O’Cyrus Torrence praise

Torrence was the guy I wanted before last draft. I was delighted he fell to us in the second round. 

For a rookie, he looked really good. And I think having a solid RG helped Spencer Brown as the season went on and communication between the two got better. They were beaten on stunts a fair amount, especially early on in the season. 

I think more reps with Brown will make them pretty solid for this year. 

• Agree 7

Seems like they learned by taking VPG this year.

Center only, but a darn good one who slid due to lack of position flex.

Can’t have all guys like that on the OL, but if they’re starter caliber, you have a potential need & your depth has flex, there’s some steals to be had on the OL. 

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, HOUSE said:

But this is a guard :doh:

They get paid more than centers now.. it's tougher to play guard in the modern NFL than center 

They physically take on more one-on-one blocks... Center gets more combination blocks and there are very few physically imposing zero techs who play that technique every snap 

Guards take on dominant three techniques one-on-one

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Torrence was the guy I wanted before last draft. I was delighted he fell to us in the second round. 

For a rookie, he looked really good. And I think having a solid RG helped Spencer Brown as the season went on and communication between the two got better. They were beaten on stunts a fair amount, especially early on in the season. 

I think more reps with Brown will make them pretty solid for this year. 

That is me 100%. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I very rarely... Will make a thread dedicated to a guard 

But after drafting this mountain of a man last season... And him playing every single snap last season 

Read that again... Every single snap last season... The only Buffalo Bill to do so 

I had to go back and rewatch... O'Cyrus

Now it's typical for any rookie lineman have ups and downs... They ebb and flow 

But the size and power with the short area burst he displayed was excellent... People talk about some right guards playing in a phone booth... Because the condensed area and need for quickness 

But he is the phone booth... A true old school Right guard... Who is thick enough to anchor yet has hands that counter hard

He looks every bit like a multiple Time pro bowler who will be able to move the LoS in a game of inches

The bills nailed their top two picks last season but in a league with a shortage of great lineman 

This pic hits as an A++

It was insane to me that he was available at the end of Round 2. He was a 1st Round talent, one that was discussed at length as possibly being our 1st selection. I know Guard is a slightly devalued position, but his floor was as a pick at the top of Round 2. Absolute steal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I very rarely... Will make a thread dedicated to a guard 

But after drafting this mountain of a man last season... And him playing every single snap last season 

Read that again... Every single snap last season... The only Buffalo Bill to do so 

I had to go back and rewatch... O'Cyrus

Now it's typical for any rookie lineman have ups and downs... They ebb and flow 

But the size and power with the short area burst he displayed was excellent... People talk about some right guards playing in a phone booth... Because the condensed area and need for quickness 

But he is the phone booth... A true old school Right guard... Who is thick enough to anchor yet has hands that counter hard

He looks every bit like a multiple Time pro bowler who will be able to move the LoS in a game of inches

The bills nailed their top two picks last season but in a league with a shortage of great lineman 

This pic hits as an A++

Yes! 

Absolute steal  

Future All Pro!

• Like (+1) 1

Great post Buffalo716!

Give this man his credit.  The crazy thing is that he will continue to develop and get better each year.  I could see him as a pro-bowl player sooner than later.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

Great post Buffalo716!

Give this man his credit.  The crazy thing is that he will continue to develop and get better each year.  I could see him as a pro-bowl player sooner than later.

He's gonna absolutely be considered one of the best guards in football within a few seasons 

With a little bit of seasoning... The sky is the limit with his strength 

I think injury is the only thing that could stop the Bills from having an outstanding offensive line this season, and they are probably better prepared to deal with injury than last season.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's gonna absolutely be considered one of the best guards in football within a few seasons 

With a little bit of seasoning... The sky is the limit with his strength 

I thought for sure there would be many teams who took interior offensive linemen ahead of Torrence in round 2 that would regret not taking Torrence. But the interior offensive line class of 2023 was insanely stacked at least on the early returns. 

The following IOL players were taken before Torrence

1. Steve Avila (Rams)
  2. Matthew Bergeron (Falcons)
  3. Joe Tippman (Jets)
  4. Cody Mauch (Bucs)
  5. John Michael Schmitz (Giants)

Four out of Five of those players had really strong rookie seasons. Only John Michael Schmitz from the Giants had a "bad" rookie year. And to show you how insane that second round was Juice Scruggs was drafted 3 picks after Torrence and he had a good rookie year as well. 

That's 6 IOL out of 7 selected in round 2 having strong rookie seasons. And even the lone outlier John Michael Schmitz was a very strong prospect and can easily turn it around. We could be look at 6-7 starting caliber to All-Pro caliber IOL drafted in a single round. As a reference just two IOL players were drafted this past draft (Powers Johnson and Frazier) so just 7 being drafted is pretty high. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 5