What's the point of this team's philosophy?

1 hour ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Edit: BuffaloBillyG posed pretty much my answer at the same time

Sweats kind of beat me to the punch. Teams with big arm quarterbacks are seeing a lot of cover 2/ 2 deep defensive shells and are very limited on throwing the long ball..think Mahommes was limited on throwing the long ball last year as well.

So what's the solution? A good run game..mismatch tight end...and big playmaking receivers that have good RAC...

Pretty obvious why Beane went the direction he did based on this philosophy. 

Opposing DCs aren’t stupid. In general they moved to playing a lot of coverages like two deep to take away deep throws down the sidelines. That reduced explosive plays league wide. But I think the problem is that you need to be able to threaten deep or defenses will play more MOFC coverages like C-1 and C-3 that are better against the run and seam routes. No decent DC is going to sit in a C-2 and C-4 all day against a team that can’t reliably threaten deep. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You have a QB that's a Maserati. He's built for bombs away. But instead of building your offense for that, you build it for plodding, 10 yards at a time max, 10 minute drive offense. So I ask, what is the point?

What's the point of having a guy who's designed by nature to bomb the football deep and whose weakness is dink and dunk stuck in an offensive scheme that is built to do just that?

Why not offload him for someone who's better suited for that kind of thing if you refuse to play to his strengths? That's what I can't wrap my head around. It makes no sense.

One thing about how teams defend Josh Allen is he gets 2 high safeties probably the most in the league. That’s even without a speedy deep threat.

I think they’re trying to build an offense that uses short passes and the run game to defeat 2 high safeties.

Also Josh is never shy about forcing it even vs 2 high safeties. I think the design of the offense is attempting to get Josh safer throws. He’ll still throw some of them.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve never understood this take on Josh Allen. His strength is NOT the deep ball. In fact the deep ball just exposes his well documented weakness…which is accuracy. His strength is throwing the ball hard! To play to his strength he needs receivers who can hang on to his fast ball. 

He is accurate.  How many times have you seen him drill the ball into a really tight spot.  If you expect a a throw that goes 50-60 yards in the air to drop on a dime every QB in the league will disappoint.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

*****in' A, Bubba. McBeane continues to build defense while giving Josh second-tier skill players.   Sherfield and Sharty were *****in' jokes, and this year it's Hollins and Hamler.  We now have the weakest WR corps(e) since 2018.  This is shaping up as yet another wasted season for Josh, unless Coleman is the next Ja'Marr Chase. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Teams defend Josh Allen/Bills very similar to how they defend Patrick Mahomes/Chiefs.  They key on stopping the deep stuff.

I have zero problem with us focusing on the easy/underneath throws.  That's what works the best in today's NFL.

However, I do think you need a legitimate speed threat on the outside to keep defenses honest.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He is accurate.  How many times have you seen him drill the ball into a really tight spot.  If you expect a a throw that goes 50-60 yards in the air to drop on a dime every QB in the league will disappoint.

We’re splitting hairs here. Of the two, his bigger strength is throwing the ball hard, not pinpointing his spot. That would be true if he was a baseball pitcher…and everyone in the league would know it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Patty Mahomes said a few years back, he had to change his game. He recognized the Deep ball wasn't going to be there as much and he said something to the effect he had to get used to something like 8-12 play drives instead of 3-5 play drives.  He does not like it, but he did, and they won superbowls.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve never understood this take on Josh Allen. His strength is NOT the deep ball. In fact the deep ball just exposes his well documented weakness…which is accuracy. His strength is throwing the ball hard! To play to his strength he needs receivers who can hang on to his fast ball. 

Which Coleman will be able to do. People aren’t talking enough about his ridiculous hands. Shakhir and Kincaid have good hands too. In fact, the last three receiving prospects they have drafted all have good hands. Something they prioritize, clearly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The “point” is 2nd most wins in the league over the last 4 years. I have just watched the Chiefs win 2 SBs without a #1 WR!  It’s pretty evident this offseason won’t be close to done until after June 1. Chill out. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’re splitting hairs here. Of the two, his bigger strength is throwing the ball hard, not pinpointing his spot. That would be true if he was a baseball pitcher…and everyone in the league would know it. 

When he came out everyone said the knock on him was that he wasn’t accurate, that he could never learn to be accurate, that you can’t teach accuracy, and so on.  Anyone watching him knows that’s wrong.  He puts it right on guys, and does so with speed, on intermediate routs, our routes, and such. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You have a QB that's a Maserati. He's built for bombs away. But instead of building your offense for that, you build it for plodding, 10 yards at a time max, 10 minute drive offense. So I ask, what is the point?

What's the point of having a guy who's designed by nature to bomb the football deep and whose weakness is dink and dunk stuck in an offensive scheme that is built to do just that?

Why not offload him for someone who's better suited for that kind of thing if you refuse to play to his strengths? That's what I can't wrap my head around. It makes no sense.

Beane likes his guys. Good character, slow, and tough 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

When he came out everyone said the knock on him was that he wasn’t accurate, that he could never learn to be accurate, that you can’t teach accuracy, and so on.  Anyone watching him knows that’s wrong.  He puts it right on guys, and does so with speed, on intermediate routs, our routes, and such. 

That’s true. He’s clearly improved. But…that still doesn’t make the deep ball his greatest strength. 

• Agree 1

Before Dorsey was fired, the offense was spinning it's wheels because we were relying too much on Diggs and the long ball. The offense did much better when Allen was spreading it around to Kincaid, Cook and Shakir.

I do not mind that there will be five or six regular players to throw to. I am a little more concerned that there is no true elite #1 target, but maybe Kincaid, Coleman or Shakir can develop into that.

31 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Wasn't Mahomes last in the league in depth of target? If not last, bottom 5, can say the same thing about their O. Allen still throws bombs and lasers

Mahomes had to adjust his game for similar reasons. 2 high safeties. Allen still forces it at times.

Unloading Allen would be the dumbest thing that this team did from a historical perspective.  

However, he is not efficient at the high-percentage passing game, and he will need to be given this cast.  

As it is, his passing metrics dropped significantly under Brady, which means we're far from getting the most out of him in the passing game.  That's due to McD and his misplaced "complimentary football" MO, how he defines that.  

Allen's really going to have to be at the top of his short-medium game if this is too work out optimally.  Unfortunately that's not playing to his strengths.  

Poor and inexperienced coaching on the offensive side is holding him, and therefore the team, back.  

There's zero creativity on offense, which should have been and be the strength of it team while Allen's our QB.  But instead it's the defense.  

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s true. He’s clearly improved. But…that still doesn’t make the deep ball his greatest strength. 

When you throw a pass like that maybe 1-2 times a game does that need to be his strength?

• Like (+1) 1