Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Levy-Jauron started off by reaching for a player while Nix-Gailey drafted the BPA. I don't see any comparison.

Pretty much. Spiller doesn't fill a hole that they created, nor is he a guy they "need" to fit some new scheme the coach has a woody for (despite it making no sense at RWS), nor is he a guy that is a tweetin' leader. He is a stud player and they took him. Now they have the option of putting Marshawn on the trading block to see what they can get for the pothead.

They need to fix the lines still (of course) and a variety of other things, but that's always the case when you're bad.

Levy-Jauron started off by reaching for a player while Nix-Gailey drafted the BPA. I don't see any comparison.

And completely ignored gaping needs at OT and NT. This is a passing league, as the cliche goes, and RB's aren't winning leagues. QB's are, or a strong defense paired with an efficient diversified offense. Buffalo has neither, and it'll be funny watching Spiller caught in the backfield for a loss because they have no NFL caliber OT's on the roster.

Spiller sells tickets.

Been a tough decade (or two) as a Bills fan. I understand your depression and lack of optimism or excitement. I cannot blame you. But I am glad you are not running the show. Thinking about the big picture and not the need is great, but planning to be bad for 3-5 years and planning on who you need 6-8 years out (3-5 + 3) is pretty funny. If you are thinking that far out then you take BPA at EVERY pick EVERY time. Who do you have graded higher than Spiller?

Again not my favorite pick, but I think in 2015 when you are starting to turn your TV back on we will be pretty happy with it and glad we have him and not Bulaga.

And if we are looking that far out, we can pick QB next year, sit him another year, and let him play in 2012 and still have six years to mature into your 2018 champion you are drafting for.

I was with you up until the part about 2018...yeah it might take that long, but I sure hope not. Ralph's lease might be up by then...

Chris Johnson...

Some people here need to make up their minds. Was it the coaching or the players? Maybe new coaches get more out of the current crop? If it was the players - why was everyone crying over Jauron?

They selected an impact player for a scheme that has yet to be revealed. Let them show their cards before you condemn them.

Too late. I've tried to be patient in my disgust for the "direction" this team has taken this offseason. But, now I'm cetain, Nix et al., have no clue what this team needs to contend. They've underwhelmed with every decision they've made this offseason. And no matter, how much potential this kid may have, how can he ever realize it playing on a team that refuses to fix their problems?

Maybe they'll pull some rabbits out of their hats with the later rounds. But, absolutely nothing has been shown to prove that they might.

I laugh at the ineptitude.

Buddy Nix's first pick when he went to San Diego? LaDanian Tomlinson...thought that was inept too?

Spiller=Chris Johnson...dude is a game breaker....

I doubt you will be laughing when he is ripping off 85 yard TD runs and leaving CB's in his wake...

Some Linkys about Spiller;

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p...amp;nid=1760917

Ht: 5-10 Wt: 185 40: 4.4

Position: RB

Date of Birth: 08/15/1987

Year: Class of 2006

High School: Union County HS

(Lake Butler, FL)

College: Clemson

2006 Scout.com HS Football Rankings (full list):

Pos: RB Pos Rank: #4 Pos Rating:

Scout.com Player Evaluation:

C.J. Spiller is the definition of explosive. He has good patience in traffic, but when he sees an opening, he explodes through it. He plays the game very unselfishly and will lead block and pass protect in addition to his duties carrying the ball. He is a weapon on special teams as a return man.

Biography:

The 5-foot-11 and 185 pound standout rushed for 1,415 yards and 20 touchdowns as a junior. The North Florida junior, who had the best 40-yard dash time at any of the Scout.com Combines last spring as a sophomore also ran the fastest time of any Junior at the Scout.com Combines. He averaged 11.6 yards a carry.

Final senior season stats: Union County High School capped off their season on Nov. 18 in the first round of state playoffs against Trinity Catholic (Ocala). The Union County Fighting Tigers lost 20-31. "I know I had over 1,800 yards rushing this year on 167 carries for 30 touchdowns. And I had about 215 to 225 yards on receiving," said Spiller.

Spiller reports a 3.5 GPA/21 ACT.

Spiller: "I'm fast. I have great speed and vision. I'm really tough too. People compare me to Clinton Portis because I hit the holes hard and can explode like he does," said Spiller. "I want to improve the mental aspects of my game and have better preparation. I also need to get bigger so I can break more tackles and be more physical."

Scout.com Combine Results (full list):

Year: 2005

Height: 5-10

Weight: 184

40-Yard Dash: 4.35

Short Shuttle: 4.75

Vertical Jump: 34.5"

3-Cone: 8.13

Broad Jump: 9-2

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/...ayers/8774.html

C.J. Spiller

RB, Clemson

AP Photo

Overall grade: 8.5

Position rank: 1

Blocking: 17

Durability: 9

Hands/routes: 7

Inside running: 9

Outside running: 1

NFL comparison:

Chris Johnson, Titans

C.J. SPILLER MEASURABLES

Height: 5-10 Weight: 194

40-yard dash: 4.36 10-yard dash: 1.54

20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:

Broad jump: 10-6 225-lb. bench: 18

3-cone drill: Vertical jump:

Wonderlic: 10 20-yard dash: 2.47

War Room analysis

Inside running: Can be a dangerous, but is inconsistent. Is quick to identify a crease and explode into it. Shows the balance, agility and strength to run through arm tackles, but doesn't break many tackles. Is a bit of an upright runner, leaving body susceptible to hard hits. Doesn't lower shoulders to deliver blows to defenders. Is a dangerous cutback runner, showing a sharp "jump cut" to explode through holes. Can freeze defenders in the hole and explode past them. Grade: 7.5

Outside running: Is a threat to score on every touch because of rare athleticism, speed, balance and strength. Is patient waiting for blockers to open a hole or seal the edge. Is an explosive cutback runner. Keeps legs churning, and fights for every yard. Grade: 8.5

Blocking: Lacks experience. Wasn't asked to lead block on any running plays in the games we evaluated. In pass protection, gives a solid effort and shows enough strength to be effective. Must be more aggressive and use better technique. Grade: 5.5

Hands/routes: Is not polished, but has all the tools. Is quick and explosive down the sideline and when aligned in the slot. Shows the quickness, explosiveness and speed to consistently separate from defenders. Shows good hands, and catches the ball well; twists body nicely to adjust to off-target passes. Grade: 6.5

Durability: Is the issue that could keep him from becoming an elite NFL back. Is strong and well built, but had trouble staying healthy in college. Shared the workload until senior season. Grade: 5.5

Bottom line: Spiller surprised us by returning to Clemson for his senior season because players with his rare big-play ability usually jump at the chance to enter the draft. He would've been a first-round pick in '09 but improved his stock as a senior, showing improved inside running and receiving skills. Spiller gets personnel men excited because he has all the tools to be an NFL star, someone who makes big plays from a variety of alignments.

Career statistics

Rushing Receiving

Team Att. Yds. Avg. TD Att./TD Rec. Yds. Avg. TD

'06 Clemson 129 960 7.4 10 12.9 19 210 11.1 2

'07 Clemson 145 809 5.6 3 48.3 34 271 8.0 2

'08 Clemson 116 668 5.8 7 16.6 34 436 12.8 3

'09 Clemson 216 1271 5.9 12 18.0 36 503 14.0 4

Totals 606 3708 6.1 32 18.9 123 1420 11.5 11

http://www.thefootballcube.com/players/spilc001.shtml

C.J. Spiller

Born: - Place: Height: Weight:

College: Clemson High School:

Drafted:

Passing Statistics

Year Team Age G GS Comp Att Pct Yards Yds/G Att/G TD Int Long 1st 20+ 40+ Sacks QBR

2008 Clemson NCAA - 12 1 1 100.0 15 1.2 15.0 1 0 15 -- -- -- -- 556

Rushing Statistics

Year Team Age G GS Att Yards Avg Yds TD Att/G Yds/G Long 20+ 40+ Fum Stuff Yds Lost

2008 Clemson NCAA - 12 116 668 5.8 7 9.7 55.7 57 -- -- -- 0 39

2007 Clemson NCAA - 13 145 809 5.6 3 11.2 62.2 83 -- -- -- 0 41

2006 Clemson NCAA - 13 129 960 7.4 10 9.9 73.8 80 -- -- -- 0 22

Receiving Statistics

Year Team Age G GS Rec Yards Yds/Rec TD Yds/G Long YAC Target 20+ 40+ Fum

2008 Clemson NCAA - 12 34 436 12.8 3 36.3 83 0 0 -- -- --

2007 Clemson NCAA - 13 34 271 8.0 2 20.8 68 0 0 -- -- --

2006 Clemson NCAA - 13 19 210 11.1 2 16.2 82 0 0 -- -- --

Return Statistics

Kickoff Returns Punt Returns

Year Team Age G Ret Yards Avg Long TD Ret Yards Avg Long TD

2007 Clemson NCAA - 0 19 547 28.8 90 2 16 137 8.6 38 0

2006 Clemson NCAA - 0 13 234 18.0 25 0 11 33 3.0 16 0

There were plenty of great players left on the board that filled HUGE HOLES on the team. RB is not a hole. And, is the least important position on the football field. That's the point.

Who would like to have seen the Bills select at number 9?

Exactly...And they ran up there with the card too...

Amature hour once again...

Spiller better be the next Barry Sanders...

No he's got to be better than Barry Sanders as last I checked Sanders didn't get too far once his team's made the playoffs.

In 2001, TD used a 2nd round pick on Travis Henry in a misguided and ultimately failed attempt to find an upgrade over Antowain Smith.

In 2003, TD used a first round pick on McGahee in an effort to find an upgrade over Henry.

In 2007, Marv used a first round pick (12th overall) on Lynch to try to find an upgrade for McGahee.

In each of these cases, there was a perfectly acceptable player already at the RB position, and the team had actual needs at other, critical positions. But trying to upgrade the RB position seemed sexy, it seemed like it would provide an immediate impact; and the fact RBs have short careers didn't necessarily seem all that important to GMs who were focused merely on the present.

None of those draft picks worked out. I understand that Spiller is a better talent than the other RBs the Bills have taken; and that there's a chance he'll change games. But this is a rebuilding team; and it makes sense to wait until later to take a short-career RB. Why not take a guy like Clausen, whom Gil Brant rated in the top 10 of players? The Bills need a franchise QB a lot more than an upgrade at RB!! :thumbsup::worthy: :worthy:

Your argument ignores the Titans' drafts over the past few years.

I am commenting before I read any other thoughts and comments. I am stunned as this pick adresses the area of least need on the team. Iknow best pick available blah blah but a RB? Guess he might be the next Thurman but not sure if he can run without any holes in front of him. I have to believe an OT is taken with the next pick.

I was with you up until the part about 2018...yeah it might take that long, but I sure hope not. Ralph's lease might be up by then...

Been a tough 5 decades for some of us...looks like Direct TV gets my $$$$ for another year..

THEY SHOULD HAVE TRADED DOWN!!!

Nuff Said

How could they trade down when they rushed to the podium?

But, we knew these guys were wet behind the gray-haired ears.

Explain to me how my logic is crazy.

Because you CAN become a contender in one year, it doesnt always take 3-5. The fact is, and always is, it doesnt matter when you pick positions, we suck on the lines not because our first or second or third or fourth or fifth or sixth round OL and DL and QB picks were in the wrong rounds, it was the wrong players for a decade straight. We have drafted and signed crappy players and the ones who werent crappy were poorly coached into severe sucktitude. Great, good, decent, fair, crappy and complete bust players are found in all rounds. We need to choose great and good football players in all rounds, not good first round tackles.

I think Spiller is an awesome talent and will be a threat in the run and pass game, and probably keeps us from needing to draft a WR right away too.

I am commenting before I read any other thoughts and comments. I am stunned as this pick adresses the area of least need on the team. Iknow best pick available blah blah but a RB? Guess he might be the next Thurman but not sure if he can run without any holes in front of him. I have to believe an OT is taken with the next pick.

have you ever seen the guy play?

Chris Johnson...

Some people here need to make up their minds. Was it the coaching or the players? Maybe new coaches get more out of the current crop? If it was the players - why was everyone crying over Jauron?

They selected an impact player for a scheme that has yet to be revealed. Let them show their cards before you condemn them.

Chris Johnson got PLENTY of Blocking...And sure Coaching had a lot to do with it...But I seriously doubt Jeff Fisher makes a Pick like Spiller with Lynch and Jackson still on the Roster, and knowing he needs help at LT, NT, QB, WR, and whatever else they need above HB...We'll see if Lynch get delt...If so this Pick is much better...

And just because Jauron, Levy and Modrak sucked at Drafting and Jauron was a crap Coach does not mean Nix, Gailey and Modrak can't suck too...

Just saying... :thumbsup:

Nuff Said

So you think they should've traded down? :thumbsup: