Ray Ray Davis pick receiving praise

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Davis is explosive, he’s got great burst and great acceleration. You want a guy that can burst through holes and accelerate past defenders.  Way more important than his peak untouched straight line speed because that so rarely comes into play.  

The stat that shows his quick acceleration is his 10 yard split of the 40 yard dash. Davis had the same speed in the first ten yards as Isaac Guerendo who ran a 4.33 forty

Edited by Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

It seems to me like they took the guy most well suited to be a starting running back in the NFL. The most well rounded skillset.

Whereas Jaylen Wright or Isaac Guerendo may have offered more explosiveness, Will Shipley or Dylan Laube may have offered more in the passing game, Braelon Allen or Audric Estime may have offered more power, etc....Davis seemed to have the best blend of vision, speed, quicks, power, receiving ability, etc. 

I realize the Bills don't actually need a starting running back, but Davis seems to have the ability to be one.

On top of all that, I think his leadership, maturity, and the edge he plays with were all big selling points for Beane. He mentions specifically in the Embedded video that they were looking to add "leadership and dogs with edge", something like that. That's Ray Davis.

I think he'll be a good 1B to Cook's 1A. And if he winds up being a better pass blocker than Cook (a low bar to clear)....look out.

He was very productive rushed for 1,000 yards in the SEC for two different teams back to back.  Honestly, he is the most complete back of those.   Allen though bigger than Davis doesnt play bigger.  Issac Guerendo for all his combine numbers couldn’t get on the field at Louisville. Luabe or Shipley is just like Cook light.  Wright, Llyod or Davis were who I was looking at and they got 1 of them. 

4 minutes ago, JarHeadJim_1 said:

All day Ray

"All Day Ray" was a nightmare for teams in the SEC........he'll have no problem carrying that over to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I thought Davis was the best back in the draft.  If he stays healthy and focused he can be a Travis Henry-type player on the field.

Will he be as productive off the field?

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Logic said:

It seems to me like they took the guy most well suited to be a starting running back in the NFL. The most well rounded skillset.

Whereas Jaylen Wright or Isaac Guerendo may have offered more explosiveness, Will Shipley or Dylan Laube may have offered more in the passing game, Braelon Allen or Audric Estime may have offered more power, etc....Davis seemed to have the best blend of vision, speed, quicks, power, receiving ability, etc. 

I realize the Bills don't actually need a starting running back, but Davis seems to have the ability to be one.

On top of all that, I think his leadership, maturity, and the edge he plays with were all big selling points for Beane. He mentions specifically in the Embedded video that they were looking to add "leadership and dogs with edge", something like that. That's Ray Davis.

I think he'll be a good 1B to Cook's 1A. And if he winds up being a better pass blocker than Cook (a low bar to clear)....look out.

Cook is headed back to the role he belongs in, just like college, he’s going to be the complimentary back, he’s not built for the starting role in a power rush scheme.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Most fans have just dont understand “fast” in the NFL as they lean primarily on the least relevant metric of the 40 time. 

Sir, you astonish me. I haven't seen 40 times discussed here at all! 😮

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Well said.  Ray Davis is a legitimate 3-down back.  He's obviously a good runner, good vision/contact balance etc., he's also decent in pass pro and is an above average receiving back.  

Cook is too good to not be RB1, but Ray Davis is actually more suited to be RB1 with Cook as the explosive change of pace back with WR level route running ability (not commenting on having actual WR skills until he stops dropping passes)

To your point, I like Davis better than Cook as a runner.  He's definitely more physical.  I'd love to see Cook more in the pass game, but as you said he has to catch the ball.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out becasue I think Davis is going to flash.  On the other hand, the Bills always seem to take forever to integrate new players.  

I think Davis is a solid addition. I'm not sure how the running back room fits together.  Davis is a do everything back, but he's the slowest RB in the running back room, including Darrynton Evans.  I don't see Davis ever taking over as the #1 back as some do.  Though Cook is light, he's shown he can run between the tackles.  My guess is that Cook continues to start and the three top RBs are all going to get their touches.  If one of them gets hot, maybe Brady will let the offense ride him for a while.  The Bills may give Davis a shot at proving what he can do in short yardage situations.  Until proven other wise, Josh Allen is the best short yardage back.  I think the Bills would like to find a reliable alternative.  That wouldn't be Davis' only role, of course, but if he can do it, it would give the Bills something they could really use.

I followed both Cook and Davis in college and i think you'll see Davis become our 3 down back as the workhorse, carrying the heavy load.......Cook is more of a scat-back, change of pace, complimentary role type guy.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I agree he is 1A.  If goes down, down, I feel good with him starting.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Would like to see Cook get less carries compared to last season but more catches.  Find ways to get Cook in space.  

Funny thing is Davis may be a better receiver than Cook the TD dropper

• Like (+1) 1