Rd 3, Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

SDS

10 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Unfortunately, I think they think Samuel and Coleman are the Diggs and Davis replacements and anyone else would just be depth (though we just picked a depth DT). Even if that is the case, we should want better depth than Justin Shorter 🤢, Mack Hollins, and Andy Isaballa

Who says that we are done? Buffalo has enough picks for trade capital.  Maybe Franklin falls to Buffalo or Buffalo moves up to get him. Maybe a trade for Aiyuk or Higgins is on the table.

I would prefer a veteran. Any Receiver left in the draft is no more or less likely to contribute this year than Shorter, Hollins or Isabella.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me guess "I dont know his name, he sucks just like Bernard, Taron, Shakir, Milano, and all suck and were the wrong picks of people I didn't know"  

Everyone throwing a tantrum over the guy every team in the NFL has passed on 3 times now in Franklin.  And its only the Bills though making the mistake of not taking future HOF WR Troy Franklin lol

Everyone sick of wasting first and second day picks on McDs D and not getting much production in return.  Seems they are better picking D players late and O players early. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Oh well, the faster McD is gone, the faster this team has a real shot at winning a Super Bowl. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Someone said he has big thighs which is good but 305 pounds is a bit skinny for a DT. Let's get this man into some local eateries for some off-season work! 

300 lbs is a typical 3 tech

4 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Nope, I’ve never said this dude sucks. And I’m not a Franklin guy. 

I do think once again that we are falling short of giving #17 the weapons he needs and don’t understand the benefit of the doubt that Beane and McD are getting from some of you on it while McD and the high amount of resources he’s gotten for his defenses have let us down literally every single postseason and every single big moment. 

17 now has 4 legit undeneath targets who are all good to great in Kincaid, Knox, Shakir and Curtis Samuel, and then we just added a bona fide deep threat/deeper route concept guy and cn complement him with last year;s 5th rounder who does that in Justin Shorter, and whats brand new compared to last season, 2 of those underneath guys can be deep guys and YAC guys in Shakir and Samuel.  Then you also have James Cook who is a top 3 weapon out of the backfield in thee NFL.  

If Allen cant crush it with what he's been given, then he's not the guy we think he is - and already proven to be.

This WR set is now deeper, faster, and better than anything Allen has had since 2021, and possibly then to because there's more versatility here

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

They have to their old as hell. Year after year the Bills fill gaps with 1 year guys especially at DT. I think they wanted to move on from Daquon Jones tbh but had no one at 1 Tech so they brought him back. He’s 33 coming off a serious injury.  Austin Johnson is on a 1 year deal and then they have fodder like Eli Ankou. They need some stability and youth at positions including DT. Most fans only care about the given year which is fine 

Is Carter going to be Chris Jones probably not but he can develop into a good backup 3 Tech and possible future 1 Tech. It’s pick 95 not 25 

And we still have five more meaningful picks RDs 4-5 to add even more young depth to this team. Like you said, probably no superstars but I’m not going to say that it couldn’t happen. 

1. Anyone thinking that the 95th pick in the draft is supposed to be a year 1 starter is taking crazy pills. The 1st and 2nd round are for starters, the 3rd round and beyond are for depth and developmental players. At least that's how it works for good teams, which the Bills are. The only way the 95th pick in a shallow draft is starting for you is if you're a bad team, which the Bills aren't.

2. DT3T was a need. Leadership was a need. Dewayne Carter appears to tick both boxes.

3. I would've preferred an offensive player. I liked Troy Franklin. Obviously, I know nothing. Or at least I should say that NFL teams clearly knowing something that I don't. There's obviously a reason that a guy many of us would have been okay with in the 2nd round is still on the board at the start of the 4th. So yeah, in a vacuum, it's irritating when your team doesn't take a guy you like that seems like a screaming value when he's still on the board late in the 3rd round, but...WR is a fairly premium position, so there must be a REASON that Franklin is still on the board.

4. Clearly WR is a deep position this year, and I'm hoping that the Bills take one in the 4th round. Either that or that they trade for a veteran. Coleman-Samuel-Shakir-Hollins is not a very inspiring depth chart in my opinion. One more legit dude needed.

Overall for day two: I didn't like the Coleman pick (I understand it, but I don't love the player), I quite liked the Bishop pick, and the Carter pick makes sense to me as a logical selection at a needed position. More help is needed on offense, and I hope they find some either with their remaining picks or via free agency. Not my favorite draft class ever, but I'm not out on a ledge or anything.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Are you saying drafting Troy Franklin or fill in the blank would have put us over the top in January on third and goal from the eight?

Shirley.

I'm saying drafting two WRs doubles the chance one of them is good.

There are not 5 NFL quality WRs on the roster right now. It's a joke. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

You realize we had exactly 3 legit rotation players at DT yes? Like Ankou and DeShawn Williams are practice squad level players. Like Williams singed a $1M deal. at 31. 

You could have argued that DT rotation was a bigger need than perimeter WR, because at least Justin Shorter exists.

I am not a fan of drafting these players as early as they do with the speciation that they will be rotational players. It’s more on my dislike of mcduppie using his 13 man rotation on game days on the DL that bothers me. He’s every team rotates; not to the extent that McD does. He believes it works because it keeps guys fresh. This is a false argument. You get good players at positions and you keep your playmakers in the games when it matters most. 

and I am perfectly fine picking guys off the street that are bagging groceries to come in and battle for backup to the backup roles. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Tocuhe...but AZ and Was passed on him 4 to 5 times each, so it balances lol

Naw. It was stated that EVERY TEAM passed on him 3 times. This is a false. 

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

17 now has 4 legit undeneath targets who are all good to great in Kincaid, Knox, Shakir and Curtis Samuel, and then we just added a bona fide deep threat/deeper route concept guy and cn complement him with last year;s 5th rounder who does that in Justin Shorter. Then you also have James Cook who is a to p3 weapon out of the backfield in thee NFL.  

If Allen cant crush it with what he's been given, then he's not the guy we think he is - and already proven to be.

This WR set is now deeper, faster, and better than anything Allen has had since 2021, and possibly then to because there's more versatility here

Omg

Just now, appoo said:

17 now has 4 legit undeneath targets who are all good to great in Kincaid, Knox, Shakir and Curtis Samuel, and then we just added a bona fide deep threat/deeper route concept guy and cn complement him with last year;s 5th rounder who does that in Justin Shorter. Then you also have James Cook who is a to p3 weapon out of the backfield in thee NFL.  

When you're saying Shorter has to be an option on offense - that's the issue. And I think you're over-egging the pudding about the targets. Kincaid and Shakir are very good but still learning, as is Cook. Coleman is unproven. Samuel is decent. None of them are elite, at least yet. The Bills have gone backwards, and will be expecting even more from Josh to be successful as it stands.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

A young DT was a huge need. Yeah, Beane recently found some bodies, but he always does at positions of need before the draft, just in case. With our rotation, and keeping DTs fresh and healthy anyways, Carter should see the field and have chances to contribute as much as any "starter".

Franklin, Rice, Baker, and Tez Walker are all still out there and dont seem to be flying off the shelf any time soon.

It aint over.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me guess "I dont know his name, he sucks just like Bernard, Taron, Shakir, Milano, and all suck and were the wrong picks of people I didn't know"  

Everyone throwing a tantrum over the guy every team in the NFL has passed on 3 times now in Franklin.  And its only the Bills though making the mistake of not taking future HOF WR Troy Franklin lol

nobody ever said he's a hall of famer, that's just a bull#### strawman and you know it.  this team is bereft of threatening outside recievers, and our best player happens to be our big armed qb, so maybe that would be a position of need. neh?   maybe it's not this one particular pick, but the overall draft that has people upset, neh?  maybe it's drafting players projected to be backups while having a glaring need for a starter at another spot is a problem?  maybe not spending more lottery tickets to enable your franchise player rather than enabling depth on the other side of the ball strikes reasonable people the wrong way?  No, no, the all-knowing alphadawg, millionaire superbowl winning gm posing as a prole on a message board knows better and has the right to talk down to everyone else.  beane has never been wrong and you're all stupid for stating the obvious.

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Nope, I’ve never said this dude sucks. And I’m not a Franklin guy. 

I do think once again that we are falling short of giving #17 the weapons he needs and don’t understand the benefit of the doubt that Beane and McD are getting from some of you on it while McD and the high amount of resources he’s gotten for his defenses have let us down literally every single postseason and every single big moment. 

You do realize that we are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL over the past 4 seasons, our QB is a perennial MVP candidate and averages 5100 yards and 44 TD's over that span right?  

People act like Allen has had no help at all.  Beane traded up for Kincaid last year, we have a young WR in Shakir who just led the NFL in efficiency, catch rate, and yards per target who plays like a mini Deebo, we have a duel threat RB, and signed a quality veteran in Samuel.  Now we just added top prospect in the draft at WR too.  Plus we still have Knox and him combined with Kincaid gives us one of the best TE rooms in the NFL.  

This notion Allen has no weapons is just a gross exaggeration.  

Im telling you now...Allen very well could have his best season of his career this season.  Shakir and Coleman bring some much needed toughness to the offense.  Where was Diggs when the season got late and games got more physical?  Allens INT rate was double throwing to Diggs and Davis than it was throwing to everyone else. 

Allen is going to spread the ball around and now has a guy who can go up and get balls too, which we sorely needed.  We went from drop city to a team made up of guys with great hands and intelligence.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2