Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Maybe they picked him with the intent on trading him, perhaps to Seattle who has another 1st round pick, but they couldn't complete the deal in time. Or they're positioning themselves to tank this year so they have a top 3 pick next year when they'll pick a QB.

Here's the skinny.

This is a huge red flag that the new front office will be just the same as the old. This is a franchise that is treding water. They're run by old football men who don't seem to grasp the concept that the game has changed from a ground based attack to complex, passing schemes where QBs rule.

Spiller may be a stud. But he's a RB meaning he's got a short shelf life (8 years tops). This is a team, with huge holes at QB, OL, DL, LB, and WR (and already TWO RBs ON THE ROSTER) and a brand new offensive and defensive system being installed. That means that it's going to take 2 to 3 years for this team to gel. Add another 2 to 3 years for the QB to be found and groomed ... that means the Bills are going to be contending for a playoff birth in 5 years. When Spiller will be fast approaching the end of his best years.

Awesome work.

You hit the nail on the head. Over-investing in the RB position is a terrible move from a strategic perspective; even if Spiller turns out to be a very good player. How much of an upgrade over Lynch/Jackson does he really provide? And is that upgrade worth neglecting our QB position (Clausen), or some other area of real need? :nana:

:w00t:

Hit the nail on the head. Haven't we learned by now in Bills nation that drafting skill players has produced nothing? Chris Johnson is only good because he's got a real OL blocking for him. TEN's OL is far and away better than Buffalo's.

Nix-Gailey are starting out like Levy-Jauron did. We know how the latter story ended.

Maybe they picked him with the intent on trading him, perhaps to Seattle who has another 1st round pick, but they couldn't complete the deal in time. Or they're positioning themselves to tank this year so they have a top 3 pick next year when they'll pick a QB.

I don't think so because the Bills rushed to the podium to make the pick.

Excellent pick! You can NEVER go wrong taking the BPA when you're a team that needs PLAYMAKERS. This kid is a homerun threat from ANYWHERE and will help us creat matchup problems because he's an excellent receiver.

Taking BPA, especially a playmaker like Spiller, is way better than reaching for a need. Shades of the SD pick when they took LT.

GO BILLS!!!

Spiller is going to be great. Yea, yea...you can find a RB in the later rounds. But you can't find the special players in the later rounds. Gruden has Spiller as the top "sure thing" in this draft. The Bills need a sparkplug for this team. And Gailey and Nix understand what no other Bills fan really gets. Fred Jackson is a good back. He's smart and talented. But he is not the playmaker someone like CJ Spiller is.

I would have been happy with Clausen too, but if you take a QB.....you better be sure he is the right guy. Bills are going to be drafting in the top 10 next year. If they need a QB then, they will take one.

The Bills have so many holes, they might as well take the best player available.

This guy is a better football player than Clausen or Bulaga. Not sure on Anthony Davis. We get all NEED-y here in the peanut gallery, but maybe we could start taking the best football players, and be happy with it. I would rather have had Dan Williams I think and some other guys, but this is not a Whitner over Ngata no brainer, and I think we got a great football player. Let's see what we can get for Marshawn and hope CJ is a Thurman, Faulk type player and we will all be happy. Draft for needs and you end up keeping needs. We need the best five year production and talent out of this spot, and I'm not sure we didn't get it.

the big questions now - 1) will the bills find a partner to get back into the first round, and 2) will lynch be a buffalo bill tomorrow?

(my guesses are yes to #1 and no to #2)

wonder how far bulaga drops?

They go back into the first with a Lynch trade...

Hit the nail on the head. Haven't we learned by now in Bills nation that drafting skill players has produced nothing? Chris Johnson is only good because he's got a real OL blocking for him. TEN's OL is far and away better than Buffalo's.

Nix-Gailey are starting out like Levy-Jauron did. We know how the latter story ended.

Levy-Jauron started off by reaching for a player while Nix-Gailey drafted the BPA. I don't see any comparison.

Here's the skinny.

This is a huge red flag that the new front office will be just the same as the old. This is a franchise that is treding water. They're run by old football men who don't seem to grasp the concept that the game has changed from a ground based attack to complex, passing schemes where QBs rule.

Spiller may be a stud. But he's a RB meaning he's got a short shelf life (8 years tops). This is a team, with huge holes at QB, OL, DL, LB, and WR (and already TWO RBs ON THE ROSTER) and a brand new offensive and defensive system being installed. That means that it's going to take 2 to 3 years for this team to gel. Add another 2 to 3 years for the QB to be found and groomed ... that means the Bills are going to be contending for a playoff birth in 5 years. When Spiller will be past his prime.

Awesome work.

+1 and here's the text from my Dolfan brother in law to mock the Bills and I'll just have to agree with him. The fish are on the way up and the Bills are sinking like a stone.