Another one bites the dust...

rockpile

Well, deja vu all over again. I was laid of in January 2006, and was luckily back to work by April. It was supposed to be contract to hire, but I guess the economy did not follow that pattern.

Besides taking a pay cut, the contract benefits sucked, but it was a paycheck and interesting work. I really did NOT see this coming since they were signing me up for training classes and I was involved in several key projects. Too bad these days quality engineers are considered 'overhead'.

I heard they had cut some temps early today, and something told me to pack my personal things in my brief case. So at about 3pm today the division manager says he would like to have a word with me. My boss works out of town Thursday and Friday, or she would have had to tell me.

Merry Christmas to me.

The wife left for NY city this morning for a weekend with the girls. Now I have to figure out how to tell her Sunday night I do not have a job to go to Monday. No sense telling her now when she calls to check in - she has been looking forward to this weekend for a long time.

This time I do not have a sweet severance package either. I did not get to say seeya to anyone. At least I know I was doing MY best, but corporate said cut all the temps.

Am I pissed? Yeah, but I will land on my feet and be pounding on doors by Monday.

God will not give me a load I cannot carry.

Really sorry to hear that. Yes, save telling the wife until Sunday. Then, enjoy yourself for a few days. Maybe the door pounding can wait until Wednesday or Thursday...or NEXT Monday.

As you already know, you will land on your feet.

Sorry to hear that Rock... Hang in there.

My neighbor just got laid off too... He is a corporate tax accountant (the one I talked about in PPP where his company owner sends out multi-page treatises about how everyone in the company is expected to vote Republican)... :P

He did get a nice severence package through that will carry him through.

Really sorry to hear it Tom.

Scott/Mods -- any thought to maybe having a Jobs forum where people who are looking for work could post a resume (minus personal info), and people whose companies are hiring or know of others who are can provide some leads? It might only be practical for those in the Buffalo area given the concentration of posters, but there are a lot of people here so it would nice to figure out how to help some fellow community members. Just a thought.

Really sorry to hear it Tom.

Scott/Mods -- any thought to maybe having a Jobs forum where people who are looking for work could post a resume (minus personal info), and people whose companies are hiring or know of others who are can provide some leads? It might only be practical for those in the Buffalo area given the concentration of posters, but there are a lot of people here so it would nice to figure out how to help some fellow community members. Just a thought.

I think that is a good idea. Especially during these hard times.

I'm getting laid off too. Dec 28 is my last day of work at one of my companys that I work for. Lay off talk started at my other job but I might have found another job which starts after the new year.

I try to keep a couple of "irons hot" just in case one cools.

I'm getting laid off too. Dec 28 is my last day of work at one of my companys that I work for. Lay off talk started at my other job but I might have found another job which starts after the new year.

I try to keep a couple of "irons hot" just in case one cools.

Sorry to hear about the loss of work Hammer.

Of course, a parking lot magnate, like yourself, doesn't really need to work. Right?

I feel for you, my company where i had been for 3.5 years went under a couple months ago, I was very fortunate to find a new job after only being unemployed for a month, but being laid off in this economy is definitely a scary thing. Just keep your head up, put your resume out there, and dont turn down any interviews no matter what the job. Even if the role isn't something your in love with its good to make connections and stay sharp by going on as many interviews as possible.

Well, deja vu all over again. I was laid of in January 2006, and was luckily back to work by April. It was supposed to be contract to hire, but I guess the economy did not follow that pattern.

Besides taking a pay cut, the contract benefits sucked, but it was a paycheck and interesting work. I really did NOT see this coming since they were signing me up for training classes and I was involved in several key projects. Too bad these days quality engineers are considered 'overhead'.

I heard they had cut some temps early today, and something told me to pack my personal things in my brief case. So at about 3pm today the division manager says he would like to have a word with me. My boss works out of town Thursday and Friday, or she would have had to tell me.

Merry Christmas to me.

The wife left for NY city this morning for a weekend with the girls. Now I have to figure out how to tell her Sunday night I do not have a job to go to Monday. No sense telling her now when she calls to check in - she has been looking forward to this weekend for a long time.

This time I do not have a sweet severance package either. I did not get to say seeya to anyone. At least I know I was doing MY best, but corporate said cut all the temps.

Am I pissed? Yeah, but I will land on my feet and be pounding on doors by Monday.

Tough situation. I pray the best for you and your fam. Atleast you have a good attitude. We're working 70 hours a week here at Honeywell right now, but none of us know what's going to happen after the first of the year. I leave my faith in God for that. The Word says, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose." Romans Chap. 8 v. 28. I believe that there is something better in store for you sir. :)

Rock -

As many know, the same happened to me. I was laid off on Nov 3. I had a new job on Nov 13 and started last week. The job market sucks, but for those that have a good head on their shoulders (and from your posts and reputation, I know you do) the right thing will come along. I was really proud how my family was able to "tighten our belts" for the month of November and we spent significantly less than some previous months - and we even did some "cash" Christmas shopping. The moral of the story (and I know this is the holiday season) - live on less than you are used to. It will make you appreciate things all the more. Best of luck bro...

Merry Christmas to me.

Amen on that last line. Keep the faith, Tom!

Absolutely true. But sometimes we wish that God didn't have quite as much faith in us.

Been through this 5 times in my life - the first time was when I had to leave WNY to find work.

I'll pray for you. I know you have the love and support of your amazing family and you'll be fine.

Merry Christmas to me.

I am also sorry about your news. Check with your Sabres.... maybe they need help on game nights. Ushers,ticket takers, ticket sellers etc.

Merry Christmas to me.

I just got my walking papers at 2:53 pm today Rockpile, I know how you feel about it being unexpected. I had 6 people working under me and now 4 of em get to go to work tomorrow and I don't. :blink: I trained them for Chrissakes! I guess in todays economy nobody is safe. :angry:

I am also sorry about your news. Check with your Sabres.... maybe they need help on game nights. Ushers,ticket takers, ticket sellers etc.

The guy is an engineer, I am sure getting paid $10/hr for being an usher is going to pay the bills . Use your head before you post will ya? He would be better off collecting unemployment.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I have been busy updating my on line resumes and LinkedIn information. I really do hate not having a job. Christmas and New Years slowed things down, which was OK, but I cannot live on unemployment. Yes, I can drop cable, cancel the cell phone, even kill internet service. But I need to pay the mortgage, eat, have heat & light, and health insurance. My MS meds exceed $3K a month without insurance.

I have had two interviews with a small manufacturing firm that has been around for 20 years and will have an answer by Friday whether or not I have the job. It seems like a very good fit between what they need and what I want.

I really *aced* the second interview today. We talked and toured the plant and things were quite amicable. First time I left an interview and felt liked I asked alll the right questions and provided all the right answers. At this point I am interviewing them too, since I do NOT want to go to a job just for a paycheck (yet). This can be a challenge and I can pretty much build a new process to boost quality and customer satisfaction.

I will leave further speculaltion at that so I do not jinx things.

Wish me luck! If it is right, it will happen.

Tanstaafl,

Rock :wallbash: pile

Reading the entire thread, may I also wish the best of luck to the others who have gotten the ax. I know how you feel. Remember - life is a carnival.

Recommended reading: Guerilla Marketing For Job Hunters available at the library for free.

Update:

I have been busy updating my on line resumes and LinkedIn information. I really do hate not having a job. Christmas and New Years slowed things down, which was OK, but I cannot live on unemployment. Yes, I can drop cable, cancel the cell phone, even kill internet service. But I need to pay the mortgage, eat, have heat & light, and health insurance. My MS meds exceed $3K a month without insurance.

I have had two interviews with a small manufacturing firm that has been around for 20 years and will have an answer by Friday whether or not I have the job. It seems like a very good fit between what they need and what I want.

I really *aced* the second interview today. We talked and toured the plant and things were quite amicable. First time I left an interview and felt liked I asked alll the right questions and provided all the right answers. At this point I am interviewing them too, since I do NOT want to go to a job just for a paycheck (yet). This can be a challenge and I can pretty much build a new process to boost quality and customer satisfaction.

I will leave further speculaltion at that so I do not jinx things.

Wish me luck! If it is right, it will happen.

Tanstaafl,

Rock :thumbsup: pile

Good luck Rock!!!!!