Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Look at what's available if we traded down? A high 2nd Rounder or Two 3rd Rounders? This is sickening. I'd take any of those and a used a later pick on Bulaga or Dan Williams over Spiller.

EXACTLY - Why didn't they wait a few more minutes to listen to offers as opposed to putting their pick right away!!!

Hmmm...while the Demetrius Bell stock is down, he is still a talented project who will now have another year under him (but I don't think will be our starter). I kinda like Wood-Hangartner-Leivitre-Meredith. Remember our injuries, and remember that LT is huge in pass protection, but the other four guys count in the run blocking. Getting a special player is nice. We will see how it works out.

At 9, he'd better be Barry Sanders. Because THAT is what we need. There's NO QB in town. NO WR. A TE that MAY be a threat.

He is sick. Everyone looks like they are in slow motion. Stop comparing him to Reggie Bush. Stop insulting this kid. He's fast, has great hands, and teams will have to plan around him.

It's been a long time since the Bills had anyone that scared anyone.

There was no "reaching" necessary. The Bills could have selected OT, DT, DE or QB and not "reached" given the talent on the board. The Bills just used their first round pick at once of the few spots that didn't need to be addressed - at least not that early. Fred Jackson might have been the best player on the team last year and they draft a top 10 guy to replace him.

Let's tread some more water - been doing it for 10 years now, I guess a few more years won't matter much.

According to whom? Hey, I respect your opinion but we've spent the last several years picking for need and it doesn't work. I agree we have needs at all the positions you mention. But there is ALWAYS one need that supercedes all others, the need for PLAYMAKERS. Our D got one last year in Byrd. Our O gets one this year in Spiller. The kids a homerun threat, can catch the ball as well as TT, and is the fastest back we've picked since OJ, who had world class speed.

If I'm wrong on this guy, I'll gladly eat my crow. But I think we got a real threat on offense for change. Taking nothing away from Jackson but Spiller's speed will add a dimension we've just not seen in a long time.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't watch ACC games so I don't know too much about Spiller, other than he looks awesome in the highlights, and I agree that the Bills need impact players badly, so I'm not too upset.... like to see Lynch traded for a vet OL player now.

Guess it's time for Chan and the O staff to coach up the scrubs that are already on the team.

A SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL WEAPON.

Small. Like we needed to get smaller. SMALL. TINY. With no OL. He'd going to DIE against the defenses in the AFC East. It's a fool's pick by our 90-year old owner and 70- year old GM.

You do realize that he is 5'11 and 200lbs, right? He is not a small man. He has pretty decent size for a RB. Just as a comparison, Fred Jackson is about 6-1, 215. Not much bigger.

Spiller will make plays. Gailey will put him in a position to make plays in space. He will be a game-changer. I am confident Gailey will put a good offense on the field and Spiller will be a big part of it.

PS. On a side note, everyone has to remember that this is a new staff and new front office in many ways. There is going to be some changeover of the talent here. The new staff will want to build the team their way. In the process, they will have to clean up the mess that they don't like. Gonna be a process.

In 2001, TD used a 2nd round pick on Travis Henry in a misguided and ultimately failed attempt to find an upgrade over Antowain Smith.

In 2003, TD used a first round pick on McGahee in an effort to find an upgrade over Henry.

In 2007, Marv used a first round pick (12th overall) on Lynch to try to find an upgrade for McGahee.

In each of these cases, there was a perfectly acceptable player already at the RB position, and the team had actual needs at other, critical positions. But trying to upgrade the RB position seemed sexy, it seemed like it would provide an immediate impact; and the fact RBs have short careers didn't necessarily seem all that important to GMs who were focused merely on the present.

None of those draft picks worked out. I understand that Spiller is a better talent than the other RBs the Bills have taken; and that there's a chance he'll change games. But this is a rebuilding team; and it makes sense to wait until later to take a short-career RB. Why not take a guy like Clausen, whom Gil Brant rated in the top 10 of players? The Bills need a franchise QB a lot more than an upgrade at RB!! :thumbsup::worthy: :worthy:

I'm not saying that I expected the Bills to contend this year (or even next). That's the point. They're 3-5 years away from even contending for the PLAYOFFS. Add another 3 years to contend for a title. That is assuming they build perfectly.

Been a tough decade (or two) as a Bills fan. I understand your depression and lack of optimism or excitement. I cannot blame you. But I am glad you are not running the show. Thinking about the big picture and not the need is great, but planning to be bad for 3-5 years and planning on who you need 6-8 years out (3-5 + 3) is pretty funny. If you are thinking that far out then you take BPA at EVERY pick EVERY time. Who do you have graded higher than Spiller?

Again not my favorite pick, but I think in 2015 when you are starting to turn your TV back on we will be pretty happy with it and glad we have him and not Bulaga.

And if we are looking that far out, we can pick QB next year, sit him another year, and let him play in 2012 and still have six years to mature into your 2018 champion you are drafting for.

At 9, he'd better be Barry Sanders. Because THAT is what we need. There's NO QB in town. NO WR. A TE that MAY be a threat.

Agreed. I have nothing against Spiller, in fact, I think he's going to be a very good player. I just question whether he's that much better than what the Bills already had. Maybe you make a pick like this when you're 10-6 and ascending, but at rock bottom, with holes everywhere except at RB?

I don't absolutely hate the pick...there's a chance he could be a great player, and I'll take that any day, but there's also a better than decent chance that he'll just be a 'very good' player, and we already have that.

Captain Checkdown just jumped 10 ft..His passing yardage went up 75 yards a game ans his average completion has a chance of shooting up there as well..It really is a great pick and maximizes are inept offense..lol..I dont mind it..This franchise has been a joke for years so why not draft the best offensive player in the draft...

Read that out loud and see if it makes sense. Have you EVER seen a RB other than Barry Sanders who didn't need an OL?

How far back in NFL history would you like me to go in pointing out examples of great backs who created their own opportunities?

GO BILLS!!!

I like the pick. "Beast Mode" is dead and Fred Jackson is still a back up. Now the Bills can trade Lynch for more picks to pick up the players that we need. I think this is only the beginning of this draft for the Bills.

Who would like to have seen the Bills select at number 9? They took the best player on their board.

There were plenty of great players left on the board that filled HUGE HOLES on the team. RB is not a hole. And, is the least important position on the football field. That's the point.