Darren Woodson on Mike and Mike just said why

He said they partied harder than every other team. He said they were out partying every night, veteran guys getting in fights at bars, etc.. No surprise for most of us but interesting to hear him say it. He said all they heard about in LA when we played Dallas for the first time was how the Bills were out at the clubs every night.

He said they patied harder than every other team. He said they were out patrying every night, veteran guys getting in fights at bars, etc.. No surprise for most of us but interesting to hear him say it. He said all they heard about in LA when we played Dallas for the first time was how the Bills were out at the clubs every night.

So buffalo sucks because there's no nightlife and nothing to do but bills players were partying more than any other team? Yea I get how he said they were in LA on the one instance, but CHILD PLEASE

He said all they heard about in LA when we played Dallas for the first time was how the Bills were out at the clubs every night.

I thought that was what happened for the first or second Super Bowl they were in but they curtailed the partying for the others. Either way, I can't imagine it mattering outside of the Giants game. That was the only one that was close...

He said they patied harder than every other team. He said they were out patrying every night, veteran guys getting in fights at bars, etc.. No surprise for most of us but interesting to hear him say it. He said all they heard about in LA when we played Dallas for the first time was how the Bills were out at the clubs every night.

They patie - caked harder? They ate more crabby patties then any other team? And what exactly is patrying, anyway? Informing post, but slow down a little bit so we can follow what the heck you mean. Plus, was Woodson talking about this years' Cowboys, or the 1992-1993 Cowboys, or the 1992 Buffalo Bills??? :thumbsup:

Great, now Darren Woodson turns into the role of randon fan. Yes it was know that Bills partied in Tampa. Yes we heard stories about Darryl getting into a tussle with Magic's bodyguard in LA. But I don't recall wild shenanigans on the streets of Minneapolis nor partying in Atlanta. Basically, in 3 of 4 games Bills played a better team, and in the first they were too cocky and mismanaged the game which should have been a blow out.

ps - I'm also guessing Woodson is talking from personal experience when Barry Switzer ran them through boot camp.

Old news ... yawn.

it was a known fact that many bills players partied their butts off.....back in the day, i would see them out on friday nights before games all the time(mulligans on hertel, pierce arrow in west seneca, kelly's club).....sometimes on saturdays....... my sister worked at Jim Kelly's club, old bar in the main place mall, the private room upstairs....... the stories i could tell.....absolute fall down drunk.......no way they recovered by sunday.

discipline my azz during super bowl week......it was shameful......partying....hiding thurmans helmet....etc.....

no doubt it contributed in a negative way

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/28/sports/s...ml?pagewanted=1

It was a known fact that the Bills were on on a tight leash headed into that first Super Bowl against Dallas. In fact, the leash may have been too tight, as many observers thought they entered the game very tense.

They partied like crazy in Tampa. Luckily, they did not have the extra week off.

They were tight? Don't think so. They did not make enough big plays on offense. They missed tackes on defense. They waited until the 4th quarter to ride Thurman against a two man line. They did exactly what Bellichek and Parcells planned.

I thought that was what happened for the first or second Super Bowl they were in but they curtailed the partying for the others. Either way, I can't imagine it mattering outside of the Giants game. That was the only one that was close...

Super Bowl 1- Max McGee, a backup reciever for the Packers and a known party animal snuck out at night after Lombardi's curfew and got plastered. He was not expecting to play but a Packer starter got hurt and he played with what he described as a terrible hangover.

He had a huge game, caught a few TDs.

I think he meant they partied too hard after they won the AFC Championship- as if they had won something. The Colts were like "Yep, we won the AFC, who cares, lets prepare for the SB" The Saints - "OMFG WE WON!!!! Lets go party!" Reggie Bush "I just got hom two hours ago and got no sleep" - He said that on camera on ESPN Monday morning. Colts are going to sh*t stomp the Saints because the Saints have already won their chmapionship, or at least celebrating like they have. I always thought the Bills had the same problem.

I’m sure being outcoached had nothing at all to do with any of their losses.

Um being irresponsible is what cost them. Bruce, Thurman, Andre and Jim ALL came out years later and admitted to being messed up during a couple of those superbowls.

If Marv had been a real coach, he would have kept their asses on a curfew like Jimmy Johnson etal did.

They patie - caked harder? They ate more crabby patties then any other team? And what exactly is patrying, anyway? Informing post, but slow down a little bit so we can follow what the heck you mean. Plus, was Woodson talking about this years' Cowboys, or the 1992-1993 Cowboys, or the 1992 Buffalo Bills??? :beer:

Thanks for the advise Mr. 86 posts. :thumbsup:

I think he meant they partied too hard after they won the AFC Championship- as if they had won something. The Colts were like "Yep, we won the AFC, who cares, lets prepare for the SB" The Saints - "OMFG WE WON!!!! Lets go party!" Reggie Bush "I just got hom two hours ago and got no sleep" - He said that on camera on ESPN Monday morning. Colts are going to sh*t stomp the Saints because the Saints have already won their chmapionship, or at least celebrating like they have. I always thought the Bills had the same problem.

Sort of. The real question he was asked was whether or not experience in the Superbowl was an advantage for a team that had been there recently. He said that you would think so and then cited the example of Buffalo being "too comfortable" and partying the whole week leading up to the game. He mentioned specific reports of them being out on Wed Thursday and Friday but stopped short of saying Saturday night as well. He implied we were "over-confident".

Um being irresponsible is what cost them. Bruce, Thurman, Andre and Jim ALL came out years later and admitted to being messed up during a couple of those superbowls.

If Marv had been a real coach, he would have kept their asses on a curfew like Jimmy Johnson etal did.

Not true, ICE. Super Bowl XV, Raiders party like mad, Vermeil keeps the Eagles on a short leash, Raiders win, and the press is full of stories about how being loose was the key to victory. All of this is pointless hindsight.

He said they partied harder than every other team. He said they were out partying every night, veteran guys getting in fights at bars, etc.. No surprise for most of us but interesting to hear him say it. He said all they heard about in LA when we played Dallas for the first time was how the Bills were out at the clubs every night.

I don't know if it had anything to do with why they lost the Superbowls, or even if it was how Darren Woodson would know. I do know that a couple years ago at training camp at St. John Fisher, Kelly and Losman were sitting in front of the bleachers while Steve Tasker went around with a microphone and Kelly and J.P. took questions and answered them. At one point, the subject of training camp there compared to Fredonia came up and Kelly said something to the effect that if they had camp in Rochester, they all would have ended up in jail (I guess Fredonia was boring to them).

I thought this was common knowledge?

Marv himself has said if he could go back and change one thing, he would have enforced a curfew.

There are lots of stories about Jimbo and Chris Berman partying harder than anyone else in the SB cities. Storied told by those guys themselves.

And that isn't even talking about the trouble they used to get into in Buffalo.

If any of those guys (Kelly, Thomas, Smith, Bennet, etc) could have put down the mirror and straw for just a few nights, we probably would have won at least one Super Bowl.

The guys on the "Glory Years" teams were some of the hardest partyers to come through Buffalo. Had the internet been around back then....

Marv himself has said if he could go back and change one thing, he would have enforced a curfew.

There are lots of stories about Jimbo and Chris Berman partying harder than anyone else in the SB cities. Storied told by those guys themselves.

"Nobody cuts straight fat lines...like the Buffalo Bills!"

Nobody partied harder than the Cowboys of that era. For the SB's they chartered a fleet of limos full of hookers to arrive at the SB city ahead of them.

The Bills were absolutely outcoached--espaecially agianst Dallas.

Read "Boys Will Be Boys"--particulary the parts referring to the SB v. the Bills.

The guys on the "Glory Years" teams were some of the hardest partyers to come through Buffalo. Had the internet been around back then....

It was. Search for posts in news groups. I was very active in it during Superbowl run. The interface may not have been dumbed down so children can post but internet was around before 1st browser.

+1

If Marv was anything more than a "Bad" babysitter for a bunch of crybabies we would have at least won that 1st SB and possibly the last one. How you can skwander(if thats how you spell it) 4 opportunities is beyond me. Levy was mostly to blame as he was supposed to watch these kids. He never did. He let the players run the team just like they think they run it now. I love most of them, but to hear Kelly, Thurman give their opinions after every organizational move is a joke. They used to be players and because they never the SB they continue to hang around. If they become partial owners one day I will be happy and agree with them making opinions. But until that day comes. STFU. You had your shot and blew it all so you could go out 6 nights a week and blow coke off strippers t&ts and get boozed up more than the night before.

No doubt the drinking and skiing probably had an effect, but I'd say we lost each Super Bowl because:

25 - Out-coached

26 - Out-talented

27 - Played like sht

28 - Sht our pants

No issue with 26 27 28. 25 was either out-coached or Jim Kelly calling his own plays & with his huge ego, he was going to pass the ball even if the Giants were playing the 1-10 defense

I heard Thurman Thomas talk about this many years ago on a talk show...I can't remember which one. He said something about them being out every night during the Super Bowl and even being out the night before the Super Bowl.

The host said something like, "...but it's the Super Bowl"....and Thurman said something like, "...we were a party team and we were trying to live up to that reputation..."