Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Adrian Peterson didn't win a playoff game till they got a QB in there.

Johnson hasn't done anything in the playoffs either.

They're not "wrong" picks because both teams were in far better shape than the Bills when they picked them. But the idea that you need a superstar RB to win a super bowl is OLD SCHOOL THINKING. You don't. In fact, recent history shows you can get equal production (if not more) by using a RB by committe approach with lesser paid players.

That's the whole !@#$ing point.

What QB was there to pick that would have come in and bring this team to the playoffs? The only one available is a molester, that would have cost a few picks.

Jackson runs between the tackles, and usually finds contact quickly. He has to earn his yards.

Spiller has to bounce it outside, only this isn't the ACC and he doesn't have the OT's to move out there for him.

THis isn't the ACC anymore.

You might want to check where Jackson got most of his yards last year: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=10195

And who says Spiller can't take it between the tackles?

I love this pick. He is the most dangerous offensive player in the draft in my book. C'ya Lynch. By the way, anyone that thinks we were set at RB already is entitled to their opinion, but Lynch and Jackson are just not that good. They are both liabilities on 3rd, between dropped swing passes and whiffing too often on the blitz pickup. The haters are welcome to respond but I am outa here. Go Bills!

: :thumbsup: Totally agree see my post on page 11.

Their fall validates the Bills passing on them. Arguably whether they should have taken LT Davis will need to be borne-out by how he plays, but the way he conducted himself these past few months was pretty poor.

Great point!

Um ... they didn't win a playoff game until Favre got there. Sorry, that's not wrong, it's a fact.

And I didn't say they passed on Favre. But the point is that you need a QB to win in this league. A RB alone can't do it. And by taking a RB over any other number of players that could fill the HUGE HOLES on the roster, it's a disaster.

Um, the point is that individuals don't win or lose games. The Vikes went 10-6 and won the division that year. Still no mention of LT.

Um ... they didn't win a playoff game until Favre got there. Sorry, that's not wrong, it's a fact.

And I didn't say they passed on Favre. But the point is that you need a QB to win in this league. A RB alone can't do it. And by taking a RB over any other number of players that could fill the HUGE HOLES on the roster, it's a disaster.

The Jets went 9-7 with Favre at QB and didn't make the playoffs. The Jets went 9-7 with Sanchez (ROOKIE) at QB and made the playoffs. Should we conclude that Sanchez is a better QB than Favre?

Your theory is broken.

Why don't you give the guy a shot before you totally write him off? This offense was anemic last year and I think the guy can and will make plays.

Because, Lockport, the reality of the situation is that the OL stinks. On ice. He's a RB. RBs are totally dependent on the OL. Do the math.

Honestly---why? What about it excites you?

He can score from anywhere on the field. When was the last time the Bills had a RB you could say that about? He is an insta huge mismatch for any LB in coverage...

Because, Lockport, the reality of the situation is that the OL stinks. On ice. He's a RB. RBs are totally dependent on the OL. Do the math.

Read a few posts up regarding Fred Jackson and his 4.5 YPC last year.

What QB was their to pick that would have come in and bring this team to the playoffs? The only one available is a molester, that would have cost a few picks.

(sigh) ...

Okay, let me say this once more to make it clear.

I am NOT SAYING they should have used the 9th pick on a QB if they didn't have a first round grade on Clausen, Tebow or McCoy.

I'm NOT SAYING they should have used their 9th pick on an OT they had rated 5th or 6th best.

I'm NOT SAYING they should have used their 9th pick on a NT they felt was not worth a first round pick.

I AM saying that RB is the one position where the Bills are STACKED with talent. It's also the one position you don't want to tie up a ton of cap dollars in since it's one of the easiest positions to fill in FA and the lower rounds of the draft.

I AM saying that the people who think RBs are still the most important players on the field are stuck in the 90s, if not 80s. This is a passing league where a good passing game covers for the sins of a weak running game. Look at the past super bowl winners -- how many first round RBs are on those rosters? Bush? Maybe one more. But Bush was (and still is) a joke in the NFL until Drew got to New Orleans.

I AM saying that with huge holes at WR, LB, DL, OL, and QB the Bills could have traded down for MORE picks to fill MORE holes rather than take a RB who they're now saying isn't an every down player. Or, they could have taken any number of the great players available to fill one of their holes.

This is a pick that is designed to sell tickets. And it's already working as the lemmings are all excited already by their new "playmaker". I don't care about playmakers if they don't produce more Wins at the end of the day. And I'm sorry, I don't think Spiller will produce any more wins for the Bills than they could have with Lynch and Jackson as the primary running backs.

That said, I will root like hell to be wrong.

Read a few posts up regarding Fred Jackson and his 4.5 YPC last year.

And read the response to your post. Jackson drags guys doen the field. I doubt the SMALL guy will be doing that.

Is the guy fast? Sure. It just means he'll be quicker to the backs of his OL being pushed backwards by Vince Wilfork.