Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Are you 14? "Epic Fail"? Seriously?

You stated that MN needed a QB to make the playoffs yet you conveniently ignore every other team that has made the playoffs with average QB play.

yes because Peyton manning and Drew Brees were average this year :thumbsup: Let alone Farve playing at the level he did at the age of 80

(sigh) ...

Okay, let me say this once more to make it clear.

I am NOT SAYING they should have used the 9th pick on a QB if they didn't have a first round grade on Clausen, Tebow or McCoy.

I'm NOT SAYING they should have used their 9th pick on an OT they had rated 5th or 6th best.

I'm NOT SAYING they should have used their 9th pick on a NT they felt was not worth a first round pick.

I AM saying that RB is the one position where the Bills are STACKED with talent. It's also the one position you don't want to tie up a ton of cap dollars in since it's one of the easiest positions to fill in FA and the lower rounds of the draft.

I AM saying that the people who think RBs are still the most important players on the field are stuck in the 90s, if not 80s. This is a passing league where a good passing game covers for the sins of a weak running game. Look at the past super bowl winners -- how many first round RBs are on those rosters? Bush? Maybe one more. But Bush was (and still is) a joke in the NFL until Drew got to New Orleans.

I AM saying that with huge holes at WR, LB, DL, OL, and QB the Bills could have traded down for MORE picks to fill MORE holes rather than take a RB who they're now saying isn't an every down player. Or, they could have taken any number of the great players available to fill one of their holes.

This is a pick that is designed to sell tickets. And it's already working as the lemmings are all excited already by their new "playmaker". I don't care about playmakers if they don't produce more Wins at the end of the day. And I'm sorry, I don't think Spiller will produce any more wins for the Bills than they could have with Lynch and Jackson as the primary running backs.

That said, I will root like hell to be wrong.

Post of the night!!!

100% agree... :thumbsup:

I love the Spiller pick.

He was BY FAR the best player on the board when we pick- a novel idea right? Well it's an approach the Bills haven't followed in years and why we are a complete mess.

When Butler/Smith and Nix took over the Chargers they were the worst team in the league.

Their first pick? A rinning back-L.T.

Spiller will elevate the play of those around him.

My confidence in Buddy Nix just grew leaps and bounds.He gets it.

Yes some stats (yards/game like you mentioned) can indicate anything you want. Averages are more important. But if we take out that Colts game, which I agree skewed things, he averaged 4.2 YPC, behind the worst OL in football and in an inept offensive scheme.

What's the point? Prioritizing RB in the NFL of 2010 is a backward mentality. RB's aren't winning games for any team in the entire league. Heck, Chris Johnson runs for 2k yards and the team started off 0-8 last season.

Peterson puts up huge numbers, but his team's couldn't get past the first round of the playoffs until Favre showed up and made Sidney Rice a player.

Who else? Pittsburgh won a SB with a below-average running game in 2008. Indianapolis and New Orleans went to the SB with below average to average running games.

Supporting the Spiller pick is like saying Gailey can re-invent offenses in direct contrast with the nearly the rest of the NFL. And he doesn't have an OL either.

Joe. I was hoping for a little more sense with someone who has been posting for so long.

First off, I like Fred Jackson as much as the next guy. But, please, he was NOT dragging people all over the football field. You are making him sound like Brandon Jacobs.

Second off, Bulaga will probably be a decent LT. I don't doubt that. There are some aspects about him that are suspect. But, overall, he is probably a decent player. But, there is a reason why he lasted until 24.

Spiller is absolute dynamite. He gives the Bills a playmaker. Someone who can score from anywhere on the field. When was the last time the Bills had that?

Who gets him the ball? When the QB is on his arse, or there's a DT and a DE in the backfield when he gets the handoff, what good is his speed going to do for him?

He may be a great player. Really. But I've got the weight of 10 years of draft stupidity behind me. So, I think for the time being, I'll be a bit cynical and let this guy earn my respect and support. I've had enough of rationalizing the Bills first rounders away.

Joe. I was hoping for a little more sense with someone who has been posting for so long.

First off, I like Fred Jackson as much as the next guy. But, please, he was NOT dragging people all over the football field. You are making him sound like Brandon Jacobs.

Second off, Bulaga will probably be a decent LT. I don't doubt that. There are some aspects about him that are suspect. But, overall, he is probably a decent player. But, there is a reason why he lasted until 24.

Spiller is absolute dynamite. He gives the Bills a playmaker. Someone who can score from anywhere on the field. When was the last time the Bills had that?

Last time? More like the only time was with OJ Simpson but he didn't do anything his rookie year in part because of our O-line being so horrible.

What's the point? Prioritizing RB in the NFL of 2010 is a backward mentality. RB's aren't winning games for any team in the entire league. Heck, Chris Johnson runs for 2k yards and the team started off 0-8 last season.

Peterson puts up huge numbers, but his team's couldn't get past the first round of the playoffs until Favre showed up and made Sidney Rice a player.

Who else? Pittsburgh won a SB with a below-average running game in 2008. Indianapolis and New Orleans went to the SB with below average to average running games.

Supporting the Spiller pick is like saying Gailey can re-invent offenses in direct contrast with the nearly the rest of the NFL. And he doesn't have an OL either.

Agreed...But when you add in the fact that The Bills had legit Needs in MANY other areas it just compounds the confusion in my mind...So many Teams waiting to Trade up and The Bills RUN up with their card...I just don't get it... :thumbsup:

Honestly? Probably not since OJ. Taking nothing away from TT but he was never a homerun threat with great speed. Nor was Cribbs. You need speed in addition to everything else to be a true threat to score from anywhere on the field. Spiller has it in spades. If he's half the receiver TT or Cribbs were we are in for some GREAT matchup games. Can't wait.

GO BILLS!!!

But the Bills cannot get a talent at QB that would make that kind of difference this year. Unfortunately they are rebuilding yet again this year. You can't get everything all at once, even if they traded back and got picks. They have to start somewhere, and while RB isn't as big as QB, at least now we have a kid with tremendous talent to build on.

But the Bills cannot get a talent at QB that would make that kind of difference this year. Unfortunately they are rebuilding yet again this year. You can't get everything all at once, even if they traded back and got picks. They have to start somewhere, and while RB isn't as big as QB, at least now we have a kid with tremendous talent to build on.

This is about as backward as those school teachers in Springfield, IL protesting for higher taxes because they might lose their jobs.

Are you 14? "Epic Fail"? Seriously?

You stated that MN needed a QB to make the playoffs yet you conveniently ignore every other team that has made the playoffs with average QB play.

The epic fail was to make you laugh, Mike. We're friends! :censored:

I'm not talking about making the playoffs. I'm talking about winning super bowls. You can't win one without a franchise QB in today's league.

I know you probably would have taken Dan Williams at #9, who hasnt gone at 23, would you want to pay a guy who may not be drafted in the first three quarters of the first round tens of millions? I guarantee if Okung or Trent Williams were available we would have taken either of them. The same thing last year, We wanted one of those three LTs but they were gone, and we didnt have Oher rated that high (like most others and it's still a big question mark whether he will play LT).

I told you yesterday, I don't know much about the big men at all in this draft. I'm not a draft gurur at all. I really didn't care who they picked here as long as it wasn't a RB or DB because it flat out makes no sense.