Rd 6, Pick 219: CB Daequan Hardy, Penn State

Undersized, but speedy.  He's pretty much limited to slot corner on defense, and Taron Johnson is going to get the lions share of reps there for the foreseeable future.  He'll make his money on special teams and wait for a chance to play on defense.  Good pick at that point in the draft.

30 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Undersized, but speedy.  He's pretty much limited to slot corner on defense, and Taron Johnson is going to get the lions share of reps there for the foreseeable future.  He'll make his money on special teams and wait for a chance to play on defense.  Good pick at that point in the draft.

They need depth a Nickel corner nice pick 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

39 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Johnson started to slip a little last year and has an out after 2026.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

I've followed this kid as a lightly recruited 3* kid out of Pittsburgh who Franklin wanted but no one else really did (PSU was his only P5 offer), to turning himself into one of the best slot corners in the Big 10. Kid can fly, very good in coverage, and is gonna be a great teammate. Pure fighter. 

Ironically he was ready to play at UB until he almost single handedly won the Pennsylvania State Title game and got the late offer from PSU. Love Hardy… great kid, super competitor.  Was overshadowed by others (Joey Porter Jr, Kalen King was a pre-season all American, etc) but outplayed them all.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, WeckMonster said:

Ironically he was ready to play at UB until he almost single handedly won the Pennsylvania State Title game and got the late offer from PSU. Love Hardy… great kid, super competitor.  Was overshadowed by others (Joey Porter Jr, Kalen King was a pre-season all American, etc) but outplayed them all.

Agree here other than JPJ, who I think should have gone in the teens last draft

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bills love getting these Pittsburgh-area DBs. I wonder if they have a scout tied to the area. Dane Jackson, Damar, and now Hardy. 

I wouldn't be surprised, not too far from Buffalo.

I'm in Pitt suburbs, love seeing the local talent go to Buffalo!

Interesting coincidence that Hardy picked PSU over Univ of Buffalo, for college.  Now coming back to where he's meant to be!

This dude was one heck of a player in High School Western PA football.  He had an epic State Title game against Manheim Central, basically Revis-like (when at Aliquippa).

He'll find his way onto the roster.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I wouldn't be surprised, not too far from Buffalo.

I'm in Pitt suburbs, love seeing the local talent go to Buffalo!

Interesting coincidence that Hardy picked PSU over Univ of Buffalo, for college.  Now coming back to where he's meant to be!

This dude was one heck of a player in High School Western PA football.  He had an epic State Title game against Manheim Central, basically Revis-like (when at Aliquippa).

He'll find his way onto the roster.

The Bills after their top 4 corners don’t have too much competition and they usually carry 6 corners with Lewis listing as a safety who can play corner in a pinch.

So Hardy will likely slot in as the 5th corner and primary Taron backup. I think they probably like Ingram as the other backup boundary CB.

• Agree 4

His tape is fantastic.  Both at slot and as a punt returner. 

Great pick!   We finally have a real backup to Taron Johnson and can justify it even further by having him return punts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bills love getting these Pittsburgh-area DBs. I wonder if they have a scout tied to the area. Dane Jackson, Damar, and now Hardy. 

Well Penn State is hundreds of miles from Pittsburgh so they're really not the same area 

And Terry Smith has been the cornerbacks coach at Penn State for years now

Respected guy.. he runs a disciplined system... We're looking for scheme fits late in the draft at defensive back 

Penn State and Pittsburgh run DB friendly systems that translate to our system 

Edited by Buffalo716

32 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well Penn State is hundreds of miles from Pittsburgh so they're really not the same area 

Respected guy.. he runs a disciplined system... We're looking for scheme fits late in the draft at defensive back 

The kid is from Aliquippa. That's what he's referring to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hardy graduated from Penn Hills high school, about 10 mile away from downtown Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DJB said:

Punt return guy that plays nickel 

I think he also ran one of the top 10 fastest 40’s this year 

I heard we need a fast burner and deep threat so the only metric available is the 40 time.  We should move him to WR immediately. Our only shot a a SB this year 🤡

• Haha (+1) 1

So, I found a write-up about Hardy's state championship game in high school.  https://tribhssn.triblive.com/penn-hills-daequan-hardy-has-revis-like-performance-in-piaa-class-5a-championship-victory/

HERSHEY — Fifteen years have passed since Darrelle Revis played here, and tales continue to be told about his incredible day at Hersheypark Stadium.

Fifteen years from now, they’ll still talk about Daequan Hardy’s.

The Penn Hills senior returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown in Friday night’s 36-31 victory over Manheim Central in the PIAA Class 5A championship, but that record-tying, goal-line-to-goal-line sprint was only one piece of Hardy’s all-around unforgettable night.

Hardy scored four times and made three interceptions as Penn Hills (16-0) celebrated the second state title in school history and its first in 23 years.

“Revis had what, four or five touchdowns in a state championship game?” said Penn Hills coach Jon LeDonne, himself a 2001 Aliquippa graduate. “Daequan Hardy is very close, a very special kid, Revis-like.”

Along with his 100-yard interception return, Hardy had touchdown catches of 74 and 27 yards and returned a kickoff 84 yards for a touchdown.

“I didn’t think this was going to happen how it happened,” Hardy said, “but I’m happy it did.”

“It should be up there with the best performances in state history,” LeDonne added.

The do-it-all receiver and cornerback raised his season touchdown total to 22, a collection that now includes 12 receiving, five rushing, three on interception returns, one punt return and one kickoff return.

Friday’s performance stirred memories from 2003, when Revis scored five touchdowns three different ways in an individual performance that pushed Aliquippa to a state title.

Hardy was just as spectacular.

“It was nothing short of amazing, but it’s not surprising,” said quarterback Hollis Mathis, who threw two of his three touchdowns to Hardy. “He’s the best player in the state, hands down. The best defender in the state, the best DB in the state, the best all-around player in the state and it’s showed.

“You don’t make an impact like that in the state championship game and not be the best player in the state.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6