Beane: "This team is in transition"

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is a joke right? 

The old guard aged themselves off the roster. Hyde and Poyer were old two years ago. Beane couldn’t secure a succession plan through the draft, necessitating a 2nd rounder at S to walk in and START. 

Beane gave Diggs the massive contract 2 years before his deal was up. He signed Von Miller. He literally CREATED the cap problems. 

Sure, Morse was getting older and that was a tough decision, but IOL is worse without him. Again, BECAUSE of Beane.

He accomplished trying to fix the roster he ***** up lmao

But Why Miller? There is no way McD didn’t have a large part to play in that choice. 
   The old We took a shot excuse. They should have surrounded Josh with more talent but the pissed the money away on an aging vet edge.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't just his words. It's his actions more than anything. Trading down whenever possible. Trading a pick this year for a pick next year. Cutting a bunch of veterans. Trading Diggs for a future pick and taking on a larger cap hit this year. When he says it's a "transition year" it's pretty easy to read into what that means.

By the way I have zero issue with the moves we made to trim the fat and prepare the team for the 2nd window of Allen's career. All of that I thought was necessary, and I appreciate that Beane didn't half ass it. My issue is that in a rebuild year his draft picks mostly represented short term thinking. A safety, a backup DT, and a backup RB end up being the middle of our draft. None of those picks are going to be difference makers in 2025, I'm sorry they just won't be. Carter is the only one that has a snowball's chance in hell. But they're all great guys with great back stories and they fill immediate needs, so Beane did the usual thing and stayed in his comfort zone.

Just once I would love for these guys to go outside their comfort zone. Instead of taking the team captain with a high motor (but no athletic upside for the motor to unlock), take the physical specimen that shows up late to meetings and talks back to his coaches. Instead of taking a safety or a low upside pass rusher in the 2nd round because they think he can start from day one, take a guy that is all boom or bust. Really go for it. They haven't half assed the tear down but they're half assing the rebuild, and you can already sense the excuses and low expectations they are trying to set ahead of time.

That's a pretty rough assessment.  I respect where you're coming from, but view it differently.  Bishop is going to start, imo - and be an upgrade over an aging, oft-injured Poyer.  And I think Davis could be big for us - most teams have 2 complimentary backs, and he brings something to the table that Cook doesn't really have.  We have needed that, and have generally looked to aging vets for it.

I don't think we sacrificed talent for high character, either.  There were no reaches in this draft for the Bills.  They took needs, good value, and leaders.  Leaders are awesome to have.  A very solid argument could be made that we have had very few over the years JA has been at the helm. Diggs was kind of the guy you're describing above - incredibly talented, but disruptive & a distraction.  He led by example, but not by strength of character.

Obviously, we won't know a thing until we're well into the season.  But think a lot of the guys we picked could make significant contributions this season, and that we could be surprised by how good the team is at the end.  Key word being "could."  I really don't know, but I think there is as much chance that we improve as there is we slide back.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Perhaps…The only thing that concerns me is that Beane said no trade is coming at his presser.  The available options at WR in FA really aren’t that great either - especially when you consider what type of player the Bills need.  

I guess I'll have to listen to Beane's presser.  Beane is notorious for setting the bar low but you're the second one to say that Beane said no trade is coming.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

How are we worse than the team that lost that game to the Chiefs? Because to be quite frank, I believe team we field this season will be much, much better.

Continuity!

The loss of multiple vets, at various positions on O and D , who knew what they were supposed to do and were experienced.

McD has to start at square 1 with a lot of these Rookies. That counts for a lot.

And, that wasn’t even close to a game we “ almost won”. The Chiefs played smart ball and let us beat ourselves….. which we did.

Remember that awesome fake punt attempt that no one saw coming… oy vey…. There was some high level coaching for you.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This quote from Beane defines the entire draft strategy:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

I think this is a fair take.  But given the Bills picks, where in particular do you think they could have taken higher talent at more premium positions?

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think this is a fair take.  But given the Bills picks, where in particular do you think they could have taken higher talent at more premium positions?

I could be wrong, naturally, but very briefly, here's my take. I like the draft more than Happy. I give it a B+. I actually don't find any of the picks outrageous, except maybe the last one, and that is so fun, I'm not mad about it. Maybe he becomes something useful, I dunno. I wasn't happy about Coleman for reasons I've specified too many times on this board. He still might work out, and he's certainly an entirely amiable kid, which is splendid weather after the end of the Diggs affair.

I doubt top 3 WR was ever in the cards, and I'm not really sure about Thomas. I liked Legette over Coleman, but Beane clearly did not. I think they needed to add another WR talent from this draft early. The alternate strategy would have involved using some 2025 draft capital and moving up for another WR. I liked McConkey, personally. The upshot is you wouldn't have gotten Bishop, maybe. You'd end up with more holes, and probably an overall draft grade lower than B+. On the other hand, you'd have placed more emphasis on a reset that favored weighting the roster construction towards offensive production, and tolerating less depth.

I'm afraid Beane's strategy is too risk averse, and that misses on Miller and the way Diggs ended has reaffirmed the regimes' baseline proclivities towards high-character effort players that may become good players, but probably don't have a ceiling that could reach elite playmaker. I'm not convinced they aren't in a pattern that tops out as perennial playoff team. OTOH, they easily could have won last year, even with debilitating injuries on defense.

I'll feel better about this draft if Beane adds a good to very good WR through trade or free agency post 6/1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Beane's game with fans is to set expectations low under the guise of "shooting straight with them".

Then if they exceed the expectations he graciously accepts the accolades.

This situation is no different.

Game's over next year........when it becomes imperative to convince Allen to sign a new contract extension.   

And when they don't meet expectations, he offers a weak excuse like not being able to draft a JaMarr Chase-type WR because their QB was healthy.  A fan can live with that if there's improvement the following season, but that didn't happen in 2023.  It was same old, same old.  

I've always wondered when Beane would come to the realization that being tied at the hip of McDermott was an anchor on his career.  Because as much as McD got him this job, it's McD whose plan largely drives personnel decisions.

And, that plan does not seem to consider that Josh could want out because his career is physically and competitively being hampered by McBeane.       

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I’d give Beane a B+ for this draft. I think overall he added a lot of nice, cheap, quality depth to this team, but did he add any quality game changers to this team like MHJ, Nabers or Odunze? I’m not saying he did, but I’m not saying he didn’t either. Beane essentially cut a bunch of old and overpriced players from the roster and added a bunch of youth. Well done, imo.

28 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

And when they don't meet expectations, he offers a weak excuse like not being able to draft a JaMarr Chase-type WR because their QB was healthy.  A fan can live with that if there's improvement the following season, but that didn't happen in 2023.  It was same old, same old.  

I've always wondered when Beane would come to the realization that being tied at the hip of McDermott was an anchor on his career.  Because as much as McD got him this job, it's McD whose plan largely drives personnel decisions.

And, that plan does not seem to consider that Josh could want out because his career is physically and competitively being hampered by McBeane.       

Yes! 🙌 

We don't have Morse, Poyer, Hyde, Diggs, Tre, and Gabe. Allen is the only remaining captain on the roster. 

Regardless of what moves we made did it really require Beane saying we are in transition? It seems sort of obvious given the roster changes. 

Transition also doesn't have to mean we won't be competitive.  We went 6-1 the last 7 games with Diggs and Davis contributing 46 catches for 571 yards and 3 TD's.  They just didn't exist. To me it's not unreasonable to think Kincaid will increase his contributions signifgantly. Knox could increase as well. Shakir is likely to keep getting better as he has each year he has played. So I ask myself, can Kincaid/Shakir +1 year, along with Samuel, and Coleman best last years group the 2nd half of the way when we went 6-1? Why not? 

Then you shift to defense. What did Poyer and Hyde have left in the tank? Poyer was brutally slow. Hyde couldn't stay healthy. Tre was a leader in spirit more than body. So we add Cole Bishop to that group. Rapp gets more familiar with the system. Bernard has another year. AJ has another year. Groot, ED, and oh ya, Milano comes back. Jones is healthy. Perhaps Von gives us 10+ sacks, which I think he will.  So why again won't the defense be just as good with potential to be better? They're younger and more athletic. 

I actually think with all of our "transition" this team will be better next year. We won't have better depth. We might also take some time to come together as always is the case. But it's not very difficult to see how we replace what we have lost and how that could even grow.

Now does all this give me confidence that we can win more than a wild card? Not really. I can't view this team as clutch and mentally hardened until they show they're on that stage. But if the questions is can we get back to find out this year? Sure.  

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

Is that the one where the turtle eats the scorpion at the end? #badassturtle

star wars turtle GIF

Lol I needed that. It's the one where there is a flood, and the scorpion convinces the turtle to give him a ride.  Half way across the scorpion stings the turtle which will quickly paralyze him killing both.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Lol I needed that. It's the one where there is a flood, and the scorpion convinces the turtle to give him a ride.  Half way across the scorpion stings the turtle which will quickly paralyze him killing both.  

Ahhh so in this analogy who is the scorpion stinging and who is the turtle?  I mean they both are who they are...lol

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He is giving it to us straight. The Bills are in a rebuild year. So he went for all team captains. Guys that interviewed well. Guys that he believes set a new foundation of leadership in the building. He hunted for short term needs that fit the singular character profile he and McDermott feel comfortable with, at the expense of talent at premium positions. And he is telling the fanbase to temper our expectations without coming right out and saying it.

I'm not gonna grade a draft until we see how all the players turn out, but the overall philosophy shown this weekend is deflating and uninspiring.

Transition is way different than rebuilding 

It's closer to reloading... 

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Thats not what he was saying though.  Go listen to the interview.  He said what I’ve been saying for months, the team is being built tougher with more edge so we stop playing so soft in the playoffs and get out bullied.  

He’s looking for edge on these guys and leadership.  This quote was taken out of context and he wasn’t saying we are rebuilding.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Process said:

I think Beane was very careful not to trade picks from next year. It seems like they are planning on next off season being when they go for it and make some bigger moves. 

It's disappointing, but I still think it's a team that can compete for a Superbowl this year. 

The process for this draft and next is bring in as much competition as possible and see if we can’t find half a dozen wall of fame dudes. That’s the foundation for multiple Super Bowls. Then next off season smash FA with a WR and an edge. Super Bowl Champions 2025-2026. 

Super Star FA WR1, Coleman WR2, Shakir WR3, Samuel ATH, Kincaid, Davis & Cook.

You like that..?!

(sorry, McBeane, that I gave away your entire regime strategy.)