Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

How so?

His whole first-down celebration when time was of the essence was just the ultimate dumb, selfish mistake. I don't know if that represents the rest of his play and everything else about him but that was one of the most boneheaded moments in NFL history that more or less cost his team the game. Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a second chance, so I am willing to wait and see. 

I am alone in this thinking but signing Michael Gallup was the best option.  He is great guy by all accounts, great in the locker room and fits the mold of the outside wr that they needed.  Not a speed guy but a sideline guy that makes the hard catches.  Giving him the prove it deal the raiders gave him would have made a lot of sense to me.

Not a fan of bad locker room guys.

• Like (+1) 1

Has potential and probably the best path to make the roster and a role.  Low risk full off season with a real qb maybe he matured and takes advantage.  At his age athletic profile its a no brainer move.

1 minute ago, 947 said:

I guess he's competing with Shorter & Hollins for the old Kumerow role.

I would almost write Hollins on the roster in sharpie at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills are really picking through the NFL thrift shop cupboards to fill out the roster.

You don’t think Claypool would’ve been in a training camp somewhere? I actually think he chose us.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Bills fans conversations…

Going into the draft:  We HAVE to draft a WR!!!!!

After the draft:  Not THAT guy!!!!

The week following:  We HAVE to add a veteran outside/big WR!!!!!

After adding one:  Not THAT guy!!!!

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

All the negativity about Claypool is expected and probably warranted. But what if they feel like their culture can help him remove his head from his rump? Maybe he'll be motivated to catch rocket balls from Josh, who knows. 

And all aboard the Duane Train! Carter and Smoot shall revitalize the DL! I'm also aware that's not how either of them spell their first name but hey that's how my old spells it for himself so I went with what I knew. 😀

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I like it! Low risk. Has more talent than most of the WRs on the team now. Maybe McD's process and team culture here will work. 

worked for #14...amirite??!!

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m not saying it’s the same but it’s kind of similar. John Brown was a talented player, had injuries and some down seasons. Came to Buffalo and went for 1,000.

It can happen.

for a single season--only because he and Beasley were the only guys in the room...

43 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

For all we know, Chase Claypool could legit be a Born Again Christian now and be motivated to play football

If he causes trouble or is a bum, he can be cut in camp

On the 7% chance it works out......imagine we get some version of what he was his rookie season.  

Well if that has any bearing on being a passable WR FA then the Bills passed on a far more committed (crazy) holy roller in Zay Jones, no?

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL, I'll try again.  First, I didn't say Big Ben's play was "garbage", so don't insinuate I did.

Ben's play was falling off his last season.  Even in 2020 when he had the 3800 yards, he threw the ball 608 times.

In 2014 Ben threw the ball 608 times too.  He had 4,952 yards.

He wasn't the same QB at the end and everyone who watched football knows that was true.

I was responding to the previous poster who said Ben was garbage at the time.  Then you also responded. 

But, yes, he had 4900 in 2014--but this was 1 of only 2 career seasons over 4500 yards---clearly outlier seasons so their comparison isn't particularly noteworthy.   You could have pointed out that only 2 years before Claypool arrived, Ben had his career best season (his 15th!).  7550 yards, 55 TDs over 2 seasons--after 18 years--that's better than his career season average (even not counting his 2 game 2019). That's solid play.