why should I have a realistic attitude anyways, we did win the game after all, and are a lock to make the playoffs for the 10th time in 10 years. Forgive me, for when I went back to my new fancy DVR and re watched the first half, I didn’t see the exact things I was talking about earlier – my mistake!

Now on a serious note, Im sorry if I call a spade a spade, but sometimes the truth hurts. You guys probably think “hey Fitz did well and Corado didn’t give up a sack, he must of played well” Well that’s where stats don’t tell the whole story. The fact is that he was beaten many times yesterday, go back and see for yourself if you have the ability, because you wont have to watch much more than the 1st Q to see what I am talking about. Did he play better than Green? Sure, but all you have to do is be the 2nd worst T in the NFL to play better than Green. He didn’t give up a sack, and it didn’t affect the offense as a whole much, but that doesn’t mean he played well in his 1 v 1 matchups.

Take a few tylenol and get some rest. It helps.

FWIW... Bill says the the difference at RT was huge. I don't need to rewatch anything; Bill would tell us if Howard sucked balls. (Plus I watched the game too, and I wasn't drinking heavily.)

We now have offensive coaches who can adjust to the personnel on the field. They knew they had a rookie making his first start against a very aggressive D and they constructed a game plan to minimize the risk - ran mostly up the middle or left, alot of quick slant type passes. Baltimore had a very interesting formation that they used in alot of 3rd down situations - 3 man line but DEs both lined up very wide with a LB and DB right next to them so there were 3 out wide on each side with the NT in the middle. The OL had to adjust to which of the 3 on each side came on the rush, and the line handled it quite well.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

I missed the first few minutes of the game so I didn't see the starting lineup. I'm glad this thread was made. Yeah, it was almost 100% improvement for the offensive line. Fitz had all sorts of time the entire game. Jackson and Spiller were able to run the ball very well. They really improved by leaps and bounds during the bye. I have to imagine this guy Howard starts the rest of the season barring injury. They played a great game.

We didn't hear much about the Line yesterday which is always a good thing. I was amazed at how well they were able to execute the blitz pickups. There were so many times when i was like oh Sh**, Fitz is about to get killed and then all of a sudden the ball was out of his hands.

If you include the down/time of the play, people can check to confirm whether or not you are making things up.

I didn't observe Howard getting beaten but 4 or 5 times during the game, which isn't too bad. Certainly better than I'd have expected him to play against that rush, for sure.

But, I didn't go back and watch it. I suppose it is possible that he was being abused, but nobody is going to believe what you say until you provide some detail/send some clips, etc.

And the sack was for zero yards, mostly as Ray Lewis got to Ryan Fitzpatrick after he decided to scramble, but before he quite crossed the line of scrimmage. That wasn't on the line.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Spiller that missed Ray coming through causing Fitz to scramble..? Hammering your point that it was not the lines fault, and by no means am I slamming Spiller, just saying he missed one..All in all though I agree the line was very good considering the talent they were playing against..I think it was there best performance of the year, even the run game was not that bad..But I don't have stats to back up the run game, just going by memory...( didn't seem too bad ).

Idk boys I think we have an offense for the first time in 6 years

too bad we no longer have a defense

Who does the o-line analysis, where they break down the number of plays, etc.? I think it's in a poster's blog. That's the take I'd enjoy reading.

www.buffalorumblings.com

he has actually been pointing out through his rating system that for the most part the only player not playing acceptably well on the line has been Green who has been terrible. So I'm not surprised that Howard playing well resulted in the whole line looking better.

I didn't focus on Cordero individually yesterday so I can't say how he played. After listening to Gailey's PC from today he said Cordero held his own but didn't grade out that well, so I'd say you're correct in your assessments Thoner. Howard seemed pretty decent when he played at the guard position, hopefully he can adjust more to playing tackle and be reasonably solid there. At least yesterday he wasn't a blaring liability like Green.

I watched Corodo a lot today. He was terrible. He was torched on almost every pass play where I focused on him (5-7). He was routinely face down on the ground after whiffing on his man. Fitz made this line look good today by being able to find open receivers instantly. I dont think he held the ball for maore than 2 seconds all day. If he had, he would have been getting crushed from the right side.

- I read everyone else comments and everyone else seems to think he was amazing. From my experience most fans dont pay attention to the details while watching - like how everyone was blaming switching to the 3-4 as why our D stunk, when in reality we rarely ran the 3-4 at all. The Jax game Kelsay played OLB in a 4-3 the entire game. 2 weeks later, some article came out about the team switching to the 4-3, and everyone was all up in arms. My point is no one really watches, so take others comments with a grain of salt. Howard played very poorly.

I thought you were smoking crack when I read this so I had to go back and check myself. I watched Howard on a few plays, and he seemed OK.

#1 - You were dead on about Fitz. I knew when I was watching him that he got rid of the ball very fast, but I didn't realize how fast. Incredibly, he did only take about 2 seconds to throw the ball yesterday. A lot of times, the ball was actually out before two seconds. Even on deep balls, he threw it in about two seconds. You talk about one hell of game by Fitz, that was simply amazing when you go back and watch him play.

#2 - It was almost hard to grade Howard because of how quick Fitz threw the ball. Howard seemed to get stood up at times and started to get pushed around just a bit when this happened to him. Somewhat similar to how Levitre played at the beginning of last year. If you are going to take a positive from his game yesterday, you could say a couple of things. Even when stood up a few times, he has enough strength to hold his own IF he learns better technique. He also was able to get enough of the DE's on numerous occasions to push the pass rusher off the edge and away from the pocket so to speak. His downsides were that, to me, he looked extremely unathletic out there and that's where he got exposed and beat. Overall though, for what he is, he showed both signs of being OK and being poor. Pretty much what you would expect from a Rook playing against one of the best D's in football. We'll see how he develops.

I watched Corodo a lot today. He was terrible. He was torched on almost every pass play where I focused on him (5-7). He was routinely face down on the ground after whiffing on his man. Fitz made this line look good today by being able to find open receivers instantly. I dont think he held the ball for maore than 2 seconds all day. If he had, he would have been getting crushed from the right side.

- I read everyone else comments and everyone else seems to think he was amazing. From my experience most fans dont pay attention to the details while watching - like how everyone was blaming switching to the 3-4 as why our D stunk, when in reality we rarely ran the 3-4 at all. The Jax game Kelsay played OLB in a 4-3 the entire game. 2 weeks later, some article came out about the team switching to the 4-3, and everyone was all up in arms. My point is no one really watches, so take others comments with a grain of salt. Howard played very poorly.

Hi. I recorded the game sunday and I watched it live and then the tape. After I read your posting I went back and watched Howard. Now I only have the broadcast not the overhead view, but I saw a tackle playing good ball. He pushed rushers around the pocket and pushed defenders up field on running plays sometimes making two blocks on running plays, one at the line and another downfield. I didn't see him on his face once, so I must of missed that. What time in what quarter was it? On the last field goal drive he was beat on a pass play and almost took a defenders head off but that penalty wasn't called but should have been, and mostly Ryan got the ball out very quickly so the tackle didn't have time to come around the corner. All in all I thought a very workman like job for the rookie.

I was unable to watch the game and was wondering how Howard did.

The line did well but I think that Gailey called a great game that took advantage of Baltimore's rush. Fitz identified the one on one coverage even before the snap so that he took a short drop and *zip*, the ball was gone. We even exectued some quick slants, a play you have to have against a defense like that. The line wasn't asked to hold off that rush for very long. Credit Gailey for coming up with a game plan that didn't ask too much of our weak line, Fitz for executing it as well as he did and the line for doing what they were asked to do and then some.

I think in the future, now that we have shown that we can take advantage of a gambling defense, we should see less of it and more of 2 deep coverage. That will ease the pressure on the line somewhat but make it a lot harder for Fitz to find an open man.

What the line really did well on was not getting blown up at the snap or missing an assignment so that a guy gets in untouched. Even on a quick slant, as fast as the QB gets rid of the ball, a blown assignment will shut down the play. We have had that happen over and over, guys coming in unblocked from the outside and the interior guys barely slowing a guy down.

Execept for the win, and thats a big "except", there was a lot to be happy about with regard to the line.

We will all miss Cornell Green, I'm sure. Gailey will have to tell him "hold back the tears little soldier, we'll always have Paris."

The line did well but I think that Gailey called a great game that took advantage of Baltimore's rush. Fitz identified the one on one coverage even before the snap so that he took a short drop and *zip*, the ball was gone. We even exectued some quick slants, a play you have to have against a defense like that. The line wasn't asked to hold off that rush for very long. Credit Gailey for coming up with a game plan that didn't ask too much of our weak line, Fitz for executing it as well as he did and the line for doing what they were asked to do and then some.

I think in the future, now that we have shown that we can take advantage of a gambling defense, we should see less of it and more of 2 deep coverage. That will ease the pressure on the line somewhat but make it a lot harder for Fitz to find an open man.

What the line really did well on was not getting blown up at the snap or missing an assignment so that a guy gets in untouched. Even on a quick slant, as fast as the QB gets rid of the ball, a blown assignment will shut down the play. We have had that happen over and over, guys coming in unblocked from the outside and the interior guys barely slowing a guy down.

Execept for the win, and thats a big "except", there was a lot to be happy about with regard to the line.

We will all miss Cornell Green, I'm sure. Gailey will have to tell him "hold back the tears little soldier, we'll always have Paris."

While a lot of people think that Cordero Howard is the answer, there is a new G-Tech prospect to keep an eye on: what hath Gailey "Wrotto"?

In his first game he did not do a single toreador impersonation.

That's about on a par with a new Bills HC winning his first game.

It doesn't happen much. Give him time - what else do we have?

He could improve. Or, we could petition the FO to cut his ass now and play without a RT the rest of the year.

Hey, Error Maybe isn't doing anything. No? Well then, let's just sit back and grouse.

yea ok,is that you mouse? you have to be joking the line played great and cordero being a rookie against that defense was outstanding. where do you coach any way just wondering for us idiots who cant see the game like you do.

give me a break and get real. it was the best game by far of the year for the whole O/L and they all played with no substitutions they are young,talented and only need time to jell and expirance playing w/each other.

Christ even suggs commented and gave the bills props after the game saying that no 2 running backs ever did what jackson and spiller did to them sunday and they didnt do it without good line play.

i'm sorry but its you mouse who is clueless here with this beautiful post.

I don't know what the !@#$ game you were watching, but apparently you were the only one watching it. Seriously, stop trying so hard to be a miserable jerk. You're going out of your way to complain---- there's plenty to be upset about in this game and with this Bills team, but Cordero Howard yesterday sure as hell wassn't one of them.

right on our young line is very tallented and our guards are going to be stars,our center is very good and like galiey said bell is a incredible athlete and only needs to get healthy and gain more expirance and sunday was also his best game..

cordero was thrown to the dogs and held up very well and this guy has a B word with our o/line,he just makes himself sound like a complete fool.

by the way mouse every lineman gets beat every game even the great ones,your a joke man.

A lot of people thought Jamon Meredith was the answer too.

And Gailey canned him. This is a guy they know, and know what he's capable of, otherwise he wouldn't be here. It's a prediction, so we'll see...

I didn't focus on Cordero individually yesterday so I can't say how he played. After listening to Gailey's PC from today he said Cordero held his own but didn't grade out that well, so I'd say you're correct in your assessments Thoner. Howard seemed pretty decent when he played at the guard position, hopefully he can adjust more to playing tackle and be reasonably solid there. At least yesterday he wasn't a blaring liability like Green.

Thank you for not calling me an idiot.

I thought you were smoking crack when I read this so I had to go back and check myself. I watched Howard on a few plays, and he seemed OK.

#1 - You were dead on about Fitz. I knew when I was watching him that he got rid of the ball very fast, but I didn't realize how fast. Incredibly, he did only take about 2 seconds to throw the ball yesterday. A lot of times, the ball was actually out before two seconds. Even on deep balls, he threw it in about two seconds. You talk about one hell of game by Fitz, that was simply amazing when you go back and watch him play.

#2 - It was almost hard to grade Howard because of how quick Fitz threw the ball. Howard seemed to get stood up at times and started to get pushed around just a bit when this happened to him. Somewhat similar to how Levitre played at the beginning of last year. If you are going to take a positive from his game yesterday, you could say a couple of things. Even when stood up a few times, he has enough strength to hold his own IF he learns better technique. He also was able to get enough of the DE's on numerous occasions to push the pass rusher off the edge and away from the pocket so to speak. His downsides were that, to me, he looked extremely unathletic out there and that's where he got exposed and beat. Overall though, for what he is, he showed both signs of being OK and being poor. Pretty much what you would expect from a Rook playing against one of the best D's in football. We'll see how he develops.

The Line formed a nice pocket but only had to hold them up bc of how great Fitz played. This helped the hole line not just Howard.

Hi. I recorded the game sunday and I watched it live and then the tape. After I read your posting I went back and watched Howard. Now I only have the broadcast not the overhead view, but I saw a tackle playing good ball. He pushed rushers around the pocket and pushed defenders up field on running plays sometimes making two blocks on running plays, one at the line and another downfield. I didn't see him on his face once, so I must of missed that. What time in what quarter was it? On the last field goal drive he was beat on a pass play and almost took a defenders head off but that penalty wasn't called but should have been, and mostly Ryan got the ball out very quickly so the tackle didn't have time to come around the corner. All in all I thought a very workman like job for the rookie.

I saw it twice on the first or second drive of the game. Right now I am watchign the game on NFL replay, which doesnt show every play, but the play that ends at 8:14 in the 3rd he ends up face down while trying to block suggs. 9:40 or so in the 4th he gives up the edge very fast on a slant pass to Johnson. Doesnt fall over but he gets pretty off balence. with 3:20 left in the 4th he got blown up on a run play that resulted in a 1 yr loss. He handled Suggs until about 1:10 left in the 4rth when he whiffed on him. Same with 40 seconds left. Whiffs bad again with about 20 seconds left. However, he also had some good blocks on Suggs in between there.

Howard played pretty strong but he just was overmatched in space. In the NFL he is more like a G than a T. I could see him being a G for this team and moving Hangman to backup duty if we ever get a quality set of Ts. People are just acting like he dominated when he was routinely exposed - maybe its because of how much worse Green was.

Edited by Thoner7

Thank you for not calling me an idiot.

The Line formed a nice pocket but only had to hold them up bc of how great Fitz played. This helped the hole line not just Howard.

I saw it twice on the first or second drive of the game. Right now I am watchign the game on NFL replay, which doesnt show every play, but the play that ends at 8:14 in the 3rd he ends up face down while trying to block suggs. 9:40 or so in the 4th he gives up the edge very fast on a slant pass to Johnson. Doesnt fall over but he gets pretty off balence. with 3:20 left in the 4th he got blown up on a run play that resulted in a 1 yr loss. He handled Suggs until about 1:10 left in the 4rth when he whiffed on him. Same with 40 seconds left. Whiffs bad again with about 20 seconds left. However, he also had some good blocks on Suggs in between there.

Howard played pretty strong but he just was overmatched in space. In the NFL he is more like a G than a T. I could see him being a G for this team and moving Hangman to backup duty if we ever get a quality set of Ts. People are just acting like he dominated when he was routinely exposed - maybe its because of how much worse Green was.

Considering Suggs is an all-pro DE/LB and Howard is an UDFA rookie, the fact that he held up at all and didn't commit any penalties, playing in a hostile environment, is pretty impressive. Certainly not a finished product, but worth something.

Finally watched the NFL Replay version of the game and have to say that Howard looked pretty darn good, certainly a huge upgrade over Green. Overall, the O line looked very good all day long, not a small thing when playing the Ravens. Seems to me that if the defense was even moderately good, this would have been a win.

One thing I noticed about the defense is that, though they gave up quite a bit of yards on the run plays, it was really the miserable pass coverage that killed them. Or, rather, the apparent lack of coverage. The secondary guys were often playing so far off the receivers that all they had to do was stop, turn and catch the ball time after time.

I don't know if it was the abbreviated coverage of Replay, but it looked to me like the Bills were playing to tie rather than to win on the last drive of regulation.

All in all, the Bills looked like a decent team for a change. Not great, but not an embarrassment either. I guess that's progress.

And Gailey canned him. This is a guy they know, and know what he's capable of, otherwise he wouldn't be here. It's a prediction, so we'll see...

Meredith was too small and too underpowered to be a RT or G and too slow footed to be a LT.

I do like Howard, but I don't think he is the long-term answer. Of course, he can always get better and that would be a good thing. He's smart, tenacious, has pretty good feet, decent functional power, and is the most experienced starting OL in Gailey's offense on the team. Announcements of his impending greatness are premature, however.

According to PFT i think it was he didn't do very good at all -- but i think seeing as he didn't have 4 or 5 penalties & a number of hurries or sacks from that side of the line i would say it was a definite upgrade from the down hill line man that is Green !!! :sick:

OK I went back and did some film study on Cordaro.

Honestly.....This was more about Fitzies ability to read and get the ball out of there then great blocking by Cordaro.....he DID do better than Cornel Green....but not so much so that you would say he is the long term answer at RT.

He also got some blocking help to that side.

Bell was very good....and if the ball was held longer his man would not have gotten there like Cordaro's would have.

Huge credit needs to go to the interior OL players....because the DT's for the Ravens are friggen beasts.

You admittedly watch him for 7 snaps and declare his performance poor? I have only read half of your post, but I declare it to be lackluster and written dim-wittedly. I DID watch him for most of the game when I rewatched the whole game and he performed very well. Considering it was his first start and he was playing against a great D who was blitzing like crazy, I would say he did amazing. He has the tools to start for us at LT.

Meredith was too small and too underpowered to be a RT or G and too slow footed to be a LT.

I do like Howard, but I don't think he is the long-term answer. Of course, he can always get better and that would be a good thing. He's smart, tenacious, has pretty good feet, decent functional power, and is the most experienced starting OL in Gailey's offense on the team. Announcements of his impending greatness are premature, however.

i think Howard is better suited for guard, which is why I'm placing my bet on Wrotto. I did a little reading up on this guy, interesting prospect. Former DT who converted to RT midway through college. In fact, he has more experience too.

I am starting to like the depth of the OL. A bunch of big nasty guys in Wrotto, Urbik and Howard (not sure about Wang yet). As Gailey says, "it's a tough game for tough people."

Now I just watch the game in slow motion! I didn't see him on his face once! He gave up two pressures in the fourth! Other than that he played a sound and solid game! I don't even give a dam what chan said, I WATCHED IT! He did a hellave job! And just for the record, he blocked #95 for majority of the game!