Kobe Bryant: Killed in Helicopter crash (update: NTSB prelim. report)

DrDawkinstein

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm trying to get over the idea of taking a helicopter to a kid's basketball practice.

Tell me about it ... My wife was joking that one of the Kardashians or Jenner's took their newborn to their first Disneyland trip the other day. There was a photo of the kid on a plane. They live in Calabasas, an hour or so from Disneyland. Why do you need a plane for that trip? Or in this case...helicopter. 

55 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Felicia is a 'journalist' for the Washington post. This discussion on how he was flawed could be had after family, friends and fans could have absorbed the news and grieved.

What dirt does Felicia have on Kobe's daughter and the others killed in this accident? I can't wait for that. What about the total disregard for the Bryant Family? Does anyone think they want this?

A real journalist would have waited a while and used that time to put together a story on the tragic loss of life, and then have a civil discussion about Kobe's life; good and bad. It could have been used as a piece that led to a more general discussion about the complexity of the human condition, or how much slack we give our sports and entertainment heroes, but nope. Bodies aren't even cold and this piece of human garbage can't wait to use it as a platform. We get this vile trash instead.

I am truly disgusted.

RIP Black Mamba. RIP Little Mamba.

My sincere condolences to the Bryant Family, Altobelli Family, and the Laker Nation.

I share the feeling that the moment one hears about a man's death along with his child is not the time to summarize his life as its worst known incident

However, the article linked was first published in 2016, it's not a piece that was rushed to press today.

I also can't go along with calling the reporter "human garbage" and "vile trash" for putting out the link.  Believe it or don't, it is a part of Kobe's life story.  Just a part, but there it is.

• Like (+1) 1

any time i randomly throw something into the garbage, or playing on my kids hoop or just throwing it around in the gym i'd always randomly yell kobe after the shot.  it's funny how the guy got into people's lives like that.  so many lives cut short and people who were gonna make some marks on the world.  tough loss

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I share the feeling that the moment one hears about a man's death along with his child is not the time to summarize his life as its worst known incident

However, the article linked was first published in 2016, it's not a piece that was rushed to press today.

I also can't go along with calling the reporter "human garbage" and "vile trash" for putting out the link.  Believe it or don't, it is a part of Kobe's life story.  Just a part, but there it is.

I think culturally we pretend we know these guys a lot more than we really do. Makes us all part of the team to do so.

I’ve tried to shift away from “Kobe’s amazing” to “Kobe’s tenacity on the court is impressive” as we don’t know much about any of the people in their day to day but certainly can admire traits. It’s one I backslide on a lot, as it’s so culturally ingrained though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think culturally we pretend we know these guys a lot more than we really do. Makes us all part of the team to do so.

I’ve tried to shift away from “Kobe’s amazing” to “Kobe’s tenacity on the court is impressive” as we don’t know much about any of the people in their day to day but certainly can admire traits. It’s one I backslide on a lot, as it’s so culturally ingrained though.

This is a big part of why I am not a jersey guy. I don’t know these guys or what they represent. I’m a fan of the team, but won’t idolize some guy because he can shoot the three or sack the QB. I’ll buy Bills gear and represent in that fashion.

Nothing wrong with those who want to go that route, but it’s just not my thing. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We can, of course, mourn imperfect people. 

For we are ALL imperfect! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is a big part of why I am not a jersey guy. I don’t know these guys or what they represent. I’m a fan of the team, but won’t idolize some guy because he can shoot the three or sack the QB. I’ll buy Bills gear and represent in that fashion.

Nothing wrong with those who want to go that route, but it’s just not my thing. 

For we are ALL imperfect! 

I understand this, but honestly think you guys are overthinking this. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a super fan of athletes both on and off the field based on what we can know about them. Josh Allen, for example, seems like a great guy and someone I can really get into rooting for because he seems like a great player and a great person. 

We could be wrong about them in the end, but so what? Then we’re wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

I've only once ever reported a tweet, and it was about 5 mins ago of someone saying how f-Ed up it was that we're celebrating a sexual predator as a father and a hero. Man people are brutal

False accusations like the one leveled at Bryant should have MUCH stiffer penalties. It's really difficult to disprove a rape allegation, but this one came pretty close.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

it was enough for him to quit the school so ...

i imagine planes are a little safer, he said something about anti rotation being a big problem.

The actual term is "autorotation."

Its what helo folks do to minimize crashes by attempting to minimize the sink rate during an engine failure.

During normal flight, air is pulled down from above.

If the main rotor system is not being powered, an autorotation is done and the air goes up through the rotor.

Not a helicopter fan. Way too many moving parts.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I understand this, but honestly think you guys are overthinking this. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a super fan of athletes both on and off the field based on what we can know about them. Josh Allen, for example, seems like a great guy and someone I can really get into rooting for because he seems like a great player and a great person. 

We could be wrong about them in the end, but so what? Then we’re wrong. 

My son has a Josh Allen jersey and I love it. Christmas gift from his fiancé who checked with me for the suggestion. (She already knew the answer, she’s awesome!)

If I had to pick, a Kyle Allen jersey would be my choice today. Having said that, an OJ jersey probably would have been my pick way back when. God bless the jersey folks because I love how it makes us look when we represent! It’s just not MY thing. To each their own. 

GO BILLS! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, sherpa said:

The actual term is "autorotation."

Its what helo folks do to minimize crashes by attempting to minimize the sink rate during an engine failure.

During normal flight, air is pulled down from above.

If the main rotor system is not being powered, an autorotation is done and the air goes up through the rotor.

Not a helicopter fan. Way too many moving parts.

As my Airforce buddies say when talking about why they never want to fly in helicopters:

"Planes use physics to work with the air so the air wants to keep them afloat. Whereas helicopters just beat the air into submission."

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He wasn't a horrible human; he wasn't a great human; he was just human. He was a great basketball player and he affected a lot of people through that career.

Why do people have to hit the extremes with their comments on this?

Just accept the whole truth and reflect on it.

Reading the stuff about him and his daughter is sad. I'll definitely translate the personal effects of this story to my own life in a positive way.

Good post. I will say, beyond basketball and celebrity, there WAS something "extraordinary" about Bryant. Not extraordinary in the sense that he was a saint or a monster. Extraordinary in the sense that he had an aura that is rare. A certain energy that made you want to know more. There were thoughts behind his facial expressions, and when he chose to express his thoughts, they were poignant, thought provoking, and even inspirational.

I believe that "aura" is the reason this news is hitting people like a ton of bricks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I appreciate the reply. No where in my post did I sugar coat or ignore that Kobe, like Felicia, and all of us are all flawed. I think it is vile to bring this up as soon as his death is announced, if not for Kobe, then for his family and friends. What was the motive?

The tweet was sent out today, within hours of the reported death, with a link to the article from the past. Why feel the need to drudge up the past as soon as the death is reported?

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Good post. I will say, beyond basketball and celebrity, there WAS something "extraordinary" about Bryant. Not extraordinary in the sense that he was a saint or a monster. Extraordinary in the sense that he had an aura that is rare. A certain energy that made you want to know more. There were thoughts behind his facial expressions, and when he chose to express his thoughts, they were poignant, thought provoking, and even inspirational.

I believe that "aura" is the reason this news is hitting people like a ton of bricks. 

I'll give you that. To me he was just a great basketball player and personality. The only "extraordinary" part of him was his basketball feats. Even as a Celtics fan, and after the scandal, I definitely respected Bryant and wanted to watch him play if I had the chance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I appreciate the reply. No where in my post did I sugar coat or ignore that Kobe, like Felicia, and all of us are all flawed. I think it is vile to bring this up as soon as his death is announced, if not for Kobe, then for his family and friends. What was the motive?

The tweet was sent out today, within hours of the reported death, with a link to the article from the past. Why feel the need to drudge up the past as soon as the death is reported?

where in are the limits drawn on where you can cross over from celebrating the best of lives to acknowledging the worst? 

were comments about Michael Jackson’s scandals off limits?

when OJ passes can only football be celebrated? 

aaron Hernandez’s suicide?

how many hours or days before it’s discussed?

its a clumsy and messy issue dealing with celebrity deaths in the social media age. Especially ones with serious accusations. There’s no one size fits all. The family of his accuser probably feel a bit crummy with each celebration of him the last decade or so. Perspective is a hell of a thing and if you had been raped by a man in power you may appreciate seeing some acknowledgement today.

that said, I won’t pretend all bringing it up truly have good intentions in their hearts either. You just kind of have to roll with it being a spectrum when you invite a billion people to the discussion 

1 hour ago, 707BillsFan said:

Tell me about it ... My wife was joking that one of the Kardashians or Jenner's took their newborn to their first Disneyland trip the other day. There was a photo of the kid on a plane. They live in Calabasas, an hour or so from Disneyland. Why do you need a plane for that trip? Or in this case...helicopter. 

Calabasas?  An hour from Disneyland?  Bwahahaha. You NorCal people are so cute. It takes an hour to get to Disneyland from the Anaheim exit off the 5 freeway.  ?

You can afford a copter you take a copter. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'll give you that. To me he was just a great basketball player and personality. The only "extraordinary" part of him was his basketball feats. Even as a Celtics fan, and after the scandal, I definitely respected Bryant and wanted to watch him play if I had the chance.

If it weren't for basketball, none of us would have any idea who he was. 

But there was something about the guy that I can't articulate properly. Handsome/really intelligent guy with an incredible drive. Mysterious in a sense.(Sounds melodramatic)

I wasn't even a fan. I hate the Lakers to be entirely honest. But I'm trying to figure out why his death is hitting me so hard. My reaction to celebrity deaths is generally that everyone dies. Been though a lot of personal tragedy, so I'm somewhat numb to emotion as it pertains to people I don't know. This just feels different.

Sorry about the C's loss!

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As my Airforce buddies say when talking about why they never want to fly in helicopters:

"Planes use physics to work with the air so the air wants to keep them afloat. Whereas helicopters just beat the air into submission."

Reminds me of bumblebees....according to physics, they shouldn't be able to fly. They just will themselves to fly.

Which brings up the obvious question: if a bumblebee crashes, does anybody care?

11 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I can come up with a few reasons... For instance, everyone assumes their world view of a person should be reflected by others. Clearly this isn’t the case. I have never followed basketball. I have zero reverence for Kobe and his career. I quite simply just don’t care for the sport nor anything done inside of it. I bet there are lots of people who may only know him from that incident long ago. Keep in mind that the resolution of that incident was close in time to OJ. There are a lot of people who are resentful towards the rich and powerful buying justice and that feeling may overshadow whatever he did in his career. Listening to others lionize him in death may conflict with their differing view of the player. No one has the full story of who he was at all times. 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

where in are the limits drawn on where you can cross over from celebrating the best of lives to acknowledging the worst? 

were comments about Michael Jackson’s scandals off limits?

when OJ passes can only football be celebrated? 

aaron Hernandez’s suicide?

how many hours or days before it’s discussed?

its a clumsy and messy issue dealing with celebrity deaths in the social media age. Especially ones with serious accusations. There’s no one size fits all. The family of his accuser probably feel a bit crummy with each celebration of him the last decade or so. Perspective is a hell of a thing and if you had been raped by a man in power you may appreciate seeing some acknowledgement today.

that said, I won’t pretend all bringing it up truly have good intentions in their hearts either. You just kind of have to roll with it being a spectrum when you invite a billion people to the discussion 

Well I will say Kobe had a lot to do with my giving up on the NBA. Yes he was one of the best but a not sure a more selfish ball hog ever played the game.  The fued between him and Shaq was the nail in my NBA fan coffin.