RG3 Interview with Keon Coleman

Posted (edited)

It’s really easy to like him 

he may have a perfect balance of playfulness and serious football mindset

5 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I hope this happens, and in the endzone.

it won’t because Sauce will handcuff him. He’s never flagged for DPI

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

Let's hope that all of this charisma translates to the field more than it did at FSU.  

Oliver's very similar in that regard, a character, and he hasn't lived up to his draft status.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Let's hope that all of this charisma translates to the field more than it did at FSU.  

Oliver's very similar in that regard, a character, and he hasn't lived up to his draft status.  

Yeah these 1st rounders are usually engaging/endearing with their attitude when they arrive.   But as they fail to reach expectations they talk to the media less and blend back into the woodwork.     Oliver, Rousseau, Elam.........people were gushing about these guys.   Ed started getting chatty again once his play improved and he got extended.   Hopefully Rousseau and Elam break out this year and get back to being those engaging personalities with feel-good stories they were right after the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, wppete said:

IMG-3669.jpg

I highly doubt this is the way he will be beating Sauce Gardner.........if he ever does.   Sauce is a leaper,  has a longer frame and is much quicker/faster than Keon.   He will have to out physical a guy like Gardner.    I like the Davante Adams comp as a ceiling for Coleman but there is a lot of nuance to attain to get to that point.   

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah these 1st rounders are usually engaging/endearing with their attitude when they arrive.   But as they fail to reach expectations they talk to the media less and blend back into the woodwork.     Oliver, Rousseau, Elam.........people were gushing about these guys.   Ed started getting chatty again once his play improved and he got extended.   Hopefully Rousseau and Elam break out this year and get back to being those engaging personalities with feel-good stories they were right after the draft.

Yea, they’re talking because they’re given the podium when they’re drafted. Once games start it’s all about Josh and Diggs. I think you’re also taking away from Keon here. None of the players you mentioned have his personality. They were pretty bland to be honest. You’d better believe people will still want to talk to Keon even if he doesn’t have the prolific start we’re hoping for. 

On 4/30/2024 at 9:15 PM, MasterStrategist said:

Thanks for sharing @Rigotz

My Steelers connection told me Thursday afternoon (draft day) this was a Buffalo guy/going to be our pick, from what he gathered.  I was a bit skeptical...

But man, he couldn't have been more right! Sometimes you come across some special people, Keon seems like a very special guy/talent.  This guy's demeanor and approach to things, you can already tell he's going to be very successful.  

Can't imagine how floored Coach/Beane and staff were when meeting with him.

Going to be a fun year watching his and Josh's connection grow

I can't at all get an idea of how good he will be through all of these interviews he is going on.  It's likely the Bills PR apparatus is going into hype mode to shore up the lack of enthusiasm in this pick.

He's chatty!  He's funny!  He's....colloquial!  

On 5/1/2024 at 4:08 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t know, from everything I know Diggs was a great teammate and hard worker. He just didn’t want to play for the Bills anymore. 

Gabe Davis and Shakir looked up to him and both developed great work habits. I don’t think Diggs would’ve been a bad influence.

I know this thread is not about this, but Diggs has now forced a trade by two teams. Why did he want out of both Minnesota and Buffalo? Whatever the answer to that question is, it does not make Diggs a good teammate.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I can't at all get an idea of how good he will be through all of these interviews he is going on.  It's likely the Bills PR apparatus is going into hype mode to shore up the lack of enthusiasm in this pick.

He's chatty!  He's funny!  He's....colloquial!  

I think he's a natural "talker"/energetic dude.  Beane seemed to allude to his personality being very likeable, after the pick.

Re: interviews, I think the few things I'm learning about his game:

1. This guy lives/breathes football.  Talent is a big aspect of making it in the NFL, but a close second is the dedication and love of the game to drive you to be better

2. Attitude.  He's got the right attitude as a rookie, demonstrated by things he'd saying and doing:

a. importance of forming a close bond with Josh,

b.. how he is on the field/dawg/using his basketball skills to help him win 1-1 matchups, and

c. Reaching out to Reed already, yeah it might be a small thing, but not something everyone does and it shows his respect for the great players that came before him and the want to learn how to succeed and do well in the Blo community.  That says alot to me about this approach

3. Maturity, he seems like a fun/funny guy, but also very grounded

All this won't overcome a lack of route running/speed/ability to win 1-1, but it shows he's likely got the intangibles to succeed.  I have a feeling his talent will be displayed very early, with his wingspan and physicality at the route break/catch point.

Edited by MasterStrategist

38 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think he's a natural "talker"/energetic dude.  Beane seemed to allude to his personality being very likeable, after the pick.

Re: interviews, I think the few things I'm learning about his game:

1. This guy lives/breathes football.  Talent is a big aspect of making it in the NFL, but a close second is the dedication and love of the game to drive you to be better

2. Attitude.  He's got the right attitude as a rookie, demonstrated by things he'd saying and doing:

a. importance of forming a close bond with Josh,

b.. how he is on the field/dawg/using his basketball skills to help him win 1-1 matchups, and

c. Reaching out to Reed already, yeah it might be a small thing, but not something everyone does and it shows his respect for the great players that came before him and the want to learn how to succeed and do well in the Blo community.  That says alot to me about this approach

3. Maturity, he seems like a fun/funny guy, but also very grounded

All this won't overcome a lack of route running/speed/ability to win 1-1, but it shows he's likely got the intangibles to succeed.  I have a feeling his talent will be displayed very early, with his wingspan and physicality at the route break/catch point.

I've seen 2 extended interviews and he seems gregarious, I'll say that.

But if living and breathing football, which is every rookie before camp starts and reaching out to old vets was predictive of success, roster decisions would be a lot harder to make----and the D leagues like the UFL would be filled with A LOT more talent than they currently enjoy.

Only 2.b. in your list means anything in this assessment, however.  I will admit I've not seen a ton of this guy.  By putting it not not first or second on your list, I'm guessing you haven't either.

On 4/30/2024 at 10:28 PM, Dr. Who said:

Nah, if you don't love to eat, you can't be Buffalo. Food, the Bills, pray God, the Sabres, it's what we do.

Addendum, and if you listen to the conversation in context, the fella is very focused and bright. This is not someone who is indulgent, but actually pretty wise about allowing a small amount of comfort food into a diet that is not foolish. Not taking care of himself and getting out-of-shape is not going to be one of his vices.

I don't pray, but sure

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But if living and breathing football, which is every rookie before camp starts and reaching out to old vets was predictive of success, roster decisions would be a lot harder to make----and the D leagues like the UFL would be filled with A LOT more talent than they currently enjoy.

Only 2.b. in your list means anything in this assessment, however.  I will admit I've not seen a ton of this guy.  By putting it not not first or second on your list, I'm guessing you haven't either.

I don't disagree and I tried to premise in my post, that talent is the ultimate equalizer. 

Admittedly, I've only watched 30-40 minutes of YouTube snaps/not just highlights, from Mich ST and FL ST. 

2b is definitely the "talent" trait from the list that I posted.  The rest were qualities about Keon that touched more on what was learned from the couple interviews that I've seen. 

I was simply alluding that Keon has more talent than just on the field, he has the intangibles that should help as well (again big caveat,  just from watching 2 interviews).  The personalities I've been around like his are usually contagious, have just as much impact on the locker room/leadership as well.

Edited by MasterStrategist
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I made my wife watch it a few minutes ago and she’s ready to buy his jersey! (Sidenote: RG III is awesome and I feel like a dupe for falling for Danny Snyder’s character assassination campaign against him.)

Dan Snyder is a bellend.  (It's my first time using that word. It's part of the p----, or an annoying or contemptible man)

He has short man complex for sure. Glad he's gone.

10 minutes ago, boater said:

Dan Snyder is a bellend.  (It's my first time using that word. It's part of the p----, or an annoying or contemptible man)

He has short man complex for sure. Glad he's gone.

I’m afraid of getting on some “list” if I look it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

normally i dont even pay attention to these but this was an excellent watch, especially when they started talking football.

u notice a lot players we draft..they talk a lil...say good things but when it comes right down to saying hey im just plain better than

everyone else they back off.   keon he has respect but at the same time its a blatant..hey..dont come at me because i'll beat you.

his comment about ,..hey a guy wants to stick is arm up between mine i'll just clamp down and break it...see if he wants to still do that....

He's drivin..smart, focused and has that "im humble but im still better than you" mentally that you have to have.

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you're interested and have a half hour ...

If be curious your thoughts.