Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Trent Sherfield was WR3/4 last year

I don't think he was, Diggs, Davis, Shakir and Harty all had more yards and receptions than Sherfield at WR. Sherfield only had one more target than Harty and that was largely due to injury. I think Harty was the WR4 and Sherfield the WR5. Certainly Sherfield was not the WR3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think he was, Diggs, Davis, Shakir and Harty all had more yards and receptions than Sherfield at WR. Sherfield only had one more target than Harty and that was largely due to injury. I think Harty was the WR4 and Sherfield the WR5. Certainly Sherfield was not the WR3.

He was a terrible WR3/4 but that’s what he was. He was the 4th most targeted WR on the roster. He played 392 snaps to Harty’s 155.

He was the de facto boundary starter when Gabe went down with injury. Neither Shakir nor Harty played outside as much as he did. Just like Mack Hollins will next year.

Hell, he played more snaps than Shakir in the playoffs vs the Chiefs. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Did I? There was a thread last week with a poll about which available vet WR would be the best signing and MVS was my choice in that poll.

Then again I'm sure two months ago I felt very different. When you've struck out at the bar for four hours everybody sudddenly looks hotter.

Well said.

Regardless of how we got here, we're in a situation where we have a hole without the financial ability to do something like Higgins or Aiyuk/Samuel.

So we can either roll with Hollins, Claypool, and/or Shorter on the Outside to start the year (with Coleman unlikely to be thrown straight into the starting role, from Beane's own admission) or we can address it as best we can with what is available to us.

Even if what's available to us isn't a massive upgrade, we have to take what we can get. And MVS would still be an upgrade over those options.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Correct, but he's worse than David in every area of complaint about Davis.  

He’s not replacing Davis. He’s depth. Cheap depth, if he makes the team.

We can’t go back in time to the draft and take a 2nd WR. I would love to trade for someone cheap and young for the 4th spot. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

45 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I wonder if Josh Allen will ever once in his career before he retires have two quality starting receivers who can each attack all three levels of the defense.

If that ever happens the Bills might just win the Superbowl.

So this happened in 21 and 22

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the kind of WR move I can see. Not trading for a big name.

agree

they need a guy w this skillset...you'd like it to be someone better but w out someone who can stretch a defense it will be very tough sledding on offense this season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Meh. Never caught more than 690 yards in a season (Packers 2020). Did have 687 in KC two seasons ago.  Does have a good avg at 17 for his career, probably 15.5 the last three seasons.

Better than a few on our team currently, no more when WR4.

7 hours ago, appoo said:

They in fact have 2.5 now as all 3 of Samuel, Keon Coleman, and Khalil Shakir will stretch the field in different ways. But Shakir is so good in his first 15 yards the Bills likely won't ask him to run too many deep stuff. But if they do...

Who’s the 3rd guy to congratulate Kahlil after scoring? Josh Allen, furthest away from the play running over 100 yards to get there!

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

agree

they need a guy w this skillset...you'd like it to be someone better but w out someone who can stretch a defense it will be very tough sledding on offense this season

Yea I don't think MVS is great or anything - he is a #3 receiver - but he is a speedy, vertical, outside receiver and we lack that skillset. If it is a one year deal and they attack WR again next offseason I can live with that. 

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, appoo said:

They in fact have 2.5 now as all 3 of Samuel, Keon Coleman, and Khalil Shakir will stretch the field in different ways. But Shakir is so good in his first 15 yards the Bills likely won't ask him to run too many deep stuff. But if they do...

Thanks for posting this clip. I forgot Shakir burned Sauce on this play!

Shakir has a higher ceiling than MVS, Claypool, Hollins, and Samuel.

Also: Josh Allen, James Cook, Gabe Davis, Dalton Kincaid, and most of the O line all ran the full 81 yards to celebrate with Khalil.

The only one who doesn't come into the picture, sad to say, is Diggs.

Edited by Ray Stonada
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Thanks for posting this clip. I didn't realize he burned Sauce on this play!

Shakir has a higher ceiling than MVS, Claypool, Hollins, and Samuel, IMO.

Also, sad to say, Josh Allen, James Cook, Gabe Davis, Dalton Kincaid, Josh Allen and the O line all ran the full 81 yards to celebrate with Khalil.

The only one who doesn't come into the picture is Diggs.

He may well have a higher ceiling than those guys but it is playing inside as a slot. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He may well have a higher ceiling than those guys but it is playing inside as a slot. 

I'm not so sure he can't play on the boundary. 

He burned Sauce on that TD, so why should we be scared to match him up against any corner?

24 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

I'm not so sure he can't play on the boundary. 

He burned Sauce on that TD, so why should we be scared to match him up against any corner?

He wasn't Sauce's guy on that play. They are in zone, Sauce is really responsible for the outside but reads where Josh is going and tries to dive across and make a play and just misses. That wasn't Shakir running a route vs Sauce and getting the better of him. Also, that was a route ran from the slot where Shakir gets a totally free release. The #26 looks as though he might go and engage but lets Shakir go and plays his responsibility to the flat. 

The reasons he can't play outside regularly are the same as they've ever been for me. Short arms, struggles getting off press and will get bodied out by bugger corners at the catch point. 

Shakir is a good player. He is a slot receiver.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He wasn't Sauce's guy on that play. They are in zone, Sauce is really responsible for the outside but reads where Josh is going and tries to dive across and make a play and just misses. That wasn't Shakir running a route vs Sauce and getting the better of him. Also, that was a route ran from the slot where Shakir gets a totally free release. The #26 looks as though he might go and engage but lets Shakir go and plays his responsibility to the flat. 

The reasons he can't play outside regularly are the same as they've ever been for me. Short arms, struggles getting off press and will get bodied out by bugger corners at the catch point. 

Shakir is a good player. He is a slot receiver.  

Yep this has been debated over and over again from the time he was drafted. He’s a slot 100%.

• Agree 1

MVS was/is my top realistic FA WR pickup for this offseason.

I’ve been wrong before but I highly doubt the Bills will look to get themselves back into the cap situation they were in when they had Diggs.   This is a reset year and the valuable resources will be bet on youth.

MVS is the money ball play, he would be cheap would fill a need in stretching defenses vertically and he checks the boxes in terms of value.

He would instantly be the #4 WR in the team.   I hope they get him.  

Then the last major area they would need to address is the safety, right now there are only 3 viable safeties on the team, need to get another border line starting quality safety added to the roster.

• Like (+1) 3