Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Nix on Lynch’s future

By Chris Brown - Posted April 22, 2010 – 7:53 pm

Bills GM Buddy Nix was asked about the future of Marshawn Lynch in light of the selection of C.J. Spiller ninth overall.

“It doesn’t change a thing,” said Nix of Lynch’s status on the roster. “We intend for him to be here. Spiller’s a hybrid.”

The Bills see Spiller as a Reggie Bush or Percy Harvin type player. One that will get his share of touches, but not always via the hand off. More to come on the home page at Buffalobills.com.

Tags: 2010 NFL Draft, C.J. Spiller, Marshawn Lynch

Nix on Spiller

By Chris Brown - Posted April 22, 2010 – 7:48 pm

Buddy Nix said, “There’s only one Spiller” and Buffalo’s GM is happy to have him.

“He’s a playmaker that creates field position and scores points. We need excitement, someone that can make things happen on his own.”

So Spiller will be playing the slash job

RB is the least important position on the football field? I'm unsubscribing from this debate now. That is straight up retarded.

The fact that you don't understand that point is why you don't understand the modern NFL.

Look at all the starting RBs in the league and where they were drafted (if they even were). This is a passing league. You pass to set up the run now, not the other way around. A good passing game makes your running game better and allows you to have lesser (and cheaper) talent at the RB position and still win games. The running game is not unimportant -- but having a "stud" RB is.

That's the point. Your thinking is valid 10 years ago. Not now.

When you put your punter on marketing materials, it's very clear that you need a new face for the franchise. I think they're going with the philosophy that they can find lineman that work hard late, but the Bills unfortunately needed a new poster child.

Plus, I don't recall SD taking a high profile OL when Nix was there.

You hit the nail on the head. Over-investing in the RB position is a terrible move from a strategic perspective; even if Spiller turns out to be a very good player. How much of an upgrade over Lynch/Jackson does he really provide? And is that upgrade worth neglecting our QB position (Clausen), or some other area of real need? :worthy:

:thumbsup:

And don't forget Travis Henry in the 2nd round

How far back in NFL history would you like me to go in pointing out examples of great backs who created their own opportunities?

GO BILLS!!!

Knock yourself out. Payton didn't. Smith didn't. Thomas didn't. Simpson didn't. Tomlinson didn't. Johnson didn't. Name one other than Sanders that did consistently without an OL.

If you can't pass the ball you better have a darn good rushing attack, and Spiller gives us that w/ Jackson. Ballsy pick but i like it! I said over the last few months that Spiller was the most ready of any draftee to step in and be instant impact as a rookie. I still believe that. I livein ACC country and watch him a ton. As long as he stays healthy, he's a gurantee great player....and that's what Buddy Nix wants. No one year wonders. Spiller is the real deal and will give the Bills an electrifying athlete at RB. Good job, now get a LT and a QB.

Nix on Lynch's future

By Chris Brown - Posted April 22, 2010 – 7:53 pm

Bills GM Buddy Nix was asked about the future of Marshawn Lynch in light of the selection of C.J. Spiller ninth overall.

"It doesn't change a thing," said Nix of Lynch's status on the roster. "We intend for him to be here. Spiller's a hybrid."

The Bills see Spiller as a Reggie Bush or Percy Harvin type player. One that will get his share of touches, but not always via the hand off. More to come on the home page at Buffalobills.com.

Tags: 2010 NFL Draft, C.J. Spiller, Marshawn Lynch

Nix on Spiller

By Chris Brown - Posted April 22, 2010 – 7:48 pm

Buddy Nix said, "There's only one Spiller" and Buffalo's GM is happy to have him.

"He's a playmaker that creates field position and scores points. We need excitement, someone that can make things happen on his own."

So Spiller will be playing the slash job

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So the old fool drafted a guy who isn't going to be an every down player? That's just fricking brilliant.

So let me see if I understand this right. You NEED...DESPERATELY NEED a LT, a RT, a QB and a DE and you take...a RB. I got it. It's so retarded it's brilliant.

My thoughts exactly. F grade to Nix on day one.

All you can say is it's a better pick than Maybin was.

Because you CAN become a contender in one year, it doesnt always take 3-5. The fact is, and always is, it doesnt matter when you pick positions, we suck on the lines not because our first or second or third or fourth or fifth or sixth round OL and DL and QB picks were in the wrong rounds, it was the wrong players for a decade straight. We have drafted and signed crappy players and the ones who werent crappy were poorly coached into severe sucktitude. Great, good, decent, fair, crappy and complete bust players are found in all rounds. We need to choose great and good football players in all rounds, not good first round tackles.

I think Spiller is an awesome talent and will be a threat in the run and pass game, and probably keeps us from needing to draft a WR right away too.

Great post.

I love this pick. He is the most dangerous offensive player in the draft in my book. C'ya Lynch. By the way, anyone that thinks we were set at RB already is entitled to their opinion, but Lynch and Jackson are just not that good. They are both liabilities on 3rd, between dropped swing passes and whiffing too often on the blitz pickup. The haters are welcome to respond but I am outa here. Go Bills!

If you can't pass the ball you better have a darn good rushing attack, and Spiller gives us that w/ Jackson. Ballsy pick but i like it! I said over the last few months that Spiller was the most ready of any draftee to step in and be instant impact as a rookie. I still believe that. I livein ACC country and watch him a ton. As long as he stays healthy, he's a gurantee great player....and that's what Buddy Nix wants. No one year wonders. Spiller is the real deal and will give the Bills an electrifying athlete at RB. Good job, now get a LT and a QB.

It is funny to watch the almost panic because the Bills took Spiller...relax, they will get an OT and a DT.

If lynch is not traded he will likely become more of a blocking back.

Chris Johnson got PLENTY of Blocking...And sure Coaching had a lot to do with it...But I seriously doubt Jeff Fisher makes a Pick like Spiller with Lynch and Jackson still on the Roster, and knowing he needs help at LT, NT, QB, WR, and whatever else they need above HB...We'll see if Lynch get delt...If so this Pick is much better...

And just because Jauron, Levy and Modrak sucked at Drafting and Jauron was a crap Coach does not mean Nix, Gailey and Modrak can't suck too...

Just saying... :thumbsup:

Fisher and Tenn picked Johnson after using second round picks on LenDale White and Chris Henry