Shakir starter or complement piece?

Mat68

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

I understand in 11 he is on the field.  In terms of target share.  Is he 3rd in the wr room?  Or closer to 1.  

He is the starting slot receiver. Slot is basically a different position from outside receiver. It is like nickel corner. It requires a different skill set.

It is better to view it in terms of targets. I don't think it is outside of the realm of possibility that Shakir is 1st or 2nd in targets this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He already proved he is a starter last year. Do you mean #1 receiver? I don't think he is a #1, but he is clearly a starter.

Do you see him as a 50 to 60 targets guy or do you think he can be more than that?

Posted (edited)

i think the bills are setting up the team to be  complimentry wr based.    You dont have one star..you have multiple pieces that 

are good at doing their job and your average wr abilty on the field rates as high as other teams with a clear one.

i think 2nd part of the season showed they said..we can do this without force feeding a numero uno receiver.

that being said i think Shakir should def flourish and they should game plan around him.   

Edited by Comebackkid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

i think the bills are setting up the team to be  complimentry wr based.    You dont have one star..you have multiple pieces that 

are good at doing their job and your average wr abilty on the field rates as high as other teams with a clear one.

i think 2nd part of the season showed they said..we can do this without force feeding a numero uno receiver.

that being said i think Shakir should def flourish and they should game plan around him.   

I see a lot of match-up changes week to week in the game plan targeting the weakness in the defense. It won't be Diggs gets his 12 every week,  Gabe gets 8 etc. 

One week it's heavy Shakir, the next it's Kincaid, the next Cook depending on what the defense is.

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Do you see him as a 50 to 60 targets guy or do you think he can be more than that?

I think he could be more than that. I could easily see him getting 80 targets.

12 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

1. Kincaid

2. Shakir

3. Samuel

4. Coleman 

5. Cook

Targets with Coleman getting more as the season progresses before hitting the rookie wall in December

This is exactly how I see it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

1. Kincaid

2. Shakir

3. Samuel

4. Coleman 

5. Cook

Targets with Coleman getting more as the season progresses before hitting the rookie wall in December

This is how I see it.  That happens I think Shakir is more productive than many.  If Buffalo brought in a 1,000 yard wr is any that concerned about the wr room?

I posted the question to see if its a position thing.  He is a slot so not a number 1 etc.  Or unable to project his usage with larger volume.  He was third wr last year and will continue being that.  

If Shakir gets a tic more volume 5-6 targets a game he is going to be all over 1,000.  If he does that is anyone questioning the offense.  I think if healthy that is going to be the case.  At minimum I think that is how Buffalo sees it going into the year.  Those saying he is a compliment would that be compliment numbers?  If you felt strongly Shakir could get 80 or so catches 1,000 so yards would you still trade for which ever wr is available? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think he could be more than that. I could easily see him getting 80 targets.

This is exactly how I see it.

I think we are underestimating Samuel. I see him ahead of Shakir but I suppose it's a good sign that people see it differently. As a whole I think this group is going to surprise people. I can't help but think back to MLB last year where it appeared like we had nothing and Beane didn't care and he knew what we had in Bernard. I'm hopeful WR/TE plays out that way this year. I expect one of those guys, perhaps even two, to be signifgantly more productive than they ever have. First bet would be Dalton, second Samuel. I think Knox or even Shorter could also crash the party. Then Keon will be a huge piece for Josh out of structure and in the red zone in his first year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I think get some of the Z where Diggs operated.  We are only talking about 2-3 more targets a game puts Shakir in a spot to get to 80 and 1,000.  I think the error they made with Gabe was giving volume to an inefficient player.   

80 and 1000 isn't what it once was. That's roughly 4.7 catches and 59 yards per game over a 17 games season. Those are role player/WR3 numbers. Which is where he likely falls. 

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Your opinion of Khalil Shakir is your opinion of the 24 Buffalo Bills offense.  Will Shakir develop into a starting wr and a feature of the passing attack or be a nice role player?  If you think he can be a feature of the offense then your overall expectations for 24 are still high.  If he is just a nice slot guy your hoping for a massive trade.  You feel the offense is subpar and a major concern moving forward. 

Shakir had a year of a nice third guy.  39 catches 611 yards.  He was not used the first 6 weeks.  Only received 5 targets and 4 catches.  You take his usage from week 7 to 18 over a full season thats 52 catches for 882.  Doesnt knock your socks off but you can see why he would be looked at a bit differently.  

There are alot of targets available 160 from Diggs and 81 from Davis.  They were also highly inefficient players.  Diggs catch % last year was 66 and Davis was 55.  Shakir was at 85.  In general Shakir made the most of his opportunities.  I do not see him getting Diggs work load.  I dont see any weapon getting that.

I think Shakir will be used a tick more than he was down the stretch.  I think he has a chance at being a 1,000 yard receiver and I dont think it is that much of an ask.  If you see Shakir as a possible 80 catch 1,000 yard guy you’re not hanging your hopes on a big time trade.  Worked with Cook.  Worked with Benard. I think it works with Shakir. 

Under Dorsey to start the year, the ball was being force fed to Diggs.  His numbers were good obviously, but it was not translating to an efficient offense as we all could see.  The catch percentage was a direct result of deliberate intent to throw the ball to Diggs, open or not.  This clearly changed under Brady, thus Diggs unhappiness even though the offense was more efficient and the Bills were winning.  Davis was rarely a factor at all.  Allen was getting lots of blame, but to me the inefficiency was due to Dorsey’s lack of creativity and preoccupation with Diggs in large part.

The Bills obviously do not have a true number 1 this year, but they do have some talented weapons, including Shakir.  The comparison has been made to Beasley, but I think Shakir is actually more versatile and can make plays in intermediate zones and even deep that are beyond Beasleys typical skill set.  He feasted off short slants and curls and he was great at it in his prime, but Shakir can do that plus.  You certainly would not start Shakir primarily at outside but I think both he and Samuel will see time there.  I expect to see some creative usage of the weapons they do have including Kincaid, Knox, and Cook along with their new toy, Coleman, who should be an immediate upgrade to Davis. The running game could be very good as well. 

I am more a bullish on Buffalo’s offense than many around here.  Would I like to have a Jefferson, or Ayuk or similar here? Of course.  However, with Josh Allen distributing and making plays, they are still going to be a top 5 to 10 offense at least.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

80 and 1000 isn't what it once was. That's roughly 4.7 catches and 59 yards per game over a 17 games season. Those are role player/WR3 numbers. Which is where he likely falls. 

What wr 3 gets 80 catches and 1,000 yards?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have a feeling that the number of targets that Diggs got are purposefully not being concentrated on one player this upcoming season, I do see Shakir getting noticeably more targets, but this passing offense is going to be all about spreading the ball around so as to keeping defenses from double teaming any one guy with frequency, and keeping those defenses from knowing for certain where the ball is going, jmo of course…, 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I’m at with him. I think that he can absolutely be an important piece on a good team. If he is the top guy in your WR room, that’s not ideal. I think similarly of Samuel. I think Coleman can be a better Gabe. If the Bills acquire a number 1 vis trade or the draft in the next year that room will be fine (assuming Coleman is a better Gabe). A depth chart of Ayiuk (Burden, Jefferson, Higgins or whomever), Coleman, Shakir/Samuel, Shakir/Samuel. That would be an elite WR room.

My issue with the Bills WR room is the top of the depth chart not the balance. If they inserted someone at the top, it could be a good group. 

I agree with them needing a top WR to headline the group.  

But I think the perfect fit for whomever is DK Metcalf.

He's not the all levels, route-diverse threat that guys like Aiyuk and Jefferson are........but he's a great fit with Josh Allen's game and should be less expensive to acquire AND to retain, IMO.    For instance,  Jefferson is trending toward a $37M aav based on the deal that the last comparable talent at WR got (Hill).   I think a guy like DK stays in the $20M's should you extend him and what he does expands the field for everyone else on the offense and his skillset is a bit more weather-proof and as I've mentioned before has proven effective in the playoffs.   

Having Metcalf as the lead WR outside would allow the Bills some time to develop Keon Coleman and not force targets to him.   I like the Davante Adams comps for Coleman.........but it took Adams several years to really figure out how to translate his athleticism-without-speed game to the field.   The way this WR corps is set-up now the pressure is going to be on Coleman to produce early and my confidence in him being able to do that is low.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with them needing a top WR to headline the group.  

But I think the perfect fit for whomever is DK Metcalf.

He's not the all levels, route-diverse threat that guys like Aiyuk and Jefferson are........but he's a great fit with Josh Allen's game and should be less expensive to acquire AND to retain, IMO.    For instance,  Jefferson is trending toward a $37M aav based on the deal that the last comparable talent at WR got (Hill).   I think a guy like DK stays in the $20M's should you extend him and what he does expands the field for everyone else on the offense and his skillset is a bit more weather-proof and as I've mentioned before has proven effective in the playoffs.   

Having Metcalf as the lead WR outside would allow the Bills some time to develop Keon Coleman and not force targets to him.   I like the Davante Adams comps for Coleman.........but it took Adams several years to really figure out how to translate his athleticism-without-speed game to the field.   The way this WR corps is set-up now the pressure is going to be on Coleman to produce early and my confidence in him being able to do that is low.

Love that idea!! You can probably get him for one of those 2nds.

Shakir will get a full season of use and his per game usage will increase from last year.

This is just a fact.  What he does with those targets will determine how much of an increase he will see.

I expect him to do well this season.

• Like (+1) 2