Brutal truth from Inside Slant

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Arfr...ype=team_report

When an opposing player in the cliche spewing, false-praise pontificating NFL says something like this, you know your team is pretty bad.

Houston linebacker DeMeco Ryans’ summation of the Bills’ woeful, pop-gun offense: “It was easy,” Ryans said after the Texans stifled the Bills in a 31-10 romp. “They kind of had the same formations. They didn’t give us a lot of motions and things. So it was a simple offense to go against.”

Congratulations to Ryans for speaking the truth and not sugar-coating things. The simple truth, as he made abundantly clear, is the Bills’ offense is absolutely pathetic and it seems to be sinking to new depths every week.

Congrats, Coach Jauron - you got the offense you wanted when you fired Turk. :devil:

He spoke about using more motion in the post game press conference. Why we don't move the WRs around on damn near every play is beyond my level of comprehension.

The Bills offense has been predictable the past couple years. It just doesn't make sense. I understand that it's not possible to completely change the plays and formations at this point and time. We are stuck with Turk's offense, plain and simple. But I would think some tweaks can be made. I know the Bills went through OTA's and training camp learning this particular system and maybe I don't know enough about running and offense, but IMO some changes to formations or adding motion shouldn't be that difficult...

He spoke about using more motion in the post game press conference. Why we don't move the WRs around on damn near every play is beyond my level of comprehension.

Baby steps.

(1) Week 10: Lee Evans goes in motion

(2) Week 11: TO goes in motion

(3) Week 12: Incorporate what is commonly referred to as "play action"

(4) Week 13: Do all of the above in one game

(5) Week 14: Do all of the above, plus re-introduce screen pass.

(6) Week 15: Consider adding slant pass

(7) Week 16: Add slant pass route

(8) Week 17: Simplify offense by going to week 8 gameplan

The Bills offense has been predictable the past couple years. It just doesn't make sense. I understand that it's not possible to completely change the plays and formations at this point and time. We are stuck with Turk's offense, plain and simple. But I would think some tweaks can be made. I know the Bills went through OTA's and training camp learning this particular system and maybe I don't know enough about running and offense, but IMO some changes to formations or adding motion shouldn't be that difficult...

I think it's safe to say we can stop blaming Turk for this team offensive woes. Predictability has been a problem since Fairchild. This is on Jauron and his constant demand the offense be simplified (as we learned from both Turk and DJ).

I agree with the OP, Jauron has finally got his wish. He dumbed down the O to a point he's comfortable with. Too bad the O is now a joke.

I think it's safe to say we can stop blaming Turk for this team offensive woes. Predictability has been a problem since Fairchild. This is on Jauron and his constant demand the offense be simplified (as we learned from both Turk and DJ).

I agree with the OP, Jauron has finally got his wish. He dumbed down the O to a point he's comfortable with. Too bad the O is now a joke.

Definitely not safe to say, I don't think we can let him off the hook that easily. While I do agree the DJ should get most of the blame for being so conservative and keeping the offense simple, Turk does not get off the hook that easily. But it is ultimately DJ's call to keep hiring guys with no NFL OC experience, so you get what you pay for.

The best the offense has looked was week #1, which happens to be the only gameplan this season that Turk may have had any true input into. (Edit: I understand they were good against Tampa in week #2, but Tampa is hideously bad.)

Take away the smoke screens and the truth remains. This is Dick Jauron's football team. He said so himself.

The best the offense has looked was week #1, which happens to be the only gameplan this season that Turk may have had any true input into. (Edit: I understand they were good against Tampa in week #2, but Tampa is hideously bad.)

Take away the smoke screens and the truth remains. This is Dick Jauron's football team. He said so himself.

In game one, no one had seen the offense yet. So it did have an element of surprise. It was hardly a juggernaut either -- the Bills only scored 17 points on offense that game.

And as Sully pointed out, it was DJ's idea to go with the no huddle. DJ has more input regarding the direction of the offense than some people want to admit.

This is his abortion.

Remember when Josh Reed would move in motion a few years ago and we all knew it'd be a running play? I didn't think it could get worse, but it has.

Unfortunately, there are still mouth-breather fans who believe players are at fault. It's not that simple when the people managing those players cannot figure out how to use them. That said, if TO drops a pass and is wide open, it's his fault. But TO was used a lot in motion last year in Dallas to mitigate his issue getting off the LOS. Apparently, DJ doesn't know that and insists on avoiding any type of motion.

DJ is the worst coach of the past 25 years. And I remember Rich Kotite.

Remember when Josh Reed would move in motion a few years ago and we all knew it'd be a running play? I didn't think it could get worse, but it has.

Unfortunately, there are still mouth-breather fans who believe players are at fault. It's not that simple when the people managing those players cannot figure out how to use them. That said, if TO drops a pass and is wide open, it's his fault. But TO was used a lot in motion last year in Dallas to mitigate his issue getting off the LOS. Apparently, DJ doesn't know that and insists on avoiding any type of motion.

BillsVet, When the OL is overmatched it doesn't matter how simple or complex the offense is. Nothing is going to work until there is better play from the line. Our tackles are being knocked away like flys and the ineperienced interior line can't handle inside stunts. The organization grossly miscalculated and had no reasonable backup plans for the departures of Peters and Walker. Now the offense is stuck with the damaging consequences of stupid personnel decisions prior to the season. Incompetence piled on top of more incompetence. What a surprise from a Ralph Wilson owned team. <_<

He very well may be that bad. You realize how bad we are when you watch other teams such as the Falcons and Saints move the ball up and down the field all game long. Even Denver with Kyle Orton on the field has a purpose as to what they are trying to do on each and every play and series. Sure we have a very poor offensive line, but a good coaching staff would still game plan to protect our weaknesses and run a competent scheme. We have lots of playmakers who are tremendously underutilized on a weekly basis.

And notice that in any close game that we are winning late, Dick goes ultra conservative to make it as difficult as possible to put the game away. Our offense has no clue about playing with any sense of urgency. And I don't think AVP could even gameplan for a high school offense at this point. I think TE could be SERIOUSLY injured against the Titans. We will probably make their defense look dominant. Worst of all, I don't think the players even care anymore, especially on offense. I believe they are all just waiting for DJ to get the ax. They are given no direction and they know it. They are not stupid.

Well, I remember reading in an article a few weeks back that the offese had no motion as DEMANDED by Dick Jauron. Jauron doesn't get offense in the modern NFL, or game play either, which has killed this franchise the past 4 years.

That's the key problem. regardless of how good AVP maybe as an OC, Jauron is stifiling it by Dick's simplistic, moralistic outlook. I doubt any other coach in the NFL worries about keeping games close, hoping they can pull out a victory at the end. That's playing and coaching scared. Good coaches find ways to mask players deficiency making them look better than they are. Bad coaches make good players look bad.

As Herm Edwards once said, "You play to win the game" and once you don't you need to retire. Jauron needs to do us all a favor and retire because he definitely isn't coaching/playing to win.

As far as bad coaches go let's throw another one on the fire, Marty Mornhinweg. Matter of fact that'll be Ralph's next billiant idea. Move Brandon back to promotion and hire Matt Millen as GM, hey he learned from his mistakes in Detroit, right?

BillsVet, When the OL is overmatched it doesn't matter how simple or complex the offense is. Nothing is going to work until there is better play from the line. Our tackles are being knocked away like flys and the ineperienced interior line can't handle inside stunts. The organization grossly miscalculated and had no reasonable backup plans for the departures of Peters and Walker. Now the offense is stuck with the damaging consequences of stupid personnel decisions prior to the season. Incompetence piled on top of more incompetence. What a surprise from a Ralph Wilson owned team. <_<

Sorry dude, not buying this. I agree that the OLine is a big contributor to the problem but no more than say 60%. A smart OC could make changes to get around some of these issues. If the pass rush is too strong, run some screens. Remember screens from earlier this year? If pass rush is too heavy, run some short timing routes. Don't make your QB drop back and hold onto the ball looking looking looking. There are things we could be doing differently to get different results. Instead we run the Pop Warner offense and Dick believes if those (I love our) guys would only play better which they will after learning and working and studying film, all will be OK. Green Bay's offense seems to do OK with a bad OL. They take a lot of sacks AND gain a lot of yards.

All is took was about a game and a half for those very smart- 16 hour a day working defensive coordinators to break down the Buffalo film. They've completely taken the run game and screen passing away from the offense for the most part (which worked ok in game #1). They are daring...begging... Trent or Fitz to beat the blitz and make plays down the field....which clearly they can't do for a myriad of reasons. I guarantee teams don't play this type of D against the top 10 QB's because they would get burned downfield too often.

In his weekly call, Dick pretty squarely put the offense in the cross-hairs of blame this week. Summary: "We just need to do better on 3rd down." The Bills 3rd down conversion rate was 2-10 and their longest was a 3rd and 8. :wallbash:

This offense has so many problems its hard to know where to begin fixing it.

Until Jauron and his staff are gone it won't matter. We also don't know if Jauron is dictating to AVP what plays can be run or truly how much he allows AVP to implement in his plan each week. He may also have limited Trents ability to audible.

Good teams and coaches put players in a position to win. I don't think the offense has to be super complicated with a playbook the size of an encyclopedia either. Every offense has base formations and looks....... its alot about having talent that can execute and adding wrinkles and new looks off your base offense, which I don't think they do or do nearly enough.

What I notice with the Bills is that it seems Edwards or Fitz rarely audible.... If theres 8 or 9 in the box they go right ahead and run anyway. They don't create mismatches at all or force the d to cover a TE/WR with a S or LB often enough .... no use of motion to free up our receivers and like others have said, I have seen very few slants or routes going across the middle, play action etc. They do make it very easy to read what is coming. When half the posters here can sit at home and know what we are doing then I'm sure for d coordinators its very easy.

How many times do we see Brady line up and take 2 steps and wing it over to Moss/Welker and they run a WR screen for 7+ yards all the time. Especially against us because our cb's are lined up 10 yards off the ball. Thats just smart and taking what is given. <_<

I'm not impressed with Trent this year... he has regressed it seems. I also do think he has not been put into a great position or have they game planned to play to his strengths.

Most of this has been stated on here for a long time... until a real gm and group of scouts come in and a solid coaching staff is installed the bills will spin their wheels.

Thats step 1. The next step would be to identify a franchise qb in this years or nexts draft and do what it takes to get him. I'd keep Trent around for the year while the rook learns. See what he can actually do under a real coach and game planning. Bring in a VET LT that is respectable in FA (along w/ a couple linebackers but the defense is a whole different topic) - If bell improves and pans out great, if not I have someone that can at least be competant. RT can be found between a battle of what we have (Bell, Meredith, Scott) and draft pics. Levitre stays put, wood to C and Butler back to G. Until that line gets better we have no chance. My remaining picks (may have to trade up to acquire a top qb) would go to both lines and LB.

Rich was way uglier than Jauron. Nod for worst coach goes to Kotite on that.

Sorry dude, not buying this. I agree that the OLine is a big contributor to the problem but no more than say 60%. A smart OC could make changes to get around some of these issues. If the pass rush is too strong, run some screens. Remember screens from earlier this year? If pass rush is too heavy, run some short timing routes. Don't make your QB drop back and hold onto the ball looking looking looking. There are things we could be doing differently to get different results. Instead we run the Pop Warner offense and Dick believes if those (I love our) guys would only play better which they will after learning and working and studying film, all will be OK. Green Bay's offense seems to do OK with a bad OL. They take a lot of sacks AND gain a lot of yards.

Reddogblitz, The big difference between the Packers and Bills offense is that they have a franchise qb. Rodgers is a play maker; Edwards and Fitzpatrick are not.

I am not going to judge Edwards as a failure, at least not at this point, because of the struggles of the OL. But he is not the type of qb who is going to make a lot of big plays. He is more of a manager type qb where Rodgers has the ability to make the big impact play at any time.

We need a big time offensive coordinater. Jaurons a D minded coach. He should be limited on what he does with the offense.

The best way to limit Jauron is to eliminate him. That way his loser mentality cannot infect the team.

The best way to limit Jauron is to eliminate him. That way his loser mentality cannot infect the team.

DJ is a disease, and I'm not sure he realizes the decisions he makes on gameday are kill morale. Being at the NO game, I can't help but remember punting down 10 with about 7 minutes to go. That gutless move has to have an affect on players and I just don't buy that they love him as much as the Bills say.

Jauron is somewhat clueless on how to run an offense, that fact is readily apparent. What bothers me is the guy is clearly afraid to bring in a name OC, the only person that perhaps could have taken his job was Schonert... and he fired him.

The problem on this team is first and foremost with the offensive line and to be more specific the tackle position, the current players are all learning in trial by fire. Which means they are thrown on the fire until they play well, get burned or injured.

This years Bills team could have done so much better with some experience at the tackle position as they entered the year with virtually no depth at that position. As soon as the injuries started the entire offense started to tank.

I honestly hope that whomever replaces Jauron when he eventually goes is someone who will bring in the west coast offense to the Buffalo Bills, clearly the offense they run now is old fashioned and easy to game plan against.

Rich was way uglier than Jauron. Nod for worst coach goes to Kotite on that.

Rich had 2 winning seasons out of 5 total.

Yes the decline the penalty to punt decision goes down as the single worst of all time, but, DJ is worse for sure than Rich Kotite.

Poor Leon Hess, but at least he pulled the plug on Kotite after a couple years.

For RW, no sympathy; he prolongs the pain.

Weren't you guys all the ones yelling about the amount of penalties we had on offense the first few weeks? We had those penalties because we have an extremely unseasoned offensive line starting at go, and we had a complicated scheme.

As those guys start to get it, we will be able to add complexity.

This offense has so many problems its hard to know where to begin fixing it.

Until Jauron and his staff are gone it won't matter. We also don't know if Jauron is dictating to AVP what plays can be run or truly how much he allows AVP to implement in his plan each week. He may also have limited Trents ability to audible.

Good teams and coaches put players in a position to win. I don't think the offense has to be super complicated with a playbook the size of an encyclopedia either. Every offense has base formations and looks....... its alot about having talent that can execute and adding wrinkles and new looks off your base offense, which I don't think they do or do nearly enough.

What I notice with the Bills is that it seems Edwards or Fitz rarely audible.... If theres 8 or 9 in the box they go right ahead and run anyway. They don't create mismatches at all or force the d to cover a TE/WR with a S or LB often enough .... no use of motion to free up our receivers and like others have said, I have seen very few slants or routes going across the middle, play action etc. They do make it very easy to read what is coming. When half the posters here can sit at home and know what we are doing then I'm sure for d coordinators its very easy.

How many times do we see Brady line up and take 2 steps and wing it over to Moss/Welker and they run a WR screen for 7+ yards all the time. Especially against us because our cb's are lined up 10 yards off the ball. Thats just smart and taking what is given. :thumbsup:

I'm not impressed with Trent this year... he has regressed it seems. I also do think he has not been put into a great position or have they game planned to play to his strengths.

Most of this has been stated on here for a long time... until a real gm and group of scouts come in and a solid coaching staff is installed the bills will spin their wheels.

Thats step 1. The next step would be to identify a franchise qb in this years or nexts draft and do what it takes to get him. I'd keep Trent around for the year while the rook learns. See what he can actually do under a real coach and game planning. Bring in a VET LT that is respectable in FA (along w/ a couple linebackers but the defense is a whole different topic) - If bell improves and pans out great, if not I have someone that can at least be competant. RT can be found between a battle of what we have (Bell, Meredith, Scott) and draft pics. Levitre stays put, wood to C and Butler back to G. Until that line gets better we have no chance. My remaining picks (may have to trade up to acquire a top qb) would go to both lines and LB.

Very well said. Right on the money sonny.

Weren't you guys all the ones yelling about the amount of penalties we had on offense the first few weeks? We had those penalties because we have an extremely unseasoned offensive line starting at go, and we had a complicated scheme.

There's no guarantee that Bell will be half the player Peters was. Levitre and Wood aren't winning at the point of attack. Hangartner is an upgrade over Fowler/Preston, but nothing special. Meanwhile, the RT spot is manned by journeymen more likely to be UFL players next season than anything else.

So go ahead and give them an out for cutting or trading their veterans and replacing them with rookies or guys changing positions. Their management decided to enter the season with less experienced/talented players. That's a recipe for failure, but evidently enough Bills fans are already chalking this season up to self-imposed youthful mistakes. Marketing will have an easy time with you.

He's a great defensive coach[1] and the players love him[2]. I think they just need an offensive coordinator who can handle the offense by himself[3].

1. I would challenge that notion. Decent? Maybe. Great? NO. He's penchant for wasting resources on the secondary is one of the reasons why this team has little depth and is weak along the front 7.

2. This has been debated ad nauseum. I could care less if his players love him. I love my son, my wife, and my mother, but under no circumstance are they qualified and/or competent enough to be a HC of an NFL team.

3. Wouldn't matter. As we have seen, Jauron has significant influence on how the offense operates. Do you honestly expect him to just STOP because the Bills brought in somebody different? Make no mistake. The offense we see and have been tortured with these past 4 years is Jauron's 100%. Bringing in somebody different will not change a thing, as Dickie will want/demand the offense to operate in way he is comfortable with.

Bottom line: As a HC, Jauron is loser, and that has been consistently proven. Even by the parameters he recognizes as the "standard".

Did everyone read Sully's quote from Jauron after the game? It was classic.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/847206.html

Jauron finally used motion on half a dozen plays against the Texans. Pressed on the subject, he offered this explanation:

"Just talking regular motion or fake? We faked a lot of reverses trying to affect their defense and to force on the backside and then that comes off of that. The movement off the fake reverse, and the reverse and in and out, and also just to get a feel on man or zone along with the first two things, really."

That's straight off the quote sheet. Sheer gibberish from the Yale grad. Jauron clearly didn't want to discuss with mere laymen the merits of putting men in motion, or explain why the heck he hadn't been doing it for the first seven games.

Actually, the scheme was 'uncomplicated' at the beginning of the year. That's why Turk was fired. Remember the "Pop Warner" reference?

Many of the penalties can probably be traced back to the fact the Bills were trying to run the no huddle.

What's the one of the big things young players need? Communication.

What is one negative aspect of the no huddle? Communication is limited.

(That's why it was laughable when people on here drank the kool aid, and declared the no huddle would "help" the young line)

Rich had 2 winning seasons out of 5 total.

Yes the decline the penalty to punt decision goes down as the single worst of all time, but, DJ is worse for sure than Rich Kotite.

Poor Leon Hess, but at least he pulled the plug on Kotite after a couple years.

For RW, no sympathy; he prolongs the pain.

Counting his last seven games with the Eagles, Kotite lost 35 of his final 39 games as an NFL head coach, for a winning percentage of .103. Before that, his percentage had been .632.