Rd 3, Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

SDS

2 minutes ago, joey greco said:

yea a twitter nobody said that josh wanted him, that's as meanngful as stash on gr saying it, ***** off with that *****.  a day 3 outside guy is the same as saying an outside guy doesn't matter.  in certain offenses, sure.  when you have josh allen, no.  Since you mention the targets we have on the roster, let's break it down.  They're all short yardage/over the middle guys.  guess what good defenses will do?  Oh, hey, what does that do to your rb threat, james cook?  Oh *****, well at least we have a good rotational dt.

Okay lol

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You mean Fraziers defense since McD's first year running the defense didn't do that last year.  

No, this is classic McD apologist propaganda. 

It's McD's team, and his proficiency is defense. Frazier was a coordinator under McD's overall defensive philosophy. If he didn't like what Frazier was doing at any point during that time, he could have worked with him to make changes or fired him. It is the most nonsensical thing to say that if Frazier was such a big problem, that somehow McD is blameless when he held all the power to make any change he wanted and kept him for years. And yes, the D did do it again last year..."but injuries". 

Again, given McD's history of postseason failures and chokejobs...we need to give Allen enough to put up almost a perfect game, because that's what we've seen is needed to beat the Chiefs with McD holding us back. Allen was GREAT in 2 of those games and we still lost. It's just not enough, that is again the reality of the burden of having McD here. 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

I don't disagree. But come on, doing it yourself that many times shows you don't have the red zone targets you need.

I think Allen prefers to run it in himself vs not enough targets, especially close to the goal line. 

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Considering it’s the defense that continually fails in the post-season it’s probably a good idea. 

Considering it’s the defense that continually fails in the post-season it’s probably a good idea. 

If the offense was more consistent you may not need to rely on the d to make a stop to win the game.

From Dane Brugler:

STRENGTHS: Filled-out, proportionate frame with length … flashes quickness to create penetration … pumps his legs like pistons and uses body bend to drive blockers
backwards and collapse the pocket … uses large, violent hands and upper-body strength to work half-a-man … stays square when working down the line with the
balance to make plays in smaller spaces … never throws up the white flag early and teammates feed off his relentless energy … he was a three-time team captain and
served as a member of the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee (2021-22) … well-known for his community activism and was awarded the 2023 Jack Tatum Award
as the ACC’s top student-athlete … played a lot of football (52 games played) and started every game the last three seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Aggressive into blocks but frequently late to disengage and make a stop in the hole … leaves too much tackle production on th e field because his
urgency will backfire and leave him out of position to make stops … can be moved by drive blockers and needs t o do a better job resetting his base to anchor down in
the run game … late off the snap too often … his counters are based more on hustle than true pass rush sequencing … his senio r year production fell well below
expectations … will turn 24 years old during his NFL rookie season.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Duke, Carter was a three-technique defensive tackle in former head coach Mike Elko’s 4-2-5 base scheme (also saw snaps on the
edge). He became the first three-time team captain in Blue Devils history, although his senior season production fell short of what he put on film as a sophomore and
junior. Carter needs to keep adding moves to his rush attack, but he generates power from his get-off and transfers it to his hands to create initial movement in his
pass rush. He displays similar play strength, effort and ball-tracking versus the run, although he will need to be more efficient as a block shedder to be a relevant run
defender at the line of scrimmage in the NFL. Overall, Carter doesn’t have a true difference-making trait on the field, but he is smart, strong and very active. He
might never be a full-time starter, but he will give a team value as a rotational three-technique (even fronts) or five-technique (odd fronts).

GRADE: 4th-5th Round

59 minutes ago, mrags said:

If we’re expecting some 3rd rd rookie to come in and be a team leader and captain in his rookie year; we have more problems than I thought. 

I don't think that's what they meant, by adding these types of players, we shouldn't have any problems with them working hard and accepting the coaching, while also providing character and leadership down the road. It's a turnover league constantly refreshing what you lose. Which is an absolute must with the contracts the QBs are getting.

Edited by ScorpionZero

2 minutes ago, ScorpionZero said:

I don't think that's what they meant, by adding these types of players, we shouldn't have any problems with them working hard and accepting the coaching, while also providing character and leadership down the road. It's a turnover league constantly refreshing what you lose. Which is an absolute must with the contracts the QBs are getting.

Sure 

I like the depth they are starting to build along the DL, Daquan Jones is 32 and signed to a 2 year deal and Austin Johnson is 29 and signed a 2 year deal so there is tons of room for Carter to not only learn but gain experience in rotation. He's more of a 3 technique but has over 250+ snaps in 3 years at the 1 technique also so I'm not sure what the plan will be but I like the player as he was a great leader at Duke from what I read on a team that just lost a bunch of them so you can say it's not needed but I'd highly disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

No, this is classic McD apologist propaganda. 

It's McD's team, and his proficiency is defense. Frazier was a coordinator under McD's overall defensive philosophy. If he didn't like what Frazier was doing at any point during that time, he could have worked with him to make changes or fired him. It is the most nonsensical thing to say that if Frazier was such a big problem, that somehow McD is blameless when he held all the power to make any change he wanted and kept him for years. And yes, the D did do it again last year..."but injuries". 

Again, given McD's history of postseason failures and chokejobs...we need to give Allen enough to put up almost a perfect game, because that's what we've seen is needed to beat the Chiefs with McD holding us back. Allen was GREAT in 2 of those games and we still lost. It's just not enough, that is again the reality of the burden of having McD here. 

You seem to be forgetting the part that a big reason why we got to those games vs. Chiefs is because of the foundation McD built in the first place. It's not an accident that we've had a bunch of top 5 scoring defenses since he took over. 

I'm not trying to make excuses for him either because Reid clearly has McD's number, but claiming that he's a "burden" we need to overcome or battle "apologist propaganda" seems like gross hyperbole. 

Anyway, we clearly needed another DT to fill out the rotation. Hopefully, Carter is up to the challenge because he's going to play.

Edited by VW82

1 hour ago, joey greco said:

yea 4th and 5th rounders are sure things, it's all good.   or maybe you should use premium picks to enable the best player your franchise has ever had.  one or the other, i'm not sure which is best.   it does seem like depth wins super bowls though, not top end guys.

You missed your calling. You really ought to apply. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Where is another rookie WR going to play. Who are they benching. Allen supposedly asked for Keon Coleman who is going to be a starter here. I think we can all assume Shakir is going to have a much bigger role, Kincaid is going to be the primary weapon in year 2, they signed Curtis Samuel to a 8 million a year so he's playing. Cook has to get his share of receptions and you know that Knox will factor into the passing game at times.

I think they will draft another guy who can play outside on Day 3 for sure in case of injury and has ST's capability as well but that guy isn't going to be getting a ton of run unless its injury related.

Think Josh wanted a receiver that actually CATCHES the football when thrown to him?!? Thanks @NewErafor the shout out earlier. @HappyDayswasn't the only guy on the Coleman train. In fact I believe I called myself the conductor 😎

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Think Josh wanted a receiver that actually CATCHES the football when thrown to him?!? Thanks @NewErafor the shout out earlier. @HappyDayswasn't the only guy on the Coleman train. In fact I believe I called myself the conductor 😎

I shared some pro-Coleman ideation as the process carried on, especially following his combine gauntlet display. 

He started as a total red flag for me, given his jump ball proficiency. But the deeper I looked, the more I appreciated his skill and athleticism. He looks on tape like a long-striding, speed-gatherer...but also with short-area agility. Won't be a separation-demon who wins on footwork and technique, but will still probably win enough to make plays. I think the Bills offense under Brady will be perfect for him, with an assortment of now-routes and screens and slants and digs and nines...hopefully nothing too complicated or variably contingent on defensive alignments/coverages post-snap. 

• Like (+1) 1