Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Huh? Spiller was going to be gone within the next several picks, at least gone by 12 (either Miami or SD). I like the fact that the Bills got who they targeted, aside from a couple guys who went in the top-8.

I'm saying Spiller shouldn't have been on their board. Thus, trading back for more picks would have been far better than taking him because he was BPA.

Ah, hope. The last refuge of the Bills fan.

"Well, they tooke the 'best player available.' I'm sure he'll make some really big plays for us!"

You read a lot into my last sentence there. I mean like two sentiments that I didn't express in any way, shape, or form.

But to me, that's when you trade back and get more picks because this draft is far deeper than next year's draft. I think, based on the speed of their pick, Spiller was their man from day one. Which is scary.

Tough to say. I'm pretty sure that Okung and Williams were at the top of their list. As soon as those guys are gone it makes the pick pretty easy if there is no one you know is worthy of #9 at LT, DT or QB, the positions of obvious severe need. I also think that the trade down scenarios probably just didnt appeal to them. Few of the guys that went from 10-20 would we have wanted. If they had Spiller rated that high (he was probably 5-6 overall on their list, they just didnt think a solid #1 and an extra late second or third was as good as a stud #1. I also think it easily could have been a combination of Nix and the scouts liking him, and the new HC Gailey saying "I can manufacture a lot of offense with this kid that I can't do with a RT like Bulaga."

Again, trade back where and take who?

Any of the OL, DL, LB, WRs still available. All of which are far bigger holes than RB.

Think Dez Bryant couldn't be just as big of a playmaker?

I am not claiming to be a draft guru.

Spiller is a talent, that's a given, but I hate the pick. Who wants Marshawn? There's no guarantee the Bills get rid of him. Someone wrote earlier that any leverage the Bills had in a trade is gone, and it's true.

Would much rather have seen an OT.

I honestly feel like Buffalo sports teams have made buffoon out of me during the last two evenings, if I haven't done it already on my own. Hopefully the Sabres don't make it three nights in a row tomorrow.

Any of the OL, DL, LB, WRs still available. All of which are far bigger holes than RB.

Neither am I. But a lot of draft gurus say you draft BPA and not for need. Had the Bills traded back and taken a LT or NT, they would have had to settle for the 3rd best one, and apparently they didn't want to do that (again, we'll see if bypassing Davis was a mistake, but I wasn't a fan, and I wasn't one of Dan Williams either). As for LB'er, this is a weak crop and McClain was arguably the best one, so they would have had to settle for 2nd-best, and I don't even know if any of the other ones were good 3-4 LB'ers. As for Bryant, he hasn't even gone yet.

The guy I wanted, and thought the Bills had a shot at, was Trent Williams. I can't say that Spiller is who I wanted, but I can see him being a good player.

Good thing for you :censored: ,no qb's and no buluga till 23,spiller was the right choice,let it go already.

Like I said...since we have needs everywhere EXCEPT RB, and DB...we are DEFINITELY going to go with Spiller...we never draft needs...so now we have THREE guys that are 1000 yard backs...and NO TACKLES...good job though...way to go Buffalo

Last year our biggest needs were arguably pass rush and OL. In the first two rounds we took a pass rusher, two OL -- that is not drafting for need? And the one guy we drafted who wasnt a need was a Pro Bowl player.

Spiller is a talent, that's a given, but I hate the pick. Who wants Marshawn? There's no guarantee the Bills get rid of him. Someone wrote earlier that any leverage the Bills had in a trade is gone, and it's true.

The Bills have the same amount of leverage with Lynch as before. But they plan on keeping/using him, so it's moot.

Last year our biggest needs were arguably pass rush and OL. In the first two rounds we took a pass rusher, two OL -- that is not drafting for need? And the one guy we drafted who wasnt a need was a Pro Bowl player.

This :censored:

Right as usual, Kelly.

And a lot of people bitched about the Byrd pick as well. You can't go wrong picking PROVEN playmakers. Last year they got one in Byrd, this year they got the best one in Spiller.

GO BILLS!!!