Jacksonville releases Zay Jones. Homecoming?

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Zay had some strong games for the Jags. He turned into a far more reliable receiver than I expected. I am surprised to see them release a guy who was their wr2 or 3 for much of the past 3 seasons.

I'd definitely bring him back, his 2nd best season ever was in Josh's rookie year. To me he's affordable depth/starting material if needed type. The only draw back is he does play STs. 

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Zay had some strong games for the Jags. He turned into a far more reliable receiver than I expected. I am surprised to see them release a guy who was their wr2 or 3 for much of the past 3 seasons.

They drafted Brian Thomas Jr. Zay Jones dead cap figure was also only $6.5M and they still have $34M in space after that. Jones also could have asked for his release after they drafted BTJ because he knew that he would be the odd man out between BTJ, Gabe, Kirk, and himself. 

31 minutes ago, boyst said:

Not just money wise. The allocation needs to be in other places.

Currently we have one full time outside WR on the roster. They have to add somebody IMO. A post-6/1 signing is the only thing that makes sense.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Currently we have one full time outside WR on the roster. They have to add somebody IMO. A post-6/1 signing is the only thing that makes sense.

Meh, I get depth purposes but I really don’t think Kincaid is coming off the field much. I wouldn’t be surprised, at all, to see 86 as one of the slot receivers in 4-WR sets. 

Even 5-wide I can see Cook or Knox being the fifth option. 

Do we Kick the tires on Zay Jones?

https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-release-wr-zay-jones-after-two-seasons

Per NFL News:

The Jags spent the offseason reworking the wide receiver room alongside Christian Kirk, adding speedster Gabe Davis in free agency and snagging Thomas at No. 23 overall during last week's first round. Jacksonville also has 2023 sixth-rounder Parker Washington and new return man Devin Duvernay. In addition, veteran Jarvis Landry is trying out at the Jags' rookie minicamp. Jones, a former second-round pick by the Buffalo Bills in 2017, spent the past two seasons in Jacksonville. He generated a career-high 823 yards on 82 catches with five touchdowns in 2022. In 2023, the wideout missed eight games due to injury, putting up 34 catches, 321 yards and two TDs.

Jones plays primarily a boundary role but does have some flexibility to take snaps in the slot if needed. He should find a landing spot this summer for a club seeking low-cost veteran help on the outside.

The Jags signed Jones to a three-year, $24 million contract with $14 million guaranteed in 2022. Releasing him after two years saves the club $4.18 million on the cap with $6.57 million in dead money.

Slye signed in Jacksonville

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

i hate to say it but Jones would fit with experience and ability but he is probably too expensive for his worth.

We've brought back guys like Shaq Lawson, Jordan Phillips, AJ Klein even Josh Norman, John Brown and Cole Beasley. I have no issues bringing back Zay Jones as he's a proven NFL WR. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

There is already a thread on this, two down from this one, just sayin, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The dude was running around a Motel 8 with his junk flopping around and waving it at the patrons, so i'm willing to bet that he's not a character guy that McD wants back........just a hunch.

• Haha (+1) 2