Bills - Ravens agree on deal for Gaither?

The Ravens are apparently comfortable that they can replace Jared Gaither at the right tackle position after former first round pick Michael Oher officially was named the Ravens right tackle on Friday.

Exactly!! Wasn't Oher named the Left Tackle???

I think that's known as a typo.

Do they have a reliable source? Who knows. But I wouldn't judge the value of the report based on that typo.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787

If the Gaither deal goes through and I'm praying it does all of the sudden we have an experienced LT anchoring an O-line that despite what many folks think could turn out to be one of the Bills strengths this season.

I am not sure what a "pollyanna sunshine pumper" is,

People who sugar coat every move the organization does, refuses to question any decision the organization makes, and chooses to ignore reality when reality proves the decision/move wrong.

• These people continued to believe ( and some may still do) Jauron was a good/great coach
  • Getting rid of Jason Peters and replacing him with a slow footed adequate RT or an second year project player was a great idea
  • Running the no huddle offense would "help" the Bills young inexperienced OL despite people like Jim Kelly and Peyton Manning saying you needed an experienced OL to run the No Huddle
  • Believing that Trent Edwards was capable of calling his own plays because he would not be bogged down by the inept coaching staff, failing to realize of course, the only coaching Trent had at the NFL level was by the same inept coaching staff
  • Believe picking a project player at the 11th overall spot is/was a good/great idea despite needing immediate help at various positions
  • Believing a single player (TO) was the cure to all offensive woes
  • Believing marketing played no part in acquiring TO (the marketing was just a "bonus")
  • In general, cannot tolerate any "negative" post regarding the team (negative being a broad definition, but basically anything they disagree with)

Do any of those sound like you?

but it does sound like the opposite of negative. I consider myself a positive person and distance myself from overly negative people. but I , for one, ain't going nowhere. There's only a handfull of you overly negaitive and pessimistic ones on this board. Maybe YOU GUYS should go start your own doom and gloom site and leave this one to the glass half full guys.

There it is again. The "negative" people need to be restricted.

I stopped reading after the first line when the author said they agreed in "principal". Hard to put too much stock in a website with shoddy grammar.

That made me laugh too.

Edit: Does this web site have a history of being credible? I'm pleading ignorance on this one

How does a draft grade change based on a player signed in Free Agency? A draft is graded by the quality of players, not whether they fill a perceived need by an internet message board. This trade would highlight the incredible stupidity of trying to grade a draft by need because the team may have information not available to fans on a message board or the less informed staff of ESPN.

Grading the draft is stupid period, especially when none of the players have ever played a game in the NFL.

I think the point he is making is that MAYBE Nix passes on an OT in the draft because he was working the Gaither trade and MAYBE that allowed him to focus on other areas of need.

So, if we do pick up Gaither (or any other experienced LT) then that improves the overall body of work done in the off season and it adds more credibility to the draft and the postions they addressed in it.

We are told that Gaither's agent Drew Rosenhaus wants to market him as a top 5 left tackle and wants the money in that order. "The Ravens are not slowing this process but the Agent is not making this easy" is what our source has told The Bills Beat. Gaither is scheduled to make $2.396 million this season. The current market for a top five offensive tackle is close to $8,000,000 million per season.

I only have one thing to say about this...

OMG.....his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Eek! :beer:

You slimed me. (Remember Ghostbusters?)

Donahoe got owned by Rosenhaus on the McGahee deal. I can't see Buddy playing that game. He will look elsewhere if Drew is unreasonable.

I don't think a second is a bad deal. If Nix and Co. think he's got talent and they can keep him motivated or whatever (who knows maybe he'll have a chip on his shoulder due to being replaced then traded) then why not? If their plan is to draft a franchise QB next year why not solidify LT now and try and get the starting five a season together before throwing a rookie in there or Levi Brown at QB? Not to mention it could only help Spiller..... He can't be that bad the Ravens dominated the Pats in that playoff game.....

You slimed me. (Remember Ghostbusters?)

Donahoe got owned by Rosenhaus on the McGahee deal. I can't see Buddy playing that game. He will look elsewhere if Drew is unreasonable.

Agreed. Buddy will just move on if Rosenhaus plays hardball...

A little CYA, perhaps, on the agreement being imminent?

http://www.thebillsbeat.com/Buffalo_Bills_...aspx?article=41

Ayup.

And therein is their "out".

Now they can pretend like a deal was coming, but blame it on the agent when it falls through. Listen everyone, they clearly just made up the rumor in the first place, this is the normal procedure to cover up their butts when it doesn't happen.

Gaither is not coming to Buffalo. He may get traded, but it wont be here.

People who sugar coat every move the organization does, refuses to question any decision the organization makes, and chooses to ignore reality when reality proves the decision/move wrong.

• These people continued to believe ( and some may still do) Jauron was a good/great coach
  • Getting rid of Jason Peters and replacing him with a slow footed adequate RT or an second year project player was a great idea
  • Running the no huddle offense would "help" the Bills young inexperienced OL despite people like Jim Kelly and Peyton Manning saying you needed an experienced OL to run the No Huddle
  • Believing that Trent Edwards was capable of calling his own plays because he would not be bogged down by the inept coaching staff, failing to realize of course, the only coaching Trent had at the NFL level was by the same inept coaching staff
  • Believe picking a project player at the 11th overall spot is/was a good/great idea despite needing immediate help at various positions
  • Believing marketing played no part in acquiring TO (the marketing was just a "bonus")
  • In general, cannot tolerate any "negative" post regarding the team (negative being a broad definition, but basically anything they disagree with)

I agree with some of your points but hindsight is 20/20. The Bills are guilty of mistakes and misfortune, we all get it.

The negative posts aren't what annoy people so much. It's the constant rehashing of mistakes made by prior FOs and mindless assumptions that this team will never do anything right.

The mark of an intelligent critic is someone who has opinions on both sides of the fence. It's hard to take anyone's opinion serious if they are all one way or the other.

If I had to choose, I'd take the rose colored glasses fan. At least this brand of fan is bringing up fresh points and new thoughts. The eternal negative fan is usually boring and painfully repetitive. It's bad enough that the Bills haven't been a winner in quite some time but having to listen to all of the know it all whiners, makes the experience twice as bad.

Actually, this type of person is a pain in the ass in all aspects of life. They look for any platform to complain, belittle, prop self up, and remove hope.

Can anybody tell me why this thread is necessary, when there is a 14 page Gaither thread with 260+ posts? I'm not sure if there is anything substantively different in this thread's subject that it should be split off and not keep things in one place.

I'm not saying we HAVE TO have a single "Official Gaither Trade Thread", but look around before starting a thread and see if there is somewhere else that might make more sense. I would sure see this "fwiw" OP could have gone on page 14 of that original thread pretty easily.

I think the point he is making is that MAYBE Nix passes on an OT in the draft because he was working the Gaither trade and MAYBE that allowed him to focus on other areas of need.

So, if we do pick up Gaither (or any other experienced LT) then that improves the overall body of work done in the off season and it adds more credibility to the draft and the postions they addressed in it.

Yes, I understood his point and that point is stupid. Trading for a player is not part of the NFL draft.

Nope. None of them sound like me at all. except for maybe getting rid of peters. He was a greedy, unappreciative player that hurt his team by his actions and got everything he deserved(being traded) and though I don't like that they stuck someone in his spot that shouldn't have been there, and eventually bell, i completely agree getting rid of peters was the right thing to do.

I can handle negative posts, it's just the people that NEVER have anything good to say that irritate me. Maybe I shouldn't include you in this group, but from what I can recall, i don't hear too many positive things that you say. If the OVERLY negative/pessimistic people could just occasionly lighten up a bit and say something positive and not be so rude with what they say(like-whoever thinks this is a clown, or an idiot, or stfu all the time). I come to this site cuz i love the Bills and I like to hear what's going on and hear the different view points, but not to hear my team get repeatedly bashed to death and never hear any good things from certain people. I am guilty of wanting the "overly negative" ones restricted. It's really no different than you saying the sugarcoaters will have a place to go, just opposite cuz I want to the negative ones a place to go.

I don't know, Push The Pile said it better than me.

TheBillsBeat.Com - SOURCE: Gaither deal "..all in Russ's hands now" http://ow.ly/17jFeo

Wouldn't it be in Nix's hands now??? Brandon is the CEO, but is removed from football operations, you would think its Nix and Overdorf. Just killing the message, not the messanger...

Ayup.

And therein is their "out".

Now they can pretend like a deal was coming, but blame it on the agent when it falls through. Listen everyone, they clearly just made up the rumor in the first place, this is the normal procedure to cover up their butts when it doesn't happen.

Gaither is not coming to Buffalo. He may get traded, but it wont be here.

Not what I read at all."One thing is for certain, if Bills GM Buddy Nix denies their interest and moreover that the deal with the Ravens was not agreed to in principal we have the goods to let people know that he isn't being straight with the fans.

Getting Gaither would be a huge boost to the prospects to whomever starts at quarterback this upcoming season.t what I read at all."

'Jimmy' is daring Nix with a 'Mack' truck to dispute this, as he claims he'll counter the comment, naming names.

Anyway, make the contract incentive loaded and let's get it done.

What exactly is his "much worse track record of being a malcontent and slacker"? Ozzie Newsome and Jim Harbaugh saying they don't like his effort and work ethic after they picked a LT prospect to replace him in the draft? How does that compare AT ALL to a guy holding out until absolutely the last minute and then giving a half-hearted effort the rest of an entire season, all after the team had already renegotiated his deal (a deal he signed) once already?

Well, nobody around here gave a half-hearted effort, so your comparison is to air. Peters on the other hand started very slow as you'd expect from a guy who missed training camp and by the end of the year was once again dominant, so dominant that he was voted to the Pro Bowl, not by the fans, but by the players.

Nobody except cranky little attention-seeking board posters has ever accused Peters of not giving complete effort ON THE FIELD in his time in Buffalo. You will not see a single quote from any player about that, even after he left the team, and that's what makes it impressive.

Bottom line, Gaither and Peters are both elite LTs. Gaither didn't play as well as Peters through the first five games (but nobody else did either), but after Peters sprained his ankle but played through it for the benefit of the team, his ranking dropped off precipitately. Gaither played 6th best in the league.

Just check profootballfocus.com

Guest dog14787
B-)

PLEASE BELIEVE US! WE WERE RIGHT! ITS ALL THE BILLS FAULT! ITS NOT LIKE WE JUST MADE IT UP!

Oh man, that site is hilarious.

:thumbsup:

IN PRINCPLE !!!! That's the main phrase :o until he signs on the dotted line it's all just speculation :doh: !! Just like we were going to sell he farm in this draft to get Teabow ;) or we were going to take Bulaga 1st round :thumbsup: or Clausen was our guy :lol: !! Don't believe everything you read to be truth B-) !! just relax and have a beer :beer: !!

I LOVE EMOTICONS :wub: !!!

Nobody except cranky little attention-seeking board posters has ever accused Peters of not giving complete effort ON THE FIELD in his time in Buffalo.

This man is speaking the truth here. Preach on brother. It's only since he has been in Philly that his teammates bemoan his effort on the field.

typical Bills fans reaction - though

run a bonafide proBowl LT out of town, but welcome a lesser talent who has a much worse track record of being a malcontent and slacker

how exactly did Bills fans run Peters out of town? the guy didnt want to be in Buffalo and wanted yet another new deal that he simply wasnt worth

Peters proved how overrated he is with his play in Philly this year

you need to get a clue

Didn't the Eagles give us a first and sixth for our "greedy and lazy" pro bowl LT last year? If we get Peter's replacent for a 2nd, then we made out in the deal. Especially if we sign Gaither to a lesser contract than JP got.

Except for the fact that the team didn't have a capable LOT on the roster last season, saved big dollars by trading the one guy who filled that role, and had an OL which surrendered 46 sacks, although that's a subjective stat sometimes. 2nd round picks are valuable, in that they don't need big dollars like firsts do, and you can find talent there.

Wouldn't it be in Nix's hands now??? Brandon is the CEO, but is removed from football operations, you would think its Nix and Overdorf. Just killing the message, not the messanger...

Brandon is Nix' boss. He is the conduit Wilson/Littman to the actual football people who'll make the recommendation. Nix does not have the authority to trade for a guy who will demand 40M+ over the next 4-5 years, with probably 20M guaranteed. That's a huge financial decision, and one that will need to be pitched to the bean counter Littman.

I really hope this happens and happens soon. Gaither would need to get in their and learn the system, along with all the players.

i love when people are so worried about players learning the system

its freakin May and the majority of the team hasnt even started to learn "the system" yet

its their job to learn the system, people make it out like they have to learn Chinese in 2 weeks

Be careful what you wish for. Lately, Maryland has been churning out lazy bastards... far from filling their potential... Vernon Davis, Darius Heyward-Bay, Jared Gaither, and now Bruce Campbell.

The Bills FO is smarter than this.... I hope.

do you even watch football? im guessing no

Vernon Davis had a monster year last year for a team with questionable QBs

how has Bruce Campbell been far from filling his potential when he hasnt even played in an NFL game yet?

Darius Heyward-Bay plays for the Raiders and had Jamarcus Russel at QB to start his career

Jared Gaither is regarded as one of the better LTs in the league and has played on a line that is also regarded as one of the better lines in the league

get a clue

do you even watch football? im guessing no

Vernon Davis had a monster year last year for a team with questionable QBs

how has Bruce Campbell been far from filling his potential when he hasnt even played in an NFL game yet?

Darius Heyward-Bay plays for the Raiders and had Jamarcus Russel at QB to start his career

Jared Gaither is regarded as one of the better LTs in the league and has played on a line that is also regarded as one of the better lines in the league

get a clue

I wont jump in the discussion of these other players, though I did read in the local (baltimore) press that there were concerns about Gather's work ethic, which was why they drafted a replacemnt and were shopping him, for what it's worth. That said I wont claim a solid LT with a work ethic question isn't still and upgrade given the current state of the line.

2nd round pick is too high to give up for him.

Ridiculous. I'm so sick of asinine comments like this one. The draft is just one of 3 ways to add someone to your team- 1) Free Agency 2) Trades 3) The Draft. Rookies are unproven commodities, but we get so excited about them because we hope somehow they can become all pros at their position.

Gaither is a pro bowler. At best, our second rd draft pick would be the 33rd ROOKIE taken next year. Your position is that Gaither, who has proven he can be a dominant left tackle, is worth less then the OPPORTUNITY to draft the 33rd best player available in the draft? Gaither has shown he can be a top 8 tackle in this league. There is no guarantee that ANY of the tackles available next year could be that good, let alone one taken in the 2nd round.

Dubious at best, but what the Hell, there's not a lot going on let's play. What does the Board think of the reported price tag for Gaither?

He isn't even on the practice field. He's nursing a sore foot. He missed part of last season with a sore foot. If the Bills pull the trigger on this trade it will be one more example of how they get fleeced by other teams.