Mike Shanahan comin to town

NCDAWG

Did u guys read the rest of that article? Did you see the list of "great" names as other options? That's most likely what we will end up with. B-)

Jerry Glanville was just fired from his college gig so why not add him to this list of has beens and never wases :unsure: NO! TO Mike Shanahan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't this a bad way to do Fewell?????? name him interim then immediately go out and talk to shanahan almost on the same day...shouldn't shanahan been contacted and named coach to begin with????

At last nights press conference Perry was asked whether Ralph had told him about the Bills HC position after this season and Perry said something along the lines of "yes, but I'm going to keep that conversation between Mr Wilson and myself".

Schopp and Bulldog discussing Shanny's record without Elway, and it ain't so hot. Do we want a coach who needs a hall of fame QB to win?

PTR

No matter what coach they bring in, everyone is going to be able to poke holes into it. Name one coach out there that we can't say something negative about.

I would imagine Shanahan would want to be the GM also. In saying that he would probably begin his GM role and evaluate everything, and begin coaching at year end.

Sorry, can't recall where I saw it (seen many things about this whole Shanahan ordeal) but I did see that he would want control of all football operations as well. I think it may have been PFT where I saw that, but it's great news!

Schopp and Bulldog discussing Shanny's record without Elway, and it ain't so hot. Do we want a coach who needs a hall of fame QB to win?

PTR

There aren't too many teams that consistently win without Hall of Fame QBs. Bill Belichick became a genius head coach when Tom Brady came around. Anyone think the Colts are a .500 or better team without Manning?

Yeah. Didn't think so.

How anyone can knock the idea of brining in a coach who has been to multiple playoff seasons.....multiple super bowls........offensive minded.....knows how to biuld offensive lines........etc etc at this point is beyond me.

Shanahan would be like jesus coming to Buffalo at this point.....the last winning coach we have had was Marv Levy?

(well....Wade Phillips did get us to a playoff game)

I can knock it. As well as any astute business will, refusing to fork over millions of dollars and contract obligations before checking things out.

Shanahan got canned. Nutty owner? - perhaps.

But canned he was. His name got bandied about, but AFAIK he's been cashing the buyout checks and hasn't said boo about getting a coaching gig.

That reminds me - dim memory tells me that he had to keep his trap shut as a condition of that payoff. No?

There is reason to believe that a Shanahan type, meaning a GM/HC hybrid, is the kind of guy that Ralph may be going after.

1] Even if he pays out big bucks, he's probably reluctantly doing it. If he has to hire a name GM who wants a name HC, that is two high paying jobs he'd have to fill. He can rationalize it to himself that he's getting two for one, even if it's nonsense.

2] A GM/HC hybrid would allow Brandon to resume SOME of his faux GM duties. It would be less of a step down for him because a HC who is also the GM really only wants to have final say in personnel, he doesn't really want to perform all of the GM duties, and doesn't have time for them. Brandon is a smart guy, and good guy, he's just not an NFL player personel man. His job will be a lot better, full, and important if we don't get a full time GM like, say, a Randy Mueller.

If, as Ed Kilgore reported, Brandon was the guy that convinced Ralph that he needs to spend money on a football guy to run that part of the operation, it makes me feel a lot better about Brandon's smarts. He knows he is not capable of that job. His career as "a GM" is on a downward spiral, and his future is as a President or other managerial type position. It would be a smart, shrewd move for Brandon to convince his boss, in essence, that we need a guy in here to do the job that I'm incapable of.

Then again Ralphie could hire a no name GM who hires a no name coach and save a lot of money again.

Shanahan: Hi Mr. Wilson I see that you are in need of services I can provide.

RW: That is correct, I need a new HC w experience that would like to join my "Inner Cirlce". We can over you some say on the draft and FA acquistions.

I can offer you a 5yr $15 million deal.

Shanahan: click(hangsup the phone)

Rw Hello, hello. I think we got disconnected. Tells Brandon to get him back on the phone.

There is ONE GUY out there right now who can design an offense that can out-scheme what the Patriots do on defense.

I repeat: ONE GUY.

That guy is Mike Shanahan.

I really don't want to get my hopes up if this isn't going to happen, that would be like, oh, every freakin' Bills game for the last decade.

Ugh.

Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

Shanahan was 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 in his final 3 seasons with DEN. Sound familiar? And the owner Bowen paid him off to get rid of him. IMO, Bowen was mainstream when it came to forking over the bucks for decent FAs. Shanny didn't lack there, AFAIK.

The reason Shannahan went 8-8, 7-9, & 9-7 was because Denver had a TERRIBLE Defense.

A few things to keep in mind:

There's no reason to believe that Shanahan is going to jump at the first offer the Bills make without first considering what other teams might be interested in him.

There's also no reason to believe that Ralph is going to "hand him the keys" without first considering some other candidates.

isn't this a bad way to do Fewell?????? name him interim then immediately go out and talk to shanahan almost on the same day...shouldn't shanahan been contacted and named coach to begin with????
The problem with that approach is you would have to figure out a way to keep everything secret until you got him signed. Sneaking around behind Dick's back seems a lot worse to me than interviewing HC/GM candidates with the full knowledge of the interim coach.

Really? Fewell just went from someone that was known mainly by his peers and Bills fans to someone that is a head coach in the most Rich and powerful sports league in the world! Dude should be kissing Ralph Wilson's feet right about now. No one is going to blame him if the team goes 0-7 either. His name is OUT THERE now and will lead to plenty of opportunities down the road.

A few things to keep in mind:

There's no reason to believe that Shanahan is going to jump at the first offer the Bills make without first considering what other teams might be interested in him.

There's also no reason to believe that Ralph is going to "hand him the keys" without first considering some other candidates.

I think there is reason to believe both of them.

In the first case, if the Bills offer a significant amount of money, and, more importantly, close to the kind of control that Shanahan wants, he has to make a quick decision: How many owners are willing to do that? Two? Three at most?

Cowher right now seems like a better candidate than Shanahan. Holmgren may be as well. If Dungy wants to coach, he is right in the mix. So is Gruden. Shanahan has a big name but he could be anywhere from #2 to #5 or lower on any random owners wish list. If the Bills offer him close to what he wants, it would be difficult for him to turn it down. Control is probably as important to him as money. Money and Control in Buffalo is probably a better idea to him right now than no control and a HC job on a team that needs one next year.

Right now, I would assume that Mike Shanahan has a 90+% chance of being a HC somewhere next year. But only a 50% chance of getting a lot of money as well as total control or close to it. There are not a lot of those jobs.

In the second case, if Ralph is really willing to pay out the bucks and give up the control that Mike Shanahan is asking for, there is no reason to wade through all the other guys out there after the season. He would pull the trigger as soon as Shanahan said yes, as soon as he made the perfunctory phone call to Cowher's agent who will say "My client is going to wait until the season is over and see what jobs are out there."

Not that I believe this will happen, mind you. But if Ralph is willing to pay Shanahan, and willing to give up control, and Shanahan is willing to agree, it's over. There isn't any looking around.

Fewell is counting his blessings and laughing all the way to the bank at how this had turned out, I take his word for it that he is honestly bummed that the guy who gave him a co-ordinator job was canned mid-season.

However, by being named the interim and the D generally keeping us in games until they would get overrun after being on the field too much with the Bills Nonffense, Fewell has just escaped blame for this sorry team.

At worst, this team will continue to look bad under him and he rightly is judged not capable of getting players to at least play like men when the going gets bad. However, though he is clearly not HC material he actually enhances his value as a DC who has HC'ed before.

If the team is OK but not great he adds to hia HC potential resume.

If he is great maybe he stays but likely goes into the market as a hot commodity.

Add to that he probably will bank at least a cool million in new money for doing the interim job.

Fewell comes out of this carnage in a virtual no lose situation and likely enhances his value a lot.

Not bad for getting dissed by the Bills even id that is what is happening here.

No one, not even Fewell, could possibly think he was going to be the new HC. Lisa Lampanelli would be elected president before Fewell becomes HC next season.

Fewell is counting his blessings and laughing all the way to the bank at how this had turned out, I take his word for it that he is honestly bummed that the guy who gave him a co-ordinator job was canned mid-season.

However, by being named the interim and the D generally keeping us in games until they would get overrun after being on the field too much with the Bills Nonffense, Fewell has just escaped blame for this sorry team.

At worst, this team will continue to look bad under him and he rightly is judged not capable of getting players to at least play like men when the going gets bad. However, though he is clearly not HC material he actually enhances his value as a DC who has HC'ed before.

If the team is OK but not great he adds to hia HC potential resume.

If he is great maybe he stays but likely goes into the market as a hot commodity.

Add to that he probably will bank at least a cool million in new money for doing the interim job.

Fewell comes out of this carnage in a virtual no lose situation and likely enhances his value a lot.

Not bad for getting dissed by the Bills even id that is what is happening here.

I see Fewell being the Rooney Rule candidate for the HC job next year, then becoming a DB asst. coach somewhere else (ala Jerry Gray). Ralph/new regime may want to keep April as ST coach, that's why he wasn't 'promoted'.

I wonder since Shanahan is an offensive guy (who I would trust with a top 5 pick in a QB heavy draft), who would be the DC? Would we keep Fewell? The D has not been awful despite the atrocious run defense ranking. They have caved late in the 4th, but overall have kept the Bills in many games.