Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Picking a RB minus an OL is the same as taking DB's without a front 7. They make plays based on the people in front of them. Obviously Spiller can do some things, but he'll be wasted behind perhaps the worst OL in the NFL.

so what you are saying is that the only way to get a good offensive line was to pick the 3rd best tackle at number 9 in the 2010 draft and if not it becomes the worst in the NFL? :thumbsup:

So Bulaga, Dan Williams, and Clausen are all still there at #18. One of them will necessarily fall into the 20s. Some room for trading up, but the other teams seem to be agreeing that those guys weren't top 10 picks either.

Picking a RB minus an OL is the same as taking DB's without a front 7. They make plays based on the people in front of them. Obviously Spiller can do some things, but he'll be wasted behind perhaps the worst OL in the NFL.

Funny that Freddy average 4.5 YPC behind that "worst OL in the NFL" last year, which should be significantly better this year, barring more injuries.

Adrian Peterson didn't win a playoff game till they got a QB in there.

Johnson hasn't done anything in the playoffs either.

They're not "wrong" picks because both teams were in far better shape than the Bills when they picked them. But the idea that you need a superstar RB to win a super bowl is OLD SCHOOL THINKING. You don't. In fact, recent history shows you can get equal production (if not more) by using a RB by committe approach with lesser paid players.

That's the whole !@#$ing point.

He didn't "win" a playoff game? Dude, that is so wrong. They got to the playoffs with him in 2008, which I'd be thrilled with at this point. Individuals don't win or lose playoff games, btw. Also, I didn't realize that the Bills just passed on the equivalent of Brett Favre.

I see that you conspicuously ignored LT, who came to a 1-15 team.

No, 2018 was my sarcastic response to the post I was quoting saying 3-5 years before competing and another 3 before contending. I think that you draft top talent for their overall contribution over the next five years (including the first and second year), and Spiller is a great pick for that. You can't look out as far as the person I was quoting keeps insisting.

I like spiller over the next five years a lot and think he has a legitimate argument for BPA which is always my first choice.

Right, BPA IMO. I have no problem with the pick and hope he does sell tickets. With 4.37/40 speed, his guy can score at any time.

For the people crying about this pick

Agility Tests

Campus: 4.37 in the 40-yard dash … 1.48 10-yard dash … 2.53 20-yard dash … 4.18 20-yard shuttle … 6.86 three-cone drill … 35-inch vertical jump … 10'1" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 18 times … 30 1/2-inch arm length … 10 1/8-inch hands.

Funny that Freddy average 4.5 YPC behind that "worst OL in the NFL" last year, which should be significantly better this year, barring more injuries.

So then the second coming of Barry Sanders should be able to pull off what? 6 a carry?

On the 10 or so carries he gets a game as a "hybrid" player?

So Bulaga, Dan Williams, and Clausen are all still there at #18. One of them will necessarily fall into the 20s. Some room for trading up, but the other teams seem to be agreeing that those guys weren't top 10 picks either.

Their fall validates the Bills passing on them. Arguably whether they should have taken LT Davis will need to be borne-out by how he plays, but the way he conducted himself these past few months was pretty poor.

What's your point? We have a good starting RB, so let's draft another one?

Your point is exactly why so many of us are upset. We have Freddie who's a very capable RB. We have Lynch who's a very capable RB. We don't need another RB. We need a LT, a DT, a QB. So, why pick someone at one of the few positions we actually have a little depth? Then you see the Bills say they like him in this Bush/gadget roll? Come on man.

Because you CAN become a contender in one year, it doesnt always take 3-5. The fact is, and always is, it doesnt matter when you pick positions, we suck on the lines not because our first or second or third or fourth or fifth or sixth round OL and DL and QB picks were in the wrong rounds, it was the wrong players for a decade straight. We have drafted and signed crappy players and the ones who werent crappy were poorly coached into severe sucktitude. Great, good, decent, fair, crappy and complete bust players are found in all rounds. We need to choose great and good football players in all rounds, not good first round tackles.

I think Spiller is an awesome talent and will be a threat in the run and pass game, and probably keeps us from needing to draft a WR right away too.

Great post! :worthy:

I guess it can be looked at as drafting a RB/WR/KR/PR. Not bad for a pick, JMO

so what you are saying is that the only way to get a good offensive line was to pick the 3rd best tackle at number 9 in the 2010 draft and if not it becomes the worst in the NFL? :thumbsup:

:worthy: :worthy:

What he said. :worthy:

He didn't "win" a playoff game? Dude, that is so wrong. They got to the playoffs with him in 2008, which I'd be thrilled with at this point. Individuals don't win or lose playoff games, btw. Also, I didn't realize that the Bills just passed on the equivalent of Brett Favre.

I see that you conspicuously ignored LT, who came to a 1-15 team.

Um ... they didn't win a playoff game until Favre got there. Sorry, that's not wrong, it's a fact.

And I didn't say they passed on Favre. But the point is that you need a QB to win in this league. A RB alone can't do it. And by taking a RB over any other number of players that could fill the HUGE HOLES on the roster, it's a disaster.

It was obvious that if the Bills passed on Clausen he's was going to drop as no other team below us "need" a QB. Williams is falling in part because Denver and Miami traded down. Bulaga am a little surprised at but perhaps the reports of him being a RT might have some merit yet Oher fell to pick 23 last year and showed to be a pretty good RT.

Jackson runs between the tackles, and usually finds contact quickly. He has to earn his yards.

Spiller has to bounce it outside, only this isn't the ACC and he doesn't have the OT's to move out there for him.

THis isn't the ACC anymore.

Yeah. Fisher also already had an OL, DL and what he believed to be their franchise QB in place.

Not a good example. Sorry.

Terrible example. They were far from having a QB. Vince Young started as their 3rd stringer this year. They're line looked great because Chris Johnson was incredible.

Terrible example. They were far from having a QB. Vince Young started as their 3rd stringer this year. They're line looked great because Chris Johnson was incredible.

The point isn't whether Young is or isn't the answer. The point is at the time they took Johnson they thought he was. So there wasn't a need at QB.

And their line is 10x better than the Bills.

I'll root like hell for Spiller and the Bills. But this is a huge red flag that this team is not in good hands.

No, it signals that when you get a chance to take a franchise type player, you take him, regardless of what position he plays or how much you needs him. Good luck to whatever LB draws coverage on a wheel route...

You don't pass on a player you think will be a pro bowler year after year to pick a player who will simply be good.