Shakir starter or complement piece?

Mat68

Your opinion of Khalil Shakir is your opinion of the 24 Buffalo Bills offense.  Will Shakir develop into a starting wr and a feature of the passing attack or be a nice role player?  If you think he can be a feature of the offense then your overall expectations for 24 are still high.  If he is just a nice slot guy your hoping for a massive trade.  You feel the offense is subpar and a major concern moving forward. 

Shakir had a year of a nice third guy.  39 catches 611 yards.  He was not used the first 6 weeks.  Only received 5 targets and 4 catches.  You take his usage from week 7 to 18 over a full season thats 52 catches for 882.  Doesnt knock your socks off but you can see why he would be looked at a bit differently.  

There are alot of targets available 160 from Diggs and 81 from Davis.  They were also highly inefficient players.  Diggs catch % last year was 66 and Davis was 55.  Shakir was at 85.  In general Shakir made the most of his opportunities.  I do not see him getting Diggs work load.  I dont see any weapon getting that.

I think Shakir will be used a tick more than he was down the stretch.  I think he has a chance at being a 1,000 yard receiver and I dont think it is that much of an ask.  If you see Shakir as a possible 80 catch 1,000 yard guy your not hanging your hopes on a big time trade.  Worked with Cook.  Worked with Benard. I think it works with Shakir. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

I believe it was said at the Combine that the Bills view him as a "#3 WR". I think that's fair. Yes with enough volume and targets he could pass 1000 yards (if plays all 17 games that's just a hair over 59 yards a game). 

I don't want to see them make the mistake the made with Gabe Davis. Gabe was a WR3 that they pushed up the depth chart. I'd like to see them keep Shakir there and if he gets some added opportunity, so be it. But I believe Coleman/Samuel will be a solid 1-2. 

I see them moving Shakir around a bit. Some inside, some outside. He and Samuel will almost certainly in my opinion be in motion a bit. Find the mismatches and exploit. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Your opinion of Khalil Shakir is your opinion of the 24 Buffalo Bills offense.  Will Shakir develop into a starting wr and a feature of the passing attack or be a nice role player?  If you think he can be a feature of the offense then your overall expectations for 24 are still high.  If he is just a nice slot guy your hoping for a massive trade.  You feel the offense is subpar and a major concern moving forward. 

Shakir had a year of a nice third guy.  39 catches 611 yards.  He was not used the first 6 weeks.  Only received 5 targets and 4 catches.  You take his usage from week 7 to 18 over a full season thats 52 catches for 882.  Doesnt knock your socks off but you can see why he would be looked at a bit differently.  

There are alot of targets available 160 from Diggs and 81 from Davis.  They were also highly inefficient players.  Diggs catch % last year was 66 and Davis was 55.  Shakir was at 85.  In general Shakir made the most of his opportunities.  I do not see him getting Diggs work load.  I dont see any weapon getting that.

I think Shakir will be used a tick more than he was down the stretch.  I think he has a chance at being a 1,000 yard receiver and I dont think it is that much of an ask.  If you see Shakir as a possible 80 catch 1,000 yard guy your not hanging your hopes on a big time trade.  Worked with Cook.  Worked with Benard. I think it works with Shakir. 

I see 4000 yards spread between 5-6 different targets in this offense. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I believe it was said at the Combine that the Bills view him as a "#3 WR". I think that's fair. Yes with enough volume and targets he could pass 1000 yards (if plays all 17 games that's just a hair over 59 yards a game). 

I don't want to see them make the mistake the made with Gabe Davis. Gabe was a WR3 that they pushed up the depth chart. I'd like to see them keep Shakir there and if he gets some added opportunity, so be it. But I believe Coleman/Samuel will be a solid 1-2. 

I see them moving Shakir around a bit. Some inside, some outside. He and Samuel will almost certainly in my opinion be in motion a bit. Find the mismatches and exploit. 

I think get some of the Z where Diggs operated.  We are only talking about 2-3 more targets a game puts Shakir in a spot to get to 80 and 1,000.  I think the error they made with Gabe was giving volume to an inefficient player.   

Obviously wildly oversimplified but not the worst version 

I think Shakir can be a “starter” but I don’t think we have the right complimentary piece to put beside him if you were designing an offense with him at WR2. Having a dude that backs up safeties opposite him would let him feast underneath in a different way. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He is a starter. But he is also a complintary player not a feature guy. He is a starting slot receiver with excellent YAC skills.

This 

Just now, BuffBillsForLife said:

Beasley 2.0

Would be awesome. I hope he can add Beasley's ability to find soft spots to his game.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is a starter. But he is also a complintary player not a feature guy. He is a starting slot receiver with excellent YAC skills.

That is St. Brown.  I think Shakir gets a similar role.  Im not saying get him 160 targets.  80 to 100 is reasonable with the amount that have left. 

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Obviously wildly oversimplified but not the worst version 

I think Shakir can be a “starter” but I don’t think we have the right complimentary piece to put beside him if you were designing an offense with him at WR2. Having a dude that backs up safeties opposite him would let him feast underneath in a different way. 

Which part?  If you pessimistic about Shakir your vision of the 2024 offense is low.  Or Shakir’s usage the last 11 games applied over a complete season?  

8 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

That is St. Brown.  I think Shakir gets a similar role.  Im not saying get him 160 targets.  80 to 100 is reasonable with the amount that have left. 

not to single you out but man… guys going to st brown as a comp for our less than ideal athleticism at wr is our new Brady was drafted in the 6th. 

we are going to have to find some second and third tier comparables to call out in that style - surely there are a ton of more realistic names to toss out 

For one thing, I think it is pretty obvious that that when the Bills use three receivers, Shakir will be on the field most of the time.  That will be a healthy percentage of offensive snaps though I couldn't say what that percentage will be.  Most of the rest of those snaps will be with two TEs to get both Knox and Kincaid on the field at the same time.  The Bills will only use a fullback for a handful of snaps.  When the Bills use two receivers, it's probably going to be more complicated.  Unless Coleman really lights it up, I think the Bills may almost use a WR by committee approach, using three receivers for the two spots.  It'll be Shakir and Samuel some of the time. Shakir and Coleman some of the time and Samuel and Coleman some of the time.  The balance will depend on how the receivers perform and maybe Brady's preferences for the way they work together.

Compliment piece. 

My best guess for the Bills vision of this Offense around Josh Allen (as currently constructed) is to have a solid OL with a talented run/pass RB rotation.  Kincaid as the pseudo #1 receiving option, with Knox as the traditional TE.  Shakir, Samuel & Coleman as a trio of WR2’s. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

1 hour ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Beasley 2.0

This is where I’m at with him. I think that he can absolutely be an important piece on a good team. If he is the top guy in your WR room, that’s not ideal. I think similarly of Samuel. I think Coleman can be a better Gabe. If the Bills acquire a number 1 via trade or the draft in the next year that room will be fine (assuming Coleman is a better Gabe). A depth chart of Ayiuk (Burden, Jefferson, Higgins or whomever), Coleman, Shakir/Samuel, Shakir/Samuel. That would be a very good WR room.

My issue with the Bills WR room is the top of the depth chart not the balance. If they inserted someone at the top, it could be a good group. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

not to single you out but man… guys going to st brown as a comp for our less than ideal athleticism at wr is our new Brady was drafted in the 6th. 

we are going to have to find some second and third tier comparables to call out in that style - surely there are a ton of more realistic names to toss out 

Shakir doesn't have less than Ideal athleticism...  I was using St Brown as a style of wr described.  What makes Shakir a compliment?  His alignment? St. Brown is primary slot with very good yac ability?  Im not saying Shakir is going to be St Brown.  I do think the team will use him more than many expect with the amount of targets available.  Entering his 3rd year I think he will be given every opportunity to have a big role. 

He already proved he is a starter last year. Do you mean #1 receiver? I don't think he is a #1, but he is clearly a starter.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The question is moot.

Shakir was the starting slot receiver last season and will be the starter this season

I understand in 11 he is on the field.  In terms of target share.  Is he 3rd in the wr room?  Or closer to 1.  

It’ll depend on the game plan and the opponent strengths and weaknesses.

Brady will want to create mismatches. 
Will they use 2 TEs and the big receivers for more of a ball control ground game? 
Or will they have an opponent they feel they can exploit with a slot receiver and 3 WRs? 
I think the answer will depend largely on the progression of Coleman and the other receivers. Shakir is one of the few receivers on the roster for which there aren’t really any questions. We know what he is. 
Im high on him and I believe he could be a full time starter alongside Coleman in a traditional passing formation. 

• Like (+1) 1