Maybin holdout

nuklz2594

And he had some real competition at DE as a potential starter.

His agent is looking at Kelsay and Denney and telling him, don't worry Aaron if you sign the day before the season starts, you will get plenty of playing time...

Brown looking great in Carolina he could have been....

But good news, we DID get the next Ronnie Lott. Only he is hurt and YET to practice with the team. Maybe he is studying the playbook though!!!

Why, would we have drafted Brown #10 or #12? He's negotiating a four or five year contract. You don't worry about your first week's competition when negotiating your first contract, you just don't.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, would we have drafted Brown #10 or #12? He's negotiating a four or five year contract. You don't worry about your first week's competition when negotiating your first contract, you just don't.

Sure you do. If Brown was drafted where we could have gotten him, instread of Byrd, and he was in there kicking ass, it would be a far different situation. The agent would not have the same leverage as he does now.

Sure you do. If Brown was drafted where we could have gotten him, instread of Byrd, and he was in there kicking ass, it would be a far different situation. The agent would not have the same leverage as he does now.

My sense is that the Bills might try to defend themselves by saying that you and they have difference in drafting philosophy. They might describe your approach as yes being a correct assessment of individual player skills, but the difference is they are not simply drafting talented individuals but they are drafting a team.

What this means may be two things that speak to picking a player like Byrd when he is available.

1. Particularly for the early rounds where players like Maybin and Byrd were taken team need trumps the issue of contract leverage for an individual, As far as safety goes the Bills likely saw themselves as relatively thin at this key position in the Cover 2. Sure they could pick Brown and get good leverage at DE, but this likely leaves them with starting a player like Scott who surprised with his play last year, but the face he was a surprise to do as well as he did shows we are lacking the game breaker in the longer run we need there,

2, Also as far as DL goes we actually probably have full house even with the use of a rotation and McCargo disappointing so far. We're still a year away from declaring him a bust. If he sticks this pre-season we likely are cutting two players who made the roster last year (Ellis and Bryan).

Add into this the heavy Bills emphasis on ST and having another safety capable player is more likely to provide ST help than Brown or a DL type player and the desire to build a team pushes the admitted greater contract leverage fpr a talented individual down on the priority list.

I think this is actually sound thinking the Bills problem has not been the strategy but actually the implementation and not picking the right team overall.

My sense is that the Bills might try to defend themselves by saying that you and they have difference in drafting philosophy. They might describe your approach as yes being a correct assessment of individual player skills, but the difference is they are not simply drafting talented individuals but they are drafting a team.

What this means may be two things that speak to picking a player like Byrd when he is available.

1. Particularly for the early rounds where players like Maybin and Byrd were taken team need trumps the issue of contract leverage for an individual, As far as safety goes the Bills likely saw themselves as relatively thin at this key position in the Cover 2. Sure they could pick Brown and get good leverage at DE, but this likely leaves them with starting a player like Scott who surprised with his play last year, but the face he was a surprise to do as well as he did shows we are lacking the game breaker in the longer run we need there,

2, Also as far as DL goes we actually probably have full house even with the use of a rotation and McCargo disappointing so far. We're still a year away from declaring him a bust. If he sticks this pre-season we likely are cutting two players who made the roster last year (Ellis and Bryan).

Add into this the heavy Bills emphasis on ST and having another safety capable player is more likely to provide ST help than Brown or a DL type player and the desire to build a team pushes the admitted greater contract leverage fpr a talented individual down on the priority list.

I think this is actually sound thinking the Bills problem has not been the strategy but actually the implementation and not picking the right team overall.

I guess I also disagree that the "team need" for another safety was greater than the "team need" to replace almost all of our DEs, especially Kelsay and Ellis but also Denny and Shobel. So in my book, from a contract leverage, from a "team need", and yes, from a "best available player" Brown was the better choice all around. Lets face it Fewell had a personal connection to the kid Byrd, and he IS a db so Fewell was able to sell the bill of goods to Mauron. Time will tell who is the better player, Byrd or Brown, but, from a drafting standpoint Brown was better by every criteria.

PS.....I am FRUSTRATED to........I dont understand what the hold up is.

He has a DORK for an agent and he is too stupid to see the disservice his agent is giving him. Looks like the Bills need to start looking at who the agent is as well as skills. This guy had ONE good season in college and is holding out thinking he is a Bruce Smith or something. The NFL needs a rookie cap !!!

I was quite shocked that we did not take Brown when he dropped into the second round. Based upon our lackluster corps of d-ends, I thought for sure we would grab him. I am a big FSU fan and have had an opportunity to watch Brown on numerous occasions and believe that this guy is the real deal at end. No surprise that he is making an impression in Carolina.

When I heard the selection of Byrd, I nearly fell out of my lawn chair in the parking lot at "The Ralph"....then again, I did have a few beers that day... :rolleyes:

What sucks is the company he's keeping.

Andre Smith and Michael Crabtree are two guys I would not want on my team - ever.

The longer Maybin holds out - and he is now officially holding out IMHO - the bigger A-hole he becomes in my book.

What? They're "haggling" over a million or two? WTF. Get real. If you think you're worth it - show it. It's not like you'll never get another big pay day.

Two of the three remaining hold outs are mental cases - in my view.

Sorry to see Maybin behaving like them. 29 other first rounders have signed decent contracts and are contributing to their teams and have started their NFL careers. Maybin's in bad company and The Bills don't deserve the shaft they're getting from this guy and his agent.

I find it odd that only people on the message boards are asking when he will sign.

It makes me think that he is a second thought.....the important guys are here.....Wood and Levitre. Maybin really isn't that important to the Bills this year. And I think he becomes less important the more practices he misses. Right now, he will play in passing situations as a rushing DE. But even then, it won't be in every passing situation.

Too bad the Bills cannot make the first year of his contract heavily dependent on incentives.

I think all 1st rd picks should have the incentives in their contracts. If they are as good as they think they are (Maybin) their should be no problem.

And, look at the other two wads that are holding out. They're both mental cases.

What's Maybin proving? What's he going to get - an extra 500k guaranteed?

He's so far behind the learning curve right now he's going to look like a jackass when he gets on the field.

I was never keen on The Bills picking this kid to begin with.

He's got HGH workout warrior written all over him.

It's going to be quite a while after he dons the Blue, White and Red that I'm going to genuinely rooting specifically for Him. I'd say that point would come after his 10th sack and second forced fumble. That could take years at this rate.

It`s clear that Crabtree and Maybin are Butt buddies right now. Them and their agents. Stick together for this ride and we will come out rich, Crabtree wants # 3 or 4 money . This is were I should have been picked WHAH. But you weren`t . So now Mr. Money bags Maybin thinks he`s worth 4 or 5 money . Get Real . Like I said before his sacks were mostly chase, coverage sacks against bad teams. Costal Carolina and such. We Are Penn. ST. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: First off Jason Peters is NOT a pro bowl caliber LT and he should have never even made the pro bowl in the first place. Second off, It was really obvious that he didn't want to be here so why keep a guy who we gave a tremendous oppurtunity too that many other teams wouldn't have done, I mean come on the guy was a TE coming out of college, He should be thankful for the oppurtuntiy that he got. And since he wasn't that just goes to show how much of a scumbag this guy was. And thirdly, Maybin will be signed within the next 12 hours which I think is tremendous. He still has 3 preseason games to play in and I'm sure he will get plenty of reps before the season starts so he is ready to get us 5-8 sacks this year which will definitly help our Defense out

Actually, Maybin may see more preseason action than Peters...

Two Eagles starters were injured in a 27-25 preseason loss to the New England Patriots, with both coming in areas where the team is especially thin. But since tackle Jason Peters' quadriceps sprain and tight end Brent Celek's separated shoulder came just moments before it was announced the Eagles had signed Vick, the ill-timed injuries became secondary.

The Eagles were already thin along the offensive line, but Peters' latest setback has four of the five projected starters out of the lineup.

link

This opinion now seems amazingly prescient regarding the Eagles' entire FatBoy fiasco...

Is Jason Peters an Upgrade for the Eagles?

Looks like a big win for Ralph/Russ/DJ and the Bills front office - clearly they saw ahead that Peters play would decline as his attitude worsened, and now the Eagles can deal with that overpaid jackass.

You act like Jauron got his extension after a 3rd consecutive 7-9 season. Get your facts right. He signed the extension when we were 5-1, right before we lost to the Dolphins. Jauron was in the last year of his contract, the team was winning, the fan base was excited. It seemed like a very natural time to sign him to an extension. No one could have anticipated how the season would deteriorate like it did. Oh except YOU, and every other team but the Bengals.

So after signing him to an extension you expected the FO to fire him? And then have to pay him for the entirety of the contract? Which would have meant someone like Bobby April would have been our coach for two years to absorb the blow of Dick's contract. Are you insane? It's tough even dealing with fans like you that just spew negativity, when you have such little knowledge of which you speak.

Really? No one could have seen that the Bills, who were winning in the 4th Q against suspects teams, might not make the playoffs?

Maybe you're missing the point that it was imprudent to resign a career loser like DJ before the season played out. It is laughable to consider that The FO had convinced poor Ralph that if the Bills made the playoffs, that DJ would become a super-hot commoditiy and there would be a league-wide bidding war for his services and therefore we had to "lock him up now--cheap".

I find it odd that only people on the message boards are asking when he will sign.

It makes me think that he is a second thought.....the important guys are here.....Wood and Levitre. Maybin really isn't that important to the Bills this year. And I think he becomes less important the more practices he misses. Right now, he will play in passing situations as a rushing DE. But even then, it won't be in every passing situation.

Too bad the Bills cannot make the first year of his contract heavily dependent on incentives.

Not im portant???

CHRIS FREAKIN KELSAY

I think Maybin is kind of important too....

He has a DORK for an agent and he is too stupid to see the disservice his agent is giving him. Looks like the Bills need to start looking at who the agent is as well as skills. This guy had ONE good season in college and is holding out thinking he is a Bruce Smith or something. The NFL needs a rookie cap !!!

Could not agree more. I don't condone Crabtree's holdout, but at least the guy dominated the college level for the 2 years he played. The problem lies in Maybin and his agent thinking their situation has anything to do with Crabtree's. If the 1st round was structured like free agency, Crabtree most likely would have commanded a lot more money than Maybin. Take a little more than Orakpo and what McKelvin got, be happy cause that's way more than a guy who is all about upside is worth, and start playing football.

Read "Lords or the Realm." Its about the history of Baseball and labor. All it takes is one Al Davis/Haywood-Bey and it is off to the races. I would want all the money i could make given the circumstances as they are, and teams have little leverage when it comes to the draft picks. It is insane when rookies make more than proven vets. Insane! There needs to be a realistic system in place that makes these guys earn their dime.

Depends on the rookie and the proven vet.

Who do you want on your team, rookie Aaron Curry or proven vet Coy Wire?

Rookie Jason Smith or proven vet Dennis Roland (Bengals 2nd stringer)?

You know what I mean. The kids at the top of the college class deserve a lot of money. But yeah, there should be some kind of rookie cap to keep things from getting too ridiculous.

Your logic is flawed. As much as Dick trys, you just cant field a Defense of 11 DBs, it just wont work.

You know what I mean. The kids at the top of the college class deserve a lot of money. But yeah, there should be some kind of rookie cap to keep things from getting too ridiculous.

Coy Wire, a proven vet? Sanchez will make more than Brady under their latest contracts. You would call Tom Brady a proven vet, wouldn't you?

Can we trade him without signing him? I never liked the pick anyway. Seems like a better fit for a 3-4 OLB position to me.

Aha! That's Dick's plan for next year! He's sick of going 0 for in the division against the 3-4 defense and might as well "join them".

PS Maybin is awesome off the line, the quickest burst in the draft. He's a keeper.

wow, so you like to argue for arguements sake? I mean really.

It is crazy when Jake Long gets to be the highest paid offensive lineman before he has ever played a down. How someone played in college is relevant, but for each position i am sure we could give an example of a guy who was thought to be a 'lock' all pro, and busted out.

Haveing said all that i am not mad at Maybin, how many of us would go to work with out compensation, get injured and be unable to perform, and then get sent home. All with out getting a penny. The owners and players assoc. have to fix this problem once and for all.

Can we trade him without signing him? I never liked the pick anyway. Seems like a better fit for a 3-4 OLB position to me.

My sons friend just walked in. He has seen maybin a few times ,last time was i n early june at the waffle house in State Colledge. Apparantly he had classes with his girlfriend. Anyway he swears this dude is small and is not even 6-3 . My sons friend is Almost 6-3 and he says Maybin is shorter than him. He says he has a decent size chect and arms no bigger than my sons. Although my son at 5-11 190 does lift alot.. He just cannot believe this guy is a 1st rd pick at De or LB with his size. Time will tell. :thumbsup:

20 first rounders unsigned, no problem

15 first rounders unsigned, no problem

10 first rounders unsigned, beginning to be a problem

5 first rounders unsigned, problem

3 first rounders unsigned, problem

Whether it's the FO, Maybin or Maybin's people the guy has missed a bunch of camp. I suppose if all he is going to be assigned to do is rush the passer then not really a big deal, but we're probably not going to get much more than that from him.

Has the team put thoughts of having him play in a 2 point stance (if they really planned that) been shelved for this year?

My sons friend just walked in. He has seen maybin a few times ,last time was i n early june at the waffle house in State Colledge. Apparantly he had classes with his girlfriend. Anyway he swears this dude is small and is not even 6-3 . My sons friend is Almost 6-3 and he says Maybin is shorter than him. He says he has a decent size chect and arms no bigger than my sons. Although my son at 5-11 190 does lift alot.. He just cannot believe this guy is a 1st rd pick at De or LB with his size. Time will tell. :wallbash:

Guess your son didn't watch Bruce Smith's Hall of Fame Speech..... :thumbsup:

How many of these numb-nuts threads have their been?

1. Maybin is not holding out. He and the Bills have yet to agree on a contract. BIG difference.

2. Maybin won't be getting more money than his draft position deserves.

3. Maybin is likely to play in three preseason games (two at the least). Fairly typical for a player drafted toward the front end of the first round.

But I'm sure the sky MUST be falling.

Could not agree more. I don't condone Crabtree's holdout, but at least the guy dominated the college level for the 2 years he played. The problem lies in Maybin and his agent thinking their situation has anything to do with Crabtree's. If the 1st round was structured like free agency, Crabtree most likely would have commanded a lot more money than Maybin. Take a little more than Orakpo and what McKelvin got, be happy cause that's way more than a guy who is all about upside is worth, and start playing football.

He also suffered a foot injury which many players never fully recover from, especially receivers.

1. Maybin is not holding out. He and the Bills have yet to agree on a contract. BIG difference.

The sky is most assuredly not falling, but to consider that the difference between a hold out and an unsigned rookie is BIG is silly.

He aint there however you define the circumstances.

2. Maybin won't be getting more money than his draft position deserves.

3. Maybin is likely to play in three preseason games (two at the least). Fairly typical for a player drafted toward the front end of the first round.

Dean,

I am kinda getting frustrated as well at this point......if they have a figure that he is in the ball park with all of the signings around the 11 position except for Crabtree.......what is the hold up.

My mind wanders to either

- The bills are offering less then they should

or

- Maybins agent is being stupid

The sky is most assuredly not falling, but to consider that the difference between a hold out and an unsigned rookie is BIG is silly.

He aint there however you define the circumstances.

Holding out means a player, under contract, is refusing to come to work (because he wants a bigger contract). In this case, the player is the one who is shirking his contractual obligation.

In the case of an unsigned draft pick, there can be no holdout because there is no job for the player to come to. We don't know which side is holding up the deal, or for what reasons.

If the major holdup is strictly monetary, the difference is somewhere around $500,000, maybe $1 Million. They will eventually just split the difference...no? But it could be about how the payments are structured.

According to a radio report I heard down here, the Jags were close to signing Monroe a week or so ago, with the guaranteed money at $19 Million. But somehow, because the way the contract and payments were structured, the guaranteed money was REALLY $16 million. That pissed off the agent, and the deal went sour. They finally signed Monroe to a deal at $19 guaranteed (actually a bit low for that spot). Now, I don't know if the report is true, but the source sounded pretty confident of the info.

Most reports are Maybin is very close to signing. I have yet to hear reports of animosity between the sides. I'm guessing Segal has been a little busy with Vick, and is probably getting down to the nuts-and-bolts of the Maybin deal now.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Dean,

I am kinda getting frustrated as well at this point......if they have a figure that he is in the ball park with all of the signings around the 11 position except for Crabtree.......what is the hold up.

My mind wanders to either

- The bills are offering less then they should

or

- Maybins agent is being stupid

Exactly What is the hold up ???MONEY. Lots& Lots of MONEY> :thumbsup: