Tyler Boyd 1-year 4.5M with the Titans

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No one should care about Claypool, he’s a lottery ticket. I don’t get why people are so strongly against him. If he’s all in the he’ll make the team, if he’s not then he’ll be cut.

Simple as that. Guys like OBj and Boyd are WR3’s and weren’t coming to Buffalo to compete for WR4.

I completely agree. I hope he makes the team and gets everything straightened out. It would only benefit us if he did. But right now all we have to go on his is resume. Again. I hope he can turn it around though. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Coleman hasn't played a down yet.  We all hope he plays well but there is no guarantee.  And even if he is good,  he is still a rookie.

You may trust the WR room today,  I don't. 

But the problem with that plan is any good WR would want a good contract. Who can we add that wouldn’t block Shakir and Coleman?

I didn’t build this WR room. I don’t have a choice. It doesn’t matter what we think. I do believe there’s talent here though. Especially adding in Kincaid, since he will be our WR1.

I really thought they would add a legit outside WR with speed. I didn’t think they would rely on a WR they traded back for. But the more a hear and read from the Bills I think they’re going with a young team this year.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NewEra said:

disagree- he’s still pretty dam good, won’t cost much and can be fit under the cap relatively easy.  I think he’s just about the only way to upgrade the WR at this point unless you think trading for Aiyuk or Higgins feasible.  I don’t 

Essentially, this is where i'm at right now. Yes, i'm aware that Beane speaks out of both sides of his mouth and lies. But when it comes to him saying there "won't be a big trade" - there's more than that.

After the deals for Smoot (surprisingly, a 2.5m deal), Claypool, and Jones were announced today - subtracting the bottom 3 numbers of the Top 51 and where we were at going into today - we currently sit 1.71m under the cap.

Yes, we have Tre's 10.25 coming 6/1. Putting us at essentially 12. But if you remove the cost of Draft Picks, the Practice Squad, and a couple million for in season spending - it's some money - but it's not much.

When it comes to restructures and extensions, we've pretty much pulled all the cords we could pull already. You could do a restructure on Oliver and maybe Milano. But that's not going to be close to enough to come up with what it would take for a Higgins or Aiyuk. 

People like to say "well, we restructure or rip up the deal, do a new one, and make that 1st year number lower". The problem is that's not how it works. You can't restructure or sign a traded player to a new deal until after you've traded for them. And for the trade to be approved, you have to have the space to take on their deal *as is* first.

I just don't see how they can afford to take on any of the bigger names right now. That's why i've been looking at the Free Agent pool. It's not a particularly exciting group. But there's a couple that would be an upgrade over what we've got right now starting on the Outside Week 1. And to me, it's looking like one of them or nothing - unless someone gets released unexpectedly or there's someone on a contract that's managable that can be had via Trade that we don't know about.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why do we want another aging WR for two years who can catch an 8 yard out?

We just got rid of one of those.  

We need young talent at this point.  

We want a WR that projects to be better than Diggs in 2024- DHop qualifies.  Did you watch Tenn at all last year?

We have young talent- Shakir/Coleman and Kincaid, what we need is a proven 1000+ veteran WR.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, H2o said:

I wish. The cap hit would be almost $9M I think. We don't really have the $$$ to absorb that hit. We still have to sign our rookies and will need some for possible in-season moves. 

Didn’t Beane leave some meat on the restructure bone that is Josh’s contract IIRC? 🤗

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

disagree- he’s still pretty dam good, won’t cost much and can be fit under the cap relatively easy.  I think he’s just about the only way to upgrade the WR at this point unless you think trading for Aiyuk or Higgins feasible.  I don’t 

We should've went all in with Dhop last year. Time to move forward with the youth

• Like (+1) 1

“What does this mean for Treylon Burks?

Short answer: It's not a great sign. Burks' first two pro seasons have been derailed by injuries, and he hasn't been particularly productive when he has been on the field. New Titans coach Brian Callahan raved during a radio interview after the NFL draft about how impressed he has been with Burks. But adding Boyd certainly puts a dent in Burks' share of reps.

Burks has two more years plus a fifth-year option on his rookie contract. With Boyd and Hopkins on short-term deals, there's value in keeping Burks around and trying to develop him. Maybe taking the pressure of having to be a No. 1 or No. 2 receiver off Burks allows him to flash his first-round potential. Maybe some improved injury luck allows him to emerge organically.

But the realistic conclusion is the Titans signed Boyd because they believed they needed immediate, proven consistency from their No. 3 receiver. Burks isn't that. He'll have an uphill climb to earn reps in base, three-receiver sets and factor into the Titans' offensive plans in any meaningful way.”

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2024/05/07/tyler-boyd-titans-will-levis-deandre-hopkins-treylon-burks-wide-receivers/73601013007/

Looks like the one in danger here is Berks, which doesn’t help us. Titans threw around a lot of money to Ridley, Pollard, Sneed, Cushenberry and others. They look like a team that is all in, not one who will sell off assets in November.  I like the possibilities our young wideouts offer versus Dhop who is getting to the end of the line. He is like some wedding dress posters wished we had bought three marriages ago. It’s over dudes, your boobs will not look good in that low cut design. 

Bummer, we could use a slot receiver.  

16 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Boyd is more of a slot guy.  We've already got like 5 of those 

Oh come on now, "Complimentary Football." 

You can never have enough slot receivers or RBs.  

Oh, and a strong defense that always holds the fort down in the playoffs.  

I would have been fine with the Bills giving him this contract. Also perfectly fine with them passing. Don't think Boyd, or any of the available FA WRs, moves the needle at all. 

At this point just have to roll with what we got, and hope that if it doesn't work out, Beane will be more aggressive in addressing the position next year, when we will be in better shape cap wise.

23 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Our top 3 WRs are actually set. 

Actually 4 -- Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, and Hollins.  Everyone else brought in or retained from last season is fighting for spots 5 and 6.

Posted (edited)

People need to keep in mind that Tyler Boyd is a PURE Slot. He does nothing to alter the lineup on the Outside. Currently, they have Ridley and Hopkins on the Outside and Boyd in the Slot. 

I don't think the acquisition of Boyd makes it much more likelier that they'd trade Hopkins than before they acquired him. If they had Drafted someone alongside the Ridley and Boyd acquisitions, I could see it. But they didn't. 

If they move Hopkins, they'll be back to starting Burks - who they said was on a make or break season last year and didn't improve. Which is why I think they signed Ridley. As much as I'd love Hopkins, the only move I see them doing, if any, is moving on from Burks.

Edited by BillsFanForever19