Crabtree to re-enter draft

I just saw on ESPN News that Michael Crabtree is going to sit out the entire year, and re-enter the draft in 2010.

I wonder where he will go, still Top 10? I doubt so with his attitude. However, when he drops, he will go to a better team where he will likely have better success. I think he is making a very big mistake, the 49ers seem headed in a good direction. What are your thoughts on Crabtree's decision.

Also, I just saw that Pisa Tinoisimoa got hurt. Not sure what the extent of the injury is, Lovie Smith just said in his press conference that he suffered an injury and will be re-evaluated. I think Ellison, Harris and Palmer are better options than this guy, had we signed him in the off-season.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw on ESPN News that Michael Crabtree is going to sit out the entire year, and re-enter the draft in 2010.

I wonder where he will go, still Top 10? I doubt so with his attitude. However, when he drops, he will go to a better team where he will likely have better success. I think he is making a very big mistake, the 49ers seem headed in a good direction. What are your thoughts on Crabtree's decision.

Also, I just saw that Pisa Tinoisimoa got hurt. Not sure what the extent of the injury is, Lovie Smith just said in his press conference that he suffered an injury and will be re-evaluated. I think Ellison, Harris and Palmer are better options than this guy, had we signed him in the off-season.

Crabtree must be one of the biggest idiots on the planet...even his agent called him out and is like WTF...

There is NO possible way Crabtree gets drafted higher than he was this year. He will be lucky if he is drafted in the first round, after not having played at all for a year. Basically all this guy is doing is leaving a lot of guarenteed money on the table and delaying his ability to hit free agency and get an even bigger payday with his 2nd contract(if he is any good that is)...

My opinion is that Crabtree is unbelievably STUPID. He will NEVER make up for that missed year.

Crabtree is an idiot. He will come out on the losing end of this deal. He is now a 5th rounder or lower next year,

I think this is a huge mistake as well. So he reenters the draft. Does he really expect to be chosen higher than he was this year after sitting out for an entire year and displaying a very individualistic attitude? Give me a break...He is a great talent but he only had one great year in college. So in all likelihood he gets picked later in next years draft and probably ends up with even less money than he would have now (an ass load). Plus he looses a year....

What am I here in this thought process?!

A year away from football worked real well for Maurice Clarrett and Mike Williams (ughh, not THAT MIke Williams.) What was that saying about those who fail to learn from history...

He is now a 5th rounder or lower next year.

That is a little silly. There is no way he falls out of the 1st Round, let alone the Top 3.

he only had one great year in college.

He actually had 2 great years. His Freshman and Sophomore seasons he was a unanimous decision for "The Nation's Top Wide Receiver." He won the Paul Warfield and Bilitnekoff awards.

Maurice Clarrett and Mike Williams

I would say that Crabtree is much better and more highly touted than those 2. He is well-known as well, those 2 were not.

Crabtree must be one of the biggest idiots on the planet...even his agent called him out and is like WTF...

There is NO possible way Crabtree gets drafted higher than he was this year. He will be lucky if he is drafted in the first round, after not having played at all for a year. Basically all this guy is doing is leaving a lot of guarenteed money on the table and delaying his ability to hit free agency and get an even bigger payday with his 2nd contract(if he is any good that is)...

Maybe he is hoping Matt Millen gets another GM job...

That is a little silly. There is no way he falls out of the 1st Round, let alone the Top 3.

He actually had 2 great years. His Freshman and Sophomore seasons he was a unanimous decision for "The Nation's Top Wide Receiver." He won the Paul Warfield and Bilitnekoff awards.

OK. He had 1 Great year and one Very good year. His stats were down across the board in 2008.

2008 97 1,165 12.0 19

2007 134 1,962 14.6 22

I would say that Crabtree is much better and more highly touted than those 2. He is well-known as well, those 2 were not.

On what grounds is Crabtree better known? Clarett rushed for 1,237 yards (a school record for a freshman) and scored 18 touchdowns. The kids had one of the best freshmen years for RB in history. In addition, he started in the National Championship game and scored the winning touchdown.

Crabtree is shooting himself in the foot.

OK. He had 1 Great year and one Very good year. His stats were down across the board in 2008.

2008 97 1,165 12.0 19

2007 134 1,962 14.6 22

2008 97 1,165 12.0 19

2007 134 1,962 14.6 22

On what grounds is Crabtree better known? Clarett rushed for 1,237 yards (a school record for a freshman) and scored 18 touchdowns. The kids had one of the best freshmen years for RB in history. In addition, he started in the National Championship game and scored the winning touchdown.

Clarett was very well-known...his play led Ohio State to the huge upset against Miami in the game Willis McGahee blew out his knee...OSU was a totally different team with him in the game, just as they had been all year...

Top 3 what?

You honestly believe Crabtree will be a top 3 overall pick in the 2010 draft?

No chance in hell. Maybe a late first rounder by some desperate team...(Chicago Bears?) . USC's Mike Williams ruined the "sit out a year" theory for any WR from now on.

Top 3 what?

You honestly believe Crabtree will be a top 3 overall pick in the 2010 draft?

No chance in hell. Maybe a late first rounder by some desperate team...(Chicago Bears?) . USC's Mike Williams ruined the "sit out a year" theory for any WR from now on.

Nooo, I meant he won't fall out of the 1st round, let alone the Top 3 rounds.

2008 97 1,165 12.0 19

2007 134 1,962 14.6 22

Ok. I understand the argument for Clarett, but he was not even a projected 1st round pick. Crabtree was named the #1 OVERALL PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. Clarett was not even Top 5 in his class, and 8 Running Backs went before him.

Clarett set a school record, that's it. He was not Freshman of The Year, at all and didn't win any awards or honors.

Look at Michael Crabtree's resume...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crabtree#Recognition

Enough said.

No, Mike Williams would have been a top 5 pick. Not Clarett, though, I grant you, but Clarett was well-known though not as good as the other two.

My opinion is that Crabtree is unbelievably STUPID. He will NEVER make up for that missed year.

100% correct....like he's gonna get picked higher than 10th next year? Say someone grabs him at 23 next year, he's gonna demand top 10 money?

Total idiot, and his agent is just plain stupid for allowing this to occur.

Do you have a link for that?

The amount of money he is asking for and the amount being offered is, IMO, very slight in NFL contract terms. He's giving up a full year of pay to get just a little more and hit FA a year later. I hope to God, for his sake, that this is just a bargaining tool. What team is going to risk taking him in the top 10 of next years draft after he pulls a stunt like this? The teams aren't going to be turned off by his money demands nearly as much as his prima donna attitude. JMO

The reasons for him not to do this go beyond the money he'd miss for this year. For one he'll be coming back after a full year of not playing football and there are more potential problems for him;

God forbid any of these things happen to him: he could have an injury that stops his career cold because he tore a muscle while working out, he could be in a car accident or in some freak accident in the house that causes him a career or time on the field next year which drops him even lower in the draft.

So did Al Davis...make a good decision?

I feel sick saying that, I need to go lie down.

;)

Maybe he is hoping Matt Millen gets another GM job...

:doh:

Mike Williams was not tops at his position either.

Crabtree blows him away.

Are you kidding? There was widespread speculation that he was passing up a chance at the Heisman by entering the draft. He was sixth in the Heisman voting his last year.

You're right that he might not have been tops at his position, because that was the year Fitzgerald was drafted, but Williams was being mentioned right in the same breath as Fitzgerald. And if Crabtree and Fitzgerald had come out in the same year, Crabtree wouldn't have been #1 either. Wait, Crabtree wasn't even #1 this year, never mind a year where he would have been competing with Fitzgerald.

Williams was drafted #10 after a complete year off, and that year off doubtless dropped him several spots.

"As a freshman in 2002, Williams had near All-America numbers: 81 catches for 1,265 yards and 14 touchdowns. The following year, it was 95 receptions for 1,314 yards and 16 touchdowns. Williams’ one-handed catch in the back of the end zone against Oregon State wore out SportsCenter viewers. Williams was an all-everything with two years of eligibility remaining."

"... the nation's most explosive and dynamic reciever..."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft0...yer%3fid%3d8922

Mel Kiper in a column on his ten worst evaluations: "10. 2005: Mike Williams, WR, USC -- No. 10 overall pick by the Detroit Lions

"I thought he was the best player in the 2005 draft."

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=244595

"There may not be a better physical specimen in the entire draft. ... As long as Williams duplicates the numbers he posted in workouts last year, he will be the first wide receiver off the board in this draft." Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospe...e_williams.html

Crabtree doesn't blow Williams away at all. Right out of college, they are very comparable.

I'm amazed you people who are speculating where Crabtree will go in next years draft actually believe he'll be in next year's draft. There is no way he's in next year's draft. He'll either sign with SF or he will be traded away by the 49ers at some point before the draft. We've seen guys miss a few games, McKinnie missed quite a few before the signing deadline but got it done, & of course we've seen Indianapolis give up on signing Bennett & trade him. We've even see guys sit out their whole rookie year, then sign or get traded in the offseason before the next draft.

There's 0% chance the 49ers will just throw the pick away. I guarantee he either signs or gets traded before next year's draft.

I'm amazed you people who are speculating where Crabtree will go in next years draft actually believe he'll be in next year's draft. There is no way he's in next year's draft. He'll either sign with SF or he will be traded away by the 49ers at some point before the draft. We've seen guys miss a few games, McKinnie missed quite a few before the signing deadline but got it done, & of course we've seen Indianapolis give up on signing Bennett & trade him. We've even see guys sit out their whole rookie year, then sign or get traded in the offseason before the next draft.

There's 0% chance the 49ers will just throw the pick away. I guarantee he either signs or gets traded before next year's draft.

Exactly. This is how negotiations are done.

"I'm going back into the draft."

"Well, go ahead."

And then a week later a contract is signed.

The people who believe him are probably the people who believed Jason Peters when he said he wasn't lowering his offer anymore. Hello, that's what you're supposed to say.

He'll sign this year, I have to believe Crabtree's smart enough to figure out, eventually, that that is simply his best option.

Are you kidding? There was widespread speculation that he was passing up a chance at the Heisman by entering the draft. He was sixth in the Heisman voting his last year.

You're right that he might not have been tops at his position, because that was the year Fitzgerald was drafted, but Williams was being mentioned right in the same breath as Fitzgerald. And if Crabtree and Fitzgerald had come out in the same year, Crabtree wouldn't have been #1 either. Wait, Crabtree wasn't even #1 this year, never mind a year where he would have been competing with Fitzgerald.

Williams was drafted #10 after a complete year off, and that year off doubtless dropped him several spots.

"As a freshman in 2002, Williams had near All-America numbers: 81 catches for 1,265 yards and 14 touchdowns. The following year, it was 95 receptions for 1,314 yards and 16 touchdowns. Williams’ one-handed catch in the back of the end zone against Oregon State wore out SportsCenter viewers. Williams was an all-everything with two years of eligibility remaining."

"... the nation's most explosive and dynamic reciever..."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft0...yer%3fid%3d8922

Mel Kiper in a column on his ten worst evaluations: "10. 2005: Mike Williams, WR, USC -- No. 10 overall pick by the Detroit Lions

"I thought he was the best player in the 2005 draft."

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=244595

"There may not be a better physical specimen in the entire draft. ... As long as Williams duplicates the numbers he posted in workouts last year, he will be the first wide receiver off the board in this draft." Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospe...e_williams.html

Crabtree doesn't blow Williams away at all. Right out of college, they are very comparable.

+1

I agree with all of the people here who believe it's a slim chance of him making it to next years draft but I don't believe another team will give into his contract demands and spend a high draft pick for him. Stranger things have happened and he's already shown himself to be pretty stupid on the contract negotiations.

Here's a great article that explains all of his options.

Well, alright, let's say the 49ers can't work out a deal that makes sense for them and he re-enters the draft. Crabtree cannot even being to talk to another team until the day of the draft, as per the CBA. So no combine, no pro day, no big workouts for NFL brass. No phone interviews with execs. Nothing. The 49ers control his rights until the 2010 draft. So, after missing the combine in 2009 due to injury, teams still wouldn't have recent measurables on him or know his 40 time. There would be no recent film on him.

[/quote

2-3 round. No way he gets picked in the first. Eugene Parkers career may have just ended.

Glad we didn't pick the fool.

Glad we didn't have the chance to pick him. Would love to say if he had been there, we would have passed, but...

He's losing a lot of money if he re-enters the draft next year. Maybe he just doesn't want to play in SF? Looks like the Niners may have righted the ship, so I don't get why he wouldn't want to play out there.

My guess is by this time he's let himself get out of shape and doesn't want to embarrass himself- situations like this make me wonder about performance incentives are they avoided by players or teams- if I thought I was better than the contract offer I'd say fine but if I make certain goals I want a bonus and a renegotiation of the contract.

The Michael Crabtree situation is THE EXACT REASON when the new labor contract is signed, rookies need to have little to no negotiating power since they are UNPROVEN ROOKIES!!

That money should go to established veterans, or to retired pros who could use the health insurance and or pension.

He'll lose Millions!

I agree with all of the people here who believe it's a slim chance of him making it to next years draft but I don't believe another team will give into his contract demands and spend a high draft pick for him. Stranger things have happened and he's already shown himself to be pretty stupid on the contract negotiations.

Here's a great article that explains all of his options.

Well, alright, let's say the 49ers can't work out a deal that makes sense for them and he re-enters the draft. Crabtree cannot even being to talk to another team until the day of the draft, as per the CBA. So no combine, no pro day, no big workouts for NFL brass. No phone interviews with execs. Nothing. The 49ers control his rights until the 2010 draft. So, after missing the combine in 2009 due to injury, teams still wouldn't have recent measurables on him or know his 40 time. There would be no recent film on him.

:doh: LMAO

This is a very poor bluff. He has no intentions of entering next year's draft---he wouldn't be drafted as high and wouldn't even come close to being offered the amount he's currently turning down.

If he's looking to maximize his payday, reentering the draft is the worst move he could make. His only chance at making big money is to sign with SF.

He needs a real agent--not the clown he has. This kid's brain injured.

Since there will be no salary cap next year he thinks. maybe rightfully so, that some team will draft him and pay the big money without needing to worry about salary cap ramifications.

I just think he's stupid and egotistical on a whole new level. You miss training camps as a ploy, not games. The 49ers now know he has no choice to sign with them unless he wants to lose a whole, whole lot of money. They have very little reason at this point to offer him the money they were previously.