Tua holding out?

17 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Flores last two years he was 10-6 and 9-8

McDaniels is  9-8 and 11-6

dude added Tyreek hill, and won one more game over two years. 

One could also argue that McDaniel was given much longer reins, and Flores had been set up to fail.

On 5/17/2024 at 10:56 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Dumb for him to hold out. I'm sure Miami's FO really doesnt want to give him $50-60M/year.

Maybe that's the issue. The offers from the Dolphins are lower than he expected.

If I were the Dolphins, I'd let him walk. But as a Bills fan I hope he gets himself a big contract there.

I will give you reasons why its not dumb

#1.. One more injury away

#2 Leverage 

#3 his value goes down do to performance.

#4 Another QB gets signed lower than what he wanted $ wise with same talent. 

#5 Their star WR's get injured or their line badly injured and in doing so his stats severely drop

i could continue but uh... you have gotten grilled enough on your post :D

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Flores last two years he was 10-6 and 9-8

McDaniels is  9-8 and 11-6

dude added Tyreek hill, and won one more game over two years. 

But the media has told me McDorkelglasses is the smartest most bestess coach in the league and all teams should just forfeit games to his coaching awesomeness. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2

20 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Tua is a great kid and has shown that he can stay healthy over a full season.  I hope he gets a long term deal mostly because he’s just not good enough to win in a division with Josh and a conference with 5 superior QBs.(Burrow, Mahomes, Josh, Herbert and Lawrence) He’s also not great in cold playoff venues. If Miami is keen on breaking through, they should trade Tua to a team  in the NFC and try and get a young stud in the draft while their great receivers are still young.

Well, last season at least.  He's a concussion concern going forward regardless and tying-up almost $200M in guaranteed money isn't what they want to do, or should do.  I've heard that they want series of bonuses to hedge their bets, but I doubt Tua/his agent will agree.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well, last season at least.  He's a concussion concern going forward regardless and tying-up almost $200M in guaranteed money isn't what they want to do, or should do.  I've heard that they want series of bonuses to hedge their bets, but I doubt Tua/his agent will agree.

Do you think he can take a team all the way? If they have a killer defense and an  O-line that protects and opens holes, I guess he competes, but they’re nowhere near that profile, especially after the losses on their D-line.

44 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Do you think he can take a team all the way? If they have a killer defense and an  O-line that protects and opens holes, I guess he competes, but they’re nowhere near that profile, especially after the losses on their D-line.

No. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

But the media has told me McDorkelglasses is the smartest most bestess coach in the league and all teams should just forfeit games to his coaching awesomeness. 

Its very funny how much McD eats his lunch every time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

The Miami game at the end of the year showed he’s just isn’t there yet. Dude coaches a good offense but that team didn’t look confident going into that game. The week before the had a chance to get the number one seed in Baltimore and not only did they lose, but they got embarrassed. 

Dude can’t close. If they can’t win the division when they had a 3 game lead with 5 to go, they aren’t going to win anything 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I listen and read all the hype and marketing and then make educated decisions or guesses based on info available.   

looking at at this schedule I see a 12-5 or 11-6 team.   Last year Diggs was all media hype and drama-see ya!   Davis the drop king-see ya.  Easily replaced.  I believe the Rockpile review spoke about receivers like running backs.  I agree to a large extent.  Like all elite athletes their “eliteness” makes a true difference at certain moments.  Many times those moments don’t mean Sh$t for a ring. Just ask Sanders.  

Somebody else mentioned that our season goes as Brady goes.  I agree a lot with this.  He needs to manage the game and take well placed big plays-with Allen maybe more than expected which is ok-because of Allen.  

i expect-say-demand big things from our rookies. They were hand picked as this draft was different.   I also expect more from coaching and GM-because this draft was different! 

go Bills!

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I will give you reasons why its not dumb

#1.. One more injury away

#2 Leverage 

#3 his value goes down do to performance.

#4 Another QB gets signed lower than what he wanted $ wise with same talent. 

#5 Their star WR's get injured or their line badly injured and in doing so his stats severely drop

i could continue but uh... you have gotten grilled enough on your post :D

Those are all reasons he should sign whatever deal Miami has offered him.

Tua is dumb if he plays this year without a new deal. But if he sits out and Miami lets him walk, his value wont be great either.

Just make a deal already.

• Disagree 1

The interesting thing about Tua is how it can be both bad to sign and to not sign him. On one hand you have the Dolphins paying him in the 50-55 million range and you have a good, not great, QB that isn't likely to get you very far in the postseason. On the other hand you let him walk and you can easily do worse and you blow and chance of having a successful team (who knows they could hit on a draft pick but you can do worse than Tua)

10 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The Miami game at the end of the year showed he’s just isn’t there yet. Dude coaches a good offense but that team didn’t look confident going into that game. The week before the had a chance to get the number one seed in Baltimore and not only did they lose, but they got embarrassed. 

Dude can’t close. If they can’t win the division when they had a 3 game lead with 5 to go, they aren’t going to win anything 

That's where I am. Here was *my* takeaway from that game:

That little pop handoff with Mostert and Achane in the backfield was a brilliant wrinkle because it allowed Tua to read and react to see which RB had the lane while effectively acting as a draw play. With the Bills forced to contain Hill it was devastatingly effective.

And then in the second half he didn't use it. It's not that the Bills got out to a massive lead or had a foolproof solution (IIRC the counter was shooting the backfield to make contact early despite the risk). They started having Tua sling it with Waddle out and Hill injured (and had aggravated it on a touchdown celebration)

The first part makes him one of the better OCs in the league. The second is a major issue as a head Coach: lack of grit, inability to see the entire game plan instead of his area and being unable to manage trouble players.

3 hours ago, dma0034 said:

The interesting thing about Tua is how it can be both bad to sign and to not sign him. On one hand you have the Dolphins paying him in the 50-55 million range and you have a good, not great, QB that isn't likely to get you very far in the postseason. On the other hand you let him walk and you can easily do worse and you blow and chance of having a successful team (who knows they could hit on a draft pick but you can do worse than Tua)

On 5/18/2024 at 4:02 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

What great season?  They choked big time against Tennessee on Monday night which opened the door for us.  And then we slammed the door on the final Sunday night of the season.  Tua led the Fish to all of 14 pts against us at home.  And threw a nice pick late.  And then he was frozen out in KC.  He had a good season.  But comes up small against good teams.  

I think it would be funny if the Fish were like this is our best deal, take it or leave it.  Its a team game.  Their roster is always too top heavy.  And their O line has been pretty bad at times.  Beane isn't playing that game anymore.  Got rid of Diggs.  Made Von take a pay cut.  Defense is all on reasonable deals.  Only #17 should break the bank.  And he will always take a team friendly deal, because he is about winning first and foremost.  

He did lead the league in passing yards... 5th in TDs, 3rd in comp% for full season starters, top 5 in sack %, 2nd in NFL in Y/A, NY/A, ANY/A.  Their offense was tops in the league in yards and 2nd in points.  

The other 2 guys in his class each received 50+ million.  Burrow went to a super bowl yes, but he's actually missed more games than Tua, and makes 55M AAV.  Herberts AAV is 52.5M on his new deal, he's also never won a playoff game, and the actual team has a losing record in games he's started.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He did lead the league in passing yards... 5th in TDs, 3rd in comp% for full season starters, top 5 in sack %, 2nd in NFL in Y/A, NY/A, ANY/A.  Their offense was tops in the league in yards and 2nd in points.  

The other 2 guys in his class each received 50+ million.  Burrow went to a super bowl yes, but he's actually missed more games than Tua, and makes 55M AAV.  Herberts AAV is 52.5M on his new deal, he's also never won a playoff game, and the actual team has a losing record in games he's started.  

Unfortunately for Tua, in that offense full of explosive toys most of his impressive stats were compiled in a single game against the Broncos and the rest in Sept and Oct against non winning teams

Tua is a good QB in that offense in good weather against average teams, that’s who he is.

39 minutes ago, julian said:

Unfortunately for Tua, in that offense full of explosive toys most of his impressive stats were compiled in a single game against the Broncos and the rest in Sept and Oct against non winning teams

Tua is a good QB in that offense in good weather against average teams, that’s who he is.

I looked it up and sure enough he fell off after the first half of the season. First 8 games 18 TDs, 7 INTs, 11 sacks. Games 9-16 11Tds and 7 Picks, 18 sacks.

Not a huge drop, but noticeable 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/18/2024 at 10:04 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Either way to me is a good thing.  If he walks who are they replacing him with, likely will be another Andy Dalton type as they are much easier to find than an Allen or Mahomes, or even to do as well as to find another Tua they'd be lucky.

Was it 5 or 6 QB's drafted in the 1st round.  What's the over/under on the number of them who'll earn a 2nd contract with the team that drafted them?

Somebody must have heard me talking about this the other day as the Athletic just did an article on this.  Of the 31% 3rd drafted QB's Allen is one of them, interestingly so is Big Ben whom Allen is sometimes compared too

image.thumb.png.4d924447aee62e61b2d7d49b05de7bde.png