Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

Because, Lockport, the reality of the situation is that the OL stinks. On ice. He's a RB. RBs are totally dependent on the OL. Do the math.

Whatever. You are probably one of those fans who would have been pissed no matter who they took. Who did you want at that pick?

I AM saying that RB is the one position where the Bills are STACKED with talent. It's also the one position you don't want to tie up a ton of cap dollars in since it's one of the easiest positions to fill in FA and the lower rounds of the draft.

Which salary cap are you talking about?

Because, Lockport, the reality of the situation is that the OL stinks. On ice. He's a RB. RBs are totally dependent on the OL. Do the math.

You don't need a great OL for Spiller to be successful. He's not Marshawn and doesn't need HUGE holes. Flare him, throw to him in the flat or run him on a quick slant and you've caused a MASSIVE mismatch. He'll do the rest.

With Gailey at the helm I LOVE this pick!

The Jets went 9-7 with Favre at QB and didn't make the playoffs. The Jets went 9-7 with Sanchez (ROOKIE) at QB and made the playoffs. Should we conclude that Sanchez is a better QB than Favre?

Your theory is broken.

Fail. Epic fail.

The Jets made it that far based on their defense. And, they didn't win the super bowl. All I care about are super bowls. Can't do it without a franchise QB. I personally don't think Sanchez is that guy -- but he's a hell of a lot better than anyone on the Bills current roster.

You might want to check where Jackson got most of his yards last year: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=10195

And who says Spiller can't take it between the tackles?

Jackson totaled 75 yards or fewer in 12 out of 16 games, so stats can indicate anything you want them to. Heck 1/5th of Jackson's yards came in the final meaningless game.

Spiller will operate on a field that remains the same width but with much faster defenses. His speed can be contained a lot easier than you think.

And read the response to your post. Jackson drags guys doen the field. I doubt the SMALL guy will be doing that.

Is the guy fast? Sure. It just means he'll be quicker to the backs of his OL being pushed backwards by Vince Wilfork.

Spiller is just an inch or 2 shorter than Jackson and about 10 pounds lighter. He is a TON FASTER. Size is not an issue.

Look, you can argue that other positions are more important, but don't use size as a reason to bash the pick. By the way, Thurman Thomas was smaller than Spiller and much slower as well. Don't bring up size. Use other reasons.

Spiller jersey number

By Chris Brown - Posted April 22, 2010 – 8:28 pm

Bills top pick C.J. Spiller has apparently already chosen his jersey number to wear for Buffalo.

Spiller is going to wear jersey number 21 for the Bills.

Spiller jersey number

By Chris Brown - Posted April 22, 2010 – 8:28 pm

Bills top pick C.J. Spiller has apparently already chosen his jersey number to wear for Buffalo.

Spiller is going to wear jersey number 21 for the Bills.

Cool. Glad I never got rid of that McGahee knockoff.

I absolutely love this pick. Love it. Can't say it enough. I just hope a guy his size stays healthy. But, I honestly think he will end up being the most talented person to put on a Bills jersey since Jim Kelly. That might not be saying much, but the dude is explosive.

And read the response to your post. Jackson drags guys doen the field. I doubt the SMALL guy will be doing that.

Is the guy fast? Sure. It just means he'll be quicker to the backs of his OL being pushed backwards by Vince Wilfork.

Jackson drags guys down the field? You mean like Wilfork?

Fail. Epic fail.

The Jets made it that far based on their defense. And, they didn't win the super bowl. All I care about are super bowls. Can't do it without a franchise QB. I personally don't think Sanchez is that guy -- but he's a hell of a lot better than anyone on the Bills current roster.

To each his own, but I feel sorry for anyone who only cares about Super Bowls. And I have to question whether you really mean that. Were the 90s really no better than the 00s for you as a Bills fan?

Jackson totaled 75 yards or fewer in 12 out of 16 games, so stats can indicate anything you want them to. Heck 1/5th of Jackson's yards came in the final meaningless game.

Spiller will operate on a field that remains the same width but with much faster defenses. His speed can be contained a lot easier than you think.

Yes some stats (yards/game like you mentioned) can indicate anything you want. Averages are more important. But if we take out that Colts game, which I agree skewed things, he averaged 4.2 YPC, behind the worst OL in football and in an inept offensive scheme.

This isn't the ACC anymore.

And the ACC is not even the SEC...Not even close...

But anyway, look Folks...If Spiller gets into the open Field he's gone...No question about it...He's lightning in a bottle...I've been watching the Kid for Years...Clemson is an hour and a half from My House...I know all there is to know about CJ Spiller...He's a heck of a good Kid...He's going to be a solid part of the Community no question...I'm actually a CJ Spiller Fan already...

But Spiller is a luxury Pick on a Team that has MAJOR needs all over the Field....A Team that did little to fill those needs in Free Agency...A Team that desperately needs to get better in the trenches, and a Team that could have used a Trade down (or two) to stockpile Picks and talent (and don't tell me there were no partners...not this year...)...Dez Bryant, Brian Bulaga, Dan Williams...They are all STILL on the Board at #23...The Bills could have REALLY stocked up on Picks by now...Instead they took a Kid that even they admit is a situational hybrid...I just don't get it...

But lets all hope they were right...I know even though I disagree with the Pick I'm hoping beyond hope they got this one right...I look forward to seeing CJ in Red White and Blue...But Nix, Gailey and Modrak still have a TON of work to do... :thumbsup:

The Bills' salary cap. Which we all know is far less than the rest of the leauge. All the more reason not to tie up a huge chunk of it in one position that isn't as vital as others.

I know you probably would have taken Dan Williams at #9, who hasnt gone at 23, would you want to pay a guy who may not be drafted in the first three quarters of the first round tens of millions? I guarantee if Okung or Trent Williams were available we would have taken either of them. The same thing last year, We wanted one of those three LTs but they were gone, and we didnt have Oher rated that high (like most others and it's still a big question mark whether he will play LT).

I mean what choice do we have?
there are always choices :thumbsup:

nice player

hope he lasts beyond his rookie contract

hell, I hope he lasts his rookie contract

a low priority area of need

can't understand how a team can so long ignore huge needs

a trade back into round 1 to draft timtebow will make this a memorable evening