2025 Compensatory picks

One interesting thing I read today is that, because of the way compensatory picks are calculated, the Bills may want to limit the snaps of Mike Edwards and Mack Hollins this year, because if they exceed a certain amount, it jeopardizes the two picks the Bills are scheduled to receive.

Similarly, to ensure the best chance at receiving the picks they think they'll be getting, the Bills have to hope that Tim Settle plays a lot of snaps for Houston -- but Houston is surely aware of this, too, and may limit Settle's snaps for their own compensatory pick reasons.

Just a fascinating aspect of the minutiae that goes into calculating compensatory picks. I have no idea whether or not the Bills care enough to actually limit Edwards and Hollin's snaps. To be honest, I bet they do.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Logic said:

One interesting thing I read today is that, because of the way compensatory picks are calculated, the Bills may want to limit the snaps of Mike Edwards and Mack Hollins this year, because if they exceed a certain amount, it jeopardizes the two picks the Bills are scheduled to receive.

Similarly, to ensure the best chance at receiving the picks they think they'll be getting, the Bills have to hope that Tim Settle plays a lot of snaps for Houston -- but Houston is surely aware of this, too, and may limit Settle's snaps for their own compensatory pick reasons.

Just a fascinating aspect of the minutiae that goes into calculating compensatory picks. I have no idea whether or not the Bills care enough to actually limit Edwards and Hollin's snaps. To be honest, I bet they do.

I bet that is why they never reveal the rules for the picks. It allows them to mess around with them and leak some crap like playing time matters. They ought to dish out the picks biased purely on record. Worst team gets the best pick. Every team over 500 nothing. 

Edited by sunshynman
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Logic said:

The best players will play. If Edward’s and Holline prove to be more capable than those behind them, they’ll be in the game. Same with Tim Settle. If he proves he’s the Texans 3rd best rotational DT there won’t be any monitoring of snaps for comp pick consideration. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I get that their play time can affect things but you have to try and win the games with the guys on your roster.  I mean what is Beane gonna say, hey McDermott I know Coleman is out this week with a hammy but leave Hollins on the bench cause we need that 5th round pick next year.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 3:09 PM, Beast said:

And last year we were projected a 3rd gor this past draft. I give up trying to figure out that formula.

Unless they do another change or Floyd or Davis miss an extended period of time next year - we'll get those picks.

We didn't get the 3rd for two reasons. 1.) They on a whim decided to change the formula and incorporate things like void year money instead of just the strict cap number it was before - choosing to do it retroactively instead of going forward and 2.) Edmunds missed some time.

Beane said they were talking to the league all year and they told him he was getting a 3rd, until they randomly decided to change the qualifications at the buzzer. I don't think they're going to do that again this year.

On 5/6/2024 at 4:40 PM, Victory Formation said:

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but that means that our 2025 picks are:

1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7

Whew, doggy. Beane is killing it.

It is wrong. Our picks are as follows:

2 (from Minnesota via Houston for Diggs)

4 (from Chicago for a 2024 5th)

4 (Compensation for Davis)

5 (Compensation for Floyd)

6 (from NYG for Basham and our 2025 7th)

Our 5th was traded to Houston as part of the Diggs trade. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's wrong. Our picks are as follows:

2 (from Minnesota via Houston for Diggs)

4 (from Green Bay for a 2024 5th)

4 (Compensation for Davis)

5 (Compensation for Floyd)

6 (from NYG for Basham and our 2025 7th)

Our 5th was traded to Houston as part of the Diggs trade. 

Thank you.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The Bills cannot consider this when deciding who gets to play. If you play players not because they are the best option you can quickly lose the team…. These are peoples lives we’re talking about….It wouldn’t be kosher at all…

2 hours ago, sunshynman said:

While I doubt we get those two picks, it would nice if we did. Next year, we are going to have another short roster pre-draft and we are probably going to have room for most of those picks. We are probably going to make small trade ups because it seems we usually do this for good or bad.

Maybe we can get another WR with a higher pick next season as well…. Perhaps the second safety. It could be OL or DL as well…

We will have a lot of needs again…

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills should get a 3rd and a 4th as a solid from the NFL after screwing the Bills out of a 3rd this year.

Well to before the actual formula is not released 

So everybody saying we were supposed to get a third is guessing based on their formula 

It's probably close... But the NFL has never revealed their exact comp pic formula which probably takes.. salary, playing time, length of deal into consideration 

And possibly also success

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well to before the actual formula is not released 

So everybody saying we were supposed to get a third is guessing based on their formula 

It's probably close... But the NFL has never revealed their exact comp pic formula which probably takes.. salary, playing time, length of deal into consideration 

And possibly also success

Pretty sure the NFL comp pic formula follows the same "you're the home team against the Jags waiting for you in London" formula and the folks who determine penalties.

image.png.ce6ed03e299e2f2d3e83d38d4af35704.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

No team is limiting snaps of a productive player because of a 5th round comp pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Beast said:

And last year we were projected a 3rd gor this past draft. I give up trying to figure out that formula.

I mean projections for the last many years have been spot on minus like 2-3 picks being off by a round? 

frustrating, sure.

lifes unknowable mysteries? Not really.

• Like (+1) 1