Stephen Ross Turned Down $10 BILLION For the Dolphins

H2o

Fun fact: Ken Griffin, the bidder, is one of those sociopath Wall Street billionaires who makes his money Office Space style. He uses high speed computer algorithms to skim money on every trade, siphoning money from all so that he can do things like move to Florida to avoid taxes and bid $10,000,000,000 on a franchise with a mid QB.

• Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

And some people might think being retired baking in the sun on the beach is a waste. But to each their own! Do what makes you happy I say 😄

Take it from me, being retired and doing exactly what you want to when you want to is priceless.  I was a farm kid.  I started working for pay at 11 picking strawberries for 6 cents a quart, and I worked continuously for the next 55 years until I retired 8 years ago.    

22 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Fun fact: Ken Griffin, the bidder, is one of those sociopath Wall Street billionaires who makes his money Office Space style. He uses high speed computer algorithms to skim money on every trade, siphoning money from all so that he can do things like move to Florida to avoid taxes and bid $10,000,000,000 on a franchise with a mid QB.

You realize that almost all fortunes, not just in the US currently but all over the world throughout history, were created by someone screwing over other people.  It's just the way it is and has always been.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Totally agree that there's more to life than money but sitting in a corner office rotting while people kiss your ass simply because you have money is quite possibly one of the most pathetic uses of time I can think of lol. But I guess that's why I haven't made a billion dollars!

You do know that Stephen Ross' "corner office" is a yacht, right?   Terry Pegula rarely attends a Sabres game because he's in his "corner office",  much closer to the equator,  as well.

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Take it from me, being retired and doing exactly what you want to when you want to is priceless.  I was a farm kid.  I started working for pay at 11 picking strawberries for 6 cents a quart, and I worked continuously for the next 55 years until I retired 8 years ago.    

You realize that almost all fortunes, not just in the US currently but all over the world throughout history, were created by someone screwing over other people.  It's just the way it is and has always been.

I mean, yeah. Should we ignore the present because of the past?

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Fanboi assessments on social media don't count... he is unravelling as more strings are pulled.

Because you don’t like someone doesn’t extinguish the reality I pointed out to the original poster lol.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, H2o said:

That's an insane amount of $$$ to turn down. But, if I had $$$ like an NFL owner, I would probably not be worried about it either if I just loved being around and a part of the game. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dolphins-not-for-sale-after-stephen-ross-rejects-10-billion-offer

My wife is in wealth management and it’s very common for someone to think they have “made it” when they sold their business for hundreds of millions of dollars. It’s also very common for many of them to wake up and wonder why they sold their baby. It was their purpose in life. You can only golf so much. 

If you are happy where you are, no need to be making major changes. At least, that’s the way I see it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I actually will be fine right now with no roof. I just hope it’s built with the potential to add a roof later. The NFL will be an indoor/ warm climate sport in a couple decades.

People always ask if we can add an additional upper floor to their building many years later, and we always tell them "probably not" without a ton of additional demolition. The same is true with adding a roof to an NFL Stadium. The Dolphins solution is about the only viable option. They added a canopy over Pro Player Stadium by building an entirely new, free standing structure outside the footprint of the original stadium.  And, if you look at the photo of the final model of the New Bills Stadium someone posted in the stadium construction thread you'll see that the overhang is not the least bit conducive to extending over the entire seating bowl let alone the entire field. So in a word....sorry.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

He already has $10 billion. What's he going to do with another $10 billion? You can't spend that much in a lifetime and he's an old man. I'm guessing owning the team brings him a lot of joy and notoriety.

I know a lot of people who own businesses that could sell and retire but then nobody will know or care who they are so they sit in their office and just enjoy being the "big guy." There's definitely more to life than money, especially if you already have enough

Yup...  I mean the whole reason I would want the $10B in the first place would be to buy a sports team (Bills or Lakers for me)  So if you already owned said team, why sell?  He doesn't need the money, but he is one of only 32 people who own an NFL franchise, its an exclusive and expensive club to be in.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Considering Miami is going to be under water in ~20 years, I don't know that he made a wise decision. 

Well, they are dolphins and all. Can’t be that bad. Also, sounds like the opposing team’s sideline will finally be cooler.

2 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Does he like Mai Tai’s or margaritas?

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

He already has $10 billion. What's he going to do with another $10 billion? You can't spend that much in a lifetime and he's an old man. I'm guessing owning the team brings him a lot of joy and notoriety.

I know a lot of people who own businesses that could sell and retire but then nobody will know or care who they are so they sit in their office and just enjoy being the "big guy." There's definitely more to life than money, especially if you already have enough

When you're that rich, the only thing you care about is being even more rich.

Apparently that is the billionaire mentality.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, H2o said:

That's an insane amount of $$$ to turn down. But, if I had $$$ like an NFL owner, I would probably not be worried about it either if I just loved being around and a part of the game. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dolphins-not-for-sale-after-stephen-ross-rejects-10-billion-offer

Once you have that kind of money it's not about the money anymore, it's about being in exclusive "clubs" and the NFL is the biggest sport in the world in terms of revenue generated and team value by a country mile so it's the most exclusive club there is...

9 of the top 15 valued franchises in ANY sport are in the NFL and 6 of the top 8 are NFL teams led by the Cowboys at over 9 Billion. Yankees are 2nd at 7.1 Billion and the Golden State Warriors are 3rd at 7.0 Billion. The next 5 teams are NFL teams.

Breakdown of the top 15:

9 NFL

3 NBA

1 MLB

1 Premier League Soccer Team

1 La Liga Soccer Team

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/worlds-most-valuable-sports-teams-2024/

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

People always ask if we can add an additional upper floor to their building many years later, and we always tell them "probably not" without a ton of additional demolition. The same is true with adding a roof to an NFL Stadium. The Dolphins solution is about the only viable option. They added a canopy over Pro Player Stadium by building an entirely new, free standing structure outside the footprint of the original stadium.  And, if you look at the photo of the final model of the New Bills Stadium someone posted in the stadium construction thread you'll see that the overhang is not the least bit conducive to extending over the entire seating bowl let alone the entire field. So in a word....sorry.

Could’ve let me believe it was possible for a few years! Just joking. Thanks for the info. 

5 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

To correct your statement: he moved To Florida to avoid some taxes.  Florida isn’t a place where you get tax amnesty.  

and honestly if it makes $ sense and it works for you who cares.  Nobody should be able to spend somebody else’s money.  Rich or poor 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What do you know anyway 😁

18 hours ago, BontitaBills said:

That 25% Pegs is looking for is going up every day.  

That's interesting that you say that.  

Given that the team, as some have expressed in the Kim thread, has lost it's bloom for Terry, what would he do if offered that $10B.

The cost to leave Buffalo for elsewhere is $850M, which seems like chump change in that regard.  A completely new majority owner might not view it the same.  

Point being, that $850M is hardly the poison pill that many seem to believe it is.  

• Agree 1

Noted in the article Ross is trying to sell a minority stake in the DOlphins and the F1 property, just like Pegula

He had been in talks to sell minority stakes in both the Dolphins and the F1 race to hedge-fund manager Ken Griffin, at a total valuation in excess of $7 billion.