Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Poor people are never happy?   Money = happiness?

Statistically speaking money makes you happier. There's obviously exceptions both ways but it turns out the less stressed you are about money and the more opportunities afforded to you by having greater resources tends to make you happier. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnjennings/2024/02/12/money-buys-happiness-after-all/#:~:text=After re-examining the data,rise with income past %2475%2C000.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

1.  You clearly do not abide by point 1.  Otherwise you wouldn't feel the need for point 5 unless you are just signaling for the rest of these...um...fine citizens.  Lol. This place.  

Seriously?

Not explaining the intricacies of the way I feel about Butker's speech -- though I feel I did a good enough job in my first few points -- isn't about "not abiding by free speech". Your insinuation that it does, followed by an accusation of "signaling" and an exasperated "lol, this place" is eyeroll-inducing.

Let me make it clearer for you: This is a football message board. It has a light hearted "off topic" section and a "politics" section. In order not to derail the thread --  which was posted in the former section -- so that it winds up getting mired in endless bickering and moved to the latter section, I didn't go into nuanced detail about my opinions. It had nothing to do with free speech, and everything to do with trying to follow the rules of the message board.

That help? Great. Have a lovely day. Bless your heart!

Lol. This place.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Everyone is taking what I said out of context. All I said is that we should go back to a better time, like the 50s and 60s. When men were men, and women had more babies than thoughts. When the only 'Me too' movement was one woman saying she was ready for her 4th child, and another woman agreeing."

This is Butker’s clarification.  He had time to put this together, time to reflect and what he came up with is women should have babies and not thoughts.  That is indefensible, I’m sorry.

I am sure Butker would also love to go back to the top marginal tax rates or the higher corporate and capital gains taxes of the 1950's and 1960's. 

'

5 minutes ago, Terry Tate said:

If any of this surprises you, I can't wait till you discover there's probably a dozen guys in every NFL locker room who are flat earthers.

Maybe not a dozen but a few at least, these guys aren't getting paid for their political punditry or social commentary. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Logic said:

Seriously?

Not explaining the intricacies of the way I feel about Butker's speech -- though I feel I did a good enough job in my first few points -- isn't about "not abiding by free speech". Your insinuation that it does, followed by an accusation of "signaling" and an exasperated "lol, this place" is eyeroll-inducing.

Let me make it clearer for you: This is a football message board. It has a light hearted "off topic" section and a "politics" section. In order not to derail the thread --  which was posted in the former section -- so that it winds up getting mired in endless bickering and moved to the latter section, I didn't go into nuanced detail about my opinions. It had nothing to do with free speech, and everything to do with trying to follow the rules of the message board.

That help? Great. Have a lovely day. Bless your heart!

Lol. This place.

greetings

this topic has some legs by golly. I like that people are talking to each other though. . Since  we inhabit a chatroom of people whom are used to stating  opinions on football. This topic has caused an obvious segueway to discuss topics involving aspects of religion and politics. And the opinions are being stated pretty eloquently. Which is just like this place btw. Best football chat board Period.

I digress

I am not Roman Catholic nor are many of the hearers of the speech here in the chatroom . My Butkers views were meant to go reach a Roman Catholic audience. But it clearly spilled out and here we are

Is anyone shocked fhat his words would be Magnified and he be called out for them? And not just from people who are secular, athiest, and yes even Christian people didn't agree with all he had to say.

Me personally hope he doesn't lose his day Job for it though. 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, muppy said:

Me personally hope he doesn't lose his day Job for it though. 

That I fully agree with. I saw a petition online for the Chiefs to cut him because of this speech, which I think is just ridiculous. They won't, for what it's worth.

There are select times when I feel one's words or actions rise to the level of potentially meriting dismissal from one's job. This is definitely not one of those times.

If anyone on the Chiefs is gonna lose his job, it ought to be the guy that drove a car 100mph and nearly killed someone, then (allegedly) assaulted a photographer in a nightclub just weeks later...but that's a different story for a different thread.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Such is the world these days. Everyone is offended by everything. And if you offend someone, or a certain group of people, then the rest of the "mob" comes for you in one way or another. And there are "mobs" on all side. 

I'm sure a lot of the things I say or believe offend a ton of people as well. I lived a crazy life as a teen and young adult. A lot of drinking, a lot of drugs, a lot of women, a lot of crazy situations where I very well could not have been here right now. Car wrecks, set up to be murdered (yes, I'm serious), being involved in witchcraft, and situations I avoided by what I thought was "gut instinct". By the grace of God alone I am here. Life is different now. My relationship with Jesus Christ changed everything. I understand what Butker is getting at with what he is saying. I know what the Bible teaches about all of these things being debated around here. I also know the grace that has been bestowed upon my own life. I know the wickedness I walked in and how much was washed away. Because of that, because I have been forgiven much, I love much. It doesn't mean the things I say or believe will not offend others, but it does mean that those same things are not meant as malicious in any way.  

Excellent Brother!!!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have ambivalent feelings about this.

On one hand, there's a subset of athletes who are all about money, status, ego, sex, and fast cars.  Butker is interested in things bigger than that.  He's taking his Catholic faith seriously and applying it to the wider world.  

On the other hand, Butker's vision would move America backwards.  Muppy is right when she says, "love is the answer."  Butker's speech seemed to be more about judgment, condemnation, and dogma than love.     

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Statistically speaking money makes you happier. There's obviously exceptions both ways but it turns out the less stressed you are about money and the more opportunities afforded to you by having greater resources tends to make you happier. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnjennings/2024/02/12/money-buys-happiness-after-all/#:~:text=After re-examining the data,rise with income past %2475%2C000.

The following is directed more at Forbes and the “study” they cited than at you:

Edited by 4merper4mer

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

If the NFL really cared about that they'd suspend a player for life the moment he hit or raped a woman.

Some women actually do want to stay home and raise their children. 0% of woman want to be physically abused and raped.

If a woman continued watching football when Tyreek Hill beat his pregnant girlfriend, or broke a woman's leg. 

If they continued watching when Deshaun Watson forced upwards of 20 woman to perform sex acts on him and continued to watch when one of the largest owners in the sport participated in a child sex ring...do we really believe they would stop watching because someone suggested a woman who thinks she may be happy staying home and raising a child, do that, rather than bending to societal norms?

Lets just call a spade a spade.   Butker is being roasted because he is a Christian that's the long and short of it.

I’m Christian as are many of my friends and we find his words repugnant.

4 hours ago, eball said:

Women having careers is “the current thing?”  What an odd take.

Great job Captain Point Misser.  People who are yelling and screaming about Butker are the same ones yelling and screaming about how others should be left to 'live their best life' or whatever the current euphemism is.  They're all for free expression unless it's someone expressing a point of view they disagree with.  You see it right here on TSW.  Never mind the fact that some social media manager decided it would be a good idea to dox him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m Christian as are many of my friends and we find his words repugnant.

May I ask which words exactly?  I am a Christian as well, read the transcript, and aside from the following, which is an assumption on his part, I find nothing remotely repugnant.

"but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world."

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

May I ask which words exactly?  I am a Christian as well, read the transcript, and aside from the following, which is an assumption on his part, I find nothing remotely repugnant.

"but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world."

I will speak for myself.  As the father of two girls who just graduated this week (one BA and one MFA), I can assure you they both are more than excited not just of marriage (one is engaged right now) but also of using the gifts and talents God bestowed upon them to use in their professional careers.  He may hold up as a tenant of his strong Catholic faith that women should derive their pleasure from being wives and mothers (although that leads me to wonder what his stance on nuns is), but that does not mean all Christians agree.  And the topper was when in his clarification of remarks he said he wants to return to a time when women were more concerned with babies than thoughts.  That is beyond reprehensible to suggest women would be better off not thinking.

I was also, as a scientist, offended by his stance on Covid which ignores the science of viral diseases.  And as one who has friends who are members of the LGBTQ community I don’t appreciate his stance there.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

you don't find referring to LGBT as a deadly sin offensive? that is quite the admission

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 5/14/2024 at 9:48 PM, eball said:

I don’t have a link to it. I’m sure you can find it easily enough. I wonder how many around here agree with him?

Here, and with every fan base there are lots of males who still think

as if they live in the 1940s, unless they got married early in life.., and even then, they likely don’t get layed very often, 😁👍🍸🚬

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

You should have jumped at their deal they offered last November, on Black Friday. I pay only $2.66 a month for it!

Damn!

Well, I'll just have to wait until it comes back down to where I can afford it without financing it.  

😎😁

Edited by PBF81