Crabtree to re-enter draft

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, if I was the 49'ers I would be reducing his contract offer. With each day gone by, his contributions for this year will be little, and shrinkinge every Sunday

:thumbsup: agreed. San Fran has all the power. I would drastically reduce my offer each week- all below the slotted salary. Crabtree could be an instant multi-millionaire. Instead he chooses to be a punk ass B word

So if Crabtree were to enter next year's draft, what kind of compensation would the Niners receive? Anything?

nada. That is what Crabtree is foolishly counting on. I hope he suffers a career ending injury before signing his contract

True. It is all part of negotiations. Never go by what someone says but what actually happens in the end. SF has NO choice but to sign him or trade his rights away. Crabtree is not the idiot here. This system of signing top draft pick rookies is what is idiotic.

Its a bit of both, but cant say what he was offered was chump change.

True. It is all part of negotiations. Never go by what someone says but what actually happens in the end. SF has NO choice but to sign him or trade his rights away. Crabtree is not the idiot here. This system of signing top draft pick rookies is what is idiotic.

Maybe, maybe not. But the fact is, IF (and it's still a big IF) he decides to re-enter the draft, he will have given up MILLIONS of dollars THIS YEAR. He will NOT move up in the draft next year. He will have not played competitive football for well over a year by next April. By virtue of that alone his stock drops. By virtue of his holding out, his stock drops. So there is a better than even chance he gets drafted LOWER than #10 next April. Perhaps far lower if there is a perception among teams that he will once again demand to be paid higher than his slotted position suggests. If you were an owner, wouldn't YOU assume that based on current history? Maybe he's not an idiot but he's knocking on stupid's door based on everthing so far.

And you left out one of SF's OTHER options: to simply let him go back into the draft. They don't have to do anything but accept the fact that they've been unable to sign their #1 pick. As for the two options you mention 1.) It appears that they aren't going to give Crabtree what he's asking and 2.) I doubt anyone has made any offers to trade for him. Would you? Based on his actions so far? Why would a team WANT to have the same headache deliberately?

What if Crabtree gets hit by a car tomorrow or loses his ability to play between now and next April? I'm sure he's insured but it aint' for what he's willing to give up in signing an NFL contract a couple times. Especially if he performs well in his first deal. He's playing roullette and doesn't realize it. He's positively brilliant.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe he is thinking next year will be an uncapped year and someone like Dan Snyder will open the vault for him. Who knows, maybe someone (Dan Snyder) has already convinced him to wait it out, telling him that "all good things come to those who wait". But that being said, I think his threat to re-enter the draft is a negotiation ploy.

I agree with all of the people here who believe it's a slim chance of him making it to next years draft but I don't believe another team will give into his contract demands and spend a high draft pick for him. Stranger things have happened and he's already shown himself to be pretty stupid on the contract negotiations.

Here's a great article that explains all of his options.

Well, alright, let's say the 49ers can't work out a deal that makes sense for them and he re-enters the draft. Crabtree cannot even being to talk to another team until the day of the draft, as per the CBA. So no combine, no pro day, no big workouts for NFL brass. No phone interviews with execs. Nothing. The 49ers control his rights until the 2010 draft. So, after missing the combine in 2009 due to injury, teams still wouldn't have recent measurables on him or know his 40 time. There would be no recent film on him.

Interesting stuff, STEELY DAN. I didn't know that stuff from your last paragraph. Thanks.

:wallbash: agreed. San Fran has all the power. I would drastically reduce my offer each week- all below the slotted salary. Crabtree could be an instant multi-millionaire. Instead he chooses to be a punk ass B word

San Francisco's power has a deadline, draft day next year.

It's in S.F.'s interest to sign this guy, but not to pay too much money to do so. Or trade him, but you'd be trading from a position of weakness, which usually gets you very little in the way of value.

I doubt anyone has made any offers to trade for him. Would you? Based on his actions so far? Why would a team WANT to have the same headache deliberately?

If I needed a #1 receiver, like the Bears looked like they needed last night, I would look to trade for him.

Any team that needs a top receiver would want to trade for him.

Other than showing up a day before opening day to get his paycheck & already having a signed contract, off the field, what has Jason Peters done that is significantly different than Crabtree? The Eagles couldn't wait to give Peters a boatload of money & the Bills draft choices.

If you answer Peters was proven & Crabtree is unproven, what has Crabtree done differently than Corneilius Bennett did to Indy in 1987? Do you think Bill Polian, one of the all time great GMs, thought he was a headache? Polian sent 2 1s, a 2 and Greg Bell to deliberately acquire Indy's "headache"

Too many people in this thread are letting their emotions cloud their vision in what is totally a business decision by all parties involved. Eventually SF will sign or trade the guy because it is a sound business decision, and there will be receiver light teams knocking on their door once they realize that promising 4th rounder can't hold Crabtree's jock.

Just for accuracy's sake.

Say, aren't you a euro?

Yes, and proudly government insured for US$130,- per month which equals the very best available commercial insurance in the US (such as reconstructive plastic surgery and recovery support). The key is everyone pays the same, it's not linked to income, everyone pays mandatory, government becomes giant customer that is able to force clinics to lower their prices or else no clientele...

It works throughout Europe why wouldnt it work in the US, and why do you rather run the risk of going bankrupt then to be sure you get all medical care that you need even if you dont need it now.

I honestly fail to understand why there are so many people buying into the false accusations the opposition is feeding the public. Investigate a bit for yourself instead of blatently accepting the Fox News gibberish.

Also we are free to use private clinics or foreign clinics if we prefer to do so but that is only covered up to what the costs would be when the procedure is done here. Anyway, all I'm saying is it is a good thing if done well, if linked to income then I can understand people having an issue with it (we had that up till 4 years ago, which resulted into people getting preferential treatment, which isnt too bad if you are the one getting it but hardly fair if you need it in rougher times). However Obama has said that he like to copy the Dutch/Swiss system, which is based on an equal share for all.